• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

May Gray and June Gloom

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
Wish we knew about these San Diego phenomena before our two week trip to Oceanside and San Diego.

We had a good time but more sunshine would certainly have been welcome.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Send that stuff our way.
90+ temp and 90+ humidity sucks.

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, unless you live in or have lived in SoCal, you probably have no idea about May Gray and June Gloom. If friends or family ever come out for a visit during this time, we tell them bring a jacket and don't expect much sunshine.

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Wish we knew about these San Diego phenomena before our two week trip to Oceanside and San Diego.

We had a good time but more sunshine would certainly have been welcome.
I know that I tell anyone who asks not to come this time of year (in fact we head to the desert to see some sun). That said, it has been a particularly bad year for the gloomies. And sometime it lasts all summer. In 2010 I never saw the sun during the day because I was working in downtown San Diego and we had an entire summer of "marine layer" which is the more technical term. I always feel bad for tourists when it happens - no one goes on vacation to see clouds. It used to be that July/August were sure bets for sunny weather, and around here, September is called "secret summer" but with the changes in the weather patterns, it seems that nothing is for sure anymore. Except for May Gray and June Gloom. You can count on those!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
And then consider that is what weather in the Pacific Northwest is like for most of the year. But add a lot of rain.

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I know that I tell anyone who asks not to come this time of year (in fact we head to the desert to see some sun). That said, it has been a particularly bad year for the gloomies. And sometime it lasts all summer. In 2010 I never saw the sun during the day because I was working in downtown San Diego and we had an entire summer of "marine layer" which is the more technical term. I always feel bad for tourists when it happens - no one goes on vacation to see clouds. It used to be that July/August were sure bets for sunny weather, and around here, September is called "secret summer" but with the changes in the weather patterns, it seems that nothing is for sure anymore. Except for May Gray and June Gloom. You can count on those!
We would be amused by tourist who would come to San Francisco during the summer and be wearing their shorts and short sleeved shirts. There is a reason just about every store carries sweatshirts. ;)

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
One year we met up with friends from Maine in Napa Valley over Memorial Day weekend. They asked where the warm weather was and said it was warmer in Maine.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
We lived in the East Bay of San Francisco. One weekend we decided to head into San Francisco for the day. It was probably in the 80's where we lived and we all dressed in shorts. As we crossed the hills into the Oakland/Berkeley area the temperature started to drop. When we got close to the Bay Bridge it was down in the 50's/60's. We turned around and spent the day in Berkeley instead. :) Even living in the area we weren't prepared that day.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
Yes, it's part of our weather pattern. But as Katherine notes, this has been a special year for weather in San Diego (and California). It is not normal for us to get actual rain (ok you'd call it drizzle) in mid-June. It is usually foggy, but typically no measurable precipitation this late, with the exception of an occasional monsoon.

On the bright side, you can still ski in California at Mammoth!

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
The Gloom is thick this year. The last two days the sun has popped out about noon at my house but I"m 4 miles from the beach.

We had a birthday party at my house Memorial weekend and had to keep all the windows shut because it was so cold!

I rode my motorcycle all the way to Ramona one day to try to get out of it and it was still gloomy. It's about over now and summer should be nice.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
And then consider that is what weather in the Pacific Northwest is like for most of the year. But add a lot of rain.

Dave

Dave,

Having grown up in Westport and Aberdeen, spent my college summers in SE Alaska and 20 years in Seattle I'm done with the grey and gloom.

Will stay in Sacramento. (But of course May and September can be absolutely gorgeous in Seattle.)

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Adding to the chorus of San Diegans about how bad the gloom is this year. A couple of weeks ago, we had a brief spell (2 days) of 90-degree weather. Other than that, pretty much endless gray for the last two months. A couple of years ago, my cousin from Minnesota said she and her husband would be coming out here on vacation in June. I said nooooooooo, don't come then, you'll be sorry! They came anyway ("sunny California, what could go wrong?"). They did not see the sun even once (not even mid-afternoon) the whole week they were here. I tried to warn them!

