• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Convert from star options to flex?

Ez323

Reaction score
Has anyone converted from the star options to the new Marriott point system? We own svv-Bella from the developer (67,100 annual options), and a resale Svv Bella (67,100 even year options). Looking at switching to either 90,000 or 95,000 points. Good idea? Bad idea? Why? 81,000 options always seemed to be the magic # under options. Is there a magic# with the flex?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
DON'T DO IT:

1) Flex is not a Marriott product - the Marriott and Vistana timeshare systems are still completely separate. I have no doubt that the sales people told you this, but it's BS - Flex is a Vistana product, period. Marriott and Vistana have not merged, Marriott is merely Vistana's parent company.

2) With Flex, Vistana took a group of mostly low demand resorts and repackaged them as "flex" so they could pretend they had something new and sparkly to sell - but it's pure baloney.

3) If you convert to Flex options, you are trading in deeds with resale value, for something with no resale value. This is because Flex Options are voluntary and when you go to sell it some day, the Flex option deeds will have no Staroptions and no Starpoints, which kills the resale value.

4) If you want more Staroptions, buy another Mandatory deed on the resale market for a fraction of the cost, acquire something with far more value, and save yourself a ton of money. A mandatory deed is a timeshare that retains it's Staroptions even when you buy it resale.

What do Mandatory and Voluntary mean?

a. If a resort is Staroption "Mandatory," it means that when the week is sold to a new owner (resale) the Staroption value of the week transfers to the new owner, and the new owner has the right to exchange his timeshare in the Starwood Vacation Network. These resorts are Staroption Mandatory:

* Harborside at Atlantis
* Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West phases only)
* Westin St. John (Virgin Grand - Hillside only)
* Westin Ka'anapali & Westin Ka'anapali-North
* Westin Kierland Villas

b. If a resort is Staroption "Voluntary," it means that the Staroption value of the week DOES NOT transfer to the new owner when it is resold, and the new owner DOES NOT have the right to exchange his timeshare in the Starwood Vacation Network.​

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Has anyone converted from the star options to the new Marriott point system? We own svv-Bella from the developer (67,100 annual options), and a resale Svv Bella (67,100 even year options). Looking at switching to either 90,000 or 95,000 points. Good idea? Bad idea? Why? 81,000 options always seemed to be the magic # under options. Is there a magic# with the flex?

Yes. Zero.

If it can be acquired at no cost (as I believe will be possible in a couple of years as current owners want/need to sell), it may be useful. But not to buy.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If you already bought this, you should rescind immediately. Do it in writing and mail it using a verifiable method. Don't go back into the sales office where they will try to talk you out of it.

You only have a short time to rescind, so start working on it today. You previous ownership will automatically revert to you as it was before you purchased.

How to rescind a Vistana timeshare purchase

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You would be far better off to sell the two weeks you have, perhaps for a couple hundred bucks each and go out and buy an 81,000 StarOption mandatory SVV Bella or Key West Prime 2BR unit for a few thousand. Much cheaper than what they have to offer. You could even jump for a 2BR lockoff that will come with more StarOptions.

Sicnarf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd just like to point that although Flex has no SOs and limited availability at this time, it does offer the following benefits:
1. One year advance booking to 3 ski, 2 beach and spring training properties, with any day check in and any number of days including holidays.
2. Preferred II exchange with other VSE properties with favorable point value (67100 FOs) for a 2br in Hawaii during low season. Using SOs would get you a studio only.
Hence, Flex value should rise once more people realize this.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Which one is on the beach?

Never mind - Jensen Beach.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'd just like to point that although Flex has no SOs and limited availability at this time, it does offer the following benefits:
1. One year advance booking to 3 ski, 2 beach and spring training properties, with any day check in and any number of days including holidays.
2. Preferred II exchange with other VSE properties with favorable point value (67100 FOs) for a 2br in Hawaii during low season. Using SOs would get you a studio only.
Hence, Flex value should rise once more people realize this.
the only thing that can save the resale value of the Sheraton flex is much better availability than currently reported so that the 12 months home usage priority starts to mean something. For now it does not make sense to buy it since the MF are about 10% higher than SVV Bella platinum which you can get for 2k or less all in.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The TS is not on the ocean.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
the only thing that can save the resale value of the Sheraton flex is much better availability than currently reported so that the 12 months home usage priority starts to mean something. For now it does not make sense to buy it since the MF are about 10% higher than SVV Bella platinum which you can get for 2k or less all in.
I think SVV Bella is only about 10% less when you exclude the mandatory VSN fee. If you include that, I suspect that SVV is higher than Flex.

For 2019 we paid $1,189.06+$150=$1,334.06
For 81,000 SOs that works out to $16.47/1000 StarOptions.

You wouldn't have the VSN fee with a voluntary flex. Looking at some Redweek resale listings, it looks like the MF on flex is $15.47 per 1000 FlexOptions.

I am trying to find out if and what HK fees are charged on flex reservations. With weeks, you are limited based on the number of VOIs you own. If Flex offered no HK charges on any amount of reservations, it would make it more attractive, especially for shorter stays.

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think SVV Bella is only about 10% less when you exclude the mandatory VSN fee. If you include that, I suspect that SVV is higher than Flex.

You wouldn't have the VSN fee with a voluntary flex. Looking at some Redweek resale listings, it looks like the MF on flex is $15.47 per 1000 FlexOptions.

I am trying to find out if and what HK fees are charged on flex reservations. With weeks, you are limited based on the number of VOIs you own. If Flex offered no HK charges on any amount of reservations, it would make it more attractive, especially for shorter stays.

Are Key West MFs the same as Bella?

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score

that is true, i did not think about the VSN fee. At the same time, if you add more than one SVV Bella, the price per SO drops and we should keep that in mind as well.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
Are Key West MFs the same as Bella?
I don't think they are the same, but we don't own the same unit type at each section to verify. If they are different, I suspect it isn't by much.