• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is 2019 the 'Year of the Timeshare'? [Marriott/Vistana/Hyatt in the DC speculation]

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points
So, just returned from an enjoyable trip (prefer to not say where) and what I would consider to be the most beneficial 'owner update' I have been to. Very interesting discussion about the ILG acquisition and what changes are coming (or not coming) as a result. We talked about some important dates to remember, such as 2015 and October, 2019 (as examples). Told to expect a couple of significant emails this fall about DC changes coming that many owners have been wanting (as a result of the ILG acquisition). I realize that some folks may take the position that "if their lips were moving, don't believe it". That has often been my perspective as well during past presentations. However, I didn't just hear it, as it would take more than that to get me to buy more points (which I did). Stay tuned. This is about to get really interesting for MVCI owners.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN-OF, SVVx3, SBP, MKO-OV, MWR
My perspective is I hope they will keep DC and VSN separated. If they really want to open and let DC points owners to reserve Westin/Sheraton, I hope it is at 6 months. I’m very happy with all of my VSN ownerships, and there is no incentive to me to trade Westin to any Marriott. So I want the exclusive reservation window for VSN SOs owners until 6 months.

This information above will lead me to attend the next owner update and I will express my displeasure if Marriott tries to inflow DC points to compete with already very scarce Westin/Sheraton reservation slots.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
My perspective is I hope they will keep DC and VSN separated. If they really want to open and let DC points owners to reserve Westin/Sheraton, I hope it is at 6 months. I’m very happy with all of my VSN ownerships, and there is no incentive to me to trade Westin to any Marriott. So I want the exclusive reservation window for VSN SOs owners until 6 months.

This information above will lead me to attend the next owner update and I will express my displeasure if Marriott tries to inflow DC points to compete with already very scarce Westin/Sheraton reservation slots.

I would be surprised if they ever just opened up Westin/Sheraton to Marriott and vice versa. If they do something, I think it will likely be based on individual Vistana owners having to enroll their week in the DC, so will not be a blanket reciprocity. The only VSE intervals MVC owners would compete for are those that are enrolled.

Last edited:

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I would be surprised if they ever just opened up Westin?Sheraton to Marriott and vice versa. If they do something, I think it will likely be based on individual Vistana owners having to enroll their week in the DC, so will not be a blanket reciprocity. The only VSE intervals MVC owners would compete for are those that are enrolled.

That sounds much better. I am both VSN and Marriott owner, but I am totally fine with VSN reservation system. If individual VSN owner wants to enroll to MVC DC, that’s fine and it’s their right/choice. I just don’t want current VSN SOs to be affected, I’m good with current VSN and will not want to be substituted by anything from MVC DC, nothing. I’m really good and satisfied with just Westin/Sheraton in VSN now, Marriott can have their DC system separated and have different game whatever they want. Just leave us VSN owners alone, we don’t need MVC seriously and vice versa.

Last edited:

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wouldn't be surprised if unsold Starwood, Hyatt, or Westin inventory isn't opened up to the DC (after all, it was Marriott that bought them, not the other way around). Owners in the other systems could be required to make a minimum purchase from Marriott before being allowed to 'play' in the DC pool (regardless of what they own in their home system). That may seem unfairly tilted in favor of Marriott/DC, but to the victor (buyer) go the (not legally prohibited) spoils.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wouldn't be surprised if unsold Starwood, Hyatt, or Westin inventory isn't opened up to the DC (after all, it was Marriott that bought them, not the other way around). Owners in the other systems could be required to make a minimum purchase from Marriott before being allowed to 'play' in the DC pool (regardless of what they own in their home system). That may seem unfairly tilted in favor of Marriott/DC, but to the victor (buyer) go the (not legally prohibited) spoils.

I totally agree. Marriott can take all unsold weeks and put into DC. Just leave current VSN alone with all weeks were sold. I will definitely attend the next owner update and express my complaint. By the way, the victor should be VAC shareholders. If you mean DC owners is the victor at VSN owner’s expense, the management is not maximizing shareholder’s value, because probably half side of their customers are not happy. I would seriously doubt MVC would spend $3B to piss off these Vistana customers to just benefit MVC’s side of customers.

Last edited:

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I totally agree. Marriott can take all unsold weeks and put into DC. Just leave current VSN alone with all weeks were sold. I will definitely attend the next owner update and express my complaint. By the way, the victor should be VAC shareholders. If you mean DC owners is the victor at VSN owner’s expense, the management is not maximizing shareholder’s value, because probably half side of their customers are not happy.

