• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Mailing a passport for renewal

joyzilli

TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you just use a Priority Mail envelope which includes tracking?

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
That sounds about right. I sent my son's in for renewal earlier this year during the gov't shutdown (those agencies were working
cause they're fee based).
I didn't send it certified or anything like that.
But I did make photocopies of the passport & renewal form, just in case there were issues.
He got the new passport back within the stated turnaround time.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You could just use a Priority Mail flat rate envelope. Though that may cost you a bit more, but is probably the easiest option. As long as you can print to paper, you can ship online through Paypal to get a discount.

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
I have always sent mine certified. That way, I can both track the delivery online and prove to the State Department that I sent the passport should there ever be a problem, heaven forbid. Fortunately, such an occurrence has not happened, but the small additional charge gives me peace of mind in case the U.S. Postal Service screws up.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I used plain ol' 1st class, wrapped in paper - no problem.
But then, I've always been a glass is half-full sort'a person.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I used plain ol' 1st class, wrapped in paper - no problem.
I think that's what I did. And I'm not even sure I wrapped it in anything more than the application for renewal and enclosed a check. Not worth overthinking.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I honestly don't remember how I shipped ours the last time. I know I didn't go in to the post office to do it. I know I sent my Canadian passport off to Canada for renewal with just 1st Class mail.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Commander-in-Chief mailed our passports off 1st class and we rec'd our new passport back under three (3) weeks.

pagosajim

TUG Member
Reaction score
Timely topic for me as I'm filling out the renewal paperwork now.

Question: Can I mail 2 renewals (mine and DW) together in the same envelope?

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
pagosajim, we mailed both passports in the same brown envelope package.

susieq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bay Voyage, Jamestown, RI
The Commander-in-Chief mailed our passports off 1st class and we rec'd our new passport back under three (3) weeks.

Good to know - I mailed ours off first class - certified - around Memorial Day. We've gotten the green card back...............

I did - just used separate checks for the fees................

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
A related passport question. Is it a RULE or only a recommendation, that your passport expiration date should be at least SIX Months after your expected return to the US date? We are traveling to Israel in early September , returning to the US on September 13, 2019. My passport expires on March 3, 2020, a bit LESS than 6 months after my return date.
Do I really need to send in my passport for renewal BEFORE my trip to be in compliance with the 6 month expiration rule? Also, adding to the complication of this, we are traveling to Aruba in July, where obviously I need my passport and we will be returning on July 22, only about 6 weeks before leaving on our trip to Israel.
Can I just wait until I get back from Israel to renew my passport?

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
A related passport question. Is it a RULE or only a recommendation, that your passport expiration date should be at least SIX Months after your expected return to the US date? We are traveling to Israel in early September , returning to the US on September 13, 2019. My passport expires on March 3, 2020, a bit LESS than 6 months after my return date.
Do I really need to send in my passport for renewal BEFORE my trip to be in compliance with the 6 month expiration rule? Also, adding to the complication of this, we are traveling to Aruba in July, where obviously I need my passport and we will be returning on July 22, only about 6 weeks before leaving on our trip to Israel.
It really depends on the countries you are visiting and sometimes even the airline you are traveling with;

https://travel.state.gov/content/passports/en/country.html

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The State Department doesn't give a rat's patootie, as long as it is still valid when you enter the dear ol' U.S. of A. Outbound, the carrier (usually) wants your passport to be valid during the full period of the visa that gives you access to the foreign country (usually a tourist visa is valid for 6 months). Using this as a guideline, you should be fine to wait until your return. The only problem would be if your return is delayed. And of course, if you are arguing with the agent at the airport on 9/13/19, you don't know me.

Jim

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The only problem would be if your return is delayed. And of course, if you are arguing with the agent at the airport on 9/13/19, you don't know me.
Unless the return is delayed beyond expiration, there should be no issues with flying back to the US, unless one's travels traverse through some other county.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Unless the return is delayed beyond expiration, there should be no issues with flying back to the US, unless one's travels traverse through some other county.
At most international airports, interline transfers are usually accomplished without clearing immigration (or a passport check) but in unusual circumstances there might be a snag. I'd chance it.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Per https://israel.travel/goisrael/, Israel requires 6 months' validity from date of entry.
Airlines have been known to deny outbound boarding if passport has L/T 6 mos to go.
That means you'd need to depart or renew your passport before 9/3.

If it were me, I'd renew it before the trip to Aruba.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Suggestion only renew your passport and be safe.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
If you are interested you can check out www.fedex.com/passport.
They have 6 different return-time category fees in addition to the government $170 renewsl fee. You chose whst works best for you and what you are willing to pay.

Richard

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)

My husband and I (yes, we are both men - 7 years apart in age) sent our passports in together about 30 years ago. Each picture was clearly labelled with name and SSN on the back. Our passports came with the pictures reversed. They got us replacements very quickly.

In an earlier episode, they spelled by husbands name wrong on the passport - changed a GU to a QU. That was during the era (80's) when you had to pay to talk to a person at Passports. Again, we got a new one quickly.

Our last renewal (2018) was super quick. I don't think it even took two weeks.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... Our passports came with the pictures reversed...

I could envision the passport control officer looking at your photos, glancing up at the two of you, looking back at the photos, then looking up again, and muttering, "I must'a been at this too long."
-- but of course, you never got a chance to test it.