• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My Realtor Interviews and Fear of Selling Our Home

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Get a notebook. Put in dividers and labels such as “flooring” - “lighting”. - “appliances” “utilities “ etc.

You have everything in one place, easy to access. Relieves a lot of stress

Moving and building are stressful but concentrate on the positive. You have a contract! You have a rental! You are going to live exactly where you want to live!!

Building usually takes longer than expected. Be patient-it will all work out wheth you stress it not.

In addition to a notebook, get one of those expando file folders with a dozen or so compartments. Then you can shove magazine photos and newspaper articles into the slots. I still have mine from the move here, and now that I am committed to staying with a Mexicany/folkarty decor scheme when we move again, I have my reference materials.

taffy19

Reaction score
In addition to a notebook, get one of those expando file folders with a dozen or so compartments. Then you can shove magazine photos and newspaper articles into the slots. I still have mine from the move here, and now that I am committed to staying with a Mexicany/folkarty decor scheme when we move again, I have my reference materials.
What a great idea to stay organized. :)

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

I haven't seen that featured on HGTV....yet!

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
Being in the business for so many years I have seen deals blow up because a seller pushed the closing date further out. Job loses, family emergencies, sickness, credit rating drops, etc. I always say close as soon as you can and get the money.

So true about closing and taking possession asap.

The very first thing I do is make sure there are consequences for the seller and giving possession. Well, sort of! I just bought my house and worked directly with the seller. I stayed in touch to make sure things were staying on track. My sellers were so sweet. They didn't cash my Earnest Money and then lost the check. I gave them a new one and it all worked out, beautifully and quickly!

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Being in the business for so many years I have seen deals blow up because a seller pushed the closing date further out. Job loses, family emergencies, sickness, credit rating drops, etc. I always say close as soon as you can and get the money.

Right. That is what our attorney says. And remember- this buyer is pregnant and expecting in October.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Get a notebook. Put in dividers and labels such as “flooring” - “lighting”. - “appliances” “utilities “ etc.

You have everything in one place, easy to access. Relieves a lot of stress

Moving and building are stressful but concentrate on the positive. You have a contract! You have a rental! You are going to live exactly where you want to live!!

Building usually takes longer than expected. Be patient-it will all work out wheth you stress it not.

I am super organized as I am OCD so that is not the issue. I have a pad and lists. for everything. including when I am doing laundry. It is just a lot to deal with even for someone like me. I am older and I am handling it myself for the most part since hubby has to work. The constant decision making is a major pressure. And it's not so much the "things" themselves- it is that now we will have to live in this tiny house that is old and outdated and not ours for who knows how long through the winter surrounded by boxes.

Then there were these vacations in the way. The timing. And it is not like we can move our stuff in our car slowly over time to this rental either. Somehow we have to get out of our house and have our stuff stored and then close so they can move to our house and we can move into theirs. if we stay in a hotel we have an issue with my husband's hunting rifles and guns and our super heavy small safe that has our valuables and important documents (deeds, wills, trusts, gold coins, passports, checkbooks, etc.- EVERYTHING!). Where do we put those while we are in a hotel? Can't keep them in the car? Maybe we could use a hotel safe for those?It's so crazy.....

See- things like this - the dirty details- make everything even worse.

I just hope our new house gets built at all. If I go there next week and there is just a pile of dirt on that lot I am going to lose it.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
You should still go to Utah! If your house isn’t ready anyway, you planned that trip, go and enjoy it. Let the buyers figure out their stuff and make a closing that is convenient for you.
You will be happy you went on vacation!
Silentg

Not realistic. No way can we move before 8/26 (at all!) and go to UTAH the following week. And no way can we go to Utah right BEFORE we move if the buyer even accepts the later date of 9/30. It is just too much. And my husband still has to work through a lot of this.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

That's a good idea, but frankly, decorating the rental is not something I am concerned about. It's not our house. I plan on barely unpacking anything except necessities. We can barely fit our furniture into it, if we can fit it at all.

And for our new house the decorating style will be simple- hardly any. That is how small the new house is. I am into the shaker look- less is more. No clutter at all. Most walls bare or just one picture. Let the house speak for itself. At some point will just have to have it painted. I am having the same cabinets and granite counters as in the kitchen. Carrying through the white and gray theme. Outside of the house will be dark gray. Bedroom rugs will be gray and the other like a taupe.

