• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

My Realtor Interviews and Fear of Selling Our Home

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Something we have to look into is the size of our septic tank. We think it is big (1000-1250) because the house was going to be a 4 bedroom home, but we just had the builder leave that wall out. We can't remember but we think maybe the septic tank was put in before we told him to leave the wall out. So we will see..
This could be a big issue. In many communities, building code sizes the septic system by number of bedrooms, not the size of the house or number of bathrooms. And it doesn't matter what the code was when you built it; it will only matter what the current code is if you add a bedroom now.

Our story: We built our previous house, and it was a custom ranch with a full unfinished basement that was officially three bedrooms, but the one "bedroom" was right off the entry with glass French doors. We only used it as a den, but it did have a closet.

When we finished the walk-out basement a few years later, we added two large bedrooms, however, that would have made the house a 5BR home, and per our local code, we would have had to add a second, tandem septic tank! $20-30K was the estimate. So instead, we removed the closet slide-by doors in the den and converted the space to built-ins. Then the house was down to 4BR, but we still needed to increase the size of the septic leach field to the tune of a few thousand dollars.

Kurt

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Don't stress over moving twice - it is not the end of the world. When you are changing locations, it is not a bad idea to rent in the new area to see if you really do like it.

When we moved to the Phoenix area we were not sure that we would like it so decided to rent a nice home in the area we thought we liked best. Our younger son had lived in Phoenix since 1994 so we thought we would give it a try. We wanted to spend at least a year here to see if we liked it. We had only lived in Arkansas, Kansas, and Missouri, so this was a big change. We spent 30 years living on 5 acres just outside of Topeka, Kansas and my husband was very concerned about living in a large metro area.

Well, we loved it here and our rental house was nice but the lot was too small so we started looking to buy after a year. We found a great single story home on a 1/2 acre lot with no neighbors behind us ever, so it works for us. We have been in AZ for 12 years now and our oldest son liked it so well, that his family moved here from Kansas City and live just 3 blocks away, so this is home for the rest of our lives. :)

If we had not liked it, we would have tried some place else and we would not have the hassle of selling another house. We do not miss the snow and it gets pretty darned hot in Kansas too.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Welk Resorts
I wouldn't worry much about the third bathroom.
The brushed nickel faucets and fixtures are fine.
I would go with the local couple as agents. And definitely use an agent. The stack of legal paperwork involved in buying/selling a home is literally an inch thick......
In Illinois, you also have to have a full size window/second exit as well as a closet to be considered a bedroom.
I'd definitely check local codes on the septic system requirements, whether it's bedrooms or bathrooms that determine what size system you need. If you can't add bedrooms, you can always list them as "bonus rooms". It's not like people come check how many are living in the house.....

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I had some rental houses and I sold all three myself. No realtors. The key - - in my mind - - was to put on a thin coat of paint and replace the carpeting (with "re-lo" beige). All sold quickly and either AT or slightly above the market average. Remember: "new carpet and new paint".

We also sold our own house through a realtor for a decent price. We painted the outside and inside.

The benefit of new paint and new carpet is, IMHO, largely psychological. People smell the new paint and new carpet and it affects them. Perhaps they subliminally think that the house is pristine, or perhaps they consider it to be as perfect as a new house.

So I think that if you spend $3K on paint or $5K on carpeting that you'll get it back in terms of selling price and/or rapidity of the sale.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Don't stress over moving twice - it is not the end of the world. When you are changing locations, it is not a bad idea to rent in the new area to see if you really do like it.

When we moved to the Phoenix area we were not sure that we would like it so decided to rent a nice home in the area we thought we liked best. Our younger son had lived in Phoenix since 1994 so we thought we would give it a try. We wanted to spend at least a year here to see if we liked it. We had only lived in Arkansas, Kansas, and Missouri, so this was a big change. We spent 30 years living on 5 acres just outside of Topeka, Kansas and my husband was very concerned about living in a large metro area.

