• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Unhappy with BMW birthday gift, 22-year-old pushes car into river

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was darn glad to have that '60 Plymouth Valiant ex-Mormon missionary mo-beel. It beat walking to college, but wasn't exactly a 'chick-magnet'.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Hmm. I bought my first car the year I turned 21. I rode the city bus before that.

Dave

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I think I would agree with the parents that their son might have some issues. Maybe at 22 it's time for Mommy and Daddy to finally cut the purse strings and force this over-entitled, pampered child to figure out how to pay for a Jaguar himself and start learning how things work in the real, adult world. :rolleyes:

Grammarhero

Official TUGBBS Rescission Master
TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Grand Desert 77k, VV Williamsburg 4L/4 & 2/2
Former: Wyndham 276k, HGVC South Bend 1/1
Beat down

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, I feel the parents have mental issues.:confused: IMO.

I was very happy to drive a 58 Chrysler in 1969 with push buttons controls . :whooopie::whooopie::whooopie::whooopie:

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
What kind of charges would you press? It was his car, he could do as he pleased with it. Of course, he should be responsible for the costs to retrieve it.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I sense a what was your first car thread brewing. A red 59 chevy impala ragtop with cherry bomb mufflers, all show no go 283. It was rearended so one side was hammered out and the other was primered sheet metal. Dad paid $125 in 1971.

At one time it would have looked like this.

481524923e91c118aab20cd883366a03.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
My mom's old 1977 avocado green Ford Maverick. It was in horrible dangerous condition, so my dad "upgraded" me to an awful brown 1979 Chevy Chevette. I was spoiled! ;)
0*2GScRX8mWx7Sagva.jpg

38121730014_original.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: RX8

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
"Police claimed that the parents said their son suffers from undisclosed mental health issues, according to the Times. Officials reportedly don’t plan to make an arrest, as no complaints were filed."

"However, Akash’s father reportedly defended his son, denying that he ever “demanded a Jaguar” for his birthday and claiming the incident was an accident."

https://people.com/human-interest/22-year-old-pushes-bmw-into-canal-report/

All in all, he's a really good Dad though. ;)

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Ford Maverick was the worst car. Rick had one in high school, bought himself with his money from working at Village Inn. It sucked gas down like a toilet. I think it got 12 MPG, and it was a small car. Rick's dad was a firefighter, as Rick was, and his dad had a firefighter friend who had a son with a used car lot. That was supposed to be a great car. Rick had nothing but problems with it. It was pretty, red with a black stripe on the hood, but it was a piece of crap.

I got to drive our 1965 Ford Falcon, shifted on the column, and it was a great car. I wish I had that one today, but it was my mom's car, and the only times I got to drive it was when I could do an errand. Otherwise, I walked to school or Rick drove me. We were high school sweethearts and married at 18.

This kid in the article is too spoiled. This is what happens when people don't teach a kid the value of a dollar. I believe all kids should know that money doesn't grow on trees. Our kids had a car to drive, but they shared it, and then our son bought his own car, as did the others. Our middle son is the one that thinks he has to drive a fancy car, but he's earned it, so I do not begrudge it. He works like a crazy man, very driven. He has his dad's work ethic.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
BC4D5BF9-854E-4843-883B-0DF463E53ED6.jpeg

My gremlin would have looked something like this, including the fabulous purple color, but less the cool wheels and stripe. Those doors were the worst and wouldn’t open most of the time. I don’t know how many times I had to crawl through the back hatch to get into the car.

Last edited:

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
My first car was 67 Dodge D100 Pickup truck. I saved my summer earnings in High School and paid $400 for that truck. I thought it was great, though nothing but trouble. Think the driveshaft flew out a few times which as really annoying and probably scary as sin for the guy behind me....

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@RX8 Those memories are priceless and build character. Can't say that about a new BMW...

I think I can do worse than a green Maverick...Almost bought a lime green(!) Gremlin like in Wayne's World but bought a used one of these beauties instead. Didn't blow up but trunk leaked like a sieve and gave the car a musty odor. As a testament to quality, how many do you see on the road today? (0, nada!)

1971-Ford-Pinto-sedan.jpg

Last edited:

fillde

TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'll take a shiny new Mazda RX8:
730a2cba-f1fe-36cd-9987-0d2d72f761c3
members-of-the-world-automotive-media-look-over-the-2009-mazda-rx8-picture-id78993110

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
I sense a what was your first car thread brewing. A red 59 chevy impala ragtop with cherry bomb mufflers, all show no go 283. It was rearended so one side was hammered out and the other was primered sheet metal. Dad paid $125 in 1971.

