• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Jeopardy! (The James Holzhauer Show)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
'Only' $58,000 today. All in a (22 minute) day's work.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
'Only' $58,000 today. All in a (22 minute) day's work.
Not really a days work -- since they film multiple episodes each day.

I liked James' comment to Alex that he had not previously considered Jeopardy a possible profession.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
My, how jaded we've become. A month ago, a contestant who earned what James did today (ho-hum) would have beaten the all-time Jeopardy! record.

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
I haven't been watching, just following some of the reports about this on the 'net. But during each show when each contestant is briefly interviewed after the first commercial break (midway through the first round), how often when JH is interviewed does the subject of Ken Jennings come up? Just curious.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
SPOILER ALERT!!!!

it ends tonight. Leaked by an affiliate station, James Holzhauer's streak has ended just shy of Ken Jennings record total.

I know what I will be doing at 4:30 this afternoon.

Jim

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
In the episode airing on Monday, Holzhauer’s “Jeopardy!” reign is coming to an end with his 33rd game, a tantalizing $58,484 shy of Jennings’s mark. The number of the day turned out to be $22,002, the amount that separated him from the winner, a librarian from Chicago named Emma Boettcher. :banana::clap::cheer::whooopie:

The surprising end caused even the famously dispassionate host to practically lose his composure.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
OK, here's my NSH Opinion. James is too smart to have made that mistake accidentally. It was totally unlike any play he has bade to date. I think he 'threw' the game on purpose because he knows his skill is unassailable, and doesn't want to be forever branded as the 'Giant Killer who defeated ken Jennings, for whom he has some affinity. He can go back to his 'regular' life- if being a professional gambler can be called 'regular.

That's my opinion and I'm sticking with it.

Jim

Brett

Reaction score
OK, here's my NSH Opinion. James is too smart to have made that mistake accidentally. It was totally unlike any play he has bade to date. I think he 'threw' the game on purpose because he knows his skill is unassailable, and doesn't want to be forever branded as the 'Giant Killer who defeated ken Jennings, for whom he has some affinity. He can go back to his 'regular' life- if being a professional gambler can be called 'regular.

Jim

yes, as a professional gambler he obviously made a HUGE bet with the Las Vegas oddsmakers

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Jim

He also made it clear he wanted to work with a pro sports team. I wonder if he got an offer he couldn't refuse? I have the show set to record tonight, because I know I'll want to see and enjoy the spectacle.

Dave

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score

Jim
James didn’t make a mistake
He hit the daily double on first question, the winner got the other two. She bet her entire amount the first time and enough to put it out of reach the second time. Only one question was missed the entire show. James knew his only chance was for her to miss on final jeopardy so he bet enough to get ahead of the third player and just enough so if she missed he would be ahead of her.

Karen G

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Once owned these: FirstFairway@Walden X 2; Lawai Beach; ManhattanClub; PuebloBonitoRose; 4 South Africa--now timeshare-free
Bummer! I purposely didn't open the new posts on this thread until the show was over because I didn't want to know the outcome of tonight's show. I'm sad that his run is over.

Last edited:

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt

Jim

James didn’t make a mistake
He hit the daily double on first question, the winner got the other two. She bet her entire amount the first time and enough to put it out of reach the second time. Only one question was missed the entire show. James knew his only chance was for her to miss on final jeopardy so he bet enough to get ahead of the third player and just enough so if she missed he would be ahead of her.

I don't think James threw the game on purpose. He seemed to be quite intent on his answers and selecting categories in the 2nd dbl jeopardy round. He kept coming back answering questions, but couldn't quite catch up to Emma the librarian. I think if anything the 3rd contestant was the spoiler for him, beating him to buzzer on several questions.

Even if James did want to finish his Jeopardy run, we'll never know if he tried to end it by be slower on his buzzing. As a pro gambler, he knows that after a long run, the odds do catch up, so that 1 in 'x' chance does actually occur. So although he most times found those Double Jeopardys, this game his opponent got 2 of them and he got the 1st one when he didn't have anything to wager, so couldn't double his money as Emma did on her Double Jeopardy chance.

Anyway James was a great sport loser :thumbup: on this show, & goes out an extremely memorable Jeopardy name for many years. He'll hopefully be back for their Tournament of Champions. Maybe even compete against Ken Jennings some day.
If he doesn't get some publicity and name recognition for a sports team job, I don't know what else could help him in that regard :shrug:

LannyPC

TUG Member
Reaction score
...the winner, a librarian from Chicago named Emma Boettcher.

So the question now is What will become of Emma Boettcher? Will she go on a huge streak?

I ask this because does anyone remember Nancy Zerg? Yes, that's right. She's the one who ended Ken Jennings' 74-game winning streak and, IIRC, did not win another game after that.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
James' timing and "luck" ran out. He played it correctly in terms of his bet on Final Jeopardy . . . and the librarian was simply too much for him last night.