• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Am I missing any other limitations of buying mandatory on the secondary market?

UKmama19

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am an owner already. Our son has used ours for travel a couple of times and is ready to purchase. He knows to purchase mandatory on the secondary market but has asked a couple of questions I am unable to answer.

What limitations are there other than converting SO to star points (which is never a good option in my opinion)?

Also, some ads use the language "Vistana Signature Points." Is this just new language for star options?

This forum is the best!

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I don't think the purchase (unless it is re-qualified) counts toward the elite levels. That's the only other thing I can think of.

Bonus...It's fun telling the sales staff what you paid for your resale purchase. :whooopie:

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I am an owner already. Our son has used ours for travel a couple of times and is ready to purchase. He knows to purchase mandatory on the secondary market but has asked a couple of questions I am unable to answer.

What limitations are there other than converting SO to star points (which is never a good option in my opinion)?

Also, some ads use the language "Vistana Signature Points." Is this just new language for star options?

This forum is the best!

That is it - and rarely good usage (relatively).
Also - doesn’t count towards elite status unless requaled - which doesn’t really matter unless desire is to get to 5*.
The requal would help to achieve higher elite status, but...

Buy enough resale SOs for needed usage. Usually best to buy Platinum season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
what properties is your son looking at? If he buys just to use the Staroptions, the best are 2 bedroom at Sheraton Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West phases ONLY) and Westin Kierland, both platinum. If he does not intend to rent out the week, a 2 bedroom SVV is better in my opinion because of the low upfront cost. If the initial cost is not an issue or if he may rent out the week sometimes, Kierland is better because of the lower maintenance fees per StarOption.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Also... some here (incl myself) recommend to buy where you want to go.

SteelerGal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, HPP, Bay Club
You have to use II for trading.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
No - if you buy mandatory/resale you have Staroptions.

Markus

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WLR, WKV, WDW
Some have also reported that WSJ platinum plus season is also great value. I have done this, a 3 bedroom worth 257,700 StarOptions, costs $2,900 in maintenance fees.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Some have also reported that WSJ platinum plus season is also great value. I have done this, a 3 bedroom worth 257,700 StarOptions, costs $2,900 in maintenance fees.

Wouldn’t that property also have a higher risk of special assessments as compared to the others with good SO:MF?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Wouldn’t that property also have a higher risk of special assessments as compared to the others with good SO:MF?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not sure. The hurricane did not cause a special assessment.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Not sure. The hurricane did not cause a special assessment.

VGV had hurricane insurance for the deductible.
Don’t forget about property taxes paid separately by VGV Owners.
Also, the $25/day ‘environment’ fee for WSJ.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
VGV had hurricane insurance for the deductible.
Don’t forget about property taxes paid separately by VGV Owners.
Also, the $25/day ‘environment’ fee for WSJ.

Yes, very aware there are other issues at WSJ. I was just replying to @Ken555 and his concern about a special assessment.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I was noting that there is more than just MFs when comparing to SOs. Not an unsubstantial amount - adds a couple of hundred $

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
Make sure it’s Star options and not Westin or Sheraton flex points.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Flexoptions are voluntary, so if the OP sticks with mandatory resorts, they will only get Staroptions.
He knows to purchase mandatory on the secondary market

The mandatory resorts are still the same, and I will be surprised if that changes:

* Harborside at Atlantis
* Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West phases only)
* Westin St. John (Virgin Grand - Hillside only)
* Westin Ka'anapali & Westin Ka'anapali-North
* Westin Kierland Villas

UKmama19

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback. Can anyone address - some ads use the language "Vistana Signature Points." Is this just new language for star options?

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
NO , no do not buy signature points. You want mandatory resorts that come with star options as Denise stated above.
Sheraton Vistana villages will the be the lowest purchase price and Westin Kierland will have the lowest MF. Buy the other 3 if you want to visit them most of the time and require certain weeks or room categories.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
Go with SVV key west or Bella. Start off with a 2 bedroom lockout platinum season in Key west. You can pick one up for under 1000. WKV is a Better value star options to maint fees but the buy in is around 12K.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Go with SVV key west or Bella. Start off with a 2 bedroom lockout platinum season in Key west. You can pick one up for under 1000. WKV is a Better value star options to maint fees but the buy in is around 12K.
YOu really have to be patient and watch all the sites deliberately to get a Prime/Platinum in any unit size (except the 1BR) for $1000. 2BR Units seem to be selling north of $1,500. An annual 81K 2BR-LO High (Gold Plus) week sold on eBay recently for $1500. It did however come with free usage, so perhaps could be considered free. An EOY Prime 81K 2BR week sold for $628. That would be $1,250 annualized. Another 81K 2BR Prime sold for $1,500 and required the buyer to repay 2019 MFs for 2019 use.

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
YOu really have to be patient and watch all the sites deliberately to get a Prime/Platinum in any unit size (except the 1BR) for $1000. 2BR Units seem to be selling north of $1,500. An annual 81K 2BR-LO High (Gold Plus) week sold on eBay recently for $1500. It did however come with free usage, so perhaps could be considered free. An EOY Prime 81K 2BR week sold for $628. That would be $1,250 annualized. Another 81K 2BR Prime sold for $1,500 and required the buyer to repay 2019 MFs for 2019 use.
I agree you have to be vigilant in your search. I saw the 1,500 2 bedroom with payment of 2019 maint fees. Two years ago I picked up a prime lockout for 1000 and last week (still waiting on contract) prime lockout EOYE for 500. While eBay is great for low prices, it lacks the ability to negotiate sometimes. It seems we are all around the same price.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

I agree that it is much better to purchase a prime/platinum week rather than low season at SVV; the MF/SO ratio is superior and that benefit goes on forever.

But I wouldn't obsess so much about the purchase price. Paying an extra $500 means that over ten years, each usage week cost $50 more -- not so much. Especially if paying a bit extra permits one to close earlier in the year enabling more usage possibilities the first year.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I agree you have to be vigilant in your search. I saw the 1,500 2 bedroom with payment of 2019 maint fees. Two years ago I picked up a prime lockout for 1000 and last week (still waiting on contract) prime lockout EOYE for 500. While eBay is great for low prices, it lacks the ability to negotiate sometimes. It seems we are all around the same price.
I also think that the lack of ROFR can cause prices to vary greatly. With ROFR in the middle, you would have an arbitrator of sorts that would be setting a minimum price to some degree. It is possible to get individual one off transactions that are artificially low. Heck, I picked up a 2BR Prime 81K last year for less than $25. So deals are out there and in a place where there may not be a lot of eyes, snagging a good deal can happen, but I wouldn't say it is the norm.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I agree that it is much better to purchase a prime/platinum week rather than low season at SVV; the MF/SO ratio is superior and that benefit goes on forever.

But I wouldn't obsess so much about the purchase price. Paying an extra $500 means that over ten years, each usage week cost $50 more -- not so much. Especially if paying a bit extra permits one to close earlier in the year enabling more usage possibilities the first year.
I would agree. It seems that the market is showing this also, I am seeing far fewer Prime season SVV weeks on the market and the few I do see get snapped up pretty quickly and for higher prices than where they were just a year ago.