• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Better for OV/OF - Waiohai or Ko'Olina?

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Planning two weeks in Hawaii next year, one at KO and one at Waiohai. Which one would be preferred to spring more DP points for the better view category? I probably only have enough to do one.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Planning two weeks in Hawaii next year, one at KO and one at Waiohai. Which one would be preferred to spring more DP points for the better view category? I probably only have enough to do one.

Conventional wisdom is that the best Ocean View units at Waiohai go to week owners and more specifically multiple-week owners. Many of the OV units at Waiohai are said to have so-so ocean views, but a few are very nice. Multi-week and single-week owners would have priority for the best OV units, so a points booking might get some of the less desirable OV units. That's the conventional wisdom that has been discussed often here on TUG concerning Waiohai OV units. We used Points back in February and got a great Island View unit on floor three overlooking the lagoons. For that reason, when we recently decided to buy an EOY unit at Waiohai, we opted for Island View, since the IV units have nice views of the grounds and as an owner, we will hopefully get a decent IV assignment when using our ownership. Several OV owners have reported even as owners, they didn't get great OV assignments, since they are not multi-week owners. So, based on that, I would expect points bookings to not get the best OV units either. Waiohai has a very small number of great OV units, and the conventional wisdom is those tend to go to multi-week owners.

I have never stayed at KoOlina, but have seen some posts of some cool ocean views. So, while others may be able to offer better advice, the issues noted above with Waiohai OV units might argue to use your points for a better KoOlina view.

This was our points booking view from February in Waiohai Island View:

20190223_untitled_1503.jpg

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would be ecstatic if I were to have this as an island view.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Thanks, Jim. That was very helpful.

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I would think Ko Olina provides more opportunity for great OVs. I may be off a little here, but it seems to me that some Mountain View units at Ko Olina may provide better views of the ocean than some OVs at Waiohia...unless you can get one of the units closest to the ocean at Waiohai. Those have phenomenal views.

We exchanged into Waiohai last month and lucked out. We were upgraded from an Island View (which was facing the outside of the resort) to an Ocean View. It was all the way back of the resort, but we loved it. Here's the view from the unit. If you squint, you just might see the ocean in the distance :) We saw more ocean during one of our MV exchanges at Ko Olina. I'm definitely not complaining about the view at Waiohai, especially considering we originally had an Island View.

Waiohai OV:
Waiohai-Hale_Four-Balcony.jpg

ETA: Pictures from Ko Olina.
OV exchange:
Ocean-view.jpg

MV Exchange:
20180416_060655.jpg

Last edited:

4Sunsets

Reaction score
I have never stayed at KoOlina, but have seen some posts of some cool ocean views. So, while others may be able to offer better advice, the issues noted above with Waiohai OV units might argue to use your points for a better KoOlina view.

This was our points booking view from February in Waiohai Island View:

View attachment 11971

We've stayed at KoOlina dozens of times. KoOlina has two view categories: OV and IV. We've always enjoyed the OV more than IV.

We've stayed a handful of times at Waiohai. Honestly, the IV can be pretty good and if you take a look at how the property is oriented in the resort map, you'll see why there are only a few great OV available.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We've stayed at KoOlina dozens of times. KoOlina has two view categories: OV and IV. We've always enjoyed the OV more than IV.

We've stayed a handful of times at Waiohai. Honestly, the IV can be pretty good and if you take a look at how the property is oriented in the resort map, you'll see why there are only a few great OV available.

Yep, many of the Waiohai OV units see the ocean over a parking lot (Hale 5, 6, 7). The best OV units are the ones in Hale 1. We were very pleased with our IV at Waiohai in Hale 3.

One minor correction, based on the Destination Club points charts, the view categories at KoOlina are OV and MV (Mountain View), not Island View. Not sure that's an overly important difference, but that is what the "official" categories are.

4Sunsets

Reaction score
The view categories at KoOlina are OV and MV (Mountain View), not Island View.

