• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How many points and what do you do with them?

hgvcowner88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
HGVC Tuscany Village
HGVC Boulevard
I'm new and have been going through the forum and looking at all the posts as well as the discussions of elite status (and the points required to get there).

I currently own an EOY 3500 Platinum at the Elara and am in the process of getting more points. Ideally I was thinking about getting 7000 points EOY so I end up with 10500 points EOY. That seems like a crazy huge number of points that I could never possibly use if it was annually. But for the people who have that many points (or more) annually, what do you do with them? How do you spend them? I like the HGVC Resorts but it's not like they're everywhere I want to go. So in that case do you transfer to RCI? Or just plan an extra vacation cash? Do you let family members use them? With some of our bonus points (yes purchased direct from Hilton, I know better now), we're going to take the kids and go to Hawaii for a week in Gold season, get a massive suite (penthouse, 3 bedroom) for 7500 points. But realistically, we could stretch our points way farther if we wanted a smaller suite. So is that what everyone does? Gets massive suites all the time? Or takes a bunch of shorter vacations always during Platinum season instead of Gold season?

I'd love to have some inspiration on this, though maybe then I'll end up wanting to buy an annual contract :p

Looking forward to reading the responses!

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Welcome to Tug. Elara is a terrific resort that we have traded into with our points. We have a 7k and 5250 bHC annual. We easily use the points. Mostly NYC, Vegas and HI every year. HI is by the week and everything else are long weekends. We have also traveled to Italy, Orlando, Carlsbad, Cabo. Number of points depends on your travel situation and budget. We use RCI too. Often bring family so larger units. Love the flexibility of the program.

Last edited:

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have 5250 bHC and 10K at Flamingo (2x5k). Between New York weekends/long weekends and 3-4 day trips to Hawai'i Island, we use most of it. And we do throw in the occasional Vegas trip :)

As a travel company I used to walk past in Boston had on their storefront:

Go Away!

Often

Cheers,

hgvcowner88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
HGVC Tuscany Village
HGVC Boulevard
We go to Vegas every year so that's easy. But we just go for a long weekend in Gold season so it's about 960 points for a studio (the kids aren't really old enough to enjoy Vegas much). I'm in California too btw! When you're deciding where to vacation, do you choose the location first? Or do you see where the HGVC resorts are and then pick one of those places (or where the RCI resorts are)?

brp

TUG Member
Reaction score
The periodic Vegas trips are more spur-of-the-moment. Big Island and New York we usually book about 9 months out (as soon as Club season opens, or close to it). We've not done too many HGVC locations yet as we do a bunch of other trips each year that dont have HGVC locations. Of course, we all vacate differently :)

Join Tug as a member and stick around. Good to have more Californians in the mix...particularly Bay Area :)

Cheers.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Yes, the location of the resorts has gotten us to try some new locations we wouldn't have considered namely, Italy, NYC, Cabo, DC. On the bucket list: Miami, Portugal, Maui, Cozumel, Japan, ski weeks; On RCI list: Disneyland, Tradewinds Cruise (French Poly, Fiji, Caribbean), More Cabo. Being in Calif, we will never visit south Florida resorts (other than Miami/Key West) or South Carolina beaches.

hgvcowner88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
HGVC Tuscany Village
HGVC Boulevard
Yes, the location of the resorts has gotten us to try some new locations we wouldn't have considered namely, Italy, NYC, Cabo, DC. On the bucket list: Miami, Portugal, Maui, Cozumel, Japan, ski weeks; On RCI list: Disneyland, Tradewinds Cruise (French Poly, Fiji, Caribbean), More Cabo. Being in Calif, we will never visit south Florida resorts (other than Miami/Key West) or South Carolina beaches.
I like the idea of the South Carolina beaches but they're definitely difficult to get to from California. I would love to take the kids to Disneyland through RCI. I always check. The most I have seen is one night in the middle of the week. So then how many trips do you take yearly? Just two?

hgvcowner88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
HGVC Tuscany Village
HGVC Boulevard
The periodic Vegas trips are more spur-of-the-moment. Big Island and New York we usually book about 9 months out (as soon as Club season opens, or close to it). We've not done too many HGVC locations yet as we do a bunch of other trips each year that dont have HGVC locations. Of course, we all vacate differently :)

Join Tug as a member and stick around. Good to have more Californians in the mix...particularly Bay Area :)

Cheers.
How do you use all those points if you mostly do other trips? Just do NY and HI every year?

