• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Questions re King's Land 2BR occupancy 6/6 versus 6/4 Units

lilpooh108

Reaction score
Hi there!

I traded in via RCI for a HGVC KL 2BR unit with occupancy 6/4 with a larger square footage. From quick research this looks like a larger phase 1 unit with a washer and dryer.

On the RCI website, it describes the smaller 2BR unit (950 sq ft, occupancy 6/6) as NOT having a washer/dryer unit . Is this true? I also looked on the HGVC website and it generally states that most units will have a washer/dryer.

Are there any 2BR (smaller sq footage) units that come without W/D? I prefer the newer 2BR units but we absolutely need the W/D (we have kids).

Which building should we request to be closest to the super pool if we keep the Phase 1 unit?

Also just out of curiosity -- why do the larger units not have 6/6 occupancy? Why is privacy listed at only 4?

Thanks so much!

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I hope you are in Phase 1 -- I love Phase 1 at Kings Land -- we requested Building 6 each of the last two times we were in Phase 1 and we it was terrific -- right next to the Super Pool. We've been on the second floor and the first and each has their advantages. I thought Phase 2 had W/D in them and will seek to confirm.

I'm building out a Presidents Week reservation for next year right now, and I intentionally picked Phase 1 even though Phase 2 has a reduced point requirements -- I think those units are terrific.

Congratulations on a great trade and I will get back on the W/D question.

Edited: yes the description of the Phase 2 indicates in-room W/D. It also says second bedroom has 2 full size beds whereas Phase 1 says 2 double beds

Best,

Greg

lilpooh108

Reaction score
Thanks so much for your quick reply Greg! You were super helpful and we're SO excited for this stay. We got married in Kona 10 years ago and are coming back for the first time, bringing our kids. Can't wait!

I included a screenshot of the RCI unit details page which claims that there is no W/D which is so bizarre. Just putting it here in case anyone else had the same confusion!

Thanks again!

Attachments

• B92E245E-5BC3-4C5D-AD22-3687ABE53208.jpeg
    B92E245E-5BC3-4C5D-AD22-3687ABE53208.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 69

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
We stayed in Phase 1 on an RCI exchange in January. We requested as close to the main pool as possible, and were given building 4, which I was very happy with as an exchanger. It was also very close to the secondary pool (also very nice) and the bbq grills. The walk to the super pool was short and easy, even with two preschoolers.

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
We stayed in one of the smaller 1-BDRM units in Phase 3 in January 2017. It was brand new and certainly had both a washer and dryer in the unit, so don't see why a 2-BDRM wouldn't have them. I find it hard to believe that any HGVC unit at Kings' Land would not be equipped with a W/D, but just checked the resort info on the HGVC website and it says that "most units have fully equipped kitchens, washer and dryer". So maybe some of them don't? You might want to confirm that the unit you have been assigned will have a washer and dryer if that is important to you.

lilpooh108

Reaction score
We stayed in Phase 1 on an RCI exchange in January. We requested as close to the main pool as possible, and were given building 4, which I was very happy with as an exchanger. It was also very close to the secondary pool (also very nice) and the bbq grills. The walk to the super pool was short and easy, even with two preschoolers.

This is super helpful, thank you! It's a silly question but were there stainless steel appliances? It seems like RCI specifically listed that for the phase 2 units but not for phase 1? Just curious. It's not a deal breaker at all. Thanks!

lilpooh108

Reaction score
We stayed in one of the smaller 1-BDRM units in Phase 3 in January 2017. It was brand new and certainly had both a washer and dryer in the unit, so don't see why a 2-BDRM wouldn't have them. I find it hard to believe that any HGVC unit at Kings' Land would not be equipped with a W/D, but just checked the resort info on the HGVC website and it says that "most units have fully equipped kitchens, washer and dryer". So maybe some of them don't? You might want to confirm that the unit you have been assigned will have a washer and dryer if that is important to you.

Thanks for the info!

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is super helpful, thank you! It's a silly question but were there stainless steel appliances? It seems like RCI specifically listed that for the phase 2 units but not for phase 1? Just curious. It's not a deal breaker at all. Thanks!

My wife says she thinks they were stainless steel, but I don't recall specifically.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
RCI descriptions use a different criteria than HGVC. Some 2 bedrooms are King/King and some are King/2Double, that must be the difference RCI is picking out.