Yes, technically MV and OV. MV is really an island view. :thumbup:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ko Olina, esp if you can get a single entry 2 BR OV or the 2 BR portion of a 3 BR or an OV penthouse unit. But overall for a DP reservation you're not likely to get a great view at either though the upside is likely more at Ko Olina.

Bill4728

Reaction score
My feeling was the MV at Ko Olina were pretty good as long as you got a higher floor (maybe 3rd and up) Some of the low floors have really bad views

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
We stay at both nearly every year.

Splurge on OV at Ko Olina. Any OV room with a high floor will have a good view. Preferably get something higher than 6th or 7th floor. Otherwise you may be looking at a swaying coconut tree. Asking for Single Entry unit will place you in Naia tower

Waiohai has very few OV rooms worthy of the title. Only 3-4 floors depending on Hale. You will not get a good OV at Waiohai.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Follow brianfox recommendations above.

Use the extra DC Pts at Ko Olina for OceanView, not Waiohai. While no guarantees of a great view at either, Ko Olina certainly has a much higher chance of a nice ocean view rooms than Waiohai does.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Follow brianfox recommendations above.

Use the extra DC Pts at Ko Olina for OceanView, not Waiohai. While no guarantees of a great view at either, Ko Olina certainly has a much higher chance of a nice ocean view rooms than Waiohai does.

Yes, hangloose is absolutely correct.

Also, from a sheer numbers standpoint it is far easier getting into Ko Olina versus Waiohai. Additionally you could end up using far fewer Vacation Club Points; at Ko Olina you always have the option of a one bedroom or a studio versus a standard two bedroom at Waiohai (thus a lessor point consumption at Ko Olina if you opt for a smaller Villa).

Enjoy your trip!

Last edited:

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
Thanks for all of the great responses, everyone. Patiently waiting for my (pathetic Owner) booking window to open up for August 2020.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
How does Waiohai IV compare to the OF categories at Marriott Kaui Beach Club? How do the two properties compare in terms of beach access and amenities and nearby things to do? We are thinking of doing a split stay at Waiohai in a 2 bR IV (since they do not have 1 br) and a 1 BR oceanfront at Marriott Kauai Beach Club. We want to stay 11 nights in Kauai possibly in 2020. Any feedback on this combo?

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Unless points are a deciding factor, I’d do all days at Waiohai. OF at KBC is Ok, but just a harbor view. More stuff in walking distance, but not significant. Need a car at both. Pool for kids is awesome.

Waiohai is close for driving to harbor trips and hiking in the canyon. The ambiance and beaches at and near Waiohai are much better.

https://www.ralphmawyerphotography.com/Travel/Hawaii/Kauai-Jan-2007/

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How does Waiohai IV compare to the OF categories at Marriott Kaui Beach Club? How do the two properties compare in terms of beach access and amenities and nearby things to do? We are thinking of doing a split stay at Waiohai in a 2 bR IV (since they do not have 1 br) and a 1 BR oceanfront at Marriott Kauai Beach Club. We want to stay 11 nights in Kauai possibly in 2020. Any feedback on this combo?
We won't go to Kauai rather than staying at KBC again after staying in an OF 1BR. For 11 nights I'd likely do a split stay at Lagoons and Waiohai and do the things closer to each accordingly. Or I might look at an exchange or cash/rental option.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
How does Lagoons OF compare to Kauai Beach Club OF? It is only 2 BR at Lagoons and not sure if there is a beach?

The other options to split a stay with Waiohai would be Westin Princeville IV which is very nice but no beach or Sheraton Poipu which is only IV.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How does Lagoons OF compare to Kauai Beach Club OF? It is only 2 BR at Lagoons and not sure if there is a beach?

The other options to split a stay with Waiohai would be Westin Princeville IV which is very nice but no beach or Sheraton Poipu which is only IV.
Which is why I mentioned exchanges or rental to Wyndham's, Westin or anyone of a number of other options. For 2 people you'll have the loss of value getting a 2 BR but it might be worth it to some and not to others. Both nice resorts and worth staying at IMO. You might like KBC, we didn't largely due to the limited kitchen facilities and the less than upscale furnishings/feel. But if you're a pool person, it has a very nice pool and Duke's is right there, anchovies and all.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
We tried KBC OV one time and were not impressed. KCB is a converted hotel. While it does have a bunch of nice OF and OV VIEWS, rooms do not have a full kitchen. They have Pullman beds. Quality of room in no way compares to Waiohai.

