• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Extra charge for grandchild in Marriott/Westin hotel of $60

Bill4728

Reaction score
We just made "points" reservation for the Westin in Oahu and I wasn't happy about the $37/day resort fee BUT I know it is what is done now
BUT in addition to the points, they are charging me a extra guest fee of $60/day because we'll have our 4 yr grand daughter in the room with us. WHAT?? you get charged extra for more than 2 people even in a room with 2 queen beds???

I'm unhappy

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We just made "points" reservation for the Westin in Oahu and I wasn't happy about the $37/day resort fee BUT I know it is what is done now
BUT in addition to the points, they are charging me a extra guest fee of $60/day because we'll have our 4 yr grand daughter in the room with us. WHAT?? you get charged extra for more than 2 people even in a room with 2 queen beds???

I'm unhappy
This issue (in a number of locations), especially for award stays, seems to have generated a lot of postings, e.g.
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/mar...ra-person-charges-especially-award-stays.html

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Bill, that does seem to be an unconscionable charge. Have you given any thought of having your wife and grandchild wait in the car while you check in? Just wondering.... :rolleyes:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

I'm unhappy
I would call and speak to a manager. I have seen that elsewhere for adults but never a child.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Wow. That’s something new. We used points for Renaissance Wailea a few years ago. Even there was a resort fee for cash reservation, there was no such charge for points.
At Westin Chongqing where we recently stayed, the website also specified a charge for 3rd person. I called the hotel directly and was told there would be no charge as long as we did not request an extra bed. There was a sofa in the living room so no need for the extra bed. Hotel also provided bedding, linens, and towels for the third person. Guess policy really varies by location.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Character is not charging you to have a grandkid in your room, and giving that kid a toy or gift upon check in.
You can only control your actions. To sneak them in would be dishonest. They set up the rules and we decide whether to participate.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

I'm unhappy

It's an IT glitch in the reservation system. It has been thoroughly discussed on FlyerTalk. Per the T&C of the Bonvoy program (emphasis added):

3.2.e. When redeeming Points for an Award Redemption Stay, the Award Redemption Stay includes the cost of a single or double standard room at a Participating Property, room tax/service charge, and extra-person charges, if any. All other charges, including incidentals, resort fees and The Ritz-Carlton Club level charges, are the responsibility of the Member and are not included in the Award Redemption Stay.

To ensure there is no problem at the front desk when checking in, most people are making the reservation for two beds for two adults and zero children even though a child may be present. That way the system is not computing an extra person charge.

Last edited:

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's an IT glitch in the reservation system. It has been throughly discussed on FlyerTalk. Per the T&C of the Bonvoy program (emphasis added):

3.2.e. When redeeming Points for an Award Redemption Stay, the Award Redemption Stay includes the cost of a single or double standard room at a Participating Property, room tax/service charge, and extra-person charges, if any. All other charges, including incidentals, resort fees and The Ritz-Carlton Club level charges, are the responsibility of the Member and are not included in the Award Redemption Stay.

To ensure there is no problem at the front desk when checking in, most people are making the reservation for two beds for two adults and zero children even though a child may be present. That way the system is not computing an extra person charge.

So the OP is now happy?

jwalk03

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just leave the 4 ur old off of the reservation! That is a ridiculous fee that I would never pay.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP...I am very happy it was an IT glitch . But, What a sad story incident when a grandparent cannot take their grandchild on a vacation. IMHO.

marmite

TUG Sightings Guru
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grand Chateau, Sheraton Desert Oasis,
HGVC Paradise,
WorldMark
I'm really glad a points reservation is not subject to this ridiculous cash-grab. As a parent who still stays in a fair share of hotels when travelling, I can say that the 5* hotels are very likely to have an extra person charge, even if that person is a child. Usually with children under two years there is no charge, but I often pay more for my room when I bring my daughter (as the room needs to have an allowed occupancy of 3 persons instead of 2) even though there is no bed for that 3rd person. Then when I arrive I have the 'privilege' of paying an additional $60-$75 a night for a rollaway-bed in the room. The advertising of 'kids stay free' is often a half-truth, the fine print says 'when using existing bedding'. So if you can stuff your child in between you and your spouse in a King bed, they will sometimes allow it. Other hotels have fine print that says children over 'x years' must have their own bed.

In Asia it is even more difficult to catch a price-break, as the definition of a 'child' is younger than in the US. It varies from country to country. It is always such a relief spreading out in a 2 bedroom timeshare and having no surprises on the price! I'm glad it worked out for the OP.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
In our experience, these extra per person charges are common in Hawaii when staying at hotels.

BigMac

Reaction score
It is a glitch in the Marriott System that even if you put in 2 adults 1 child they charge you for an extra person. I have spoken with Marriott phone personnel about this and they told me a) you can correct it at the hotel and they will take the charge off or b) reserve for 2 adults only and request a rollaway when you make the reservation. The actual Marriott cutoff between child and adult is 18 years. Starwood used to have a 12 year old cutoff and some hotels still try to enforce that but with my 17 year old child I tell them they are now Marriott and Marriott's cutoff is 18!