Well, we loved it here and our rental house was nice but the lot was too small so we started looking to buy after a year. We found a great single story home on a 1/2 acre lot with no neighbors behind us ever, so it works for us. We have been in AZ for 12 years now and our oldest son liked it so well, that his family moved here from Kansas City and live just 3 blocks away, so this is home for the rest of our lives. :)

If we had not liked it, we would have tried some place else and we would not have the hassle of selling another house. We do not miss the snow and it gets pretty darned hot in Kansas too.

That is great! Worked out really well for you!

Unfortunately, if we sell the house now we have to rent here because my husband is still working. So once we are in place we will just have to do long distance house hunting. I am not going to move 3 times. I will have a heart attack. LOL!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I had some rental houses and I sold all three myself. No realtors. The key - - in my mind - - was to put on a thin coat of paint and replace the carpeting (with "re-lo" beige). All sold quickly and either AT or slightly above the market average. Remember: "new carpet and new paint".

We also sold our own house through a realtor for a decent price. We painted the outside and inside.

The benefit of new paint and new carpet is, IMHO, largely psychological. People smell the new paint and new carpet and it affects them. Perhaps they subliminally think that the house is pristine, or perhaps they consider it to be as perfect as a new house.

So I think that if you spend $3K on paint or $5K on carpeting that you'll get it back in terms of selling price and/or rapidity of the sale.

We just had the house painted over the past 5 years so not doing it again. We have to pay people to do it and it cost a fortune. Not to mention the house will go up NOW. Also new carpet was put in the bedrooms during that time as well- the rest of the house is hardwood- all refinished.

Our bedroom carpet is very light and neutral but we had an issue with it- long story. Hopefully the buyers will just replace it themselves. I am not going to pay more money so buyers can have new carpet. It is not ripped or stained or anything like that. It is clean. Just "flat" looking.

You have to realize we are living on one 5 figure paycheck in expensive NY since I was forced to leave my job in Sept. So we are on a tight budget right now. Not to mention when hubby retires we have to totally live off savings for at least 4 years, draining the account, before taking SS. We don't have a lot of extra money.

We will get a pre inspection done and who knows what will come of that. More money I am sure.

If the house doesn't close by November, let's say, then we will take it off the market and reevaluate based on what transpires and put it back up in the spring, that's all.

I am going to call and cancel the firewood delivery. I hope they don't get mad (been using them for 31 years) as we were having them cut 14 inch logs instead of 16. But besides not wanting to pay $500 for wood we might not be using, we do not want a giant- two year supply of wood covered with a tarp next to our driveway while the house is up for sale. Will see how that goes today.

Last edited:

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
I was a realtor many years ago when my kids were young and I wanted out of the rat race to be home with them. I'm now back in the corporate world.

I would go with the husband and wife team, they seemed to have the best handle on your area. I can only speak for my area but the homes that are priced high out of the gate and then reduced later on languish on the market and those priced based on market conditions / comp's and listed in the spring / early summer go quickly and for top dollar. My neighbor listed his house $20K higher in January and its still on the market. My other two neighbors listed their home based on comp's and each home sold within a month of listing...

You want to select a realtor that is actually going to work for you vs one of the big realtors that has multiple agents under him / her and they only time you see him / her is when the person lists your home and from that point on you deal with their underlings.

It's hard to sell a home and make that move but you've already taken that first step... I agree with others advice in that you have to not dwell on the past and just move forward. I'm so excited for you because once you sell and move to a new place you will then have the freedom to do what you want...

I'm re-facing my kitchen cabinets as my kids have destroyed my house over the past 20 years and our landscaping as become overgrown... I know that by doing these things my home with sell quickly and be desirable and I will list it next May to give myself the time I need to declutter and stage the home for sale.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
If an agent cannot sell your house then it’s not likely you would be able to afterwards. Anyone trying to get you to list too high will comeback in a few weeks and want to lower it. Based on what you said your house will not sell for what you want. Nothing will change that.

I do see 3 moves in your future unless you decide to move directly to where you want to retire. If you buy right away you may be in a similar situation.

You can always invest your money in the stock market while renting and hope for a good return.
You may want to get a temp job in the meantime.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I was a realtor many years ago when my kids were young and I wanted out of the rat race to be home with them. I'm now back in the corporate world.

