• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Dumping of timeshares is coming.....Prepare yourself for big maintenance fee increases and special a

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
I think the hotel-branded operations will always want to funnel their frequent-staying members towards buying vacation ownership. To do that, they have to be sure that the timeshare maintenance fees always offer a value proposition over staying on-site via direct booking. That creates a cap on how high they can go with maintenance fees.

What the fees are at independent resorts won't matter much, because on the sales floor buyers aren't making that comparison.
I would agree with that logic, and it seems to match my experience in owning hotel-branded timeshares for the last 15 years. Very modest annual increases (2-4%), and no special assessments -- even though two of our timeshares took a direct hurricane hit that caused enough damage for them to be shut down for several weeks.

@bogey21: George -- given that hotel-branded timeshares have been around for several decades, why to you think all of a sudden their MFs will start increasing to the point they will be "in serious trouble 10-15 years down the road"? Years of past data certainly doesn't support that prediction. What do you see changing?

On the contrary, the resorts that have gotten themselves into a death spiral of defaults that lead to higher MFs that lead to more defaults to higher MFs, etc., have almost always been smaller, independent timeshares.

Kurt

Last edited:

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
On the contrary, the resorts that have gotten themselves into a death spiral of defaults that lead to higher MFs that lead to more defaults to higher MFs, etc., have almost always been smaller, independent timeshares.
IMHO - many of the resorts that have gone into death spiral are properties that were marginal for timeshare to begin with, due to there being a large off-peak period where units have little value. In many cases those are HOA managed, independent properties, because the developer sold the units and then moved on, having made their money. That was common in the early days of timesharing.

The hotel-branded timeshares are much savvier about only creating inventory in areas where there is reasonable year-round demand. They are in the business of operating, not just building, so they know to pay attention to that.

Last edited:

Tamaradarann

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
IMHO - many of the resorts that have gone into death spiral are properties that were marginal for timeshare to begin with, due to there being a large off-peak period where unit have little value. In many cases those are HOA managed, independent properties, because the developer sold the units and then moved on, having made their money. That was common in the early days of timesharing.

The hotel-branded timeshares are much savvier about only creating inventory in areas where there is reasonable year-round demand. They are in the business of operating, not just building, so they know to pay attention to that.

I totally agree with your thinking here. That is one of the reasons that the Hilton Grand Vacation Club has such a great amount of inventory in Honolulu(5), Island of Hawaii(4), NYC(4), Las Vegas(4), and Orlando(4). Many criticize them for continuous building and renovating in those areas and not branching out to a lot of other locations but they are cautious and have only dabbled in a few other select locations.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
For certain, if the market rental value of a week is not as much as the maintenance fee, which is true in many places many weeks, that could be a sign . . . .

After all, with Internet it is pretty easy for folks to rent for less that owners are paying.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
I totally agree with your thinking here. That is one of the reasons that the Hilton Grand Vacation Club has such a great amount of inventory in Honolulu(5), Island of Hawaii(4), NYC(4), Las Vegas(4), and Orlando(4). Many criticize them for continuous building and renovating in those areas and not branching out to a lot of other locations but they are cautious and have only dabbled in a few other select locations.
HGVC also has marketed successfully to foreign markets.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC South Beach, HGVC Las Vegas, HGVC Las Vegas on the Strip, HGVC Sea World, Misner Place
HGVC also has marketed successfully to foreign markets.

Well you certainly see that in Honolulu. They are so Japanese oriented that all of the Resort Managers are either of Japanese decent and/or speak Japanese fluently. We love it including playing bilingual bingo on Wednesdays at 4:00 PM in the owners lounge in the Grand Waikikian.

Saskalta

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hawaiian Sun Holidays at Waikiki Banyan (8 wks)
We have numerous timeshare weeks with Hawaiian Sun Holidays. We bought them on the resale market and paid a reasonable price. Our maintenance fees are quite reasonable for Waikiki and are well below $600/week for a 1 bedroom. Not the fanciest property, but very very decent and a great value. If we didn't own our timeshare weeks, instead of going every year, we might only go every five years... As the cost to rent a similar room during the peak season is double or triple what our timeshare maintenance fee is.. We are very happy with the current arrangement.. AND if we do decide to use RCI, it is a very good trader.. gets us almost 2 weeks in most RCI North American trade locations!! Couldn't be more pleased!