KBC has a ginormous pool, and Duke's right there on the beach - these are the only plusses I can give KBC.
Waiohai has a so-so pool but fronts Poipu Beach - one of the best beaches anywhere. Period.

For us, Waiohai was the clear winner, even if we got a room overlooking the parking lot. We return there for in just over 4 weeks for a 21 night stay.

Marriott Kauai Lagoons is another option, with rooms newer and better than Waiohai. However, the pool is a yawner and it is not near a beach. It is nearby KBC, but is quite isolated.

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
We tried KBC OV one time and were not impressed. KCB is a converted hotel. While it does have a bunch of nice OF and OV VIEWS, rooms do not have a full kitchen. They have Pullman beds. Quality of room in no way compares to Waiohai.

KBC has a ginormous pool, and Duke's right there on the beach - these are the only plusses I can give KBC.
Waiohai has a so-so pool but fronts Poipu Beach - one of the best beaches anywhere. Period.

For us, Waiohai was the clear winner, even if we got a room overlooking the parking lot. We return there for in just over 4 weeks for a 21 night stay.

Marriott Kauai Lagoons is another option, with rooms newer and better than Waiohai. However, the pool is a yawner and it is not near a beach. It is nearby KBC, but is quite isolated.

We now share your enthusiasm for Waiohai. Our February stay was our first, but we just closed on our EOY-Odd IV (still not in our MVC account yet, though) so we'll be back in early 2021. Poipu has always been our favorite area on Kauai and it's even better now with all the new restaurants at the Shops at Kukuiula, plus our long time favorites, The Beach House and Keokis Paradise.

jmhpsu93

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Abound Points
MVC Grande Vista (x2)
MVC Cypress Harbour (x2)
MVC Harbour Lake (x2)
Golden Shores (Mexico)
So Ko Olina OV it will be...so one entrance or two for a 2 BR?

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
So Ko Olina OV it will be...so one entrance or two for a 2 BR?

If you are going to stay via points, I'm not sure you can request a Single Entry Unit vs a Lockoff. I imagine you can request a lockoff, but Marriott rarely has people request Single Entry. Single Entry Unit will be a near certainty you will be placed in Naia tower (almost all Single Entry). It has the best pool. Kona tower might have a view of the luau.

If you do request a Singe Entry, make certain it says so on the reservation. Even call to verify if you have to. Chances are excellent they will make a mistake. They screwed up my 2020 reservation just a week ago; had to call to fix it.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If you are going to stay via points, I'm not sure you can request a Single Entry Unit vs a Lockoff. I imagine you can request a lockoff, but Marriott rarely has people request Single Entry. Single Entry Unit will be a near certainty you will be placed in Naia tower (almost all Single Entry). It has the best pool. Kona tower might have a view of the luau.

If you do request a Singe Entry, make certain it says so on the reservation. Even call to verify if you have to. Chances are excellent they will make a mistake. They screwed up my 2020 reservation just a week ago; had to call to fix it.
For a 2 BR the options will be listed independently as 2 BR (of a 3 BR), 2 BR 2 entry, 2 BR single entry, 2 BR Penthouse 2 entry, 2 BR single entry PH each with an OV or MV variation. And unless the resort changes their policy, what you reserve is what you get with essentially no exceptions. So 10 distinct reservation types for a 2 BR and for DC points it's a direct reservation not a request, for an exchange the answer is basically the same. The same is true at all locations I know of which have different room types and/or view types. To an extent it's the same answer for a HC unit, they are booked directly but if not all booked (and often they are not), they can give you a HC unit that matches their other parameters. Certainly there are things that can happen if they're overbooked or a unit goes out of service so nothing is 100% but it's pretty close and for Ko Olina it's about as close to 100% as you can get the last 2.75 years.