• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

MVC vs HRC - Owners that Own Both

Islnd

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been looking into buying a fixed diamond week in the Hyatt Residence Club program or MVC. After looking at the HRC locations and the opportunity of using Interval International to exchange into the Marriott locations I'm leaning more towards the HRC Diamond Week.

To me it seems like it could be more cost effective (initial resale purchase plus ongoing maint fees), have internal (through internal exchange) access to the HRC locations as well as Marriott through II, and with diamond points hopefully a pretty good success rate trading into Marriott.

For those that own both, what are your thoughts?

Thanks!

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I own Hyatt, Marriott and Vistana. I own a Hyatt diamond week (Sedona) that I have never visited. I own Marriott plat and gold weeks but am not enrolled in DC.

It really depends on where you want to go. I love Hyatt because of the High Sierra property. We go during ski season and I am able to get 4 - 4 night reservations out of my 1 diamond week. Perfect for us and a couple of other families that go on a group ski trip. We have visited Highlands but no where else in Hyatt.

For Marriott, we use that as a trader in II mostly for Hawaii and Tahoe (both timber lodge and grand residence).

If you have other specific questions, I can try to answer for you.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also will add I dont use my Hyatt week for trading in II. I have other weeks for that.

Ryan

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
A Hyatt Diamond week will be worth more points than lower season week, but the trading power in II of all points is the same. High season 2br requires 1,300 points, and it doesn't matter if you use all 1,300 points from a Bronze week, or 1,300 points from a 2,200-point Diamond week, the trading power will be the same.

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
We own both.

Your best bet for interval trading into Marriott is to use a Marriott to trade, because of the Marriott preference in II. Also, you can only search one year out with Hyatt deposits. So you miss some exchanges that might crop up >12 mo out.

Hyatt doesn’t have a Hyatt preference in Interval, so Marriott probably trades better into Hyatt than Hyatt does into Marriott.

However the Hyatt internal trading is definitely an advantage for Hyatt to Hyatt trading.

So... we use our Marriotts to trade for Marriotts (when we don’t stay at em). And we use our Hyatts to stay at Hyatts, or for non-Marriott trading in II.

You might consider getting a couple of EOY units- a Marriott EOY even 2BR lockout and a Hyatt EOY odd 2BR lockout might work well for you. The disadvantage of EOY Hyatt units is that you pay full club dues every year even though you only get points EOY. So effectively this increases your MF by around $200 over the two year cycle.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I've been looking into buying a fixed diamond week in the Hyatt Residence Club program or MVC. After looking at the HRC locations and the opportunity of using Interval International to exchange into the Marriott locations I'm leaning more towards the HRC Diamond Week.

To me it seems like it could be more cost effective (initial resale purchase plus ongoing maint fees), have internal (through internal exchange) access to the HRC locations as well as Marriott through II, and with diamond points hopefully a pretty good success rate trading into Marriott.

For those that own both, what are your thoughts?

Thanks!
Exchanging into Marriott for peak times at top resorts will not likely be consistently successful using Hyatt. I'd spend some time deciding what works best for you to use, then interpret the exchange options. Normally the best things to own and use are not good things to exchange.

Islnd

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own both.

Your best bet for interval trading into Marriott is to use a Marriott to trade, because of the Marriott preference in II. Also, you can only search one year out with Hyatt deposits. So you miss some exchanges that might crop up >12 mo out.

Hyatt doesn’t have a Hyatt preference in Interval, so Marriott probably trades better into Hyatt than Hyatt does into Marriott.

However the Hyatt internal trading is definitely an advantage for Hyatt to Hyatt trading.

So... we use our Marriotts to trade for Marriotts (when we don’t stay at em). And we use our Hyatts to stay at Hyatts, or for non-Marriott trading in II.

You might consider getting a couple of EOY units- a Marriott EOY even 2BR lockout and a Hyatt EOY odd 2BR lockout might work well for you. The disadvantage of EOY Hyatt units is that you pay full club dues every year even though you only get points EOY. So effectively this increases your MF by around $200 over the two year cycle.