I would go with the husband and wife team, they seemed to have the best handle on your area. I can only speak for my area but the homes that are priced high out of the gate and then reduced later on languish on the market and those priced based on market conditions / comp's and listed in the spring / early summer go quickly and for top dollar. My neighbor listed his house $20K higher in January and its still on the market. My other two neighbors listed their home based on comp's and each home sold within a month of listing...

You want to select a realtor that is actually going to work for you vs one of the big realtors that has multiple agents under him / her and they only time you see him / her is when the person lists your home and from that point on you deal with their underlings.

It's hard to sell a home and make that move but you've already taken that first step... I agree with others advice in that you have to not dwell on the past and just move forward. I'm so excited for you because once you sell and move to a new place you will then have the freedom to do what you want...

I'm re-facing my kitchen cabinets as my kids have destroyed my house over the past 20 years and our landscaping as become overgrown... I know that by doing these things my home with sell quickly and be desirable and I will list it next May to give myself the time I need to declutter and stage the home for sale.

Thanks so much! Yes- this couple seems like a good fit for us.

Good luck with your kitchen and decluttering. We did that over the past 5-6 years as we updated each room. We still have stuff- mostly in the garage- that has to go. And we do have to get rid of our bedroom furniture somehow. It is HUGE!

And with our landscaping we actually ripped out most of the bushes directly surrounding our home and just mulched, leaving a clean slate for a buyer. I will put a few pots of flowers out in June. If it would just stop raining my husband could get the lawn mowed. This weekend we are hoping for nice weather so he can get the preservative on our bridge and deck (we do this every three years).

I have butterflies.....

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently sold my primary residence .... after 3+ years on the market. I moved out, moved back in, changed realtors 4 or more times, lowered the price, etc. It was in a VERY in demand area, etc on 3.5 acres. I stopped counting the number of people who looked with their realtor and wanted to 'just buy' a lot to build their dream home on. I repeatly told my realtor "I am selling the property ... not lots".

Now, I am about to put my current abode up for sale ... a place I have owned for 30+ years as a rental but have been living in since I listed the prior house. I am painting the next "new" abode now ... just about 1/2 mile away. And interviewing realtors to list this house.

Just can't wait for MORE fun ...

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
We've made four job related moves over the years and I couldn't even begin to guess at the number of houses I've looked at.

Some of what the realtors told you is correct. Houses do sell better and for better prices in the summer months. Get your house on the market with a realtor asap. Call the one you are most comfortable with today and get that contract signed! Yes you could wait another year but if the prices are good now take advantage of that. Waiting could end up costing you a lot of money or stuck in a house you clearly are ready to leave. The fact that you have been interviewing realtors indicates that you know it is time. Leaving someplace you have lived in for years is difficult for most people but focus on what the next chapter of your life will bring and let yourself be excited about that.

Don't stress yourself out or waste money doing the things all realtors tell every homeowner they should do. You would be better off going for a little higher price and offering the buyer some money back/an allowance to make whatever changes THEY want. You are correct about saying what you do might not be to the buyers taste and then you have just wasted your money. Our old next door neighbors where we lived up North did what the realtors told them. They replaced the family room carpet and painted all the rooms with neutral colors. Guess what the people who bought their house did before they even moved in. Replaced the carpet because they didn't like it and repainted with colors they liked.

I doubt you have a lot of clutter and overgrown landscaping so you should be good on that score. Both of those things make a difference when it comes to first impressions.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Oh one thing I forgot is to declutter the house. Last time we sold a House we rented a storage unit. We backed up books, book cases, etc. It made the third bedroom appear much bigger with only a sofa and TV in the room. Nick nacks, etc were stored away.

geekette

Reaction score
I would stand firm on "as is". Two bedrooms is not a downside if 2 bedrooms is what the buyer wants. No point in doing any remodelling for somebody else. My brother jumped thru all the hoops that his realtor said he should do and was out a pretty penny. and his house did not sell. things got worse for him (car crash, stroke, etc etc) so he ended up foreclosed. All that stuff he did, all that money, he maybe didn't have to lose the house. Of course the person selling it wants it perfect, but it's not for them. They will find many ways for you to spend your money to make it a better product for them to sell. Resist all of that. When it comes down to offer/counter offer and inspection, then there may be some things you do or knock off the price and new people deal with it.

