• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Bonvoy point value

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
I know this is asked regularly, including by me previously. What is the current “value” I thought it was a about 10c per point, but follow “Head for Points” who values at 0.50 GBP which is about 0.57€ and 0.63$? I find it helpful to know for working out hotel values with Bonvoy points!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I know this is asked regularly, including by me previously. What is the current “value” I thought it was a about 10c per point, but follow “Head for Points” who values at 0.50 GBP which is about 0.57€ and 0.63$? I find it helpful to know for working out hotel values with Bonvoy points!

Possibly, the most comprehensive, updated source is the monthly valuation of all Loyalty points by the Points Guy
For May 2019, Bonvoy Points show as 0.8 cents
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/monthly-valuations/
Also for anyone who may not have seen it yet, the Points Guy has a useful new website and newsletter targetted at European residents (well UK, but definitely more relevant for all those of us on this side of the pond)
https://thepointsguy.co.uk

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Historically it's been judged to be around 1¢ not 10¢ but as Barry notes it's a little under that now.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
So far in this thread we have $.10, $.63, $.80. And then Dean correctly referenced that it is actually $.008.

It all depends on how you use them but you will rarely get over $.02. I tend to not use points unless I am getting at the very least $.01.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
Possibly, the most comprehensive, updated source is the monthly valuation of all Loyalty points by the Points Guy
For May 2019, Bonvoy Points show as $0.80
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/monthly-valuations/
Also for anyone who may not have seen it yet, the Points Guy has a useful new website and newsletter targetted at European residents (well UK, but definitely more relevant for all those of us on this side of the pond)
https://thepointsguy.co.uk

Oh will have a look! Thanks Barry.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Correct of course (earlier post edited)

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Marriott Bonvoy points are worth about 0.7 CENTS each ($0.007), not $0.70. Here is a good valuation:

https://onemileatatime.com/how-much-are-marriott-points-worth/

This article is a very comprehensive analysis of Marriott Bonvoy points. thanks for posting it.

Looked at another way, using my Chase Marriott VISA card for everyday purchases at 2x points/ $ spent, I am essentially receiving 1.4% “ cash back” in Marriott spend. I’m ok with that unless I am spending on dining or travel items where I use my chase Sapphire Reserve VISA card at 3x points/ dollar spent converted to Chase Ultimate rewards at 1.5 x value for travel redemption or 4.5% value back.

We’re making the purchases anyway, so why not get the best bang for our buck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

CA Richard

TUG Member
Reaction score
This article is a very comprehensive analysis of Marriott Bonvoy points. thanks for posting it.

Looked at another way, using my Chase Marriott VISA card for everyday purchases at 2x points/ $ spent, I am essentially receiving 1.4% “ cash back” in Marriott spend. I’m ok with that unless I am spending on dining or travel items where I use my chase Sapphire Reserve VISA card at 3x points/ dollar spent converted to Chase Ultimate rewards at 1.5 x value for travel redemption or 4.5% value back.

We’re making the purchases anyway, so why not get the best bang for our buck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Luvtoride,

A little off topic of the original post, but I have a suggestion for you. I also have those same two Chase cards, but I only use the Marriott card for 6x points for Marriott stays and my Maintenance Fees, the Sapphire Reserve for all other travel and dining, and a third Chase Card, the Freedom Unlimited, for my everyday spending. The Freedom Unlimited gives 1.5x on all spend, and you can easily add the points you earn to your Sapphire Reserve to redeem for travel, effectively giving you 2.25% back on everyday spend, a little better value than using the Marriott card for everyday spend. These are the three cards I carry in my wallet, and I find them quite easy and effective to use. As you said, “the most bang for the buck!”

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
We manage our Bonvoy points to $0.01. If we can get at least $0.01 we use points (Ritz Carlton Lake Oconee $499 per night for 5 nights @ 200,000 points) otherwise we pay cash. We were fortunate to get the W Maldives booked in August last year after the SPG merger (April 2019 vacation) for 1,020,000 over the water villa for 15 nights. It's going for 2.5MM points now for a room that cost $1,250 per night.

