• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Maui fixed vs float resale

chileaquiles

TUG Member
Reaction score
Looking at maui resale and wondering when it states it is floating, does that mean i need to make sure i call 12 months ahead to reserve the week i want? Vs fixed you get that week and cant change that week unless you trade or rent your week but guaranteed you get that week?

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Exactly. Although your chances of getting a prime week are better if you can reserve at 13 months (i.e. if you have two weeks and reserve them back to back).

chileaquiles

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the 13 weeks only if they are enrolled and resale doesn't count? Looking at redweek. 2 bedroom ocean front. $22k for week 35 - a week i would probably never use, $30k for floating week and need to check online 5am (west cost)for a week in summer and cross fingers or $38k for fixed 28 week and ensure i get in the summer. Any other options outside of just renting the week i want?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the 13 weeks only if they are enrolled and resale doesn't count? Looking at redweek. 2 bedroom ocean front. $22k for week 35 - a week i would probably never use, $30k for floating week and need to check online 5am (west cost)for a week in summer and cross fingers or $38k for fixed 28 week and ensure i get in the summer. Any other options outside of just renting the week i want?

Eligibility for booking of consecutive / concurrent weeks at 13 months in advance of check in date is available to all home resort multiple weeks owners, irrespective of whether enrolled or not, purchased developer or resale...

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
You can reserve back-to-back weeks (or concurrent weeks) at 13 months regardless of whether they were purchased developer or resale.

The week 35 for $22K? If it is annual, it will never pass ROFR. The floater for $30K is very close to that line.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch

I assume you are only looking at Lahaina/Napili as they are the only towers with fixed weeks, other than 51 and 52 in the old towers.

The Week 22 is under contract and Marriott will definitely take it. As VacationTime noted, you'd need to buy at, most likely, at $32K to clear ROFR for a 2BR OF, fixed or floating...subject to the randomness of ROFR actions.

You could do a floating week, 2BR OF, in the old towers for $25K for sure, but the jury is out on $22-24K I think.

The rent vs buy discussion has a lot of traffic on a few other recent threads, but the value of the fixed week is you know the unit and week you will get, but you have to really know you want that week, e.g., summer, whale season, etc.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
You can reserve back-to-back weeks (or concurrent weeks) at 13 months regardless of whether they were purchased developer or resale.

The week 35 for $22K? If it is annual, it will never pass ROFR. The floater for $30K is very close to that line.
I failed at $29k. Maybe $30k would pass. $32k pretty likely would pass.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I assume you are only looking at Lahaina/Napili as they are the only towers with fixed weeks, other than 51 and 52 in the old towers.

The Week 22 is under contract and Marriott will definitely take it. As VacationTime noted, you'd need to buy at, most likely, at $32K to clear ROFR for a 2BR OF, fixed or floating...subject to the randomness of ROFR actions.

You could do a floating week, 2BR OF, in the old towers for $25K for sure, but the jury is out on $22-24K I think.
Another option for the "2nd" unit and access to the 13 month reservation window is to buy a smaller or less prime (Mountain view instead of ocean front for instance) in the older building. Far less expensive. A 1-BR mountain view is about $7k. Can use that for extended family, rent, or just stay two weeks, one week ocean front in the Napili/Lahina, one week in the other unit. So, instead of 1 fixed week at $38k, get 2 weeks floating for the same cost.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Another option for the "2nd" unit and access to the 13 month reservation window is to buy a smaller or less prime (Mountain view instead of ocean front for instance) in the older building. Far less expensive. A 1-BR mountain view is about $7k. Can use that for extended family, rent, or just stay two weeks, one week ocean front in the Napili/Lahina, one week in the other unit. So, instead of 1 fixed week at $38k, get 2 weeks floating for the same cost.