I don't buy a place for how someone else had it, I buy it for what I want For Me. For the possibilities that I see. House next door sold and new guy ripped out the kitchen that had been redone recently. Painted entire house gray, put panelling up, put in new plants, etc.

to sell or not to sell? only you know if you are ready. forget the logistics, they will be there no matter when. Lots of things can happen, keep your options open. Life is an adventure, this is a biggie! Don't cancel firewood. Frankly, if it is nicely stored, the next folks will be happy it's already there. Plus, you might be using it. I wouldn't stop the normal stuff until I'm OUT because nobody knows the timeline. I used my wood stove night before last because I couldn't stand the chilly night and would not break down and turn on the furnace.

Septic - what Kurt said, it goes by bedrooms as that would be tagged to occupancy. Your board of health can tell you what you have. I had to replace entire system a few years ago and I popped for the larger tanks. Lady from BOH said it would be an easy rubber stamp from them if I add a room, etc., as they were here during the process. Here, a bedroom has a window and a closet. By that definition, I have 2 rooms with doors to the outside that could be bedrooms, but they aren't! The basement room with the sump pump in it has a closet that can be removed if it comes to it. I officially have 2 bedrooms but by strict definition, that could be 5! Whatever you find out on septic isn't info you need to pass along. If new people want 5 bedrooms, they will find out whatever when they go for permits, there is no reason for you to disclose that maybe that will get pricey. Septic isn't defective so wouldn't go on that list. As Is.

When we sold our first house, we got full price offer within a week of listing it. Our realtor had done some preliminary work that had buyer agents lining up to see it. You want that kind of person handling it, there needs to be interest generated. Our big problem was that we had no where to go, so our home shopping was frantic and seemed long and unending until we walked into this place and saw the peacock on the deck, all flayed out looking at us. Good omen.

The idea of starting high price and then periodically cutting it is a bad idea. Normal people like me start wondering "What's wrong with it?" realtors should be bringing you comps that show similar homes in your area and what they sold for. Your house is unique so these are not great guidelines but hew to the basic sq ft, garage, bedrooms, bathroom, lot size.

I wish you the very best on this big step. I agree with a previous poster to stop letting stress grab you. Compared to everything else you've done in life, this is easy, and the start of a big new chapter.

jackio

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
In 2017 we sold the house we had lived in for 31 years. We wanted to go to a 55+ community. The house had had some updates through the years (windows, doors, roof, granite countertop, one totally new bathroom) but needed a lot of facelifting. It would have also needed siding, a cesspool and a new heating system as we were still on the original boiler/burner. We decided that instead of sinking money and effort into it, we would pass it on to a young, energetic family who could take on those projects and make the house their own. We looked at the current prices in our neighborhood, where houses were selling quickly, and figured what we would be able to get. It just happened that our SIL worked with a woman who was looking for a house. She called me and said she wanted to see it. I explained that we had planned on doing some things to get the house ready to put on the market, but she was anxious and wanted to see it.
They came and I told them what I anticipated our asking price would be. I told her we would reduce that by the 6% that we would pay a realtor. They wanted the house. I specified it would have to be "as is" unless an engineer found a structural defect. The report came in stating the heating system needed to be replaced. Their attorney asked for a seller's concession of $5K but we held on to the "as is" stand, and the sale went through without an issue.
In our case, not having to deal with the sprucing up was worth the couple thousand we could have gotten by doing it.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I recently sold my primary residence .... after 3+ years on the market. I moved out, moved back in, changed realtors 4 or more times, lowered the price, etc. It was in a VERY in demand area, etc on 3.5 acres. I stopped counting the number of people who looked with their realtor and wanted to 'just buy' a lot to build their dream home on. I repeatly told my realtor "I am selling the property ... not lots".