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
We own 12450 annual points at W 57th St in New York. Technically that is two weeks in a studio. However, I usually manage to stretch that to 18 or more days in a one bedroom by going in low season (August) and sometimes avoiding weekends. We use those points exclusively in New York.

BTW this in only one of the many timeshare systems we own in. We are now retired and spend 6 to 8 months a year in timeshares.

OMC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land
We have 10,500 EY. Bought in 2017. I have not yet managed to avoid having to carry points forward but that is mostly because we end up renting when we go to Marco Island since it is so hard to use points there in March and because our resale account came with 10,500 carry forward points when we bought. We always get upgraded rooms if available at this stage. I expect to start borrowing in 2020 after a big family trip to Ocean Enclave. We are a family of 5 so I wanted to be sure we had lots of points available for 3 bedrooms when available.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I like the idea of the South Carolina beaches but they're definitely difficult to get to from California. I would love to take the kids to Disneyland through RCI. I always check. The most I have seen is one night in the middle of the week. So then how many trips do you take yearly? Just two?

This is our first trip to Disneyland using RCI/timeshare. We usually use hotels. We had an ongoing search (OGS) that hit 18 mos ago. You need to have an OGS and plan ahead.

The newer resorts like Maui will require more points so you may need to bank/borrow to get a room. Annual allows that over 3 years i.e. if you have 5250 annual then in year 2 you will have 15750 (bank year 1 to year 2; borrow from year 3) to spend on a week in Maui or Grand Islander or Ocean Tower premium room. Not sure if an EOY of 10,500 would work the same way because there might be limits on banking/borrowing.

Last edited:

hgvcowner88

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elara
HGVC Tuscany Village
HGVC Boulevard

Cheers.
I joined as a paid member but think I did it wrong because it asked me to create a user ID and password. Hmmm... Happy to support the forum given all the info!

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
We have 34,800 annual points, family of three. It seems a bit crazy but we have no problem using them.

First off, two weeks are fixed 51 and 52 on Marco Island, and we use our fixed weeks almost every year, so that is 14,000 points.

Then I have a fixed ski week 1BR+ at Valdoro which I use, so that is 6200 points.

The remaining 14,600 points usually include a summer full week somewhere, plus I make several 3-day weekend ski season reservations at Valdoro every year. I think I have 4 or 5 reservations for this coming ski season. Throw in the other occasional trips (we're heading to Chicago in September for a long weekend this year, we were in Las Vegas last fall), and that takes care of our points.

Also, having so many points, we do tend to splurge a bit more. The three of us could fit in a 1BR, but will often get a 2BR instead so our daughter has a bit more privacy. With the point structure of some of the newer resorts, it will make going there a bit easier as well.

BTW, all purchases were resale, so even though it has been a significant investment, it is was way less than anything direct from HGVC. We are comfortable with our maintenance fee commitment, and as we approach retirement we see ourselves traveling more so I don't see an issue with not being able to use all our points in the foreseeable future. But when that time comes, I feel confident we will not have an issue divesting as all of our weeks are Platinum so there will be demand for them. My guess is that our daughter will want some of them, but I'm not counting on that. And for those who constantly complain on these forums about what to do after they no longer want their timeshares, I built my "exit plan" in from day 1 -- no need to insist that the HOA be burdened handling my exit plan.

Kurt

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Own and pay mf for 63.4k points annually. Very easy to use at lagoon tower, grand islander, Hokulani and Mcalpin in south beach every year. We live on Oahu so very easy to use those points during the summer and holidays with extended family.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Remy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club on the Boulevard, Hyatt Residence Club Wild Oak Ranch
9,600 points with HGVC that we primarily use for several midweek stays at Valdoro and one longer trip each year to Hawaii or Florida. We typically use open season for December Valdoro since its drivable last-minute. It just works out that skiing midweek is less crowded and less expensive points-wise. I always borrow from future years so it seems like a lot more travel in some years than 9,600 points will buy. We also go for 2BR for most trips. 3BR if we have friends joining us to ski.

magmue

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: Kingsland
West 57th
Worldmark
Whale Pointe fractional
Point at Poipu (deed)
Lawai Beach Resort
Kauai Beach Villas

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
Own and pay mf for 63.4k points annually. Very easy to use at lagoon tower, grand islander, Hokulani and Mcalpin in south beach every year. We live on Oahu so very easy to use those points during the summer and holidays with extended family.

