• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Looking for Diamond Point at Poipu - Question

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club, Ka'anapali Beach Club (Diamond)
I have been keeping my eye out for an every other year Point at Poipu ocean front unit for a while now. I have seen a few listings with little to no information on view. One ad said the unit designation was float-float, stating it was the same as ocean front. Others have no view information but a unit number is on the deed. My question is, is float-float really the same as ocean front? How is float-float designated on the deed? On the unit numbers that I have been provided, when I checked the awesome map re-posted by T-R-Oglodyte, those turned out to be either ocean view or garden view, not ocean front -- but I don't know whether any of these may be considered float-float.

Thanks so much for your help!

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
I don't know how Diamond works, but Float usually refers to how you can use your week (Fixed vs Floating) the same way Marriott does and has nothing to do with the view. Since you own at MOC, you are aware of the different view types. I'm guessing Diamond if not much different.

We stay yearly in Poipu (Marriott Waiohai) and have friends that also stay there. They own a few weeks at the Point and have since purchased three weeks at Waiohai because they like it so much more. They still stay at the Point as part of their trip because they own the weeks, but they don't really enjoy it. Sounds crazy but they have at times booked a room at the Grand Hyatt while staying at the Point so they can use the Hyatt pool.

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Actually, the float-float is the time-frame (float) and the view (float). Odd, I know, and different from Marriott. That also differs from Diamond's Ka'anapali Beach Club, which has view categories such as deluxe ocean view, ocean view, garden view, etc.

I have never stayed at Waiohai as I haven't been able to trade in there with our Marriott Ocean Club, sadly. I did go for a brief look, but wasn't provided with much of a tour and the agent was rude. Too bad, as we bought at MOC shortly afterwards.

BTW we live just north of T.O.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
The unit number on the deed is irrelevant. When the units were sold, the Disclosure Document, filed with the deed, sets forth usage rights.

Unless a unit was specifically sold as a fixed unit or fixed time, the usage will be floating. If a floating unit was sold (originally) before June 8, 1998, it will be float-float. Units sold on or After June 8, 1998 have specific view categories. Type IIA is ocean front, IIB = ocean view, IIC = partial ocean view, IID = garden view.

Units sold before June 8, 1998 could be assigned any unit/week in the deed. Units sold on-or after June 8, 1998 were assigned to a unit that matched the view type in the deed. So in order to tell for sure you need to know when the developer sold the week originally.

And in any case, it would be good to verify the unit status with Diamond. I imagine that would be an item for the estoppel.

Reactions: RX8

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
That's super helpful information. From here on out I will check the date of the deed. I wonder why there was no view category prior to June 8, 1998.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Actually, the float-float is the time-frame (float) and the view (float). Odd, I know, and different from Marriott. That also differs from Diamond's Ka'anapali Beach Club, which has view categories such as deluxe ocean view, ocean view, garden view, etc.
When Poipu first went into sales there were only fixed weeks and floating weeks - no view categories. Then while sales were still occurring, the developer added view categories. But the weeks that had already been sold did not have any restrictions on view category. So weeks sold after that time were "floating" weeks, because the use date floated. The "float-float" then came to denote those original weeks, because they float both in time and in view category.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
I have never stayed at Waiohai as I haven't been able to trade in there with our Marriott Ocean Club, sadly. I did go for a brief look, but wasn't provided with much of a tour and the agent was rude. Too bad, as we bought at MOC shortly afterwards.

BTW we live just north of T.O.
I would think exchanging from MOC would not be too difficult. An unsuccessful trade might be because Waiohai only has full 2BR (no lockoffs). So maybe you were trying to exchange a studio or 1BR for Waiohai? On the other hand, Waiohai is a fraction of the size of MOC, and has a very high owner occupancy rate.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
There are currently 2 Deeded Poipu weeks for sale on TUG Market Place. One is a 2 bedroom float/float. There other is a 2 bedroom Deeded Ocean Front.

One is EOYO and one is EOYE.

Dollie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We too have a “float/float” ownership but it means floating week/floating unit. We purchased our 2 weeks in 2005 from Embassy. Our Unit Type is 2BED-B which is a two-bedroom ocean view. Our Reservation and Use Rights are

(1) A Unit in the Program of your Unit Type as indicated in subparagraph (a) above (in other words, on a “floating Unit” basis only);

(2) On a “Floating Time Rights” basis

Our Vacation Ownership Interest No. is 09-206-34,35B. This is broken down to building 09 unit 206; weeks 34 and 35; view B (ocean view). Since the weeks float and the unit floats, the specified unit and weeks in the Vacation Ownership Interest No. are place holders to keep the sellers from over-selling the units.

