• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Tesla Chargers near Sea Pines August 11-17, help!

jmmoultn

TUG Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are MVCI owners at Heritage, but are staying at Harbour Club in August. We are hoping to drive a Tesla down from Boston but found out neither Harbour Club nor Heritage has an EV charger -- but Grande Ocean does, though I guess they won't allow access to guests of other Marriott properties (now wishing we had purchased that resale there, instead of Ocean Pointe). Looks like not too many other Level 2 chargers around Sea Pines so we might have limited options. Any other TUGgers that might be there and willing to share/lend/sell one of their 2 car passes, or have found other options? I see that Rockfish at Coligny has a charger so we may eat there, but may need a couple of 3-4 hour stretches for the week. Thanks!

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marriott’s SurfWatch also, has chargers. I do not know if they have Tesla Chargers.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
My wife and I are MVCI owners at Heritage, but are staying at Harbour Club in August. We are hoping to drive a Tesla down from Boston but found out neither Harbour Club nor Heritage has an EV charger -- but Grande Ocean does, though I guess they won't allow access to guests of other Marriott properties (now wishing we had purchased that resale there, instead of Ocean Pointe). Looks like not too many other Level 2 chargers around Sea Pines so we might have limited options. Any other TUGgers that might be there and willing to share/lend/sell one of their 2 car passes, or have found other options? I see that Rockfish at Coligny has a charger so we may eat there, but may need a couple of 3-4 hour stretches for the week. Thanks!

Calling a concierge AT ANY MARRIOTT RESORT on Hilton Head Island should get an answer.
If they don't know, they would find out. That is their job.

Last edited:

jmmoultn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, pedro47, on Surfwatch. Grande Ocean and Harbour Club weren't too much help when I called. The Marriott hotel says they shuttle you to charging stations at Shelter Cove...

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Glad you came along. I've been wondering about all-electric electric cars.

How long does it take to recharge?

I mean, for a gas car you pull into a gas station, with four on every corner except when you really, really need one, and fifteen minutes later, you're on your way.

But, if you're on the road with an all-electric electric car, even if you stumble and bumble your way to a charging station, how long does it take?

jmmoultn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Tesla Superchargers are all along all most major highways and charge at about 300 mph, so with a Tesla with almost 300 miles of range, we can drive for 4-5 hours, and then recharge for 45 minutes or so while having something to eat, checking email, etc. Destination charges are slower but at many hotels, and charge more like 20-40 mph or a bit more, so great to use overnight. I have had no problems charging around the East Coast but HHI doesn't seem to have too many charging options (no Tesla superchargers and limited number of destination chargers). I'm sure we will figure it out, but takes a little planning (the Tesla GPS shows and plans for the Superchargers, which is nice). Highly recommend EVs, we have loved it, but maybe not for everyone...

jmmoultn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks sparty, that would be perfect if we were staying there. It appears they won't let MVCI owners at other properties or non-MGO guests on property to use them. We own at Heritage, in FL and in the Points program but will have no access to Grande Ocean.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP...Suggestion only, please called the MGR, at GO and explain your problem.
Tell him you are a Marriott owner and staying at a Marriott resort on HHI that do not have a Telsa Charger.

BreakingAway

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Monarch at Sea Pines (1)
Marriott Grande Ocean (4)
Thanks sparty, that would be perfect if we were staying there. It appears they won't let MVCI owners at other properties or non-MGO guests on property to use them. We own at Heritage, in FL and in the Points program but will have no access to Grande Ocean.
When we were at Grande Ocean last week, there were two Teslas and a Chevy Volt parked at the charging station in the Laughing Gull garage. I did not check the other charging station. It could be the reason not to allow guests at other Marriotts to use the Chargers is that the parking spaces for the two stations at Grande Ocean are being used by Grande Ocean guests.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
To the OP: Please Google Tesla Chargers on HHI, SC.
There are eight (8) Tesla Chargers on Hilton Head Island, SC.
Good luck and please enjoy your stay.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Tesla Superchargers are all along all most major highways and charge at about 300 mph, so with a Tesla with almost 300 miles of range, we can drive for 4-5 hours, and then recharge for 45 minutes or so while having something to eat, checking email, etc. Destination charges are slower but at many hotels, and charge more like 20-40 mph or a bit more, so great to use overnight. I have had no problems charging around the East Coast but HHI doesn't seem to have too many charging options (no Tesla superchargers and limited number of destination chargers). I'm sure we will figure it out, but takes a little planning (the Tesla GPS shows and plans for the Superchargers, which is nice). Highly recommend EVs, we have loved it, but maybe not for everyone...

Thanks, a little better than I figured since my work involves charging batteries in golf carts, lead acid for many years and lithium ion for the first time this year. The LIONs are quicker, with no maintenance.