At one time it would have looked like this.

481524923e91c118aab20cd883366a03.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Most of these cars from the 50's, 60's and 70s are worth a huge amount of money these days........

Sort of amazing as to how little they were worth back then and how much they fetch today.

I bought a 1960 Impala for $100 in 1972, and a 1964 Impala for $400 in 1973. Wish I still had them.

Last edited:

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most of these cars from the 50's, 60's and 70s are worth a huge amount of money these days........

Sort of amazing as to how little they were worth back then and how much they fetch today.

I bought a 1960 Impala for $100 in 1972, and a 1964 Impala in 1973. Wish I still had them.

1964 Pontiac Bonneville back in 1973. Gas started out at 38 cents a gallon and by the end of the year it was 55 cents a gallon.

12818787-1964-pontiac-bonneville-std.jpg

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
While we're sharing... My first car was a gold 1972 Gran Torino Sport, and I was very appreciative that my parents bought it for me. This was the only picture I found with the right color. Mine was in better shape, but being up in MN and the liberal use of salt on the roads, it did have some rust spots coming through. Fun car that I drove in HS and first couple years of college.

1972-Ford-Gran-Torino-e1507221925981-630x355.jpg

Kurt

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
Personally, I'll take a shiny new Mazda RX8:
730a2cba-f1fe-36cd-9987-0d2d72f761c3
members-of-the-world-automotive-media-look-over-the-2009-mazda-rx8-picture-id78993110

You have good taste! I had a shiny red RX8. That is where my user name came from.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
My first car was a 2 tone light blue 1978 Chevy Camaro Berlinetta. The problem was the other color was rust!

Here is a pic I found, mine didn’t have the fancy rear spoiler.
upload_2019-8-15_15-7-20.jpeg

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
101_0314.jpg

First car I had the pleasure of driving on my own was a big 1966 Country Squire station wagon. My brothers bogarted the 1963 Impala. The things I liked about the Country Squire was there was lots of room in the back and plenty of power under the hood. It was a true 70's party wagon. It was terrible on gas but we had it parked most of the time.

Bill

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
@RX8 Those memories are priceless and build character. Can't say that about a new BMW...

I think I can do worse than a green Maverick...Almost bought a lime green(!) Gremlin like in Wayne's World but bought a used one of these beauties instead. Didn't blow up but trunk leaked like a sieve and gave the car a musty odor. As a testament to quality, how many do you see on the road today? (0, nada!)

Yeah that's bad. While I was driving the sh*t-vette, the guy I was dating in college had a brown one of those. He was way better looking than the car!! My car was the nice one!! :doh:

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC

Oh yes, the memories are coming back that I must have suppressed all these years. I remember that the floorboard rusted out. I kept losing things out of the hole in the back seat floor. That back seat was also really only good for amputees because there was zero legroom. It was horrible in the snow too because it was rear wheel drive with no weight in the back (car looks like the trunk was sliced off). I remember being at a red light on level ground in the winter. When the light turned green I hit the gas and the car wasn’t going anywhere. On level ground the wheels were just spinning. I had to wait for the next green light to get enough momentum to go forward.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
My Dad supplied me a 1965 Ford Fairlane ... a 3 speed on the column. I never drove a 'stick' before and had to learn 'how to' by driving in our side yard. Before, I was driving a Ford Galaxie. The Fairlane went FAST and got pulled over several times .. the best being then the policeman DEMANDED I open the hood on the car ... and a tiny little engine was there. I never got TICKET with that car.

The prior car I drove was a Ford Galaxie ... which my speed living older brother TOOK after I went to bed one night without my permission (my mother let him). He wiped out a telephone pole .. but managed to drive home BEFORE the cops got there. And he and Dad hide the car in the garage. Which is WHY I was demoted to "the bought as its replacement" Fairlane. My grandmother had an afternoon tea session with my Dad ... who had given permission to brother use the Galaxie.

The first car I brought was a new Gold 4 door (1974 or 1075) Ford Marvick ... No air conditioning. Bucket seats. And somewheres .. years later I got a Ford Currier Pickup truck. It was the first of the small(er) pickups.

I still have my (older) Ranger small pickup 4/4 with extended cab. STX model. When I drive it, I always have people ASK me, if I would be interested in selling it. It has the jump seats in the back with the wing doors. It is RED.

Ford seems to have reverse the Ranger's death .... they are reviving the RANGER ... but I bet it will just not be as small as mine.