I would like to here from others where we have the opportunity to get greater than $0.01 per point.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge,Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau;Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms; WKORV-OF (2),Westin Desert Willow.
To me, those points are the bottom of the barrel. I have a lot of points and have really seen few ways to use them. I will keep building them little by little, so I don't lose them, and then maybe I will find a place worthy of the points. It's been a difficult transition for us from SPG.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
For me it’s if I see a hotel room is 25000 points or 221€, I was assuming the 25000 points was the same as 250€ thus making the cash price better value.

Right now looking at a 2 night stay for 50.000 points so what would that be in euros?

Last edited:

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
To me, those points are the bottom of the barrel. I have a lot of points and have really seen few ways to use them. I will keep building them little by little, so I don't lose them, and then maybe I will find a place worthy of the points. It's been a difficult transition for us from SPG.

I agree. I never exchange for them.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
Luvtoride,

A little off topic of the original post, but I have a suggestion for you. I also have those same two Chase cards, but I only use the Marriott card for 6x points for Marriott stays and my Maintenance Fees, the Sapphire Reserve for all other travel and dining, and a third Chase Card, the Freedom Unlimited, for my everyday spending. The Freedom Unlimited gives 1.5x on all spend, and you can easily add the points you earn to your Sapphire Reserve to redeem for travel, effectively giving you 2.25% back on everyday spend, a little better value than using the Marriott card for everyday spend. These are the three cards I carry in my wallet, and I find them quite easy and effective to use. As you said, “the most bang for the buck!”

So lucky, in Europe we can’t get any cards to use like this!

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's the way I've tended to use them as well, unfortunately holding them through several devaluations might have not been the best choice.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
So for a 2 night stay of 50.000 what value would you give that?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
So for a 2 night stay of 50.000 what value would you give that?

You'd compare to the discounted cash price of AAA or member price or similar and possibly to the pay in advance price for some situations. Easy to do, when you search using points it gives yo some of the prices like the regular and member price. You could go back and search for any applicable discount prices like AAA, Corporate, Senior or Military. If you wanted to go a step further, you could look at priceline or similar. I just booked 2 rooms at a Westin 4 star but I booked them separately. The first room I got by bidding on priceline and it came in about 1/3¢ pp, the second room I booked on points (original option wasn't available) and it's returning about 3/4¢ pp.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
You'd compare to the discounted cash price of AAA or member price or similar and possibly to the pay in advance price for some situations. Easy to do, when you search using points it gives yo some of the prices like the regular and member price. You could go back and search for any applicable discount prices like AAA, Corporate, Senior or Military. If you wanted to go a step further, you could look at priceline or similar. I just booked 2 rooms at a Westin 4 star but I booked them separately. The first room I got by bidding on priceline and it came in about 1/3¢ pp, the second room I booked on points (original option wasn't available) and it's returning about 3/4¢ pp.

Ye price showing as 803€ for the two nights, slightly less with AAA. On external sites about 750+. How do you bid on Priceline, never heard of that?

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Ye price showing as 803€ for the two nights, slightly less with AAA. On external sites about 750+. How do you bid on Priceline, never heard of that?

I don't know how it would work from Europe and my explanation might be a little convoluted if you're not familiar but here goes. Priceline has 3 price/reservation options and you can specify the area, usually down to a small subset of the location. One is just a regular reservation much like Expedia or travelocity. The second is an express deal where they show you the star rating and give you an idea of their internal rating (1-10) and an idea of the number of reviews. And lastly, the bidding option. For an express deal for example say it's a 4 star with 1573 reviews and an average review rating of 8.7, the express deal might list 4 star, at least 1500 reviews and a rating "above 8.5". Of course you don't know the hotel for the express deal but you can often figure it out. Bidding is even less specific but given the specifics of the location and fact there were only four 4 star options for the exact area with the express deal being so much cheaper than everything else and obviously the Westin, I just bid a few $$$ lower than the express deal. Had it been a different 4 start of the 4 it would have been fine and frankly, might have been even better plus I think 3 of the 4 were Marriott oriented products.