But, still, not just a fill-up and go, an issue that stands in the way of widespread acceptance of all-electric vehicles, I suspect.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
But, still, not just a fill-up and go, an issue that stands in the way of widespread acceptance of all-electric vehicles, I suspect.
You're a few years too late to this party. Electric cars are perfectly viable these days. Yes, it does take a little planning, but for the performance and freedom from emissions and oil changes and the like make punching in a few keystrokes to be directed to a vacant and usable charger is not a big deal.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks, a little better than I figured since my work involves charging batteries in golf carts, lead acid for many years and lithium ion for the first time this year. The LIONs are quicker, with no maintenance.
We just bought a new golf cart that runs on lithium and we love that it is zero maintenance. Our friends have to top up their lead acid batteries with water every weekend. In addition, our cart is lighter and hence, faster than other lead acid carts when going up a slope. :) We have 14-inch wheels on ours and it looks fabulous.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Probably an EZGO RXV Elite with a Samsung LION powerpack. It's a more proven technology than Club Car's late and pathetic attempt to match it with an LG LION powerpack.

https://www.rmigolfcarts.com/products/2019-e-z-go-rxv-elite-2-2

I have maintained fleets of 60, 65 and 67 carts for 13 years now, both up north and in FL.

I have maintained RXV fleets since that model was introduced in 2008, and we got the first ones off the assembly line. I have had a thread on a forum since 2009 documenting all the problems with it, and that thread became the go-to place for other operators (when, in fact, I started it trying to find someone else who could advise me). We were the Guinea pigs, so I became the ex-spirt.

We have had 2008, 2012 and 2015 fleets, and had to replaced more than 50% of the batteries in the 2008 and 2012s. Slightly better with the 2015s. But, I still had to water 260 batteries once a month, clean terminals, and replace borken cables, etc. Distilled water and a tank and pumping system I designed for the 2015s, which lessened our problems. When our EZ Go tech saw my system, he said, "We need to be selling that."

We've had the 2018 Elite LIONs since last winter, and I have not had to touch them. They make the cart 300+ pounds lighter, both good and bad, run for 54 holes between charges, and recharge in 2 hours.

Next Saturday we have an annual tournament with 240 golfers, 120 at 9:00 and 120 at 2:00. For that tournament, the first carts come in, we restock the carts, tees and pencils, put the second group's bag on them, and off they go, almost as fast as I just posted that. You can imagine what happened every year toward the end of the day, when we had to run rental gas carts out to replace the ones that died.

Not this year!!!!

I was in Florida when we got our new carts, and I asked the GM/PGA Pro when they would be arriving, and he said we already had them. Then he said, "What will you do now?" We had debated back and forth for over a year, and he went ahead with the bigger expense because the dealer sweetened the deal and made the monthly payment about the same. When they can warrant the cart for a year more, they can spread the lease out, and lower the monthly. & throw in two new beverage carts!

Last edited:

vice

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was at Heritage Club then Sunset Pointe on HHI a few weeks ago and actually had good luck with just plugging in my standard portable 110 Tesla charger that came with the car into my Model 3 Tesla. Sure it only charges at 4 or 5 miles an hour on such a low voltage and amperage but if you are there a week it should be more than enough if you charge at night and maybe some during the day, it was for me. I had enough juice to drive to restaurants and activities every day and left HHI with a full charge after arriving near empty at the start of the week. At Heritage club there is an outlet by the recycling cans on the far right end of the parking lot and at Sunset Pointe there is an outlet to the left by the tennis courts when you first pull in the gate. The Heritage Club location I needed my 25ft extension cord to reach while parked, not necessary for Sunset Pointe.

I am sure that there will be some uninformed readers that will assume they are getting taken advantage of by an owner that decides to plug their car in to charge and not pay extra maintenance fees to cover this electricity cost. The amount of electricity for a full charge equates to around $5-$8 dollars depending on exact model and electricity rates at a given location. This would be similar to wanting the owner that likes to keep their unit at 68 degrees vs 74 degrees for the week pay an extra maintenance fee, as this would be a similar amount of power used.

Knowing what I know about Tuggers, I think some that never imagined themselves driving an electric car will look into it after they read this. Kind of like when you discovered that you can stay in great resorts with 2 or 3 bedrooms for what it used to cost to stay in a typical hotel room, if you do it right. The cost to operate, maintain, and fuel is exponentially cheaper than gasoline vehicles. In fairness, Teslas can be more expensive to insure currently but this is expected to decrease over the next few years as the supply chain catches up. Teslas are also designed for 1 million miles (with a battery pack replacement or 2), not just 250K miles like your typical Toyota or 150K life expectancy of some other brands I won't name.

The lower operating costs have also encouraged me to take more trips and I have put nearly twice my typical annual mileage on the car, having had it over a year now. It is great for for long road trips to FL. Also, depending on model, Supercharging can currently go up to 500 mph, which drastically reduces charging stop time on my model 3. By the time you can get to the bathroom and back there is 150 miles charge added so you are ready to hit the road and get to the next Supercharger.

I expect to see lots more EVs in timeshare parking lots over the coming years.

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
You're a few years too late to this party. Electric cars are perfectly viable these days. Yes, it does take a little planning, but for the performance and freedom from emissions and oil changes and the like make punching in a few keystrokes to be directed to a vacant and usable charger is not a big deal.

OK, I'll bite. But, I'm not much of a late-party person.

In our pathetic gas-guzzling, heavy-carbon-footprint, male-hormone-enhanced behemoth, we can get back and forth from our Florida and Northern place in 20 hours, with regular 15-minute-ish stops, wherever the gauge says it's time.

