• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Road trip through Idaho and Montana

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are leaving in a few weeks on a road trip. First stop will be a week in Park City and then onto Boise, Kalispell, and back down through Idaho to Las Vegas and on home (Orange County, CA).

Looking for any suggestions on must-sees.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Obviously Yellowstone deserves 'Must See' status- as well as Grand Teton N.P.- Glacier Park isn't too far from Kalispell. It's not easy going, and far from direct to get from Boise to Kalispell. You'll see McCall, ID, and follow the Salmon river for a while if you go up the West side. Some of what you see will depend on the route you have planned- and one is not necessarily better than another- just different. There is this giant (state sized) area we call the 'Primative Area' in the middle of Idaho and you have to either go around the East side, or the West. Both sides are fairly sparsely populated and remote- towns and gas can be few and up to a hundred miles or more in between. Do not expect widespread cell coverage except on major roads. Around the East side, there's Craters of The Moon, Arco and a tour of the first nuclear reactor at Idaho Nat'l Laboratories where many naval Nuclear Reactors are built. As well as the two parks I mentioned at the top.

Keep me posted when you are around Twin Falls, there are a couple of pretty decent restaurants on the Snake River canyon (the 486 foot deep canyon Evel Knievel attempted to jump, and 'daredevils' BASE jump off the bridge every day (the highest legal- and open- bridge in the world where this is allowed). We've been known to meet up with TUGgers if we are around.

You're going to be seeing a LOT of country. Travel safely and enjoy it.

Jim

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you, Jim! Right now the plan is to go up the west side to Kalispell and then down the east side, probably stopping in Twin Falls. We would love to meet up if you are around when we stop there.

We've been to Yellowstone and Grand Teton, so we will skip those this time. We have not been to Glacier Park so plan on spending a day there for sure.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Zion, Bryce, Capitol Reef, etc.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
On the way to Glacier, south of Kalispell, you might give a few hours to drive through the National Bison Range, near St. Ignatius. The Bison Range will give you a better up-close experience with the bison than you probably had at Yellowstone. Watching Pronghorn playing in the fields was a very cool thing, too. They have a great Visitor's Center, and clean restrooms. ;)

Dave

Bison Range.png

Last edited:

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
We have not been to Glacier Park so plan on spending a day there for sure.

A day in Glacier will likely just leave you wishing for more. We just spent a week in the area, and are planning to go back later this summer. Saw bears, moose, and big-horned sheep.

The crown jewel at Glacier is the "Going To The Sun" road - which goes from one side of the park to the other - which right now they hope to have plowed for passenger thru traffic by June 22. If it is open, then it is easier to get to the two other sections of the park on the east side (Two Medicine and Many Glaciers) that people tend to skip - but are glacier valleys and offer amazing views.

I would also second Dave's suggestion about the National Bison preserve.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Between Twin Falls and Las Vegas is Ely NV. Other than that it is kind of a boring drive between, imo.

Bill

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
Between Twin Falls and Las Vegas is Ely NV. Other than that it is kind of a boring drive between, imo.

Bill

I noticed that. I guess the main thing is to gas up in Twin Falls or somewhere before going south into Nevada.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I noticed that. I guess the main thing is to gas up in Twin Falls or somewhere before going south into Nevada.
It's 430 miles to L.V. from Twin. We usually fuel & eat in Ely- about halfway between he two. Our current car doesn't have the range to go straight through. We make the trip somewhat regularly.

I'm fond of saying there isn't much along that road, but there's a helluva lot of it!

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's 430 miles to L.V. from Twin. We usually fuel & eat in Ely- about halfway between he two. Our current car doesn't have the range to go straight through. We make the trip somewhat regularly.

I'm fond of saying there isn't much along that road, but there's a helluva lot of it!

Good to know.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
:D

Hey Jim . I wonder what you do when you run out of range. Does your car have a back up power source like pedals, lol.:D:D:D

Bill

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
:D

Hey Jim . I wonder what you do when you run out of range. Does your car have a back up power source like pedals, lol.:D:D:D

Bill
They've thoughtfully put gas stations every few dozen miles. It would be pretty slow going if you had to charge an electric car on that route,

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They've thoughtfully put gas stations every few dozen miles. It would be pretty slow going if you had to charge an electric car on that route,

ah ha, you have a hybrid. I thought you went ev.

Bill

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
ah ha, you have a hybrid. I thought you went ev.
Yeah. It's a plug-in. Normal day-to-day it's an EV, but it's a hybrid for travel. Distances are just too far (for now) for an EV- until more infrastructure gets built out- and/or battery & charger technology lengthens range and shortens charge time.

Last edited:

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
There are a lot of July 4th activities in Boise if you're nearby at that time.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have a week in Park City, Utah till July 6th. We thought about leaving a day early but I don't know about two days earlier.
I'm sure they'll have great July 4th celebrations at P.C. and/or SLC. You can bet on it being HOT!

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
We also loved our trip north to Waterton Lakes National Park in Canada. It’s an extension of Glacier National Park and it’s absolutely gorgeous with more wild-lives all around in Aug when we went. We did it as a day trip from a timeshare stay in Montana. Be sure to bring your passport to cross the border.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
We also loved our trip north to Waterton Lakes National Park in Canada. It’s an extension of Glacier National Park and it’s absolutely gorgeous with more wild-lives all around in Aug when we went. We did it as a day trip from a timeshare stay in Montana. Be sure to bring your passport to cross the border.

We did that too. We were so spellbound by its beauty that we asked if there were any rooms for the night at the national park Prince of Wales hotel and there were. Two on the lake. It was glorious watching bald eagles soaring over the lake outside our room.

jules54

TUG Member
Reaction score
Such beautiful country. In 2017 we rode our Harley from Nebraska out to Montana, Idaho,Oregon Washington. We were on highway 20 I think. The scenery looked exactly like the scenery in the Twilight movies. Yep I love me some Vampires. We spent a few days in Glacier before the fires. So gorgeous. We rode Down the coast from Washington to California such a breathtaking ride. I drove hubs crazy cause I kept wanting to stop everywhere and have clam chowder. We started back home going east in California went to Lake Tahoe and road through Utah.
Great trip would do it again. Repeating some of it next month as we are bound for Alaska on the motorcycle.

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
I might have to see about adding Waterton Lakes National Park. As for Highway 20, that might have to be for a future road trip.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo

Recently we filled up at the Costco in South Reno. 490 miles later we pulled into the Costco in Salem Oregon for gas. We still had 3 gallons. I drive a 2014 Silverado Crewcab with a large V8.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Recently we filled up at the Costco in South Reno. 490 miles later we pulled into the Costco in Salem Oregon for gas. We still had 3 gallons. I drive a 2014 Silverado Crewcab with a large V8.
And how much did that fill-up in Salem cost?