Now, I am about to put my current abode up for sale ... a place I have owned for 30+ years as a rental but have been living in since I listed the prior house. I am painting the next "new" abode now ... just about 1/2 mile away. And interviewing realtors to list this house.

Just can't wait for MORE fun ...

Linda best of luck! Let us know how it goes! From past experience I know it is one of the most stressful experiences in life!

Yeah- I am “ retired” since Sept. and still waiting for the fun to begin! Maybe on the nursing home! lol!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Oh one thing I forgot is to declutter the house. Last time we sold a House we rented a storage unit. We backed up books, book cases, etc. It made the third bedroom appear much bigger with only a sofa and TV in the room. Nick nacks, etc were stored away.

Our home is not cluttered at all. I do have some things, but definitely not cluttered. I am too much of a neat freak.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I would stand firm on "as is". Two bedrooms is not a downside if 2 bedrooms is what the buyer wants. No point in doing any remodelling for somebody else. My brother jumped thru all the hoops that his realtor said he should do and was out a pretty penny. and his house did not sell. things got worse for him (car crash, stroke, etc etc) so he ended up foreclosed. All that stuff he did, all that money, he maybe didn't have to lose the house. Of course the person selling it wants it perfect, but it's not for them. They will find many ways for you to spend your money to make it a better product for them to sell. Resist all of that. When it comes down to offer/counter offer and inspection, then there may be some things you do or knock off the price and new people deal with it.

I don't buy a place for how someone else had it, I buy it for what I want For Me. For the possibilities that I see. House next door sold and new guy ripped out the kitchen that had been redone recently. Painted entire house gray, put panelling up, put in new plants, etc.

to sell or not to sell? only you know if you are ready. forget the logistics, they will be there no matter when. Lots of things can happen, keep your options open. Life is an adventure, this is a biggie! Don't cancel firewood. Frankly, if it is nicely stored, the next folks will be happy it's already there. Plus, you might be using it. I wouldn't stop the normal stuff until I'm OUT because nobody knows the timeline. I used my wood stove night before last because I couldn't stand the chilly night and would not break down and turn on the furnace.

Septic - what Kurt said, it goes by bedrooms as that would be tagged to occupancy. Your board of health can tell you what you have. I had to replace entire system a few years ago and I popped for the larger tanks. Lady from BOH said it would be an easy rubber stamp from them if I add a room, etc., as they were here during the process. Here, a bedroom has a window and a closet. By that definition, I have 2 rooms with doors to the outside that could be bedrooms, but they aren't! The basement room with the sump pump in it has a closet that can be removed if it comes to it. I officially have 2 bedrooms but by strict definition, that could be 5! Whatever you find out on septic isn't info you need to pass along. If new people want 5 bedrooms, they will find out whatever when they go for permits, there is no reason for you to disclose that maybe that will get pricey. Septic isn't defective so wouldn't go on that list. As Is.

When we sold our first house, we got full price offer within a week of listing it. Our realtor had done some preliminary work that had buyer agents lining up to see it. You want that kind of person handling it, there needs to be interest generated. Our big problem was that we had no where to go, so our home shopping was frantic and seemed long and unending until we walked into this place and saw the peacock on the deck, all flayed out looking at us. Good omen.

The idea of starting high price and then periodically cutting it is a bad idea. Normal people like me start wondering "What's wrong with it?" realtors should be bringing you comps that show similar homes in your area and what they sold for. Your house is unique so these are not great guidelines but hew to the basic sq ft, garage, bedrooms, bathroom, lot size.

I wish you the very best on this big step. I agree with a previous poster to stop letting stress grab you. Compared to everything else you've done in life, this is easy, and the start of a big new chapter.

Thank you, geekette. Yeah- our first house we sold we did a ton of work on the 10 years we owned it. Everything new. Additions and all. Do you know the next couple of owners ripped everything out and the house - even on the outside- is totally unrecognizable? (and for the worse imo)

So I know all too well.

As for the septic I think the realtors need to know the size so as to know if they can list it as a 3 bedroom. But will discuss further with them.

And- yeah- not knowing what I will be living in is actually the worst of it to me. If we could have afforded to buy another place first I wouldn’t be stressed. We found a great little house and community last week but It will be gone I think before we sell this home.