Get my style? LOL!

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am super organized as I am OCD so that is not the issue. I have a pad and lists. for everything. including when I am doing laundry. It is just a lot to deal with even for someone like me. I am older and I am handling it myself for the most part since hubby has to work. The constant decision making is a major pressure. And it's not so much the "things" themselves- it is that now we will have to live in this tiny house that is old and outdated and not ours for who knows how long through the winter surrounded by boxes.

Then there were these vacations in the way. The timing. And it is not like we can move our stuff in our car slowly over time to this rental either. Somehow we have to get out of our house and have our stuff stored and then close so they can move to our house and we can move into theirs. if we stay in a hotel we have an issue with my husband's hunting rifles and guns and our super heavy small safe that has our valuables and important documents (deeds, wills, trusts, gold coins, passports, checkbooks, etc.- EVERYTHING!). Where do we put those while we are in a hotel? Can't keep them in the car? Maybe we could use a hotel safe for those?It's so crazy.....

See- things like this - the dirty details- make everything even worse.

I just hope our new house gets built at all. If I go there next week and there is just a pile of dirt on that lot I am going to lose it.
Can I make a suggestion -- worry about things when and if they happen. For instance "IF you stay in a hotel". Cross that bridge if it happens. In the meantime, try not to worry about the valuables and important documents. I had a similar move, home build a few years ago. I just kept repeating to myself "keep your eye on the prize".

Also -- repeat and reference the Serenity Prayer. It really is a way to get our thoughts grounded.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Can I make a suggestion -- worry about things when and if they happen. For instance "IF you stay in a hotel". Cross that bridge if it happens. In the meantime, try not to worry about the valuables and important documents. I had a similar move, home build a few years ago. I just kept repeating to myself "keep your eye on the prize".

Also -- repeat and reference the Serenity Prayer. It really is a way to get our thoughts grounded.

Yes. You are right. I have a hard time not thinking ahead. I have always been a proactive type. Hence my need for alcohol to shut my brain down. LOL!

Last edited:

Teresa

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to do. I'm a retired real estate agent (buyer's agent).

Life is short. Relatively speaking. If you MUST get out of your house because you can't afford it that's one thing. But if you're going to try to replace it with something that costs more money - this is what I don't get. So I'm gonna go with relocation is necessary.

My advice? Figure out what you REALLY want to do. Then figure if you can afford to do that and do other things too (like travel). A house is an asset. It should serve you (not the other way around). The property doesn't have the memories - you do. I'm guessing you have already decided to sell but are now second-guessing yourself (perfectly understandable). Why? Try to 'trust your gut' on this one regarding selling. Don't let ANY real estate agent 'beat you up' regarding price, terms, if you should sell, etc. Best way to do that is to be very upfront and honest with the agents and then pick the one you can tolerate (and seems to understand your vision). In Ohio (where I am licensed), the agents never make any decisions for their clients (not allowed by law - although some clients asked their agent what they would do and then they do that). Sellers decide to lower their price (or raise it). Sellers decide to take an offer, reject it or counteroffer. Unless you get a full price offer (per your listing agreement) and not offering any concessions to buyer (unless that's in your listing contract) you would owe no commission if you don't sell. Yes - you'll get the reputation that you won't budge and it could be harder later to find an agent to work with. But probably not. Sellers who won't/don't budge on anything are considered 'difficult' by agents and buyers alike. In the end, you have to do what is best for you. I often say that if a seller rejects an offer or counteroffers, they have sorta re-purchased their own house back for what they are at price-wise. If you're okay with that (not just hoping for a better offer but truly rejecting a current offer) then you live with that.

BTW, even though it seems like the seller is paying the commission to the agents, the buyer is actually paying it - by paying whatever price is agreed on. It's just coming out of the seller's proceeds. I used to get in trouble with my broker for saying that. The buyer pays for everything. It's just that the seller has agreed to allow their proceeds to be diminished by some of the costs to make it more attractive to the buyer on paper. Potato, po- tah-toe. Ask whichever agent you pick to prepare a 'net sheet' to show you what you will net after costs of selling (commissions, fees, etc.) You really don't care what the percentage is - just the net proceeds. A higher rate will generally generate more 'traffic' (i.e. it will be shown more). Most people in Ohio will pay a certain percent on the first $100K then a lower percent on the remainder. Commissions are all negotiable when you're listing.