All units have stainless appliances and W/D combo units in closets. There aren’t any common laundry rooms like Lagoon Tower in Oahu.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

lilpooh108

Reaction score
RCI descriptions use a different criteria than HGVC. Some 2 bedrooms are King/King and some are King/2Double, that must be the difference RCI is picking out.

All units have stainless appliances and W/D combo units in closets. There aren’t any common laundry rooms like Lagoon Tower in Oahu.

This is really helpful, thank you so much!

junk

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Islander 16800, Grand waikikian 12600 EOY, Boulevard 7000
Please give me your vote one bedroom OV with two double bed at Ocean tower or One bedroom plus phase1 at Kings land for Our family with a five years old kid.

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Please give me your vote one bedroom OV with two double bed at Ocean tower or One bedroom plus phase1 at Kings land for Our family with a five years old kid.
Phase 1 at KL in a ground floor room (the "basic" 2BR would be perfect). The pool is great and having the 2BR in Phase 1 (or Phase 2 for that matter) will give you access right out your back patio door onto the lawn for your 5 year-old to play. Don't waste extra points for a "premier" room as all that means is a higher floor which loses you the lawn access which our kids (ages 3, 5, 11) adore. We enjoy going down to the Hilton Waikola (where Ocean Tower is) but I wouldn't stay there over KL since it's too big and takes hours to walk anywhere. The pools down there are also freezing (we've been many times to KL but always go to the Hilton to snorkel in the lagoon, see the dolphins, and then swim in the pools....and regret that last piece each time since they're so damn cold).

junk

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Islander 16800, Grand waikikian 12600 EOY, Boulevard 7000
Thank you for your suggestions. I was wondering if fully renovated brand new ocean tower may be better. However I’m sold by your explanation of taking hours to walk anywhere from Ocean tower.
I booked code:1BR which should be phase 1 and ground floor unit.

BTW What’s the major difference between 1BR and 2BR? 2BR has larger patio?

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Thank you for your suggestions. I was wondering if fully renovated brand new ocean tower may be better. However I’m sold by your explanation of taking hours to walk anywhere from Ocean tower.

The major difference is the 2nd bedroom.... but i do believe the patio is larger as well.

JSparling

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It shouldn't say 6/6 as that's totally wrong. The first 6 is the total occupancy. The second 6 is the "private sleeping" occupancy. A reasonable person would say 2 people in the master and 2 in the other bedroom (1 in each of the 2 beds). You can't sleep 2 people in a full bed unless they are both under the age of 6. So while the beds in the second bedroom in Phase 2 are full instead of twins in Phase 1 it doesn't justify the 6/6 "rating".

KL is amazing and you'll love it. Ask for building 5 or 6 in Phase 1 and you'll be fine.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Perhaps the 3rd couple sleeps on a sofa bed in the living room? :shrug:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
I hope you are in Phase 1 -- I love Phase 1 at Kings Land -- we requested Building 6 each of the last two times we were in Phase 1 and we it was terrific -- right next to the Super Pool. We've been on the second floor and the first and each has their advantages. I thought Phase 2 had W/D in them and will seek to confirm.

I'm building out a Presidents Week reservation for next year right now, and I intentionally picked Phase 1 even though Phase 2 has a reduced point requirements -- I think those units are terrific.

Congratulations on a great trade and I will get back on the W/D question.

Edited: yes the description of the Phase 2 indicates in-room W/D. It also says second bedroom has 2 full size beds whereas Phase 1 says 2 double beds

Best,

Greg

Quoting myself again :doh:

So I built out my 7 night reservation at HGVC across Presidents Day weekend - that is amazing in and of itself and reminds me of one of the reasons I like HGVC so much. This reservation system is terrific (as are the properties themselves) and the fact that resale owners are not punished is noteworthy. We HGVC owners are a fortunate group.

The point of this note is that I just got off the phone with RCI, telling me that a waitlist request for HGVC Kingsland had matched for February 15th. It was a great point stretching opportunity, but reminded me that I would likely be in Phase 3 instead of Phase 1. I really really like Phase 1 so I passed. This will be the last trip I can take with Caroline before she goes off to college in 15 months. I just took a trip with Cassie (she goes to college in September) and it was fantastic -- I want the same opportunity with Caroline.

So there's a week there if someone wants to jump on it -- am curious if anyone else would have passed on the point stretching opportunity?