I'm really looking forward to my Palm Desert stays coming up (yes, the desert in summer).

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Dave,

Having grown up in Westport and Aberdeen, spent my college summers in SE Alaska and 20 years in Seattle I'm done with the grey and gloom.

Will stay in Sacramento. (But of course May and September can be absolutely gorgeous in Seattle.)

Then you intimately know the gray of which I speak. :) It's hailing and thunderstorms today. Weird weather!

Dave

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Albeit a lot further north, folks were bundled up for the US Open at Pebble Beach, and the announcers kept talking about the marine layer.

This morning in the Ozarks we had a marine layer, but we just call it fog. It gets thickest just after sunrise, then takes a couple hours to burn off, and that's exactly what it did this morning.

We have a HUGE amount of rain, and the lakes are full.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
Albeit a lot further north, folks were bundled up for the US Open at Pebble Beach, and the announcers kept talking about the marine layer.

This morning in the Ozarks we had a marine layer, but we just call it fog. It gets thickest just after sunrise, then takes a couple hours to burn off, and that's exactly what it did this morning.

We have a HUGE amount of rain, and the lakes are full.
It's not just some fancy term they throw around. It's called a marine layer because a marine layer is an air mass which develops over the surface of a large body of water such as the ocean or large lake in the presence of a temperature inversion.

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
It's not just some fancy term they throw around. It's called a marine layer because a marine layer is an air mass which develops over the surface of a large body of water such as the ocean or large lake in the presence of a temperature inversion.

:thumbup:

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
We would be amused by tourist who would come to San Francisco during the summer and be wearing their shorts and short sleeved shirts. There is a reason just about every store carries sweatshirts. ;)
That was us. We arrived in the middle of July in summer clothes. It was in the 50's in the evening. I could not believe how chilly it was. We supported the local economy by buying sweaters, hoodies, etc.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
Even down here in the middle of summer, that's normal attire in the evenings. Most years, we watch the fireworks on July 4th wearing jackets or sweatshirts!

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
We don't mind the gray days at all. The days we hate are the days we wake up and can hear the freeway miles away -- when we hear the cars we know it will be a scorcher! Something in the warming air allows the sound to travel. We are very spoiled, more than 82 degrees is a heat wave, and time to get out the parkas if it gets down near 60.

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
In the San Diego Mountains, we've especially enjoyed the long (wet) winter and cool spring. Mostly 70's in June and only two triple digit days? That is fantastic. I'll miss the Gloom.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
I also thought the wet winter was great. I like it when it rains here, since it usually doesn't happen that often. And I have to say that some of the afternoons have been glorious (mid-70s), once the sun finally came out. But on many days that stayed completely overcast, temps wouldn't make it out of the 60s. When the calendar says summer, I'm ready for warmer weather than that.

Glenn2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ft. Lauderdale Beach Resort (2)
Suites at Fisherman's Wharf
The cool and gloomy weather in coastal CA is a refreshing break from the heat of a Florida summer. We deliberately try to go to CA in the early summer to escape the daily 90 + degree days we have at that time.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
I totally hear you on that. A few years ago when we visited a resort in Scottsdale, the person at the front desk remarked that Californians and Arizonans tended to swap states at this time of the year - the Arizonans to get out of the heat, and the coastal Californians to see some sun!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I totally hear you on that. A few years ago when we visited a resort in Scottsdale, the person at the front desk remarked that Californians and Arizonans tended to swap states at this time of the year - the Arizonans to get out of the heat, and the coastal Californians to see some sun!

May and June have been nice in Northern California. We have had great weather. Not sure I remember bad months on May and June.

PcflEZFlng

TUG Member
Reaction score
May and June have been nice in Northern California. We have had great weather. Not sure I remember bad months on May and June.

Here's a good video from the San Diego office of the National Weather Service that describes why that has been the case. Pretty interesting!