• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Room theft at timeshare- rental guest

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
One of my rental guests informed me that he had his camera and wallet stolen from his timeshare unit. He has filed a police report. The timeshare's security department is also investigating.

Has this happened to anyone or to a renter at one of your timeshares? What do you think I should do. Should I start advocating with the resort or should I try to stay out of it?

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I’d stay out if it. A police report was filed, and resort security are looking into it. This could have happened anywhere, and I don’t see how you could even remotely be responsible. Getting involved will just add another layer to things. Do you have something to add that would help recover the stolen items?

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
^^^^What Dave said ^^^^ You have nothing to gain by being involved more than telling the renter, "I'm sorry this happened to you."

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Just a reminder, if your guest causes damage, or steals something, you are on the hook in most cases.

It reminds me of a news report last Winter where the doorbell ring caught a vacation rental tenant hauling off everything that was not locked down.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the sake of my own curiosity, is daily maid service a feature of this timeshare? My timeshares seem to put me on 'ignore' when I'm there. Except the Mexican ones.

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
Agree with them not a can I would open up.
Needs to be taken up with the resort front desk as any other problems that might come up with a reservation.
They are only using your reservation

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
As otherwise said stay out of it. Let the renter, Police, and timeshare management folks deal with it. Any loss should be covered under the Home Owners Policy,

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I'll just add this thought - do you know your renter did not do something silly - such as leave a door unlocked or open?
Let the people there handle this. If I were renting from someone, and this happened to me it would be quite the stretch to look to you for any assistance or blame...

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
For the sake of my own curiosity, is daily maid service a feature of this timeshare? My timeshares seem to put me on 'ignore' when I'm there. Except the Mexican ones.
It seems like the majority of timeshares on RCI have the disclaimer: "daily housekeeping is not an option at this resort" or something to that effect.
I'll just add this thought - do you know your renter did not do something silly - such as leave a door unlocked or open?
Let the people there handle this. If I were renting from someone, and this happened to me it would be quite the stretch to look to you for any assistance or blame...
As other have said, I'd stay out of it. As a police officer, I've never contacted a landlord when a renter gets burglarized unless the landlord is a suspect or known to enter the property illegally. This is between the renter, the resort, and the police.
If the renter left the room unsecured, it's still a burglary which is a felony in most states. Just because you leave a door unlocked does not give someone the right to go inside and take another's belongings. If the door was locked, that points to housekeeping/maintenance in my opinion.

Bailey#1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC SSR BWV, Avenue Plaza, Redington Ambassador
I might want to call the timeshare's security up to make sure nothing from the timeshare unit got stolen that you may be responsible for.

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Thanks everyone. I am trying to stay out of it but the renter is trying to pull me into it.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks everyone. I am trying to stay out of it but the renter is trying to pull me into it.

To what end? What does the renter think you can do that isn’t already being done?

Dave

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To what end? What does the renter think you can do that isn’t already being done?

Dave
I think he is hoping I can compensate him for his loss if the timeshare does not. He is asking if I have any insurance that would cover this as the "owner" of the timeshare.

RX8

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC and DVC
If someone rents through Priceline, Kayak or Orbitz would they be responsible if something was stolen? This shouldn’t be any different.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
That is terrible, you rent so reasonably and now he expects you to cover his loss.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
How cheeky to ask you for compensation!

Reactions: Tia

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I wonder if he’s trying to scam you. Was there really a theft?

Dave

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wonder if he’s trying to scam you. Was there really a theft?

Dave
I don't know. This is the second year in a row that he rented so I would give him the benefit of the doubt.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Renters at times can be insensitive to the owner. The renters that we had at SBP last month really took advantage of us. They were a big group, there for a dance competition, a bunch of dance moms. One mom left for a hotel and demanded a full refund, and one stayed and demanded half of her money back. We complied with both demands because we were not there to see if they were being dramatic.

I would love to have had the resort actually help us out with any of that, but they wouldn't . The resort basically decided they don't have to refund us for unusual bug infestations. I am still angry, but we rent a lot of units each year, so we ate it. Sure, they gave us four days back for one week, but I needed a week to deposit into II, and then I would have been made whole. But nope. I am out maintenance fees because they literally did admit they had a bug problem.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

Maybe email the resort and ask what their policy is for stolen property and forward it to the renter. If they didn't have trip insurance this is their bad. I wouldn't offer any more help than needed if something like this happens. It seems like a can of worms.

Bill

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
Many (20+?) years ago we had a timeshare stay in the Poconos. One day as we were leaving our townhouse for the day we noticed the mid-week cleaning staff at the next unit. When we returned later that afternoon we found the front door to our unit wide open! DH left the kids & I sitting in the car while he walked over to the office. A staff member followed him back and the two of them entered our unit and found everything in order and absolutely none of our possessions missing. The staff member said the cleaning staff must have forgotten to close the door and he apologized. The resort didn't offer any type of compensation and we didn't ask for anything.

When our DD was on the cleaning staff at Carriage Ridge/Hills timeshare resort a guest complained to the office that his very expensive laptop had disappeared during the mid-week cleaning that DD had done while he was golfing. When the resort manager was walking over he noticed a woman rearranging things in the back of an SUV parked in front of the unit. The manager went into the unit to write up the report while they waited for the police, in doing so he asked which car was the guest's. The guest pointed at the SUV parked in front of the unit. The manager asked the guest to let him look in the SUV and of course the guest's wife who had now returned to the unit, said it wasn't necessary because nobody could have entered it since she had been out shopping in it most of the day. When the police arrived the manager told the officer what he had seen. The officer got the guest to open the SUV and there was the computer under a blanket. The guest's wife admitted that she had hidden it in hopes her DH would stop working on their vacation and they could get a monetary compensation for the computer to cover the cost of their stay! DD didn't get an apology from the guest or his wife but her manager did say how sorry he was that she was falsely accused.

~Diane

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I think he is hoping I can compensate him for his loss if the timeshare does not. He is asking if I have any insurance that would cover this as the "owner" of the timeshare.

Ask him if he has any renter's insurance.

:cool:

&, anyone seen my laptop?

;)

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
Can we know what timeshare this happened at?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Can we know what timeshare this happened at?
It was a little motel conversion water park in the Wisconsin Dells. Polynesian Resort and Water Park.