What would that trip be like in your Greenvicle?

:ponder:

& how big a camper could you tow?

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
It is great for for long road trips to FL. Also, depending on model, Supercharging can currently go up to 500 mph, which drastically reduces charging stop time on my model 3. By the time you can get to the bathroom and back there is 150 miles charge added so you are ready to hit the road and get to the next Supercharger.

OK, thanks, that's the info I was looking for, and it looks like it would fit our dog's schedule.

Now, how big a camper can you tow, cuz our dog will not stay in a motel?

The last time I stopped at a motel with her, I had to practically carry her to the room, then she just paced and panted, hyperventilating, so I had loaded her back up and hit the road at 2:00 AM. Our cats stay in the vehicle, in their travel cages.

We even have our favorite WalMarts now, each a little over half-way.

:D

Also, we did not used to like "truck stops", but today's "travel centers" are a different deal. We like the space, the normally-sufficient restrooms, the green areas for our dog, and normally-sufficient food.

It seems to me that the way travel centers are spaced, and plentiful, that they would be logical recharge locations, too.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, thanks, that's the info I was looking for, and it looks like it would fit our dog's schedule.

Now, how big a camper can you tow, cuz our dog will not stay in a motel? We even have our favorite WalMarts, each a little over half-way.

Stay tuned. Tesla says they'll have a pickup truck out in the foreseeable future with some 500 miles of range and significant towing and carrying capacity. Judging by the popularity of pickups (F-150 has been the best selling vehicle in the USA for many years) I'm a little surprised that it's taken this long.
So in your 'testosterone fueled' world, the future question instead of 'How many cubic inches does it have?', might be "How many kWh is the battery in that thing?'

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Just so y'all don't get me wrong, and lump me in with the wrong crowd, or, as the wrong crowd see's it, the right crowd, I designed and have maintained a solar system on our boat dock for years.

I'm just saying, for a significantly larger segment of the market, for EVs to become commonplace, the rule rather than the exception, they've got a ways to go.

But, as mentioned elsewhere in this thread, I said the same thing about battery technology as recently as two years ago.

For really enlightening reading on this thriving new industry, onsite solar power, go to Samsung and take a look at that division. You will also see that they have partnered with Jina, which will be light-years (intentional wording) ahead of US because of it.

http://www.samsungsdi.com/ess/index.html

&, guess what out-of-work coal miners in WV are being trained to do? No, not drive Teslas. :D

https://www.newsy.com/stories/west-virginia-company-trains-coal-miners-to-install-solar/

Just sayin"

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
When a nearby city announced their first solar substation not long ago, I was shocked that their Energy Storage System is 1100 lead acid batteries. That will a nightmare, and the type of blunder that can turn people off to renewable energy.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
When a nearby city announced their first solar substation not long ago, I was shocked that their Energy Storage System is 1100 lead acid batteries. That will a nightmare, and the type of blunder that can turn people off to renewable energy.
For fixed locations where electrical storage 'density' is not an issue, Lead/acid is an efficient storage mode. Lead/acid batteries are known technology, are 100% recyclable, are relatively inexpensive, none of which can be said for Li-Ion or other metal batteries. I know they aren't 'sexy' new technology, but it works.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
For fixed locations where electrical storage 'density' is not an issue, Lead/acid is an efficient storage mode. Lead/acid batteries are known technology, are 100% recyclable, are relatively inexpensive, none of which can be said for Li-Ion or other metal batteries. I know they aren't 'sexy' new technology, but it works.

Did you miss the golf cart post?

A substation out in the heat, 1100 batteries needing water every month, 2200 terminals needing cleaning, 2200 cables rotting out . . . not a good choice when there are ESS to better handle it.

Planning for the future using yesterday's tools.

But, like most things, tell will tell.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Probably an EZGO RXV Elite with a Samsung LION powerpack. It's a more proven technology than Club Car's late and pathetic attempt to match it with an LG LION powerpack.

https://www.rmigolfcarts.com/products/2019-e-z-go-rxv-elite-2-2
Yep, we got the 2019 EZGO RXV Freedom Elite. Although it is not a fancy brand name like our friend's Garia and his has a 25mph max, we outdrive his cart uphill. With our 14-inch wheels, we can get up to 23mph. He tops up his lead acid batteries each week and we don't have any sort of maintenance on ours.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Did you miss the golf cart post?

A substation station out in the heat, 1100 batteries needing water every month, 2200 terminals needing cleaning, 2200 cables rotting out . . . not a good choice when there are ESS to better handle it.

Planning for the future using yesterday's tools.

But, like most things, tell will tell.
I won't deny that for vehicular use, or for any application where storage density is paramount, Li-Ion is the better solution, but in a stationary solar power substation, where the batteries are tapped daily when the sun isn't shining, that lead/acid is the lower cost, and 100% recyclable and arguably safer alternative- at the cost of some maintenance.

I don't have a dog in the fight and really don't give a rip either way. This is simply my opinion. And whomever decided to use lead/acid batteries in the aforementioned substation shares it because that's what they used.