You need to do your research and question the owners and Diamond to find out exactly what is being sold.

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thank you! That's very helpful. I will be sure to ask that question when I purchase. Do you know what the other designations are for view type? If ocean view is type B, is the ocean front A?

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We too have a “float/float” ownership but it means floating week/floating unit. We purchased our 2 weeks in 2005 from Embassy. Our Unit Type is 2BED-B which is a two-bedroom ocean view. Our Reservation and Use Rights are

(1) A Unit in the Program of your Unit Type as indicated in subparagraph (a) above (in other words, on a “floating Unit” basis only);

(2) On a “Floating Time Rights” basis

Our Vacation Ownership Interest No. is 09-206-34,35B. This is broken down to building 09 unit 206; weeks 34 and 35; view B (ocean view). Since the weeks float and the unit floats, the specified unit and weeks in the Vacation Ownership Interest No. are place holders to keep the sellers from over-selling the units.

You need to do your research and question the owners and Diamond to find out exactly what is being sold.
What you describe is not what is traditionally described as "float-float".

In all cases I have been involved with at Poipu, "float-float" is used specifically to describe weeks that float in "view category" and that float in reservation week. In my 19 years of experience dealing with the resort (including discussions with reservations personnel and resort management, and sales staff who actually know resort operational details), what you describe above is typically called an "ocean view float". Which is consistent with your description of it as a 2-B unit, worth 11,500 points if converted to Club points. In contrast, a "float-float" unit is worth 10,000 points when converted to the Club (same as partial ocean view).

That being said, this is such an area of potential confusion that I always make the same admonition as you - researching the specifics of any week being sold is important. It's important with any resort, but even more so at a resort such as Poipu that has nuances regarding usage rights and deeded week vs. trust ownership. I figure that at least 70% of the owners at the resort don't really know what they own, so when they put something up for sale there is a very good chance it is not described correctly.

Of course, as a buyer that creates opportunities, because there's a good chance that the week might actually be more valuable than the owner believes it is.

cali-gal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So for people who have the true float-float view category, is it likely they can get ocean view or ocean front? What determines what view they get for their stay?

wilma

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Red Wolf Lakeside Lodge, Hanalei Bay Resort, Sweetbriar Lake tahoe, Marriott Canyon Villas, Hyatt High Sierra, Point at Poipu
So for people who have the true float-float view category, is it likely they can get ocean view or ocean front? What determines what view they get for their stay?

I have always received oceanfront (I own float-float) if I reserve 1 year in advance.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Every year except for one I have received ocean-front using my float-float week. The key is to reserve early as possible. Since we know exactly when we will be in Hawaii every year, we reserve no later than 12 months before check-in.

As to what determines the view category, that is determined based on what is available at the time one makes the reservation. The float-float unit can reserve any available, regardless of view category. So when you make your reservation, you will usually the best available view category. This actually makes the float-float unit useful on a short time frame. For example, if you own ocean view and you call to make a reservation but only partial ocean view is available, you probably won't be able to make a reservation. With that float-float unit you could get that partial ocean view unit.

The one time when we didn't get ocean front was when I swapped weeks with an owner at a different resort. By the time they decided what their travel plans would be, no ocean-front was available. Working with them on what was available, I got them a garden view unit that was one of the units on the ground floor of building 4. So while they couldn't see the ocean, there weren't any building between them and the ocean. They could walk out the lanai door about 25 feet, and have the full ocean experience. But that was at a time when any owner could reserve specific rooms.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thank you! That's very helpful. I will be sure to ask that question when I purchase. Do you know what the other designations are for view type? If ocean view is type B, is the ocean front A?
Per my note upthread: Type II = float/float; Type IIA = ocean front; Type IIB = ocean view; Type IIC = partial ocean view; Type IID = garden view.

I haven't checked specifically, but I imagine Type I = one bedroom. There are only one or two one-bedroom units. I believe they were all sold as fixed weeks (week and unit). Similarly, Type III, if it exists, is 3-bedroom. There are only two of those units, and one of them is totally owned by Diamond and used as a sales office. The other was sold as fixed weeks.