Wow, I just read this post carefully and had to comment. You live on Oahu and have lots of points and you use most of your points in Honolulu! We live on Long Island and fly once a year to Honolulu to stay at the HHV for many nights with our points so we understand your attraction. That is why we JUST bought the Wailana Condo right across the street from the HHV because we want the LOCATION. We won't have to use our points at the HHV to get the location.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Wow, I just read this post carefully and had to comment. You live on Oahu and have lots of points and you use most of your points in Honolulu! We live on Long Island and fly once a year to Honolulu to stay at the HHV for many nights with our points so we understand your attraction. That is why we JUST bought the Wailana Condo right across the street from the HHV because we want the LOCATION. We won't have to use our points at the HHV to get the location.
Yes I like to use HHV during my sons holidays. In about 5 years, when he goes off to college I will be keeping 28k points (4x7k units).

We live on the other side of the island at Koolina. Even having a house minutes down the road from Marriott Ko'Olina, we like to stay at MKO and use our Marriott weeks. Used to use our HGVC points to trade imto Aulani but that has dried up. That was far cheaper than using DVC points to stay at Aulani.

We have purchased HGVC and MVC to use during our retirement. During the recession, I bought a little too much HGVC and MVC weeks plus some DVC points. Since we own them and pay maintenance fees we use them for staycations.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

Denise L

Tug Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Starwood/Vistana, Disney, Hyatt, HGVC
We own 7800 points at Elara and now 5250 at W57. So far, I have used all of my points for New York. Already in borrowing mode (which is preferred anyway instead of paying to 'save' them). We would love to try out the HGVCs on the Big Island, so need to research where to stay, etc. Would love to use the points on Maui when that resort becomes available. Maybe we will even try Las Vegas!

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
We own 7000 points a year and will be running short. Looking to get more. Will be borrowing next year (maybe even this year if we go to Vegas.

terces

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC LVB x3, Sandos Mexico for RCI points
We just bumped up to 3 x 7000 points = 21,000. When we were at 14,000 we were "cheaping out" by cutting back on days or going for a smaller unit. We are 60 and 65 years young and hope to be doing this for many years. Perhaps we will buy another unit. Perhaps we will peel back a unit. idk, I just don't want to be caught short.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
We just bumped up to 3 x 7000 points = 21,000. When we were at 14,000 we were "cheaping out" by cutting back on days or going for a smaller unit. We are 60 and 65 years young and hope to be doing this for many years. Perhaps we will buy another unit. Perhaps we will peel back a unit. idk, I just don't want to be caught short.

I understand where your coming from. You sound like you are retired like we are. Our original retirement plan was to winter in South Beach for a couple of months. Then we found Hawaii. We bought more points and got up to 34,600. We started vacationing for 3 months every winter split between Hawaii in January - Early March and South Beach in late March into April. We would do a summer vacation with the Grand Kids for a week. We started to love Honolulu so much that we did 4 months in Honolulu. We now can't seem to leave Honolulu so we bought a 2 BR Condo in Waikiki so we can stay more. We will now be selling some of our timeshares.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I understand where your coming from. You sound like you are retired like we are. Our original retirement plan was to winter in South Beach for a couple of months. Then we found Hawaii. We bought more points and got up to 34,600. We started vacationing for 3 months every winter split between Hawaii in January - Early March and South Beach in late March into April. We would do a summer vacation with the Grand Kids for a week. We started to love Honolulu so much that we did 4 months in Honolulu. We now can't seem to leave Honolulu so we bought a 2 BR Condo in Waikiki so we can stay more. We will now be selling some of our timeshares.
Did you buy the Wailana condo fee simple or leasehold? Just walked by it almost every day for a month from late may till late June. Still wish wailana coffee house was still open. Owners didn't want to invest $1mil+ to refurbish restaurant.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Did you buy the Wailana condo fee simple or leasehold? Just walked by it almost every day for a month from late may till late June. Still wish wailana coffee house was still open. Owners didn't want to invest $1mil+ to refurbish restaurant.

We bought it leasehold until November 2069. We won't be around then. Our goal was to be able to stay as long as we wanted and to start to build a home in Honolulu. While we still have our house on Long Island with our son living in it, we didn't want to pay for fee simple, however, if we do decide in the future to sell our house we will be looking for fee simple.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
Don't some Hilton owners use their points for DVC exchanges through RCI? I remember seeing the low points required.