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
There was a strong Japanese presence on Kauai 20 years ago, golf being a big reason.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Using ARDA's always-accurate-and-never-biased figures :ponder:, I wonder what would happen if all of the 15% of dissatisfied timeshare owners were suddenly let go?

Would timeshare resorts collapse, or would they thrive, having eliminated all that bad debt expense, be able to lower fees for the happy owners, and remove the angst from the industry?

Only the shadow knows.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella

Well they've got 4 in South Carolina now and that market is heavily seasonal.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I know. That is one which you will need to ask HGVC about. I have never been nor do I intend on go to South Carolina.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Very heavily school season but busy other times too. Good Weather has a long season, Hilton Head a little warmer then Myrtle Beach. April and October are my favorite times in Myrtle Beach. It can also be warm in March and November depending on the weather flow. Many northeners actually spend the winter in this region as winters are very mild. Occasionally a very cold spell or snow/ice but gone in a few days.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
George -- given that hotel-branded timeshares have been around for several decades, why to you think all of a sudden their MFs will start increasing to the point they will be "in serious trouble 10-15 years down the road"? Years of past data certainly doesn't support that prediction. What do you see changing?

MFs continue to increase every year; we hit a recession; travel slows; rental rates get cut to where they are substantially less than MFs. Maybe this never happens but if it does the value of all TSs plummet including major brands, both points and Weeks...

George

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
MFs continue to increase every year; we hit a recession; travel slows; rental rates get cut to where they are substantially less than MFs. Maybe this never happens but if it does the value of all TSs plummet including major brands, both points and Weeks...

George

I had to look to see if I said that.

:D

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Hmmm. As I recall, that happened in '01-'02 and '07-'08, and we are still here and timeshare sales are increasing every year. What happened?

Kurt

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Hmmm. As I recall, that happened in '01-'02 and '07-'08, and we are still here and timeshare sales are increasing every year. What happened?

Kurt

People still love to "get away".
Also, they may not be making as much as they would like, but they still love to dine out.
Seems to be a recession-proof business.

Travel? ditto.
Whatever the circumstances, people take to the road.

And......do you know of a city ANYWHERE where the restaurant business ISN'T thriving? I don't.
Even in my home town in Georgia you have to make reservations early and expect waits at those (good) places
where they don't take reservations.

And take Hilton Head, for example, or Williamsburg, or Boston, or Orlando-----restaurants are killing it!!!!

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
You all could be right. All I know is that I bought Weeks at 4 different Marriott Resorts starting in the Mid 80s. Almost immediatey they started changing the rules to my detriment. Within 5 years or so it became apparent to me that what I owned was going to decline in value so I sold, at a small profit no less. Today I would be lucky to get back 1/3 of my original purchase prices. I have no idea what the transition from Weeks to Points did to the value of those holding onto their Weeks. Maybe they benefited, maybe they got hurt. You all know better than me. But I continue to believe that the profit motive of the Marriotts, Hiltons, Wyndhams, etc. will result in continuing changes in their product to their benefit and to the detriment of their owners. Hope I am wrong, but this is what I believe...

George

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
You all could be right. All I know is that I bought Weeks at 4 different Marriott Resorts starting in the Mid 80s. Almost immediatey they started changing the rules to my detriment. Within 5 years or so it became apparent to me that what I owned was going to decline in value so I sold, at a small profit no less. Today I would be lucky to get back 1/3 of my original purchase prices. I have no idea what the transition from Weeks to Points did to the value of those holding onto their Weeks. Maybe they benefited, maybe they got hurt. You all know better than me. But I continue to believe that the profit motive of the Marriotts, Hiltons, Wyndhams, etc. will result in continuing changes in their product to their benefit and to the detriment of their owners. Hope I am wrong, but this is what I believe...

