• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott making it impossible to buy/sell resales

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Willow Ridge (x2), Ko Olina week 51 (x3) & 52(x2)
I hear your rant. Sadly, I think arrogance across the timeshare industry comes from the belief that since you signed on the dotted line agreeing to them changing terms at anytime, they feel anything goes.

They don’t care if you feel it’s a gouge because if you don’t like it, you can try to rid yourself of it and the next guy pays whatever they want.

They don’t care that they are priced out of reason because you locked yourself in.

It almost feels like once you sign the papers, the bare butt caning begins...year after year.

In my view, greed and this attitude will destroy the timeshare concept if it continues.

I don't think it is as simple as you have put it but in some respects yes, once you buy it, you're locked in. Not any different from buying a house and once you do, its yours. If the maintenance costs go up, it is an added cost. If it becomes un-affordable in your eyes, then really all you can do is try to sell.

The fees have been going up about 3-4% for most resorts and I would expect that to be normal. Timesharing is not for everyone and if this doesn't suit you, then its time to sell. I think it is important to keep in mind that these companies, like every other business, is in it to make money and you seemed surprised that they are making money off of you. They're certainly not going to do it for free. You don't work for free, so you expect them to ? If they don't make money, they go out of business and then your timeshares are in limbo if no one is operating it.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
I don't think it is as simple as you have put it but in some respects yes, once you buy it, you're locked in. Not any different from buying a house and once you do, its yours. If the maintenance costs go up, it is an added cost. If it becomes un-affordable in your eyes, then really all you can do is try to sell.

The fees have been going up about 3-4% for most resorts and I would expect that to be normal. Timesharing is not for everyone and if this doesn't suit you, then its time to sell. I think it is important to keep in mind that these companies, like every other business, is in it to make money and you seemed surprised that they are making money off of you. They're certainly not going to do it for free. You don't work for free, so you expect them to ? If they don't make money, they go out of business and then your timeshares are in limbo if no one is operating it.

I agree with you. If you don’t like the increased fees, reduction of benefits or any other changes or adjustments, you need to get out.

You signed a contract stating they can change terms at anytime so live with it or get out.

My main point is if they get greedy, people will get out at some point and this could harm the timeshare industry as a whole.

Making money is good and I’m all for that. My problem with timeshares is getting out is harder unlike selling your house or just going somewhere else to do business because timeshares are harder to get out of. In other words, If you don’t agree, pulling the plug is challenging. In the house example, you are not needing to lose 90 percent plus of what you paid to get out.

Yes, I rent only because I hate being locked in and enjoy choice. I do respect those who own and love it. Different strokes, different folks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My main point is if they get greedy, people will get out at some point and this could harm the timeshare industry as a whole.

Making money is good and I’m all for that. My problem with timeshares is getting out is harder unlike selling your house or just going somewhere else to do business because timeshares are harder to get out of. In the house example, you are not needing to lose 90 percent plus of what you paid to get out.

Yes, I rent only because I hate being locked in and enjoy choice. I do respect those who own and love it. Different strokes, different folks.

If the fees were going up 15-20% I would agree, but I think my household costs go up by 3-4% every year as well.

In terms of the house, I would beg to differ as in some markets, the bottom has fallen out of the housing market and it is not uncommon to hear that someone's mortgage is upside down, losing all of their equity. It has happened and will happen again.

For some, renting works out better for them and there is nothing wrong with that if that gets you what you want.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree with you. If you don’t like the increased fees, reduction of benefits or any other changes or adjustments, you need to get out.

You signed a contract stating they can change terms at anytime so live with it or get out.

Making money is good and I’m all for that. My problem with timeshares is getting out is harder unlike selling your house or just going somewhere else to do business because timeshares are harder to get out of. In other words, If you don’t agree, pulling the plug is challenging. In the house example, you are not needing to lose 90 percent plus of what you paid to get out.

Fees are based on real costs plus a % for management, not greed. Back when housing prices were going down as much as 50% we still saw fee increases in the range we're seeing them now. There were some savings on the management side as contractors were more desperate but not as much as you'd think.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
The term value is subjective. Where one says its value, the other will say “its too much” or greedy.

Those that believe the costs are too high should simply sell and move on.

If the majority of owners are satisfied with the fees and benefits, the delinquency rates will be very low. If not, they go up. If the market determines fees are too high, buyers will dry up.

In the end, its the owners overall that make that decision and act accordingly.

