• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Dog Suggestions

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
As much as I wanted to respond to some of the comments about labs posted throughout this thread, I will say this: we have had Labrador Retrievers for over 35 years which spans the lifetimes of 3 generations of unrelated puppies. They have all been energetic and need some space to romp (again, see the photo in my post above for our current solution to this problem...) - but you know what - all dogs need a place to play.

While I get how dogs can fill a huge void in our lives, before you get a dog you should make sure you can fill the needs in their lives too.

Nowhere in life can I find a happier picture than a dog at play.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
As much as I wanted to respond to some of the comments about labs posted throughout this thread, I will say this: we have had Labrador Retrievers for over 35 years which spans the lifetimes of 3 generations of unrelated puppies. They have all been energetic and need some space to romp (again, see the photo in my post above for our current solution to this problem...) - but you know what - all dogs need a place to play.

While I get how dogs can fill a huge void in our lives, before you get a dog you should make sure you can fill the needs in their lives too.

There's a reason Labs are the most registered breed in the AKC. And it's not just because they have big litters. They are wonderful dogs, if they have the right owner. :)

Dave

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark

Labs are my absolute favorites. I love their sunny, happy disposition. We had owned Labs continuously from 1989 through 2015 when Buddy passed. We have a pool and for sure, the dogs have spent more time in it than the humans at our house. They need a lot of exercise (walking, swimming, retrieving) to get the wiggles out, in my experience, and it needs to be every day for at least an hour. When we adopted Kaya, we knew that we couldn't commit to that level of activity at that point in our lives. I truly miss having a Labrador and started looking at possibly making an English Lab our next dog, but that probably won't be for awhile.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
It's been fun reading about everyone's dogs. We had a beagle boy and a cairn terrier girl. I'd have another beagle in an instant, everyone was his friend, except when they weren't. Had Germans come to stay once and had no idea she was afraid of dogs. Zeke picked up on that almost immediately and backed away and actually growled. We were mortified, but everyone became friends in the end. We figured he'd welcome burglars to the house, until one night when Cliff was working very late and Zeke took up position on the small patio outside the bedroom exterior door. He knew I was in the bedroom, and every few minutes there would be a low growl from him as he guarded me from whatever was going on. That was creepy, we had a steep backyard with a mobile home park behind it way at the top, and Lord knows that dog never met a skunk he didn't want to tangle with nose to tail, so I have no idea what was in the yard that night that made him go into the guard dog mode.

But the Toto dog? OMG I'd never have another cairn terrier. You want me to do what?! Nope, not happening, who do you think I am? We swear she thought she was a cat (we brought home two puppies and two kittens over the span of ten days). It was hysterical to watch Megan watch the kittens jump up on the kitchen counter, then try to copy them and jump about four inches in the air and look around puzzled as to why she was still on the floor. As they aged Zeke lost his hearing so Megan would go get him if he didn't hear us call him. She became blind towards the end, and he would find her ball for her. We loved them dearly, but became strictly cat people after they died.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
We had bichon, acquired from a breeder who did a few litters a year, kept the pups who had potential as show dogs and sold the others. They were members of the local Bichon association, interested in promoting the breed. We were able to visit their home just after the dog was born to see the litter and verify that they weren't a puppy mill. The dog was smart, low shedding and very loving. I swear his unconditional love was one of the reasons my one daughter survived her teenage years.

Our subsequent two dogs have been rescues, one a westie/schnauzer mix and the current likely a shih tzu/mini poodle. The Westie was slightly older, had been dumped on an Indian reservation and seemed lovingly determined to show his appreciation for being in our family. The current one has more of the shih tzu personality—independent and slightly bossy, but still a good dog. She was transported from the back woods of Kentucky where shelters are inundated to the rescue group we like here in MN.

One note on rescues: most of the ones in our area place the dogs first in a foster home, where they are usually with other dogs, often cats and children. So the fosters quickly get a good sense if the dog has any serious issues. The listing on the rescue site always includes observations on personality, behavior quirks and any major health issues, and when the perspective adopter merits the dog, the foster is there as well to answer questions and see how the personalities blend. Sometimes there are requirements, like that a dog should only go to a home with a fenced yard, or where someone is home during the day. The rescue requires adopters to have a home visit or to bring a video showing the rooms in their home, to help prevent dogs from going to hoarders. The rescue also stipulates that if the adoption isn't working out for any reason that you contact them first and they will take the dog back.

I understand people's warnings about adopting a rescue dog, but the experience when working with a good rescue organization is very different than stopping in at the local pound and picking a dog. The rescue organizations also take dogs from the local pound and place them with fosters, too, to help improve their chances of adoption. And I do see listings for dogs that are likely pure bred, sometimes from breeding situations.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We are partial to Cocker Spaniels. We have had 4 since 1991 - 2 as puppies and 2 as rescue. All have been great with people. Our current one is now 3 years old and we have had him since he was 8 weeks old. The rescues seemed to be super appreciative to a new home - but we only had each for 4-6 years as opposed to 15 for our first one that was a puppy, when we got him.

