• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Parents bought Nanea and have no idea how to use it

RileyMonster

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea
Hi,

My parents bought in Nanea 3 years ago and have never used it. My dad is too embarrassed to ask anyone, so I am trying to figure out what they bought and how to use it. I have all the paperwork but I am struggling to make heads or tails of it. Any chance someone can point me in the right direction?

Thanks so much

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You should ask the moderator to move this post to the Vistana forum. You'll get all the help you need there!

Your dad shouldn't be embarrassed. He has LOTS of company with other owners who bought timeshares and can't figure out how to work their systems. Timeshare sales staff always makes owning sound so easy, but it isn't.

And voila! Welcome to the Vistana Forum!

Last edited:

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
Planing ahead is the key to making good use of time shares for most people. Traveling last minute works for some retired people. If you can’t use it then rent it to cover the annual fees.

Read the stickies in the Vistana forum

Figure out what his login is and start playing around with the website.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
The three basic things to look for in the paperwork are: (1) how many "HomeOptions" did they purchase, (2) did they buy every year or every other year, and (3) which view: Oceanfront or Resort View.

Read the sticky in the Vistana forum: https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index...inding-4-flex-options-5-villa-descrip.205516/ (Your parents' "HomeOptions" at Nanea are very similar to the Sheraton Flex program described, except the "HomeOptions" are specific to the Nanea property -- i.e. there is not a group of home resorts; there is only Nanea. This is a good thing as you compete only with other Nanea owners for for reservations.)

It's complicated, but Nanea is a good property and you can get many good vacations out of it once you understand it.

Last edited:

RileyMonster

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea
Thank you all so much. I see VOI type is Annual and Number of Points if 95,700 with Resort view. Are those the 95,700 the home options you mention? I thought it said somewhere they have a 1 bedroom but I thought I read that a 1 bedroom is 81 K points and a 2 bedroom is 148 K points. I will read the sticky :) Thanks!!

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Thank you all so much. I see VOI type is Annual and Number of Points if 95,700 with Resort view. Are those the 95,700 the home options you mention? I thought it said somewhere they have a 1 bedroom but I thought I read that a 1 bedroom is 81 K points and a 2 bedroom is 148 K points. I will read the sticky :) Thanks!!

Yes, 95700 HomeOptions. You are correct in that it is an awkward number. 95700 is the right number to reserve a one bedroom ocean front at WKORV/N for a week, but you can only do that eight months in advance which sort of defeats the purpose. Or you could reserve an eight day stay in the one bedroom at Nanea a year in advance.

RileyMonster

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea
Sorry I am a super newbie. What is the difference between WKORV/N and Nanea? Why would the paperwork say resort view but they would get an ocean view?

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Westin timeshares on that stretch of beach are the original Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas (WKORV) to the right of the "B" in the map below, connecting to the Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas North (WKORVN) to the left of the "B", then there is an open dedicated green space, and you come to the Westin Nanea at the "A".

Kaanapali-Beach-Resort-Map_1920px.jpg

When your parents bought their timeshare home options, they bought the abililty to reserve a 1BR resort view (could be ocean view or parking garage view, depending on timing and luck on their reservation). If they use those options to reserve in the network, they could use the 95,700 to book an oceanfront 1BR in WKORV or WKORVN - IF a unit was available to book. They can also use the points to book at other Vistana resorts in the network.

Last edited:

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Sorry I am a super newbie. What is the difference between WKORV/N and Nanea? Why would the paperwork say resort view but they would get an ocean view?

Most Nanea units are "Resort View". Resort View varies from a pretty good ocean view to a parking structure view. About 20% of the Resort View units have views of a multi-story parking structure (I don't know if it is the same percentage of one bedroom units with the lousy views; my survey was based on counting windows and dividing by three). The guarantee of a view including ocean every year was a fraud.

WKORV = Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas; WKORVN = Westin Ka'anapali Ocean Resort Villas North. They, and Nanea, were all developed by Westin; the others are about 300 yards south of Nanea. The three resorts share amenities.

RileyMonster

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Nanea
Thank you all so much! This was incredibly helpful! I might be able to figure this out for them :) Maybe Never thought you needed a Master Class to book a timeshare

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
does your father have online access to his Vistana account? If so, the best is to go online with him, go the the dashboard and try to make a reservation. You will see all the Vistana resorts and will have a better idea of what he can do with the points. It is also important to note, if he has no intention of using the points this year, he should bank them (for a fee of $99 I think) so he can use them in the next two years instead. If not banked, he will lose the points at the end of the year!

4Sunsets

Reaction score
First thing you need to research and know about Westin Nanea: It is a non-mandatory resort... That's good for home stays, don't know whether/how it affects non-home stays.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Please note - the deadline to bank the Staroptions is June 31st. Staroptions are the points that are the trading value of his timeshare. If he banks them this year, he can use them in 2020 or 2021.

You can make Staroption reservation 8 monts before check-in. Competition for the most popular resorts is strong, so it's in their best interest to decide early where they want to go. At 8 months before check-in, they can reserve an available date at any Vistana resort.

Vistana Resorts: https://www.vistana.com/destinations

Dashboard (online Acct. access for owners) - https://login.vistana.com (they may not have registered for an online Acct. yet)

Owner Services: 888-786-3548

*Vistana can email your parents a form to allow you to have access to the Acct., if they will need your help on an ongoing basis. Or you can just help them set up their online Acct. and log in using their user name and password.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
First thing you need to research and know about Westin Nanea: It is a non-mandatory resort... That's good for home stays, don't know whether/how it affects non-home stays.
Since they bought direct from Vistana, the fact that it isn't a mandatory resort does not impact their usage.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ohhh Duhhh o_O

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
your father probably lost the points (Homeoptions) he did not use for the last year and the previous one. I would also give Vistana a call see if there is any way to reinstate those Options. I doubt they will want to do it but because he had just bought maybe they are willing to make an exception and it is worth trying.

Last edited:

4Sunsets

Reaction score
Since they bought direct from Vistana, the fact that it isn't a mandatory resort does not impact their usage.

Being non-mandatory is GOOD for their home stays. Means others can't get reservations as easily/don't have preferences like a home owner. So YES, it ACTUALLY DOES impact their home stays. It makes them easier to get.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Being non-mandatory is GOOD for their home stays. Means others can't get reservations as easily/don't have preferences like a home owner. So YES, it ACTUALLY DOES impact their home stays. It makes them easier to get.

No, mandatory vs. non-mandatory is irrelevant for home stays made between eight and twelve months in advance. It's the same number of owners competing for the same number of units. It makes no difference whether those ownership interests are mandatory (developer purchases) or voluntary (resale purchases).

Where it does make a difference is within eight months of check-in. Developer purchasers can use their HomeOptions elsewhere; resale owners are stuck reserving at Nanea, renting their units, or trading through Interval. This may become especially burdensome for resale purchasers of 81000 or 95700 Resort View HomeOptions who will find that they cannot reserve a one bedroom unit at Nanea because those some of those units were reserved by owners of 148100 HomeOptions who used their "flexibility" to reserve longer stays in one bedroom units.

Last edited:

4Sunsets

Reaction score
So basically it is relevant AND does impact stays. :shrug:

:p AND does make it easier to get.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
It makes no difference whether those ownership interests are mandatory (developer purchases) or voluntary (resale purchases).

I believe this is a mischaracterization of mandatory vs voluntary. At a mandatory resort, the ability to use Staroptions transfers with the sale of the ownership. At a voluntary resort it does not.

I think the poster means that for owners of non-mandatory resorts, the ability to use Staroptions is based on whether the ownership is developer purchased or resale.