Another BTW - whatever you have into it - doesn't matter. If you bought the place for $50K (just throwing example numbers out here), spent $100K over the years then expect to get your money out of it when the market says different - too bad. BUT, using the same thinking, if the market says the house is worth $500K you wouldn't expect to just get what you have into it - you'd want what the market says it's worth. Same rule applies for 'below what you have into it'. Market dictates.

After we get past the rental we will be forced to live in for awhile, it will be really hard to find something to buy- especially in NH- with the quality of what we have now, in our price point.

It's like we did all this work (and $$) these past few years and have been enjoying the fruits of our labor and now will be giving them up.

Meanwhile, a buyers agent in NH just sent me an email and said she has sold 4 homes in the community we want to buy in and they are almost built out which we know. :(

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
BTW, even though it seems like the seller is paying the commission to the agents, the buyer is actually paying it - by paying whatever price is agreed on. It's just coming out of the seller's proceeds. I used to get in trouble with my broker for saying that. The buyer pays for everything. It's just that the seller has agreed to allow their proceeds to be diminished by some of the costs to make it more attractive to the buyer on paper.

When I was contemplating between using one of 2 agents for the sale of my previous home, the one who used that line that it was actually the buyer who paid for the buyer commission did not get my business. I, as the seller, pay for commission for both sides, because the full amount comes out of MY proceeds.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

I agree. And do not ask to change the closing date. Be accurate in establishing the close date. I had trouble with my last 2 sales because the buyers were not accurate with closing dates, then they expect me to change my life to accommodate them. Set a date 5 days later and if you get funding sooner, move it up if possible. The seller will appreciate this if they are not living in the house.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Well- we did ask as the sellers only because I can't physically handle the move by myself in 2 weeks. i really just can't. My husband has to keep his job and he can't handle anything at night after a 12 hour day.

We are willing to cancel our Utah trip in Sept., lose the airfare or whatever else and close maybe 9/15- but 8/26 will give me a stroke. We did ask for 9/30 and I know their atty called our atty today about that. We are willing to sign the lease for 9/1. We just need more time for the logistics. We are not robots and we are in our 60's.

Believe me, we just want to get this over with. We received the lease today and just have a couple of things to clarify with our atty. We are willing to pay them their asking rent and deal with all the unpleasantness and expense of this because we know we have to sell this house and these people were meant to have it. We understand totally how they are anxious to move as they are having a baby. We are just being realistic.

Hoping it all works out.

Meanwhile, the NH realtor called and claims they are pouring our footings today. (Really? She said they did that over a week ago!). She said they should be pouring the foundation this week. She also said now they are short on framers and the builder has to hire a framing company. Said the same thing happened last year with the other builder. Said this will cause him more expense. Well- I don't want to hear it. Next week we hope to meet with her re electrical stuff, and flooring as we will be at our timeshare in NH. I also hope the kitchen lady can meet with us.

Spent most of this afternoon on this stuff- there goes a half day of vacation just as I was hoping to unwind. Oh well...has to be done. Tonight- The Comedy Club and drinks! I haven't laughed all year!

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't read through this entire thread, just the last few pages and wanted to offer my thoughts. This sounds strangely familiar as we were in a similar situation more than 30 years ago. We were expecting our second child and had outgrown our too small first home. We signed a contract with a builder and were supposed to take occupancy in four months. It was not too far from us, so we would go to check on the building progress periodically. We got the same story time after time. The road wasn't even in, no utilities were installed and still the realtor said they were on target for our closing date! Long story short, we had sold our house and fortunately, DH had our attorney add a clause to the contract on the sale of our house that we would be permitted to rent back our home for an indeterminate time until our new house was completed. The couple who bought our house agreed and so we paid rent for seven months past the original date of completion to remain in our home. It wasn't ideal, of course, but it caused the least stress and we only had to move once. Have you considered approaching the couple who are buying your house with a similar arrangement? Who knows? They may be receptive to the idea.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you cannot complete the move yourself before a certain date. Hire people.