George
You point is valid. Many of the systems made changes that were not beneficial to owners. These changes were ways to sell something else and were profit driven.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Y But I continue to believe that the profit motive of the Marriotts, Hiltons, Wyndhams, etc. will result in continuing changes in their product to their benefit and to the detriment of their owners.

George

"Cash Cows" comes to mind.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Using ARDA's always-accurate-and-never-biased figures :ponder:, I wonder what would happen if all of the 15% of dissatisfied timeshare owners were suddenly let go?

Would timeshare resorts collapse, or would they thrive, having eliminated all that bad debt expense, be able to lower fees for the happy owners, and remove the angst from the industry?

Only the shadow knows.
Given how at the height of the financial crisis the default rate on mortgages was only a little over 10%, if 15% of timeshare owners defaulted it wouldn't be pretty. If they just were let go, who would pay their MFs? That would become bad debt or everyone else's fees would go up, not be lowered.

Tamaradarann

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Very heavily school season but busy other times too. Good Weather has a long season, Hilton Head a little warmer then Myrtle Beach. April and October are my favorite times in Myrtle Beach. It can also be warm in March and November depending on the weather flow. Many northeners actually spend the winter in this region as winters are very mild. Occasionally a very cold spell or snow/ice but gone in a few days.

What is warm is a matter of opinion. We love the weather on Long Island from June - September, even though this June has been a little too cold. The rest of the year it is too cold for us to enjoy. We like daytimes in the 70's or above and nights no lower than 60. Honolulu is our place, not South Carolina.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
. . . if 15% of timeshare owners defaulted it wouldn't be pretty. If they just were let go, who would pay their MFs? That would become bad debt or everyone else's fees would go up, not be lowered.

But, we don't know that.

We don't know that if all the angst and litigation and bad debt expense ended, and all that was left was happy, happy, happy owners, fees would go up.

What we do know is that if the defaulters were no longer defaulting, there would be no bad dept expense, or very little.

But, since you mentioned the mortgage foreclosure debacle, did everything go to heck in a handbasket? Did those paying their mortgages have to start paying extra fees? Sure, there was a painful period, but did the defaulters get taken care of, and did things return pretty much to normal, over time?

And what caused the mortgage foreclosure debacle? Predatory lending practices putting people in houses above their means, and a decline in the value of the entire housing market when it hit critical mass.

Artificial house prices and owners who should not be.

Not entirely unlike the collapse of the timeshare retail market when the number wanting to escape the timeshare trap hit critical mass.

So, maybe there needs to be purging, a sanitizing of the industry, and get it over with.

Like housing, is there not a lower, real value in timeshare, where more people would find it attractive, just as the thousands of foreclosed houses have found new owners at lower values? At foreclosure ground zero, where there were once hundreds of foreclosures, with new ones every day, it's hard to find one now, and the values are much higher now.

Once the housing purge happened, and things settled back into real values, those values started increasing again, hopefully in a more sane manner. The house we bought for $45,000 in 2011, and sold for $129,000 in 2015, is for sale now for $220,000. Timeshare owners would be jumping for joy if something like that happened to timeshares, and there was virtually no defaults.

I am familiar with many older resorts where something close to that has happened, where they take back defaulting weeks and make them productive, and where there is real market value to timeshare weeks, much lower than developer values, but real, getting in and getting out.

Sometimes older and lesser is better.

Dollars and sense aside, it's just sad that an industry has to rely on massive litigation of their customers as SOP.

Wow! I did not intend to go here when I started this post, but maybe a timeshare foreclosure crisis is what is needed . . . or, less painful, just letting the bad debt owners go.

Last edited:

Big Matt

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I could see some of the smaller independent timeshares just convert to condos, selling the units outright and establishing a subsequent condo association. You could even just flip them into apartments and work with municipalities to get affordable housing designations for some/all of the units. Most are going to be compliant already.

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil
I have never been nor do I intend on go to South Carolina.

Is there a reason? I think a lot of people here would say you might be missing something. SC has some wonderful areas and is a lot closer and cheaper to get to than Hawaii.