I only meant allowing DC owners into these other programs inventory with no further cost while requiring owners of these other programs to purchase DC points (perhaps 4,000 minimum) to be able to utilize the value of their home program ownership in the Marriott pool.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
You almost had me. I almost got sucked into the speculation..... again. ;)

The last update I was told June or July when they’ll release combined inventory. I didn’t ask the year, maybe it’s next year?

I am interested, even anxious, to see the merger results. I’m hoping for reasonable access to Sedona and maybe Key West. Increased options in Maui would be great but I’m happy with the access we have currently. Past that I doubt the merger will have such a strong effect on us that it will change much in our vacation patterns.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten

I hope it’s not 6 months. Many times nothing opens even at 6 months then availability opens at 60 days due to cancellation restrictions. I say keep them separate and use II as the priority exchange. Allow us to declare if we want to deposit into a general fund of availability for all resorts in II or Deposit in a MVC/VSN exchange fund. Let the availibitly come from there

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
I only meant allowing DC owners into these other programs inventory with no further cost while requiring owners of these other programs to purchase DC points (perhaps 4,000 minimum) to be able to utilize the value of their home program ownership in the Marriott pool.
Uhh no lol. That’s the fastest way to piss off a lot of people. A true bad PR move. Trust me, if you want into other properties you’ll have to pay as well. Nothing is free. You’re talking about people that sell timeshares for tens of thousands of dollars. They aren’t exactly the most honorable people here.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Looks like your salesman just told you this and asked you to buy more DC points? You wanna bet it won't be free for DC owners to reserve to VSN?

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
In the end, it's all speculation until something formal is announced. The only thing that has been said officially that we can bank on is what the Marriott Vacations Worldwide CEO, Stephen Weisz, said in their last earnings conference call for investors:

"Looking ahead to 2020, we have begun focusing on product enhancements for the various brands. Specifically, we are working hard to develop an integrated product form that can be leveraged across the Marriott, Westin, and Sheraton brands enhancing the overall value proposition for our owners and customers. It will take time to finalize and roll out this new product form. However, we are very excited about the potential it will provide and we look forward to updating you in the future as this work evolves.”

I don't think they have announced the exact date of their second quarter earnings call, but it should be late July or early August. Maybe more info then; maybe not.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Looks like your salesman just told you this and asked you to buy more DC points? You wanna bet it won't be free for DC owners to reserve to VSN?

I thought the same thing when I read the OP, just a bunch of vague BS to make a sale. No details provided whatsoever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Sapper

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
... "if their lips were moving, don't believe it". That has often been my perspective as well during past presentations. However, I didn't just hear it, as it would take more than that to get me to buy more points (which I did). ....

Full stop. You bought points from the developer.

In anything that you signed, anywhere, was it written that by purchasing these points you would have full access to all of the other brands with out purchasing additional points or paying additional fees, or jumping through any other hoops?

No, it does not have some similar wording to that effect? Are you still with in your recision period? Yes? Suggest you find that recision document, follow the instructions, send it in return receipt. Then come back and we can have all the speculative debate in the world. I like the speculative debate here, it can run for months, you don’t have months on the recision period. Please think about the recision instrument available to you right now.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@kds4 can you please elaborate on what you learned? For example, what is the significance of 2015? You created a provacative title with vague comments. Need meat, otherwise this thread adds nothing new.

pchung6

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I didn’t realize the OP bought additional DC points. Please go rescind now, then come back and we can keep talking about it. Your current deal will always be there or better when Marriott announces the integration plan. Marriott paid a couple billions for VSN, it’s not going to be free...

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Uhh no lol. That’s the fastest way to piss off a lot of people. A true bad PR move. Trust me, if you want into other properties you’ll have to pay as well. Nothing is free. You’re talking about people that sell timeshares for tens of thousands of dollars. They aren’t exactly the most honorable people here.
I think some type of integration is likely at some point and it might be the DC option, for a fee in most cases. Maybe buy points to just pay an enrollment fee like 2010. If enrolled, the only inventory members would have access to would be any inventory brought into the trust and any inventory where the owners chose to take DC points. It would not be the entire system if it were the DC system. Or it could be some type of crossover where each side gets access at a time later than others. We'll see, but I agree I would not have bought based on the assurances that this would happen. And I am 100% certain there were no guarantees it would in writing and almost certainly the included legal paperwork said that verbal representations where not applicable and the that there were no guarantees of future resorts.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Full stop. You bought points from the developer.

