• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John Master Thread - Part 3 [Dec. 2017 and forward]

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
How did you get this there? I have always tried each year to bring a few more things that are more expensive with us; Liquor and Beer is relatively reasonable on the Island; but wine is not.
I don't necessarily want to bring another bag; Travel Boxes aren't very environmentally friendly to leave behind. I looked at protectors and then boxing, leaving only box behind.

What do you do to travel? Well worth the checked bag cost on wine as most bottles are 3-4x local prices.

12-bottle styrofoam cardboard container - individually bagged.
37 pounds
$30
Delta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
12-bottle styrofoam cardboard container - individually bagged.
37 pounds
$30
Delta

Great - Thanks. My thought too. I was trying to think of a way I could get them there without the styrofoam as to not add to garbage down there. I don't mind leaving cardboard to be recycled behind, but would want to not leave a giant mold behind for garbage. But your method was my first thought. We fly American, get free bags with our card; so we often don't worry about paying checked bag fees. But also a small 1 way investment!

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Special visit by Baby Finn and Mama Jill at Salt Pond Beach with Papa Jason and the Island Roots Charter gang.
Another great trip circumventing STJ!

99ce4bad20cb3a42f12b2580a79f1816.jpg

farsighted99

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea (Maui)
I was just over at WSJ. We just went to see the property for future reference. It was very empty. It looks a little rundown to me and a dated 80s style, not having seen it pre-hurricane. I am sure the interiors are fabulous as Westin probably put more focus on the insides and just repaired the exterior. The landscaping is okay but could be better. More grooming is needed. The natural trees are pretty high already, which surprised me that they grow so fast. This is good and bad, since the views look like they will already be blocked, but nice to see all the foliage growing back. I am just giving my first impression of an outsider’s view who has never been to WSJ before. I did not like the layout of the resort. The villas are too far from the main pool and beach. The hillside section felt like a separate resort. Even the closest villas on the resort side are a bit of a walk to the pool and not beachfront. It feels like the layout of the villa sections on the resort side are too clustered together giving me a bit of a claustrophobic feeling. I would have liked to see more open space between villas within each section. The open space seems to be between the various phases and not within phases. I was also surprised at how run down the neighborhood and roads are from the ferry to WSJ.

I was on the Caneel Bay side pre-hurricane and I recall it being so different. Maybe because we only drove from the ferry area though the national park to get to Caneel Bay. We did not go over to the National park side yesterday since the mission was just to see WSJ. I would like to visit that side next to see if my memories are the same or not. I did see Caneel Bay from the Tortola ferry. Before I knew it was Caneel Bay, I told my husband that looks like some beautiful beaches better than any we had seen in the BVIs, then we realized it was Caneel Bay. The structures on Caneel Bay look intact from afar but I am sure there must be a lot of damage. However, I suspect whoever gets the next lease could have it open pretty quickly. My impression from reading about the problems at Caneel Bay is more about the current leaseholder not wanting to invest in recovery rather than the extent of damage. I really hope it re-opens. It was (and possibly still is) one of the most beautiful places in the Caribbean.

Really? Excuse me, but WSJ is an amazing resort. I thought it was amazing and wonderful. Loved our room. Maybe you have to walk a bit, but even so, the resort is beautifully landscaped. The beach is wonderful. You sure you went to the same place I did??? Loved the iguanas and birds all over the place. And you can always jump on a golf cart for a ride... BTW, I own at Nanea in Maui (which ain't too shabby), but I prefer this place....

Caneel Bay won't be back for a long time; years probably. The place got destroyed and the lease was almost up. So don't count on going there any time soon. When I was there in March they were talking about how they haven't been able to renegotiate the lease with the current owners... and they won't be fixing it up for zillions of dollars to only stay with the property for a handful of years. So yeah, it has great beaches but no one wants to build there. Good luck with that! I went there years ago when it was owned by Rock Resorts; yeah it was nice. Also, I'm sure if they do get it back up one day, I probably won't be able to afford it.

BTW, here's the latest on the Caneel Bay ordeal: https://stjohnsource.com/2019/06/06/cbia-seeks-to-terminate-lease-for-caneel-bay-resort/

Says $100M needed to rebuilt resort; current lease owner wants the National Parks to give him $70M to get out of the lease... doesn't sound like it will be resolved soon...

Last edited:

ccy

Reaction score
Has anybody brought beach chairs in their luggage to STJ? Thinking of doing so ...

schafercpa

Reaction score
Has anybody brought beach chairs in their luggage to STJ? Thinking of doing so ...
Absoulutely, all the time.
Two Tommy Bahama Costco chairs bound together with plastic ties. I have free 1st bags for all in my party with Delta Amex. ( you do not need to put tickets or use the delta card on airline. Just show up at airport with your group and fly together).
My chairs are well traveled making this trip many times and survive without damage. People stare at us when they come out on the carousel in luggage claim.
If serious beach bum, there is no other way.
Go for it...................

ccy

Reaction score
Two Tommy Bahama Costco chairs bound together with plastic ties. I have free 1st bags for all in my party with Delta Amex. ( you do not need to put tickets or use the delta card on airline. Just show up at airport with your group and fly together).
My chairs are well traveled making this trip many times and survive without damage. People stare at us when they come out on the carousel in luggage claim.