Buying an EOY with each is an interesting concept that I will explore. The reason I was leaning with Hyatt is that since I live in TX they have a resort in TX that I could either buy into or trade and drive a few hours to get there. I could not find a MVC resort in TX. Also I read an article (I believe from Timeshare Guru) that looked into buying Hyatt to trade into Marriott. Seems like a good strategy.

However, can you please or someone else expand on the comment "Hyatt doesn’t have a Hyatt preference in Interval, so Marriott probably trades better into Hyatt than Hyatt does into Marriott." Is there such a thing as preference within II? How does that work? I understand the value that my Hyatt points would have in II, but how does "preference" from one brand to the other works in II?

Islnd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Buying an EOY with each is an interesting concept that I will explore. The reason I was leaning with Hyatt is that since I live in TX they have a resort in TX that I could either buy into or trade and drive a few hours to get there. I could not find a MVC resort in TX. Also I read an article (I believe from Timeshare Guru) that looked into buying Hyatt to trade into Marriott. Seems like a good strategy.

However, can you please or someone else expand on the comment "Hyatt doesn’t have a Hyatt preference in Interval, so Marriott probably trades better into Hyatt than Hyatt does into Marriott." Is there such a thing as preference within II? How does that work? I understand the value that my Hyatt points would have in II, but how does "preference" from one brand to the other works in II?

I'll even add if there is such a thing as buying in a resort that has "high trading value". Meaning if is all based on points why does it matter that my unit is at a resort with high value. How is this "high value" incorporated in II exchange power?

dagger1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch, Hyatt Main Street Station, Hyatt Ka’anapali; Marriott Ko’Olina, Marriott Waiohai; Marriott Maui Ocean Club; Wyndham CWA points, Worldmark credits.

I don’t think you can trade Hyatt-Hyatt in II. Hyatt To Hyatt trades can only be done internally in the Hyatt system. I think this is the case...

DAman

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t think you can trade Hyatt-Hyatt in II. Hyatt To Hyatt trades can only be done internally in the Hyatt system. I think this is the case...
That is correct Hyatt to Hyatt has to be done internally.

You cannot book Getaways into Hyatt’s from your Hyatt II account.

So much about II trading is subject to change. I have been successful getting multiple ski weeks every year at the Marriott Timber Lodge using my Hyatt points. But I’m waiting for an early March 2020 week to come available so I can eplus a Hyatt studio unit into another ski week. They usually show up the first week of July and so far nothing.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points

Yes there’s preference for trading in II for both Marriott and Vistana properties. Meaning that Marriott exchanges match first to people with Marriott deposits. Once those matches are made, anything that’s left (sometimes nothing) goes to people with non-Marriott deposits. Hyatt deposits are pretty high in that second tier pecking order, but they still are lower on the priority list than Marriott deposits.

Vistana works similarly.

But Hyatt does not. You can’t exchange into a Hyatt at all with a Hyatt deposit in II. You can of course trade in HRC, the internal trading system for Hyatt.

Where Hyatt has an advantage in II is in the automatic discount on points. You might need 750 points to make a studio exchange into another Hyatt via HRC. But only 430 points to make a studio exchange into a Marriott via II. If you can get it. So a 2200 pt 2BR unit could trade into 5 weeks of studios in II. And so on, that’s the most extreme example but the concept holds- in II, if you can get the top tier trades, you can wind up stretching your points pretty far.

Yes, Hyatt has a resort in Texas and Marriott does not. Having your owned resort being within driving distance is a big plus IMO. But a Hyatt will never be as good of an Interval trader into Marriotts as a Marriott will be.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
I'll even add if there is such a thing as buying in a resort that has "high trading value". Meaning if is all based on points why does it matter that my unit is at a resort with high value. How is this "high value" incorporated in II exchange power?

For Hyatt, all points are equal. Internally, it doesn’t matter the origin of the points. In II, the origin of your points doesn’t matter, but for trading into Marriotts those Hyatt points are always of lesser value than Marriott deposits.

But not all II trading is based on points. If you deposit a Marriott legacy week (ie not Destination Club points), then the old “high trading value” concept still applies- the resort, location, season, specific week deposited and unit size (but not view as I understand it) all matter a lot.

Marriott and Hyatt simply work differently. Learn the differences and see which seems best for you. Hyatt does well in II but sometimes how well is a little overstated IMO.