As I noted, you can specify the area down to a small location, for example for Orlando there are almost 30 areas. There is also at least one site that tends to track bidding where people post the deals they got as well as the hotels that are in a grouping, biddingfortravel.com. You can only bid once every 24 hours on a specific option but if you add an area or add a lower star rating you can bid again. And I used that for the above example. The area I wanted was the only one of about 10 that had 4 star hotels so I just kept adding areas and increasing the bid in $1 increments until it matched which was a few $$$ below the express deal price and a little over half the open price. When we found out we needed a second room the price was almost double which is why I went with the points reservation. I got the 4 star Westin at under $90 a night though there will be a resort fee extra.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
As someone said, it depends on how you use them. For example, I can book Marriott 7 Mile Beach, Grand Cayman for 320,000 pts, or 240,000 pts plus $500. $500 to save 80,000 pts puts the value at $0.00625. That's the ballpark I use, since I used to value my StarPoints at 2 cents, and they were worth exactly 3 times as much as the Marriott's.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed in a room for a funeral recently and it was $240 cash at AAA rate or 12,500 points. Plus I used suite night upgrades to get both rooms 2BR. It is little things like that, that make the value for me much higher than $.008, or whatever.

Like others have posted, I will always pay the cash rate if the value is less than $.01, and sometimes higher depending on the property and points rebate.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I treat Bonvoy points as 1 cent and have been able to book hotel stays for more than that. For instance, we just booked Lido House for 200K points for 5 nights but it would have cost $3K for the stay, making it 1.5 cents per point.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
I don't know how it would work from Europe and my explanation might be a little convoluted if you're not familiar but here goes. Priceline has 3 price/reservation options and you can specify the area, usually down to a small subset of the location. One is just a regular reservation much like Expedia or travelocity. The second is an express deal where they show you the star rating and give you an idea of their internal rating (1-10) and an idea of the number of reviews. And lastly, the bidding option. For an express deal for example say it's a 4 star with 1573 reviews and an average review rating of 8.7, the express deal might list 4 star, at least 1500 reviews and a rating "above 8.5". Of course you don't know the hotel for the express deal but you can often figure it out. Bidding is even less specific but given the specifics of the location and fact there were only four 4 star options for the exact area with the express deal being so much cheaper than everything else and obviously the Westin, I just bid a few $$$ lower than the express deal. Had it been a different 4 start of the 4 it would have been fine and frankly, might have been even better plus I think 3 of the 4 were Marriott oriented products.

As I noted, you can specify the area down to a small location, for example for Orlando there are almost 30 areas. There is also at least one site that tends to track bidding where people post the deals they got as well as the hotels that are in a grouping, biddingfortravel.com. You can only bid once every 24 hours on a specific option but if you add an area or add a lower star rating you can bid again. And I used that for the above example. The area I wanted was the only one of about 10 that had 4 star hotels so I just kept adding areas and increasing the bid in $1 increments until it matched which was a few $$$ below the express deal price and a little over half the open price. When we found out we needed a second room the price was almost double which is why I went with the points reservation. I got the 4 star Westin at under $90 a night though there will be a resort fee extra.

Thanks for the explanation. Will have a look into it and see if I can sign up or only for US residents. If you book Marriott through a 3rd party do you still get all the perks of your status?

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation. Will have a look into it and see if I can sign up or only for US residents. If you book Marriott through a 3rd party do you still get all the perks of your status?

You may want to review this thread https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...reward-number-to-ii-marriott-exchange.285379/

I've never had a problem doing so with II exchanges and only done so with priceline bidding reservations at the resort until recently. The Westin I mentioned I could not add my rewards number online but I could pull up the reservation when I searched for it. So I emailed Rewards to see about getting the number added but was told since it was a third party I couldn't and it wasn't eligible for perks. I planned to call the resort as we got closer and see if I could add it because otherwise I couldn't check in online or use my phone as a key. But when I got the second room I got a welcome email from the resort and when I responded we had 2, they added the rewards number and upgraded both rooms on the spot plus they acknowledged the suite request for the points room.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
You may want to review this thread https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...reward-number-to-ii-marriott-exchange.285379/

I've never had a problem doing so with II exchanges and only done so with priceline bidding reservations at the resort until recently. The Westin I mentioned I could not add my rewards number online but I could pull up the reservation when I searched for it. So I emailed Rewards to see about getting the number added but was told since it was a third party I couldn't and it wasn't eligible for perks. I planned to call the resort as we got closer and see if I could add it because otherwise I couldn't check in online or use my phone as a key. But when I got the second room I got a welcome email from the resort and when I responded we had 2, they added the rewards number and upgraded both rooms on the spot plus they acknowledged the suite request for the points room.

I used two weeks in II for hotel exchanges and when I called the hotel they confirmed the reservations but they said it was impossible to add my rewards number and get credit for the stays.