Thanks for the reply! I have free 1st bag with United. I'm thinking of sticking 2 TB chairs in a suitcase if it fits lol. My daughter and I will be beaching for 5 days and don't want to rent at $10/day. Might even bring a sunshade :)

ocdb8r

TUG Member
Reaction score

So, I'e been seriously thinking about designing some sort of "package" that allows me to combine 2 Tommy Bahama Costco chairs, a matching TB umbrella (or two) and my two spring float recliners into a single unit for checking on an airplane. It would go on every Timeshare/Cruise trip with me! Perhaps zip-ties is the answer....but I was originally thinking something that would be contained with a handle (easy to check and easy to lug around). Perhaps ziptie everything into a package and then get someone to sew a "cover" for the whole thing.

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
So, I'e been seriously thinking about designing some sort of "package" that allows me to combine 2 Tommy Bahama Costco chairs, a matching TB umbrella (or two) and my two spring float recliners into a single unit for checking on an airplane. It would go on every Timeshare/Cruise trip with me! Perhaps zip-ties is the answer....but I was originally thinking something that would be contained with a handle (easy to check and easy to lug around). Perhaps ziptie everything into a package and then get someone to sew a "cover" for the whole thing.

Our family bought 6 chairs one year when we were there as it was cheaper than renting. We have returned with the chairs 2 times now. We too have a free bag with AA and our travel has been done by laying them flat on a tarp. We then fold the tarp over, like wrapping a present, and tape. We tape our names to them, like a shipping label. This is a great way to then take them back with us easily. We also throw in some life jackets for the kids. The size meets the regular checked bag policies and is super easy and cheap. We throw in some tape to make the return trip home.

The hardware store on St John, where we bought the chairs gave us this idea. It has worked wonderfully.

We take the St John Westin shuttle and boat, so the way we look at all of our bags is once we check at the airport, we don't touch our bags until we return home. Makes these extra bags all worth while.

We also do a food suitcase for snacks we know our kids want. This year we plan on packing a wine box for a one way journey. We manage to pack our clothes in carry one, so we can use our checked bags for this very purpose.

ccy

Reaction score

I love the idea!!! I checked Amazon for tarp shipping bags and nope they don't have any

NNerland

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love the idea!!! I checked Amazon for tarp shipping bags and nope they don't have any

We don't use a tarp shipping bag - we use a basic 8x8 or something like that tarp. Then use it like wrapping paper. Very simple. It isn't a bag or anything; just a simple square tarp. Very cheap and easy to pack safely. Sorry if I implied a bag - it is just a plain tarp. And an idea we got from the Hardware store when trying to figure out how to get 6 chairs home.
Just be sure your final "package wrap" matches airline guidelines for luggage, so not to be oversized.

Wrapping them in a tarp allows you to protect them from damage when tossed around by airlines.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Saw this picture on Facebook posted by Jason. I was wondering if you were in it...:) We will be there in Aug and will contact him. Hope his business stays strong.

Special visit by Baby Finn and Mama Jill at Salt Pond Beach with Papa Jason and the Island Roots Charter gang.
Another great trip circumventing STJ!

99ce4bad20cb3a42f12b2580a79f1816.jpg

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
How did you manage to ship all these bottles from mainland? LOL.
Could you do me a favor by taking a look of #3428 to see if it's finished?

2 days left and we have 2 bottles of white remaining - perfect
The wine shipping details are above.

Looks like 3428 is occupied.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Saw this picture on Facebook posted by Jason. I was wondering if you were in it...:) We will be there in Aug and will contact him. Hope his business stays strong.

Yep - that was us. If you want Jason - you will need to check. He is also working for STJ Fire and Rescue. His new boat is nice - smoother and larger. The mangroves in Hurricane Hole are devastated.

His baby boy is adorable - big fat thighs. It was nice of Jill to carry Baby Finn down from their place at Kiddel Bay.
They just completed their house and have been essentially living in an Eco tent for months. I cannot imagine doing that w/o AC and with a baby.

Andy Cross

Reaction score
Is there a way to tell when booking a 3bdr if it is a pool villa or not, or are those impossible to book?

sachia007

TUG Member
Reaction score

My husband bought 2 beach chairs, and the cool thing about them is that they collapse like the camp chairs (they have shorter legs). He bought them on Amazon and also bought a beach tent and a zip bag (with wheels and a retractable handle) to put it all in. This Feb. was our first time traveling with it (in all the years we've been to STJ) and it was well worth the checked bag cost!!!!

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Is there a way to tell when booking a 3bdr if it is a pool villa or not, or are those impossible to book?

Probably hard to get. First reason being those are fixed week, fixed unit. The SO values for the weeks are slightly different for certain weeks. For example the amount required for weeks 16-18 are 196,900, not 257,000. Weeks that don't overlap the same seasons would be the only way I can see.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is possible, but just for a couple of weeks of the year when the seasons don't line up. You can tell because of the different amount of points the unit requires. Getting one is possible, but it is very hard. The easiest way to do it, IMO, is probably by getting one last minute. That, of course, is very risky and you may want to consider this as plan b while holding another reservation. I know it can be done because I did it before I got my two Pool Villas.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I left a TB chair at bottom of stairs below B34 (staircase next to pool).
If you meet Eric and Carol - in 2Bd TH in B33 closest to pool (1st floor) - they also have some.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What happened to the storage shack? We used to take and deposit beach chairs, floats and other supplies there.