• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Roku or iTunes at Royal Haciendas?

MissDaisy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Sands, Lawrence Welk
Will a Roku stick or iTunes pod work w/the TV's at the Royal Haciendas? I guess it's 2 questions: 1: Is there an HDMI input available
2. Is the internet speedy enough to stream?

Leaving tomorrow! TIA,

taffy19

Reaction score
Will a Roku stick or iTunes pod work w/the TV's at the Royal Haciendas? I guess it's 2 questions: 1: Is there an HDMI input available
2. Is the internet speedy enough to stream?

Leaving tomorrow! TIA,
Nobody has replied to you and I don’t know the answer either.

Why don’t you call the resort before you leave? Most resorts speak good English and should give you the accurate information.

Enjoy your trip. :)

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Another possible issue: even if you can connect and the wifi is fast enough, some content may be blocked due to region blocks. The last time we were in Mexico, I would say most of the content from Amazon Prime was blocked because we were not connecting from within the US. We found some things to watch, but not much. This was a few years ago, so I guess things might have changed, but just beware.

Kurt

MissDaisy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal Sands, Lawrence Welk
As it turns out, you CAN use an Apple TV. But, it takes a while to set up. YOu have to call the IT support people who will authorize the connection once you get them the MAC address and IP address of your unit. It took about 30 minutes but worked beautifully once it was done!

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Another possible issue: even if you can connect and the wifi is fast enough, some content may be blocked due to region blocks. The last time we were in Mexico, I would say most of the content from Amazon Prime was blocked because we were not connecting from within the US. We found some things to watch, but not much. This was a few years ago, so I guess things might have changed, but just beware.

Kurt

We always pay for a month of VPN on IPVanish - it costs $10 for the month and you can used it on multiple devices. We set it to automatically connect to a Phoenix IP address and we can watch anything that we do at home. In November, I watch the KY basketball games. :)

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We always pay for a month of VPN on IPVanish - it costs $10 for the month and you can used it on multiple devices. We set it to automatically connect to a Phoenix IP address and we can watch anything that we do at home. In November, I watch the KY basketball games. :)
Question: how do you use a VPN with a Roku or similar device? When I connect my Roku to a wifi at a resort/hotel, it just asks for the wifi name and password. Where does the VPN configuration come into play? I haven't used a VPN like that before, so I am definitely ignorant in this area. Thanks!

Kurt

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Question: how do you use a VPN with a Roku or similar device? When I connect my Roku to a wifi at a resort/hotel, it just asks for the wifi name and password. Where does the VPN configuration come into play? I haven't used a VPN like that before, so I am definitely ignorant in this area. Thanks!

Kurt

We just connect our laptops and use a HDMI cable to run Roku or SlingTV, or ESPN360 from the laptop. Once we login to the resort network, we sign in to the VPN before opening Roku, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Sling, etc. I keep 2 HDMI cables in my carry-on bag. :)

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We just connect our laptops and use a HDMI cable to run Roku or SlingTV, or ESPN360 from the laptop. Once we login to the resort network, we sign in to the VPN before opening Roku, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Sling, etc. I keep 2 HDMI cables in my carry-on bag. :)
Ah, that makes sense using the laptop. I didn't think there was a way to do it just in the Roku unit. Not sure it would be worth it to me to lug a laptop around internationally just so I could some more content, but that is just me (I normally don't travel for vacation with a laptop -- too much like work to me...).

Kurt

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Ah, that makes sense using the laptop. I didn't think there was a way to do it just in the Roku unit. Not sure it would be worth it to me to lug a laptop around internationally just so I could some more content, but that is just me (I normally don't travel for vacation with a laptop -- too much like work to me...).

Kurt

Yes, we took a Fire stick & a Roku stick with us a couple of years ago and they did not work well. When we are gone 3-4 weeks at a time, we like to have a computer with us. The ultrabook, phones, tablets, & Kindles do not take up too much space in a carry-on roller bag.

Last year I bought a 13" laptop that is lightweight to use for vacations. It was a splurge, but we were taking quite a few vacations last year to celebrate our 50th anniversary. We were gone a total of 10 weeks on 3 vacations. We were able to keep in touch via email and check all of our normal websites easily. I find myself using it a lot at home now too. I like it on the end table better than my iPad for anything that I might need to type an answer to - like TUG. :) I prefer a real keyboard to the pop-up ones.