I know some folks have reported difficulty booking OF units in Lahaina/Napili even at the 13-month window. (That was one contributing reason we opted to purchase a slightly less-in-demand 2BR OV in the original towers.) I do believe however most of those horror stories were during Feb/Mar prime whale season, and maybe even specific to Presidents Day week. I have no idea if the OP's goal of summer would be equally challenging for OF in Lahaina/Napili. At least you do get two chances as a multi-week owner - try at the 13-month window, and then if you fail the first time, try again when the rest of the inventory gets released at the 12-month window.

eyedude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast (Platinum Plus and Platinum), Marriott Mountainside (ski week), Marriott Maui Ocean Club Lahaina (week 34,35 and 49,50), DSV 2 (red)
Hi All,

First post but longtime visitor. I have learned a ton from y'all and want to thank you for all the information I have gained over the years. I wanted to let y'all know what happened to the week 35 Lahaina OF selling for 22K. I just got notice that it passed ROFR!! I am very surprised because I had 3 previous Maui OF offers that I made the last couple months... 2 of 3 were taken by Marriott. The first offer I made was for a 3 bedroom OF, fixed week 44 on the second floor. Marriott took that by ROFR at 28K...no surprise. The next week was a 2 bedroom OF, fixed week 44 that I offered 30K. I really wanted this week because it was on the first floor. Unfortunately, they took that one too. Last month, I made a third offer on a fixed week 50 for 33K. Seller paid all closing costs and first use is 2019. For most people, week 50 is probably not a great week. However, my wife and I love Maui in November and December. Week 50 also happens to be our anniversary week so there was a ton of sentimental value. I will be able to enjoy every anniversary with my wife on Maui!! It is on the 11th floor.

I fully expected Marriott to take the week 35 Lahaina 2 bedroom OF. It was originally listed for 22K but I wanted to up the price a bit to help clear ROFR...I offered 23.5K. I am extremely surprised that it passed. I'm especially excited because it is the corner unit on the 12th floor.

So...my first two weeks were taken by ROFR and the next two weeks passed. I am wondering if Marriott is slowing down a little. If you have been on the fence, now might be a good time to make an offer. You never know, it might just pass ROFR..

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Hi All,

First post but longtime visitor. I have learned a ton from y'all and want to thank you for all the information I have gained over the years. I wanted to let y'all know what happened to the week 35 Lahaina OF selling for 22K. I just got notice that it passed ROFR!! I am very surprised because I had 3 previous Maui OF offers that I made the last couple months... 2 of 3 were taken by Marriott. The first offer I made was for a 3 bedroom OF, fixed week 44 on the second floor. Marriott took that by ROFR at 28K...no surprise. The next week was a 2 bedroom OF, fixed week 44 that I offered 30K. I really wanted this week because it was on the first floor. Unfortunately, they took that one too. Last month, I made a third offer on a fixed week 50 for 33K. Seller paid all closing costs and first use is 2019. For most people, week 50 is probably not a great week. However, my wife and I love Maui in November and December. Week 50 also happens to be our anniversary week so there was a ton of sentimental value. I will be able to enjoy every anniversary with my wife on Maui!! It is on the 11th floor.

I fully expected Marriott to take the week 35 Lahaina 2 bedroom OF. It was originally listed for 22K but I wanted to up the price a bit to help clear ROFR...I offered 23.5K. I am extremely surprised that it passed. I'm especially excited because it is the corner unit on the 12th floor.

So...my first two weeks were taken by ROFR and the next two weeks passed. I am wondering if Marriott is slowing down a little. If you have been on the fence, now might be a good time to make an offer. You never know, it might just pass ROFR..
Congratulations, perseverance pays off! Good for you! I have one waiting on ROFR, it gives me more hope, you never know until you try. Thank you for posting your experience.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can see why that OF passed at the low number, it does represent the lowest season for Maui, but if it works for the owner it represents a truly great deal.

eyedude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Newport Coast (Platinum Plus and Platinum), Marriott Mountainside (ski week), Marriott Maui Ocean Club Lahaina (week 34,35 and 49,50), DSV 2 (red)
Actually, it isn't the lowest season for Maui...it has a TDI of 105. It has the same TDI as the week 44 that they took back by ROFR at 30K. I'm not sure how Marriott decides to use ROFR. With fixed weeks, fixed units, do they take into consideration the floor or week...or does location, view and point value matter the most? I would consider week 44 OF, 2 bedroom Lahaina tower, 1st floor = week 35 OF, 2 bedroom Lahaina tower, top floor. Yet, they took the week 44 and left the week 35. I still think Marriott might be slowing down on their purchases and now might be a good time to try and sneak one past the goalie.

WahooWah

Reaction score
Actually, it isn't the lowest season for Maui...it has a TDI of 105. It has the same TDI as the week 44 that they took back by ROFR at 30K. I'm not sure how Marriott decides to use ROFR. With fixed weeks, fixed units, do they take into consideration the floor or week...or does location, view and point value matter the most? I would consider week 44 OF, 2 bedroom Lahaina tower, 1st floor = week 35 OF, 2 bedroom Lahaina tower, top floor. Yet, they took the week 44 and left the week 35. I still think Marriott might be slowing down on their purchases and now might be a good time to try and sneak one past the goalie.