And how TUGgers who have stayed in Phase 3 feel about it?

Best,

Greg

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Congrats on getting your girls set up for college, seems a short time since you were posting family pics on the pool bridge in Maui. We’ve only met the once at Seapointe but I feel like friends of your family watching them grow up via TUG. What better memory of sending them off into the world than a trip to Hawaii.

I would not have passed on the point stretcher even if it meant phase three. A bad day in Waikablowa, as Buzz calls it, is still Hawaii after all. We stay in phase 2 to stretch points and don’t mind the walk to the clubhouse, phase 3 is not THAT much further. Its a lot closer than being 3,000 miles away on the mainland. We are walkers so don’t mind the exercise.

We spend most days doing day trips and come back for happy hour at the pool, enjoy the hawaiian music entertainers. If I have too many Lava Flows the shuttle will drop you off at phase 3, runs until 9pm.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
The point of this note is that I just got off the phone with RCI, telling me that a waitlist request for HGVC Kingsland had matched for February 15th. It was a great point stretching opportunity, but reminded me that I would likely be in Phase 3 instead of Phase 1. I really really like Phase 1 so I passed. This will be the last trip I can take with Caroline before she goes off to college in 15 months. I just took a trip with Cassie (she goes to college in September) and it was fantastic -- I want the same opportunity with Caroline.

So there's a week there if someone wants to jump on it -- am curious if anyone else would have passed on the point stretching opportunity?

Best,

Greg

I believe phase 3 is combination of both "phase 2" and "phase 1" style rooms. I noticed they removed the building numbers from the room descriptions for both categories in the booking tools. I not sure that even if you book with HGV points you can be 100% certain to be in original phase 1 buildings.

On a positive note, from what i have seen from online pictures, the phase 3 rooms look really nice inside.

giowop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard
Quoting myself again :doh:

Best,

Greg

In KL Phase III Building #23 right now. Disclaimer: this is our first visit to the Big Island, and we're on a VIP promo trip, but we LOVE it and are absolutely fine with a 2BR, 2Bath in Phase III. It's me, my wife, and 16- and 20-yr old daughters. Maybe we don't know enough to complain about its inadequacies, but being way out in BFE of Phase III has not been an issue. The staff told us repeatedly that we could call for cart rides to and from the clubhouse. But the walk isn't annoying at all. The pool between building #24 & 25 is also 100 yds from our Huge lanai, so there's that (Pic attached below)

It's a K layout, so I believe this can be had for 7000 pts or even 5000 gold season? To us, that's more than worth saving the points spent on Phase 1, but we are noobs to HGVC so...

I plan to write a more detailed review later if anyone cares. I'd strive to buy in quickly here at KL if not for the killer maintenance fees
5fa4a7151e412052cdc167ceefc301e2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

giowop

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC on the Boulevard

I just checked out Ocean Tower 2 days ago. Here are a couple pics. I plan to make a bigger post later
d17aa91755e1e684bcffbc26ed77899a.jpg
4049d205871d3db1f4f40943fb256266.jpg

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In KL Phase III Building #23 right now. Disclaimer: this is our first visit to the Big Island, and we're on a VIP promo trip, but we LOVE it and are absolutely fine with a 2BR, 2Bath in Phase III. It's me, my wife, and 16- and 20-yr old daughters. Maybe we don't know enough to complain about its inadequacies, but being way out in BFE of Phase III has not been an issue. The staff told us repeatedly that we could call for cart rides to and from the clubhouse. But the walk isn't annoying at all. The pool between building #24 & 25 is also 100 yds from our Huge lanai, so there's that (Pic attached below)

It's a K layout, so I believe this can be had for 7000 pts or even 5000 gold season? To us, that's more than worth saving the points spent on Phase 1, but we are noobs to HGVC so...

I plan to write a more detailed review later if anyone cares. I'd strive to buy in quickly here at KL if not for the killer maintenance fees
5fa4a7151e412052cdc167ceefc301e2.jpg

Thank you for the feedback and the picture -- that pool does look terrific! I'm glad the relative distance to the main resort center hasn't been an issue and I'm sure I will be in Phase 3 at some point in my traveling career. I do really like Phase 1 ground floor units and will hope that is I land on my next trip. I would welcome the perspective of all TUGgers and their Phase 3 experience, as this post is very encouraging. Thanks very much!

Best,

Greg