• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Grand Chateau lock off or not?

brentw52

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m thinking about buying a 2 bed at Grand Chateau and wonder if there are any experts out there who can tell me if this is a lock off unit or not. Estoppel says
Inventory #VG*2902*23*B. Says 2 bed 2 bath but nothing else. I tried to phone Marriott but gave up after 20 minutes on hold.
Thanks,
Brent

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
All the 2 bedrooms are lock off, unless it’s the master unit of a 3 bedroom unit, and those were not sold separately

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi, I’m thinking about buying a 2 bed at Grand Chateau and wonder if there are any experts out there who can tell me if this is a lock off unit or not. Estoppel says
Inventory #VG*2902*23*B. Says 2 bed 2 bath but nothing else. I tried to phone Marriott but gave up after 20 minutes on hold.
Thanks,
Brent
And in reality it doesn't matter as long as the resort has both you don't have to own one or the other to reserve it. The exception is when you own a 3 BR and want to reserve a 2 BR portion when you lock it off.

brentw52

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, so no problem locking off and trading each side separately?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have regularly locked off and traded our Grand Chateau Master and Guest units separately to other MVC resorts for over 10 years now.

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Before we were in the DC, we got good trades. But we’ve been converting our ownership to points in recent years

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Trading is through II and it is what it is. Just be aware you will have extra fees locking off and trading as 2 sides including a lockoff fee and unit upgrade fee if you trade for larger units (outside the 60 day window). You'll have a lower trade power so getting top trades will be tough but often workable. Don't count on trading the studio for a 2 BR on Maui or HHI mid summer for example but many options are workable. Just understand the system and limitations and plan accordingly.

Before we were in the DC, we got good trades. But we’ve been converting our ownership to points in recent years
We do all. We have units to use only (rent when not using them), units for points and units for exchanging. We use them in conjunction for each other. For example last summer we went to HI. I own a week at Ko Olina (EOY) so I booked that unit and booked everything else we needed for points for 3 weeks (2 people on Maui, 15 for Oahu & Kauai). Then I put in exchange requests. As I got exchange matches, I started adjusting and canceling points reservations including taking points on the week we own at Ko Olina once I had sufficient volume. In the end I had everything on exchange except 1 of the 3 2BR for Kauai. We have 10 2BR for Grande Ocean this summer (56 people) with 7 owned and 3 on points for this year and next year 9 owned, looking to book 1 or 2 more on points.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also changed to electing our Grand Chateau week for points last time.
We decided to do this not because of lack of success with Interval and knowing that we would lose our 2 for 1 lock off benefit.
We just wanted guaranteed early confirmation of booking this time and as a small benefit we also saved on the unit size upgrade fee.

brentw52

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I understand the limitations of Interval but have found that by locking off units we still get amazing value even with the fees. Just have never owned Marriott so that will be new but we are retired so very flexible with dates.
Brent