Kyle is our current cocker .......
upload_2019-6-16_12-34-50.png

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
We are partial to Cocker Spaniels. We have had 4 since 1991 - 2 as puppies and 2 as rescue. All have been great with people. Our current one is now 3 years old and we have had him since he was 8 weeks old. The rescues seemed to be super appreciative to a new home - but we only had each for 4-6 years as opposed to 15 for our first one that was a puppy, when we got him.

Kyle is our current cocker .......
View attachment 12419

Used to raise cockers and springers. Great dogs but sorta lab like in that they wanted to always go hunting!!

geekette

Reaction score
I grew up with poodles, miniatures, I think about 6 of them over time. their temperaments were all different, but the calmest and smartest of all came from a breeder of show dogs. Tessa had an underbite, could not be shown. Somehow, this dog just knew what to do and was a delight always, never a nervous sort, but confident instead. Real breeders screen out disease, etc., and bring forth the best traits of the breed. Perhaps a retired show dog.

Beware that poodles are hunters. Once they taste a rabbit, they want another. I'm not sure about toy poodles, but minis and standards chase to catch. If you have a normal suburban yard, they may never catch anything.

Poodles can be playful all of their lives. All you need to do is find an engaging activity for them that requires you to do little. Twice daily walks and chew toys might do a lot of it for you, and then nourish the watch dog instincts. If you can give a smart dog a job, you can keep them very happy.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Not sure how big you are looking for, but a rescue greyhound is about as calm as you can get.

Never had one, but have been around them, and they are wonderful. There should be quite a few available in Florida.

Our dog was under the portable generator I took down to our new dock 12 years ago, not much bigger than a fist, and covered with ticks.

We said we'd clean her up and take her to WalMart to give her away. We haven't yet.

We travel between our FL and northern home with five cats and her. All came to us, and they keep coming.

louisianab

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV and Vacation Village at Williamsburg.
You might want to volunteer a local rescue or shelter and get to know a bunch of the dogs, see what appeals to you and your household. Maybe an older dog who has less energy and is already trained, might be an easier transition.

I had huskies and malamutes. These are dogs that need to work. They have a high activity level and they need to run and pull. They shed their fur seasonally. Great dogs- as are most- but be aware they will need training- as does any dog- and you are going to get a lot of exercise!

THIS! To have a husky - you need a TALL fence, a great vacuum and a bunch of energy. :)
(Our current one is kind of a jerk. Our previous two were a runner and a lover, respectively.)

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We were very lucky with our latest dog - Felix. I have written about him before. He is a rescue GSP. He thinks everyone and every animal (other than squirrels) are his friends. Though he is no push over. If another dog tries to show dominance by bumping or mounting he quickly asserts himself. He shares the couch with the 2 cats. He is not prey driven. So long as he gets his long walk once a day off leash he is happy. He loves Patti but he is my dog. He loves the Dog Park. There is high grass, bushes, and trees for him to pretend hunt. Ocassionally he will develop situational hearing loss in the Dog Park. When he gets too far away he gets two calls and two whistles. If he does not respond I walk to where he is and put on a lease and guide him back. 5 to 10 minutes on a leash and his hearing miraculously returns.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend! :thumbup:

Just consider what our dogs must think of us. We come home with the most amazing bounty, chicken, pork and beef. They think we're the greatest hunters on earth!

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have a pug and is just a wonderful dog. Pugs are bred to be companion dogs , so that's really all he wants -- just to be with me. He's very low energy and about as sweet as can be. I have never once seen even a moment of aggression in him. The downside of pugs is that they shed a lot and flat-faced breeds have breathing issues. But pugs are about as low-maintenance as they come.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend! :thumbup:

Just consider what our dogs must think of us. We come home with the most amazing bounty, chicken, pork and beef. They think we're the greatest hunters on earth!
Dogs think of humans like we think of elves. Supernatural creatures that live 500 years, (a dog seldom sees it's humans die) and able to do magic- open walls (doors) and turn dark into light (light switches).

Jim

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I have 3 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels age 13, 9 and 4. They are my babies and give me a reason to live and are the loves of my life in addition to DH and my 10 year old orange tabby. This is my favorite breed. I am a member of many Facebook groups for cavaliers and go on FB daily for a little while just to click on photos. All animals are one of my passions, as you can see from my photo. My Cavaliers look like Lady, don't they? Cavaliers shed a lot so probably not a great idea for anyone with dog allergies. If by any chance you do want a Cavalier, I have adopted all of mine from the same breeder in Montana. My 4 and 9 year old are heart clear and have no medical problems, which is rare for Cavaliers. My 13 year old is still active but aging is getting to him now and some health problems have emerged at an older age. A rare TravelTime sighting! LOL :p

Laura Dogs SLC.JPG

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I have 3 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels age 13, 9 and 4. They are my babies and give me a reason to live and are the loves of my life in addition to DH and my 10 year old orange tabby. This is my favorite breed. I am a member of many Facebook groups for cavaliers and go on FB daily for a little while just to click on photos. All animals are one of my passions, as you can see from my photo. My Cavaliers look like Lady, don't they? Cavaliers shed a lot so probably not a great idea for anyone with dog allergies. If by any chance you do want a Cavalier, I have adopted all of mine from the same breeder in Montana. My 4 and 9 year old are heart clear and have no medical problems, which is rare for Cavaliers. My 13 year old is still active but aging is getting to him now and some health problems have emerged at an older age. A rare TravelTime sighting! LOL :p

View attachment 12421

I really like Cavaliers, and if I hadn't found my Longhaired Mini Dachshunds all those years ago, I'd have at least one Cav. The Blenheims have such a beautiful color combination. Yours are gorgeous!

Dave

dogfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks again to everyone for your helpful suggestions. I also have found your perspectives quite interesting. I find it great fun to hear a variety of opinions. Some time back for fun my wife and I took a couple of tests to see what kind of dog might be a good fit for us - one of those that came up was the Lagotto Romagnolo. Anyone know anything about these dogs. I think they are primarily Italian and not commonly found in the US.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks again to everyone for your helpful suggestions. I also have found your perspectives quite interesting. I find it great fun to hear a variety of opinions. Some time back for fun my wife and I took a couple of tests to see what kind of dog might be a good fit for us - one of those that came up was the Lagotto Romagnolo. Anyone know anything about these dogs. I think they are primarily Italian and not commonly found in the US.

Cool looking dogs. They remind me somewhat of a golden doodle. Seriously curly hair, for sure. They'd need to be brushed a lot, I'm thinking.

Here's what the AKC has to say about them. https://www.akc.org/dog-breeds/lagotto-romagnolo/

This page lists AKC-approved breeders who may have puppies for sale: https://marketplace.akc.org/puppies/lagotto-romagnolo

Dave

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Ka'anapali Beach Club (Diamond)
As a foster and rescue contact for Maltese dogs, I highly recommend a rescue for these reasons: We know the temperament and the idiosyncrasies of the dogs. Usually I have a dog several months before I placed him/her. I know if they don't get along with cats or other dogs, if they are potty trained, or if they have other issues. Usually I have the issues worked out before they are placed. We accept the dogs back if they don't work out in your family, or if, God forbid, something happen in the family that makes owning your dog difficult or impossible. Several of the dogs I have fostered have been given up by their owners because they needed to go into care homes or were ill. Some of those came with pet insurance. About half of the dogs I've gotten have been very young, including under a year old. Also, we have them vetted out and any medical care needs taken care of.

Not all rescues are as committed and trustworthy as ours, so do your homework if you choose to go with a rescue.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Our recent Rex is a black Labadoodle . He is about 60 pounds, curly poodle type hair, non-shed, easy to groom as he can sit still, great with kids and animals and he is always watching me. Rex can do things like get the remote, toys or his leash. I wish I could train him to get me a beer.

Rex was purchased from a breeder. His mom is a Labadoodle and his dad is a Poodle so he is about 70% Poodle. Very chill dog.

Bill

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Patti calls Felix a Velcro Dog. By the way people are most familiar with Roan or Roan and White GSP's. Felix is Black and White. Yes this is a natural Coloring for GSP's. According to the AKC this is a disqualifier for Show. But it is an accepted Coloring Internationally. Even the Breeding of Roan on Roan can result in Black or Black and White puppies. In an over zealous (but fruitless) effort to eliminate this colouring some Breeders kill Black/Black and White Puppies.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
In an over zealous (but fruitless) effort to eliminate this colouring some Breeders kill Black/Black and White Puppies.

It’s all about $$$ and priorities. Why feed a “disqualified” puppy? Almost the same thing with white German Shepherds. If the puppy doesn’t have eye or hearing issues, no reason to destroy it, even though it can’t be shown. A breeder who wants to make great puppies isn’t necessarily the same as a breeder who wants to make great [Insert Breed Here] show puppies.

Dave

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Ka'anapali Beach Club (Diamond)
I know a lot of show breeders for Maltese, and if a puppy doesn't fit the standard, be it for too much color (Maltese should be all white with possibly some cream on the ears), or whatever, they spay/neuter and place them in a pet home. They won't pass on the genes, but someone gets a beloved pet.

stmartinfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Little Bay, St. Maarten
I know a lot of show breeders for Maltese, and if a puppy doesn't fit the standard, be it for too much color (Maltese should be all white with possibly some cream on the ears), or whatever, they spay/neuter and place them in a pet home. They won't pass on the genes, but someone gets a beloved pet.

That was a requirement when we got our bichon from a breeder...since he wasn’t show quality he had to be neutered. We would have done it anyway. And both our rescue dogs were neutered before they were available for adoption..and house trained!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500

This is what a friend of ours did with her Corgis that obviously were not going to be show dogs. I have heard of a guy in Silverrton Oregon that has a Black GSP Birch that Breeds for Black or Black and White. His last litter in which both were Black he had 1 Black, 1 Black and White, 1 Roan, and 1 Roan and White.