• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Has Anyone done the math?

tahoeJoe

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hyatt is both a weeks and a points program. As such if a weeks owner trades through Interval they use their associated Hyatt points to secure a studio, one bedroom, etc. The larger units require more points. However, in a pure weeks based ownership (Marriott, Vistana, etc) if one trades their week in a studio to one bedroom or a studio to 2 bedroom they pay a fee of $99 to $199 respectively.

Has any TUGGER done the math to compare how these II unit size upgrade fees compare to the value of the additional points required to book the larger unit?

PerryKing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYATT: Beaver Creek, Breckenridge, Bonita Springs, and 2X Dorado Puerto Rico.
-##-
MEXICO: Crown Paradise, Royal Holiday Club, Vidanta Mayan Palace, and Vidanta "Kingdom of the Sun-Nuevo Vallarta at Vidanta World.
This will be a hard question to answer, even if I, you or everyone else understands what your question is. Because your question may not be what you think it means to you when your talking Hyatt points. Because they are not the same thing as Marriott points are or might be. since Hyatt is a completely different system than you may realize.

Hyatt is basically a week system , but the weeks that one owns also has a points a value assigned to it for trading with in the Hyatt system, at no additional cost other than the reservation fee. Or if you can't or don't want to use your unit , then you can transfer your points to the External Exchange Program and use those point for exchanging within the II system, based on a table that is in the II system. And when that trade is made there is the standard II exchange fee due regardless of the size of the property exchanged for. (Even though Hyatt is now owned by II, which itself is owned now by Marriott. )

Also Hyatt is now selling a "Portfolio Points Program" to new buyers, not to be confused with the points value one receives with their deeded property.
, completely different thing there. (More like a true points system, with no deeds, but ownership in the Trust that holds the deeds of ownership)

There is also a chance to convert the regular Hyatt points obtained in leu of using your deeded week, into the Hyatt Hotel program for stays at Hyatt Hotels resorts. (My testing shows to me that you loos about 2/7 of their value by doing that . i.e. give up a week (7 Nights) at a Hyatt Residence Club and turn around and try to rent back with Hyatt hotel points exactly what you gave up and you can only get back 5 nights. That's in a club to club comparison, it would be harder to figure out how much value you loose if you exchanged into a Hyatt hotel resort. You would have to look at the Rate you would bay otherwise at that hotel compared to what value you might place on the Hyatt Club points that you gave up . Such as the cost of each point to you each year based on the cost of the yearly maintenance fee.

Sorry I do not have time to try to answer or ask for clarification of you question because I'm leaving for a 40 day trip to Europe ( including a 33 day Cruise of the Baltics) two days from now, and I should have been working on all that I need to do to get ready for that instead of trying to help you. But its my pleasure to try anyway. . So maybe someone else can help you by zeroing in on your question. And since you may not or appear to not be a member of the Hyatt system, and understand the system, then that's going to be a hard task for anyone to relate to your question. Regards . Perry

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
Hyatt is both a weeks and a points program. As such if a weeks owner trades through Interval they use their associated Hyatt points to secure a studio, one bedroom, etc. The larger units require more points. However, in a pure weeks based ownership (Marriott, Vistana, etc) if one trades their week in a studio to one bedroom or a studio to 2 bedroom they pay a fee of $99 to $199 respectively.

Has any TUGGER done the math to compare how these II unit size upgrade fees compare to the value of the additional points required to book the larger unit?
There are so many varieties. My husband being a left brainer is always estimating the price per night of our timeshare stays. It depends on your Maintenance fees as well as between programs so there is no easy answer. For us owning at Pinon Pointe using Hyatt in interval is a better exchange. If we were exchanging a Hawaii week(which unfortunately we do not own) with fees of 2700 or so but the same number of points assigned it becomes a different issue. Because our Westin week has higher Maintenance fees it's a no brainer to use Hyatt in interval .I am assuming the Marriott system is similar in value exchanging to Westin.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Maintenance fees per each Hyatt point depend on resort, season, and unit size owned. The cheapest would be a Diamond season annual 2br at Hyatt Piñon Pointe, about $1,120 per 2,200 points. So here is the math of how this would translate into various unit sizes for a high season II exchange. Hyatt points required / cheapest mf cost:

Studio: 430 / $219
1 Bedroom: 870 / $443
2 Bedroom: 1,300 / $662
3 Bedroom: 1,730 / $881
4 Bedroom: 2,160 / $1,100

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
I consider numbers similarly to @echino but I also factor in acquisition costs amortized over 15 years, which I guess will be about the useful lifespan of my units.

For me, my value for my points range from $1.10/pt to $1.24/pt.

So to me it’s easy math: Studio to 2BR is 430/$537.50 plus $200, or $737.50
To just book a 2BR is 1300 pt/$1950

So way cheaper to book the studio and upgrade, if that’s an option.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
Maintenance fees per each Hyatt point depend on resort, season, and unit size owned. The cheapest would be a Diamond season annual 2br at Hyatt Piñon Pointe, about $1,120 per 2,200 points. So here is the math of how this would translate into various unit sizes for a high season II exchange. Hyatt points required / cheapest mf cost:

Studio: 430 / $219
1 Bedroom: 870 / $443
2 Bedroom: 1,300 / $662
3 Bedroom: 1,730 / $881
4 Bedroom: 2,160 / $1,100

The point amounts as echino listed for an II exchange, is generally what's required for an HRC internal exchange for Bronze season (Highlands Inn excepted). So the II "value" is getting a higher demand non-Hyatt unit, i.e. platinum, for a bronze price....IF you can find one you want.

The $99 upgrade fee for weeks units don't really translate. It seems like a better deal for say a studio to a bedroom upgrade, compared to the doubling of points 430 to 870. But the Hyatt points are a much better deal as studio maintenance fees on a week's unit is around $400-600, whereas the MF for those II Hyatt points are only about 2/3s as much.