In anything that you signed, anywhere, was it written that by purchasing these points you would have full access to all of the other brands with out purchasing additional points or paying additional fees, or jumping through any other hoops?

No, it does not have some similar wording to that effect? Are you still with in your recision period? Yes? Suggest you find that recision document, follow the instructions, send it in return receipt. Then come back and we can have all the speculative debate in the world. I like the speculative debate here, it can run for months, you don’t have months on the recision period. Please think about the recision instrument available to you right now.

I only heard that free cross-program access is coming. Yes, we bought more points, but that wasn't why (since hearing wouldn't have met my threshold to act).

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
@kds4 can you please elaborate on what you learned? For example, what is the significance of 2015? You created a provacative title with vague comments. Need meat, otherwise this thread adds nothing new.

What if new restrictions were coming to the resale market that will affect use/access to benefits for resale points purchased on or after some date (maybe in 2015) despite paying the enrollment fee? What if purchase discounts are going away? What if minimum purchase requirements are going up significantly? What if an additional ownership level is coming with benefits currently not heard of? What if MVCI is implementing a 'buy-back' program for points? What if the Toronto Raptors win the NBA title? I am confident that one or more of these things have/are coming to pass in 2019.

Last edited:

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I thought the same thing when I read the OP, just a bunch of vague BS to make a sale. No details provided whatsoever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I can understand your perspective. That has been me for quite a while. I always said I would never buy any more points (especially from the developer), yet I did. It takes more than hearing something to convince me to part with my money. Some things have to be seen to be believed. While my reasons for buying may or may not be the same as someone else's, I bought more points because I saw what I needed to see. Some knowledgeable person may want to start prowling around the applicable state regulatory agencies websites to keep an eye out for interesting recent/upcoming filings.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV

I can understand your perspective. That has been me for quite a while. I always said I would never buy any more points (especially from the developer), yet I did. It takes more than hearing something to convince me to part with my money. Some things have to be seen to be believed. While my reasons for buying may or may not be the same as someone else's, I bought more points because I saw what I needed to see. Some knowledgeable person may want to start prowling around the applicable state regulatory agencies websites to keep an eye out for interesting recent/upcoming filings.
Until something is concrete I wouldn’t buy from the developer. Personally, I’m happy with the Vistana choices. I’ll exchange in II for other resorts as I’m not tied into school breaks for travel.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

We’re like you. After a few owners updates, a salesman finally listened to what we were saying and produced something that both fit our needs and budget, so we did something I never thought we’d do, purchase points from the developer. If not for the additional resale week (bundle package) at a resort we like and a destination we love at a price we considered reasonable with full MVC access and without restrictions, we would never have moved.

Any residual benefit we might enjoy because of this purchase with the ILG merger or the fact we moved up a benefit level is simply extra gravy, although it would be nice if that’s the case.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We’re like you. After a few owners updates, a salesman finally listened to what we were saying and produced something that both fit our needs and budget, so we did something I never thought we’d do, purchase points from the developer. If not for the additional resale week (bundle package) at a resort we like and a destination we love at a price we considered reasonable with full MVC access and without restrictions, we would never have moved.

Any residual benefit we might enjoy because of this purchase with the ILG merger or the fact we moved up a benefit level is simply extra gravy, although it would be nice if that’s the case.

Marriott has grandfathered in the past as new levels were created. Hopefully that practice will continue.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Until something is concrete I wouldn’t buy from the developer. Personally, I’m happy with the Vistana choices. I’ll exchange in II for other resorts as I’m not tied into school breaks for travel.

Agreed. That's why just hearing about it was not enough for us to biuy.

dneveu

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor, Marriott Shadow Ridge, Marriott Grand Chateau
We
Marriott has grandfathered in the past as new levels were created. Hopefully that practice will continue.

We had a good presentation with a top salesman who seemed respectable a few months ago. Very interesting discussion. Seems new program rules are likely coming. Got the sense a few more levels were coming, possibly 2 more with new benefits not in place today. We got the sense maybe only chairman would be upgraded to the top level and no others, as all other levels would not change.

While not discussed, I could see MVC moving to new point purchase requirements and at the same time implementing a buyback program. It would make sense if they were adding more levels with higher point tiers.

Last edited: