• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Parents bought Nanea and have no idea how to use it

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
So basically it is relevant AND does impact stays. :shrug:

:p AND does make it easier to get.
It isn't relevant in the context of the OP. Since they own developer purchased Nanea, it is as good as mandatory. The fact that it is voluntary only impacts it when they go to sell, their sales price may be depressed because the buyer won't have access to VSN at 8 months.

For a developer purchase at a voluntary resort, it makes no difference from a usage standpoint for that developer buyer.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I believe this is a mischaracterization of mandatory vs voluntary. At a mandatory resort, the ability to use Staroptions transfers with the sale of the ownership. At a voluntary resort it does not.

I think the poster means that for owners of non-mandatory resorts, the ability to use Staroptions is based on whether the ownership is developer purchased or resale.
The whole conversation is based on the context of the original post, developer purchased Nanea HomeOptions. Somehow voluntary usage came in to it which means nothing to the OP.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
Okay... no worries :D bigger picture for the resort than he may have wanted.

It's a beautiful property regardless. He should be able to enjoy it immensely.

It's also one of the newest properties in Ka'anapali. 2017!!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
The whole conversation is based on the context of the original post, developer purchased Nanea HomeOptions. Somehow voluntary usage came in to it which means nothing to the OP.

Being Voluntary does matter if Owners decide to sell at some point as HomeResort Options do not transfer.

However, as to their current usage - really not that hard. Either use the resort (best to reserve exactly at 12 months), or use the Options as StarOptions (at 8 months). The other two Pillars of VSE (Points or II) are basically useless usage considering the Nanea MFs and downside exchanges.

So many Owners buy without knowing what they own. As they bought Nanea - they should use it.
As there are not many 1Bd villas at Nanea - highly recommended reserving exactly at 12 months.
Get an online VSE account.

darius

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi,

My parents bought in Nanea 3 years ago and have never used it. My dad is too embarrassed to ask anyone, so I am trying to figure out what they bought and how to use it. I have all the paperwork but I am struggling to make heads or tails of it. Any chance someone can point me in the right direction?

Thanks so much

Hi there,

This might be obvious - but I would pick up the phone and talk with Vistana sales. I've got a friend who was in a similar situation and his parents (with him on the phone) called Vistana and they explained all their questions. Have you tried that?

Thanks!
Darius

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Hi there,

This might be obvious - but I would pick up the phone and talk with Vistana sales. I've got a friend who was in a similar situation and his parents (with him on the phone) called Vistana and they explained all their questions. Have you tried that?

Thanks!
Darius

Not sure if calling Sales is necessary.

Pretty simple - they own 95.7K HomeResort Options (Resort View).

Make a date to go (12 months in
Advance) - and reserve enough to cover the 95.7K HOs.
The Option chart is on the VSE website.

Make the reservation online by setting up an account on VSE - this setup is very typical for every corporate website.

Not sure what Sales will add - except for confusion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
4Sunsets - Mandatory/Voluntary only applies to timeshares that were purchased RESALE. It does not apply to this discussion because this was a developer purchase.

A voluntary resort means that you have NO Staroptions if you purchase resale.

A mandatory resort means that you DO have Staroptions if your purchase resale.

Voluntary ownership purchased Resale:
-Owner can make home resort reservations starting at 12 months before check-in.
-Owner cannot make Staroption reservations at all - they don't own Staroptions.

Mandatory ownership purchased Resale:
-Owner can make home resort reservations starting at 12 months before check-in.
-Owner can make Staroption reservations starting at 8 months before check-in.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Dave is correct - I would certainly NOT call sales. If there are unanswered questions, I'd make a conference call with dad and mom to Owner Services. Sales job is to sell you something - not to answer owner's questions.

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
You may have a hard time finding a 1-bedroom available for Nanea; unless you call around midnight EST a year before they want to go.
Or you can bank the HomeResort options and get a 2-bedroom for them next year (and go along with them). That's what we did last year. We own a 1-bedroom, but wanted to take our older kids with us. Two bedrooms are usually available. OR, they can stay at the two other resorts next door; or on Kauai.

This year we used our Home Options at the Westin St. John in the Virgin Islands. Which was an amazing place to stay. We're planning to go there again next year. There are some very nice properties to choose from; I really enjoyed Nanea but probably don't want to go there every year.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned

4Sunsets

Reaction score
OP is gone everyone

4Sunsets

Reaction score

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Um, all 4 posts are from May 27.
I get that, but it doesn't mean they aren't still reading our replies since they were here on the 15th.