Its a balancing act.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The term value is subjective. Where one says its value, the other will say “its too much” or greedy.

Those that believe the costs are too high should simply sell and move on.

If the majority of owners are satisfied with the fees and benefits, the delinquency rates will be very low. If not, they go up. If the market determines fees are too high, buyers will dry up.

In the end, its the owners overall that make that decision and act accordingly.

Its a balancing act.

To a degree but in reality timeshares are generally sold not bought. Market forces don't fit very well into Timeshares for several reasons including that they are a fringe item much like a collectible.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
To a degree but in reality timeshares are generally sold not bought. Market forces don't fit very well into Timeshares for several reasons including that they are a fringe item much like a collectible.

I think they do. As one board member of a resort said

If the Owners aren’t happy, the bills don’t get paid

If the bills don’t get paid, the resort dies.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I think they do. As one board member of a resort said

If the Owners aren’t happy, the bills don’t get paid

If the bills don’t get paid, the resort dies.

It's not that they don't apply but that they do not function very efficiently with timeshares.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club

Don't you think that your observations and complaints have been the case for years, even decades. 25 years ago, when MF were a fraction of what they are today, I'm guessing the owners bitched about the MF just as they do today. And they'll be doing it 25 years from now. Human nature. Nonetheless, there is an active market for some of the most expensive timeshares. I wish they were less. But they are FAR less than what it would cost me for a week with a comparable room at a comparable location (I'm in Maui, oceanfront, 2-BR). Heck, I paid $1300/nt for an OF room at the St. Regis in Princeville. And I paid about $350 the other night for an Embassy Suites 1-bed studio in Sacramento. The rental for my Maui room is about 2-2.5x my MF.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
But in 20 years, everything else will be more expensive too, and salaries will grow as well. You can't just look at maintenance fees in isolation. What you need to compare is how fast maintenance fees rise versus hotel rooms and condo rentals. If maintenance fees rise faster, then owning becomes less advantageous. If they rise at similar rates, then the basic relationship remains unchanged.
Of course in an economic downturn, hotel rates will almost always drop. However, MF increases don't skip a beat and usually increase faster because of the increasing number of defaults.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Don't you think that your observations and complaints have been the case for years, even decades. 25 years ago, when MF were a fraction of what they are today, I'm guessing the owners bitched about the MF just as they do today. And they'll be doing it 25 years from now. Human nature. Nonetheless, there is an active market for some of the most expensive timeshares. I wish they were less. But they are FAR less than what it would cost me for a week with a comparable room at a comparable location (I'm in Maui, oceanfront, 2-BR). Heck, I paid $1300/nt for an OF room at the St. Regis in Princeville. And I paid about $350 the other night for an Embassy Suites 1-bed studio in Sacramento. The rental for my Maui room is about 2-2.5x my MF.

Yes. People always complain on things. The way to know when MFs are over the top is when owners act by not paying in droves forcing the resort to either recalibrate or die.

Talk will always be there. Its when it turns to people refusing to pay in good numbers is when it becomes a problem.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Of course in an economic downturn, hotel rates will almost always drop. However, MF increases don't skip a beat and usually increase faster because of the increasing number of defaults.

...which results in the resort possibly dying.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Yes. People always complain on things. The way to know when MFs are over the top is when owners act by not paying in droves forcing the resort to either recalibrate or die.

Talk will always be there. Its when it turns to people refusing to pay in good numbers is when it becomes a problem.

Exactly. Fair market value operating as it should.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

Yep, because hotel rates have a demand/market driven component (in addition to costs), whereas maintenance fees are basically cost pass through, and many costs still go up, even in a downturn, and as you noted with defaults, some costs go up dramatically.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

True, but in a strong economy, hotels and resorts can increase rents by as much as the traffic will bear.

The most accurate way of comparing the two (% changes in MF's to % changes in hotel rates) is to measure the relative change over a full economic cycle.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
True, but in a strong economy, hotels and resorts can increase rents by as much as the traffic will bear.

The most accurate way of comparing the two (% changes in MF's to % changes in hotel rates) is to measure the relative change over a full economic cycle.

To me, you pay a higher rate of rent in good times but you can stop renting at anytime. Even though the cost is higher, the price you pay is in lieu of being locked in year after year.