I disagree with the TDI rating completely. To say that week 35 is higher than week 44 is completely inaccurate. September is the hottest and most uncomfortable month of the year on Maui. There are A LOT more visitors who spend more money in late October/early November on Maui.

WahooWah

Reaction score
Also, I do not think Marriott is slowing anything down with ROFR. Couple of reasons why perhaps: 1) they need trust inventory and 2) they are about to roll out some new program (points integration with Westin/Sheraton, maybe?) and they may want to discourage resale buyers.

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So, just to confirm, if I were to buy a fixed week at the Lahaina towers and I couldn't or didn't want to use that week and wanted another week instead, would I have to trade or rent it or would Marriott let me book a different week directly through them? I'd prefer the option of booking a different week directly though Marriott without having to trade or rent out but I don't know if that's an option w/ fixed weeks.

Shaun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The value would be in renting it, but to get another week you would have to deposit and trade through Interval or similar. Marriott isn’t an option.
Thank you for the info! Since I can't dedicate a particular week every year, I'll concentrate on the Float units, thanks.

eyedude

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I disagree with the TDI rating completely. To say that week 35 is higher than week 44 is completely inaccurate. September is the hottest and most uncomfortable month of the year on Maui. There are A LOT more visitors who spend more money in late October/early November on Maui.

I did not say that week 35 has a higher TDI than week 44 - I said they were the same. "September the hottest and most uncomfortable month of the year." Really? Is there a bad time to visit Maui? I just did a quick search...the average temperature difference on Maui... June thru October is 2 degrees F. The average humidity in August and September is less than October and November. I guess we will "suffer" swimming and snorkeling the last week of August.

I'm not entirely sure how Interval determines the Travel Demand Index but I would assume if there were "A LOT more visitors" in late October/November the TDI for those weeks would be A LOT higher...they are the same.

I guess time will tell if I got lucky or if Marriott is slowing down on ROFR.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the info! Since I can't dedicate a particular week every year, I'll concentrate on the Float units, thanks.
You still have to make a reservation which can be tough to very tough even at the 12 or 13 month window for some higher demand weeks. If there's a week that works most of the time a fixed week still might be a good choice. I doubt there's much difference between week 35 & 44 from a trade standpoint, likely none at all. There is no difference in TPU between the 2 weeks for RCI for the SOK that I looked at. But marriott rental prices for Maui are higher in Nov than in Sept by roughly 11-12%.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I'll be in my OF 2-BR Napili (floating) next week. I had no problem at the 12 mo time frame reserving it. I was a bit concerned about whether the week available would start Friday, Saturday or Sunday, because I needed (best) a Saturday since I'm moving from there right into my Hilton TS in the Lagoon Tower, and they only start on Saturday. I did get all set at my computer and made the online reservation literally within minutes of the 12-month window opening. But I had options (could have started Friday or Saturday). It's not that hard to get up a bit earlier than usual one day a year ahead.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll be in my OF 2-BR Napili (floating) next week. I had no problem at the 12 mo time frame reserving it. I was a bit concerned about whether the week available would start Friday, Saturday or Sunday, because I needed (best) a Saturday since I'm moving from there right into my Hilton TS in the Lagoon Tower, and they only start on Saturday. I did get all set at my computer and made the online reservation literally within minutes of the 12-month window opening. But I had options (could have started Friday or Saturday). It's not that hard to get up a bit earlier than usual one day a year ahead.
There have been a number of reports of people being shut out for their desired week even starting at 13 months and trying again at 12 months for MOC. But I suspect it's only a handful of weeks that are this tough and even then one is likely to be successful most of the time if you're online right at 12 months out.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
There have been a number of reports of people being shut out for their desired week even starting at 13 months and trying again at 12 months for MOC. But I suspect it's only a handful of weeks that are this tough and even then one is likely to be successful most of the time if you're online right at 12 months out.
I suppose it helps to be a bit anal and be reserving within a minute of the opportunity. I don't know, but wonder, how many that say they could not get what they wanted at 12 months (or 13) casually tried a few days after the window of opportunity opened.