Not only that- I don’t know where we will even be renting in the meanwhile. Two to worry about.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
In 2017 we sold the house we had lived in for 31 years. We wanted to go to a 55+ community. The house had had some updates through the years (windows, doors, roof, granite countertop, one totally new bathroom) but needed a lot of facelifting. It would have also needed siding, a cesspool and a new heating system as we were still on the original boiler/burner. We decided that instead of sinking money and effort into it, we would pass it on to a young, energetic family who could take on those projects and make the house their own. We looked at the current prices in our neighborhood, where houses were selling quickly, and figured what we would be able to get. It just happened that our SIL worked with a woman who was looking for a house. She called me and said she wanted to see it. I explained that we had planned on doing some things to get the house ready to put on the market, but she was anxious and wanted to see it.
They came and I told them what I anticipated our asking price would be. I told her we would reduce that by the 6% that we would pay a realtor. They wanted the house. I specified it would have to be "as is" unless an engineer found a structural defect. The report came in stating the heating system needed to be replaced. Their attorney asked for a seller's concession of $5K but we held on to the "as is" stand, and the sale went through without an issue.
In our case, not having to deal with the sprucing up was worth the couple thousand we could have gotten by doing it.

That’s great! Yes- that is the way I see it. Take some money off the price. I am not going through all this construction and painting and so forth. And honestly it doesn’t need it.

I figure if the house does not sell after the 6 month contract ends, we will take it off the market (November), reorder our firewood ( lol!) and then put it back up in spring. Or maybe try to sell it ourselves during the winter months. Throw it on Craig’s List or whatever just for ha ha’s.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
That’s great! Yes- that is the way I see it. Take some money off the price.

Another way to do it if it is legal in your area is not to take money off the price but rather agree to give buyer a check after closing to handle repairs, upgrades or whatever. This gives the buyer flexibility as to timing things he wants to do...

George

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
Maybe it depends in the area, but in DC/VA houses that need fixes but get rebates for carpet, etc. still sell for much less not even taking into account the credit back. And they tend to sit on the market longer. Realtors say no one wants a project.
FWIW I’d still make at least 3 br if septic will be ok. A 3br+ should appraise higher for comps. And buyers will likely look at comps before touring and also important to qualify for mortgage.
If it’s in a family area, buyers might not even look at a2br house. I would not want to close out a large sector of potential buyers.
Adding a non-load bearing wall is not an expensive remodel. I’d do that before redoing a bathroom.
If you don’t have to sell, you could try as a 2br and then take off market in winter alter to 3 br and relist next spring. Imho. Good luck.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Maybe it depends in the area, but in DC/VA houses that need fixes but get rebates for carpet, etc. still sell for much less not even taking into account the credit back. And they tend to sit on the market longer. Realtors say no one wants a project.
FWIW I’d still make at least 3 br if septic will be ok. A 3br+ should appraise higher for comps. And buyers will likely look at comps before touring and also important to qualify for mortgage.
If it’s in a family area, buyers might not even look at a2br house. I would not want to close out a large sector of potential buyers.
Adding a non-load bearing wall is not an expensive remodel. I’d do that before redoing a bathroom.
If you don’t have to sell, you could try as a 2br and then take off market in winter alter to 3 br and relist next spring. Imho. Good luck.

We do not even need to put the wall up because the big room can be used as a bedroom. It has two closets, 4 windows, 2 giant skylights and barn doors at the entrance. And so can the downstairs study.

am1

TUG Member
Reaction score
If no one wants any kind of project they should not be buying a house. We bought this place brand new and have been doing projects from day 1.

Do you want projects at your next place?

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
If no one wants any kind of project they should not be buying a house. We bought this place brand new and have been doing projects from day 1.

I hear ya. We've been in our 'new' house that we built for 5 years now. Still working on projects. Right now recycling old bowling alley into the basement bar. Then converting more bowling alley into a regulation shuffleboard table for the basement bar. Then.... That's just the inside stuff.

p.s. My DH is afraid to retire(4 years-ish) because of what I will come up with for him to do.:p