Although it could be argued that one benefits from owning a timeshare when times are good because their MFs gradually rise versus spike rent, they get smoked when the economy sours. Why? The guy who rented and has less resources in a downturn can simply stop vacationing and thus stop the costs. An MF owner keeps getting the bills that are rising regardless of whether they still have a job or not. They are also left with 2 options if the MFs are killing them. They can either attempt to sell which is harder in an economic downturn or stop paying the MF. Unlike the renter, they could face credit destruction from the pending foreclosure. We saw a huge spike of defaults in 2008 coupled with some MFs going to the moon as a result to support the rising defaults.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
To me, you pay a higher rate of rent in good times but you can stop renting at anytime. Even though the cost is higher, the price you pay is in lieu of being locked in year after year.

Although it could be argued that one benefits from owning a timeshare when times are good because their MFs gradually rise versus spike rent, they get smoked when the economy sours. Why? The guy who rented and has less resources in a downturn can simply stop vacationing and thus stop the costs. An MF owner keeps getting the bills that are rising regardless of whether they still have a job or not. They are also left with 2 options if the MFs are killing them. They can either attempt to sell which is harder in an economic downturn or stop paying the MF. Unlike the renter, they could face credit destruction from the pending foreclosure. We saw a huge spike of defaults in 2008 coupled with some MFs going to the moon as a result to support the rising defaults.

Sometimes I wonder if any of you actually use your timeshare for, like, a vacation. I purchased mine to almost force me to go to Hawaii for a few weeks every year. I'm not even sure how to value that. But I know it's not via MF costs.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I wonder if any of you actually use your timeshare for, like, a vacation. I purchased mine to almost force me to go to Hawaii for a few weeks every year. I'm not even sure how to value that. But I know it's not via MF costs.
Let me see. Since you've been a member of TUG (around 2 years), I've had the following trips using timeshares that I recall off the top of my head.

HH trip with 51 people
  1. 3 week HI trip 15 people
  2. Aruba 4 couples
  3. 9 days St. Augustine/Daytona 2 couples
  4. A number of long weekends St. Augustine, Destin, Panama City Beach.
  5. Disney on property X2 with immediate family
  6. Gatlinburg 4 couples
  7. Longboat Key, Naples, Marco Island & back to St. Pete beach 2 weeks

Upcoming already booked or exchange matched
  1. HH - 50-56 people
  2. LV - 2 couples
  3. HH 2020 also large group
But IMO one must pay attention to the $$$ cost and risk as well as the other benefits, risk and aggravations. Timeshares have allowed me to do things I could not have done otherwise. For those trips I have previously or will cover all of the accommodations including 3 HHI trips to Grande Ocean with 9-10 villas. When you say "forced" I assume it's something you want to do and the timeshares reminds you to do so routinely.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I think sometimes that many individuals here have no clue as to the HOW or WHY we timeshare owners do things.
While touting "renting" they might be missing the point that we all rented for many years before we delved
into the timeshare world........Do they for one second think we didn't? Or that as empty-nesters we still don't at all?
But most of us abandoned renting because we wanted more, and we got more and will continue to get more.
A 2 or 3BR condo will always be superior to a hotel room.

(I am not ignorant of the various options out there---we use Airbnbs, too, for select trips like Italy this past October,
but they can be more uncertain and ill-defined, and the potential
for huge disappointments are always present. Thankfully, due to my homework, we had a fantastic experience.
With timeshares, though, to a high degree we know exactly what we're walking in to.
We also use hotel stays during the year, but the costs limit the time tremendously....say for instance
our upcoming October trips to the Omni Mount Washington Resort in New Hampshire and our stay at the
Woodstock Inn in Woodstock Vermont, and accompanied by some time in Boston using Rewards Points.
The cost for those are close to prohibitive, but something we wanted to do.
The point is, timeshares more than meet our needs for most adventures, but not always.
We still have a limited but parallel life in the "renters' world", but it continues to show its frequently oppressive financial side.)

Dean, my new hero, just presented a long list of impressive plans, quite a notch above most, but not so far removed from
what many timeshare owners are experiencing (and can arrange) month after month and year after year.
The naysayers don't often hear or know about what all we have at our disposal, i.e., deals that a renter
cannot pull off. The further we timeshare owners go over time, the lower the costs
(we basically travel now on maintenance fees only), but the renters' graphs continually trend upward.