If your son is local to your new build has he driven there a few times to take a look? Have him take a few pictures and if anything that might speed process up but at the least you see where they are at.

I would do everything I could not to have a double move. Possible triple move as if your house is sold you move to rent somewhere close and your husband retires do you keep staying in that rental or find a rental nearby your new house.

If I had to move I would have the current buyer "pay for the move and rental" by holding out for a higher price. The move would be factored into the decision on the price to accept. That probably works better for places in a hot market where there are lots of interested buyers. Most likely your new house will be delayed possibly longer then you could imagine. You could likely crap out though and stuck with two houses for longer then you like. Have you decided in a perfect world how long you would like to own both houses? The offer to be able to rent back your house sounds pretty good.

Another possible option is to fake lease the buyers house for the amount of time they need to have a signed lease for to get the mortgage. But when your house is ready you can break the lease penalty free. That last part probably cannot be in the lease they show the bank but could be another contract.

Try not to loose the buyers you have now as you stated previously the market is slow and the area not appreciated. Not likely to appreciate in the short term either based on that.

PrairieGirl

TUG Member
Reaction score
MaryAnn, have you looked into moving/storage pods? That way you could pack up all the stuff that goes to your new house that you won't need in the short-term rental just once. The question might be where to store them until your house is done, but since the property you are selling is so large, maybe the new owners would just let you leave them there. It should save you lots of worry, you could get them delivered now and start filling them. Heck, fill up one with the stuff for the rental and the other(s) with the stuff for the new house and take your holiday to Utah!

And look for help loading your stuff into them. I had a friend who hired the local fire department guys to come unload her moving van. Firemen are strong people and have lots of time when they aren't on shift. Or maybe the local high school football team. If you want to make this happen you can!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
MaryAnn, have you looked into moving/storage pods? That way you could pack up all the stuff that goes to your new house that you won't need in the short-term rental just once. The question might be where to store them until your house is done, but since the property you are selling is so large, maybe the new owners would just let you leave them there. It should save you lots of worry, you could get them delivered now and start filling them. Heck, fill up one with the stuff for the rental and the other(s) with the stuff for the new house and take your holiday to Utah!

And look for help loading your stuff into them. I had a friend who hired the local fire department guys to come unload her moving van. Firemen are strong people and have lots of time when they aren't on shift. Or maybe the local high school football team. If you want to make this happen you can!

That's a great idea!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Mary Ann, I am happy that the first people who looked at your house made an offer and that it seems to be working out. You were concerned that your house, due to location, might not appeal to a wide number of buyers thus being hard to sell. So what a blessing that someone wanted to buy it so quickly. I agree with others that you should close as soon as possible, regardless of vacation plans. Especially since the wife is pregnant. It stands to reason that she would be limited in her ability to move at a later date and want to be settled in before the baby arrives.

I may have missed this from comments above, but have you requested to close on, and rent back, your house for another month or two?

Whenever I am feeling stressed about all that I have to do and the unknown, I tell myself, "Just do the next thing." You are organized. Take your list and just do the next thing that needs to be done. Deep breaths! :)

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Do you have a ratified contract? If so, you have a date to move of 8/26. If not, is it worth messing up your sale to get more time? As a pregnant buyer, I’d be a bit miffed to not move until close to due date. I’d ask for 9/1 but not any later. Just imho.
You can move by 8/26 if you had to. It’s hard to pack up everything but just do it. Start with 50 large Rubbermaid bins, pack up almost everything except essentials and put in a pod or storage unit. We made 10+ trips over the weekend in our car once. After final move, give the bins away or use for storage.
Who cares what a rental looks like if it is clean and meets your needs. You can be excited or stressed. It’s a mindset. If you view as an adventure, you’ll do OK. Once we lived in 6 hotels in 8 weeks with 3 toddlers and canceled a trip home for Christmas to close on NYE. New Year’s Day everyone got stomach flu in new house and strep throat and 1 had to overnight in ER. We laugh now about our 1st night in new house.
You survived last year at your job and left with your head held high.
You can do this!
Elaine (ps. Just missed you at Smuggler’s. We left on sat).