• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

NEWBIE- HICV points and how to get rid of them.....

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Orange Lake Country Club & Lake Geneva- 145000 points
Hey all!!
Newbie here to the forums. I'm sure this has been asked before but there are tons of threads on here to research so I thought I'd ask and see if I can get my questioned answered or at least pointed to the right direction/thread. We have recently gone into some financial hardship and have been unable to keep up with the maintenance and membership fees for approx 145000 points combined from Orange Lake and Lake Geneva which we own. Can these points be sold/given away as we no longer want/need them as we try to get back on our feet? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Again, newbie here so please be gentle :)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi James. No worries. We are a pretty gentle bunch. Sorry for your reversal of fortune. Are your timeshares paid for? Many TS outfits have a way that you can return paid-for TSs to them. Or you can list them on TUG's Bargain Deals subforum at low cost. I'm not sure if HICV has such a program, but that's worth exploring with them. If they are still not paid for, I'm afraid they can't be sold (nobody will buy them and they can't be transferred)

Another way to stop- or at least slow the financial bleeding it for you to reserve the highest demand week(s) you can, and offer them for rent, giving the takers a guest certificate from HICV. You may not fully cover your cost, but would give you a temporary breather from the financial pressure.

Good Luck, and Welcome to TUG!

Jim

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, follow Jim/Passepartout's advice. We're glad you came here first because the other piece of advice to people in your situation is to not go seeking the advice or help of any of these companies or law firms that claim they can exit you from or cancel your timeshares. They are usually scams or, at best, they will charge you thousands of dollars to do something you can do yourself.

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
Hey all!!
Newbie here to the forums. I'm sure this has been asked before but there are tons of threads on here to research so I thought I'd ask and see if I can get my questioned answered or at least pointed to the right direction/thread. We have recently gone into some financial hardship and have been unable to keep up with the maintenance and membership fees for approx 145000 points combined from Orange Lake and Lake Geneva which we own. Can these points be sold/given away as we no longer want/need them as we try to get back on our feet? Any guidance would be greatly appreciated! Again, newbie here so please be gentle :)
Depending on the number of Lake Geneva points you have they may have some value on resale. Unless the Orange Lake is a Holiday week it probably will need to be given away

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks folks for the replies!!!
At this point I think I'd rather just give them away (Lake Geneva points I have are not that much so doesn't pay to sell, I think). I'm already behind on 2019 maintenance fees (due 1/1/19 yes I know, timing sucks especially right after Christmas) and don't see myself catching up at all at this point (that's how bad it is). I'm pretty sure i will need to catch up on this before giving them away (right?) so my next question is 'HOW?' Is the process the same as having 'weeks' instead of 'points' per the "How to sell Timeshares" thread? Really can't afford even the transfer company fees if the seller is the one that needs to foot this bill. Really hoping someone on here can help big time. Don't mean to sound desperate, but.....I'M DESPERATE!! :)

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Check out the thread here. Hicv points chart
Not sure if you have what the OP is looking for

Bmatrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV Elite
You can give the points back using the Horizon Program. Probably need to be up to date on maintenance. Not sure if they have a fee.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Thanks folks for the replies!!!
At this point I think I'd rather just give them away (Lake Geneva points I have are not that much so doesn't pay to sell, I think). I'm already behind on 2019 maintenance fees (due 1/1/19 yes I know, timing sucks especially right after Christmas) and don't see myself catching up at all at this point (that's how bad it is). I'm pretty sure i will need to catch up on this before giving them away (right?) so my next question is 'HOW?' Is the process the same as having 'weeks' instead of 'points' per the "How to sell Timeshares" thread? Really can't afford even the transfer company fees if the seller is the one that needs to foot this bill. Really hoping someone on here can help big time. Don't mean to sound desperate, but.....I'M DESPERATE!! :)
Sent you a pm

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Depending on the number of Lake Geneva points you have they may have some value on resale. Unless the Orange Lake is a Holiday week it probably will need to be given away

Ok so how do I find out what the value of the Lake Geneva points are? May have someone interested.....
The Orange Lake portion is weird though. They allotted points value to week 42 2 bed Fri-Fri (original purchase back in 2001 which has since been paid in full then converted to points) to which I can use those points for a small fee on any other week other than primary week. So if i was to sell this, would it be points or the actual week? Is this even valuable/worthwhile to sell?

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Ok so how do I find out what the value of the Lake Geneva points are? May have someone interested.....
The Orange Lake portion is weird though. They allotted points value to week 42 2 bed Fri-Fri (original purchase back in 2001 which has since been paid in full then converted to points) to which I can use those points for a small fee on any other week other than primary week. So if i was to sell this, would it be points or the actual week? Is this even valuable/worthwhile to sell?
This unit would revert back to the original week, and unfortunately will not have resale value.
However I believe that HICV will take it back for free.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've already looked into and requested information pertaining the Horizons program for my Orange Lake week but I still have points for Lake Geneva which I was told have some resale value. Can someone provide some information as to how much each point is worth? I've already searched on here and not finding much.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
I've already looked into and requested information pertaining the Horizons program for my Orange Lake week but I still have points for Lake Geneva which I was told have some resale value. Can someone provide some information as to how much each point is worth? I've already searched on here and not finding much.
You can look on Ebay for completed sales and see what they have been selling for/

Tank

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV South Beach Myrtle Beach
HICV Lake Geneva
HICV Gatlinburg
HICV Orange Lake Kissemee
You have yet to tell us how many points the Lake Geneva is i'm guessing 15,000 since your 2 bedroom Orange lake should be at least 130,000.

It is worth very little if that's the case they had these to sell to convert other weeks to points.

15,000 PT's don't really help anybody in the pt system to add to a portfolio for the money

DaMarial

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV
Hi All,

I am following an ebay post for HICV resale at Orange Lake offering 159,000 points. However this is not one of the three resorts within HICV that transfer points. Confusingly week 31 is listed as the deeded week. The seller says you will get the points, but "should be independently verified before placing your bid". Is this post legit?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/159-000-AN...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

New to HICV.

Thanks,
DaMarial

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
If you independently verify, you will find the answer is "No, the points don't transfer/"

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
To bump up this post, I have a question. I just called the Horizons group today as they took for ever to reply and was told I can't give back my contracts until I pay up the 2020 fees and the process will be denied being it takes 6-8 weeks to process which will put the time frame at the beginning of 2020. Is this true? It doesn't make sense to pay for something I'm giving back. Or am I stuck with the 2020 fees?

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
To bump up this post, I have a question. I just called the Horizons group today as they took for ever to reply and was told I can't give back my contracts until I pay up the 2020 fees and the process will be denied being it takes 6-8 weeks to process which will put the time frame at the beginning of 2020. Is this true? It doesn't make sense to pay for something I'm giving back. Or am I stuck with the 2020 fees?
Yes. You would have had to initiate the process earlier. At this point you are stuck with the 2020 fees. If you have points you can use the points to book something for early 2020 (since you paid for them) and when that trip is over you can immediately apply for Horizons. You won't have to pay 2021 MF unless you wait until after October 2021.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ok thanks!! Yes, I kind of thought the same thing......