Our MF graphs also follow a similar path but at a lower cost, and yes, they must go up, understood,
but have you seen the hotel rates lately, even the mid-level and lower-level brands?
We had wonderful vacations in hotels before timeshares, but they cannot compare with what we've had
over the past 20 years for our families, not to mention the amazing destinations we've visited more easily
"in the system" since we used our timeshares.
I honestly think the haters shout much louder than those who are enjoying life quietly via
quality timeshare-related vacations.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dean, my new hero, just presented a long list of impressive plans, quite a notch above most, but not so far removed from
what many timeshare owners are experiencing (and can arrange) month after month and year after year.
The naysayers don't often hear or know about what all we have at our disposal, i.e., deals that a renter
cannot pull off. The further we timeshare owners go over time, the lower the costs
(we basically travel now on maintenance fees only), but the renters' graphs continually trend upward.
The the best part is we're at HHI no less, obviously one of your favorites. What I often tell people is timeshares don't save me money but they allow me to do things I could not do otherwise for a controlled cost.

Marty, one thing you referenced (if I read it correctly), but didn't expand on, is this. If you are well educated and proactive (both up front and ongoing) you can often do very well with timeshares. The reverse, not so much. So if you are educated before buying, make good choices, learn the system and plan ahead; one can do very well. If you buy retail, don't learn the system, are passive, don't plan ahead and miss deadlines, timeshares will not be a blessing. It's very much a me against them system and Marriott is no different. For example, I have 10 units at MGO this summer and next for a high demand week. That's 7 units from weeks inventory and 3 from points inventory not available to others and next year 9 from weeks (already reserved) and hopefully 1 or 2 from points but the reservation window hasn't yet opened for the week in question. That's what makes TUG so great is the willingness to share even though sharing might have some negatives for those that are well educated otherwise though much of that education will come from TUG or similar.

Quadmaniac

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I would probably say is the amount I have saved way way outweighs the potential risk of being locked into my timeshares. There is no way I could travel for $700-900 a week in Hawaii at the Marriott or Westin in a 2 br unit. Multiply that by the number of weeks I have gone and I am in positive vs renting for many years. This does not include the money I make from renting the weeks I own out as they're specific holiday weeks that are in high demand. I travel for free every year now and make money from them. Taking into consideration the flights and costs while I am there, I would bet I break even if I take those costs into account. Timeshares have been the best thing for me thus far owning. It's all about understanding the system and working with it. Those who fail to take the time to truly look into the ins and outs miss out, will result in complaints that the system doesn't work.

The maintenance fees are what they are. I don't see them as being unreasonable.

Last edited:

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
Although I respect those who choose the timeshare lifestyle, I too have learned over the years not to get locked in. I agree TUG is a great platform to learn. No, I’m not a hater of timeshares. Many of the resorts are beautiful places. I just simply enjoy the freedom to base my trips on price. Just for comparison, here is where I have stayed this past winter with costs.

1. September 14 to 21. Maui Ocean Club. A last minute rental on TUG. 2 bedroom, ocean front. Cost 800.00

2. Puerto Vallarta November 12 to 21. Stayed at friendly Vallarta. Cost 1100.00 all in. This included flights, all meals, drinks, airport transfer and ocean front room.

3. Las Vegas January 10 to 15. Airbnb. 2 bedroom condo. 3 blocks from strip. 200.00

4. Hono Kona Lahaina Hawaii. February 18-25. Rented the week for 600.00 on redweek. 2 bedroom ocean front.

I have read many different threads of owners here loving their weeks in awesome resorts and sharing their experiences. Those are the threads I enjoy the most. It’s wonderful to see others enjoying life.

So, I don’t think it’s educated versus uneducated. I personally don’t hate timeshares. I just prefer to rent as I believe with careful planning I can do better than owning.

When I do rent a timeshare, I enjoy talking to the community of owners as well. They are wonderful people. That is another reason I joined TUG.

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
It all depends on why you are travelling.

If what you want is vacations always at some place new, and have absolutely no time constraints, then grabbing bargains is the way to go.

If, on the other hand, you are like me, and want a surrogate second home for a month at a block at a particular location, with no moving from week to week, then owning is the only way to be able to do that consistently.

Fredflintstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Rent only
It all depends on why you are travelling.

If what you want is vacations always at some place new, and have absolutely no time constraints, then grabbing bargains is the way to go.

If, on the other hand, you are like me, and want a surrogate second home for a month at a block at a particular location, with no moving from week to week, then owning is the only way to be able to do that consistently.

Yes, some folks like consistency and predictability and in that case, owning makes total sense.