• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

How do you pack for a vacation?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I hoard travel-sized toiletries. I have bins in my walk-in closet of shampoo, conditioner, body wash, etc. They are souvenirs from various trips. These full bins will outlive me, I'm sure. ;) I am good about replenishing the bags as needed, so they are always filled with bottles that aren't "nearly empty." I find that I can usually get through a week as long as the bottle is relatively full, and I am a master of the quart-sized Ziploc Tetris bag game, usually fitting in two bottles of shampoo if needed (for example.) If I'm traveling longer, I am usually staying a least a few nights in a hotel, and am picking up more.

PS--I do go through about every year or so and donate a bunch to homeless organizations. I'm not ready for an episode of Hoarders. ;)

Me, too! I have a lot- mostly soaps and shampoos and some toothpaste. We rarely fly for vacations so they rarely get used- it's crazy. Good idea about donating.

rboesl

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure
Wow! I'm kinda amazed at how organized most of the respondents are. Maybe it's a "guy thing" (as my wife calls it) but I usually have no plan before I start. The day before I open the suitcase (carry on sized), I consider where I'm traveling to, pull a selection of clothes from the closet and dresser, put it all in packing cubes and I'm good to go. We usually travel for just 7 days at a time so I usually pack 3 days of clothes. Along with the clothes I'm wearing I'm good for 4 days with a load of laundry done mid-week and end of week to have clean clothes when I go home. Don't use much in the way of toiletries. Shampoo & soap supplied by resort/hotel is sufficient. Just need my razor, electric toothbrush, and toothpaste. Meds, chargers, and electronics (including camera) go in the backpack.

My wife, on the other hand, needs cajoling to start packing which usually reaches its peak the night before the trip. She usually has 25% of her suitcase taken up with toiletries. Most of which goes unused but "absolutely must go with in case I need it." I'm always amazed how there must be 3 different shampoo brands, multiple bars of soap, dishwasher detergent for 3-4 loads, and laundry detergent for 3-4 loads. We don't use that much when home in a week.

Once she's selected the clothes she plans on taking they're set on the bed. There's usually enough clothes for 5 or 6 days to be packed. Of which, at least, 2 days never get used. It's then up to me to make everything fit in her suitcase (also carry on sized). Her meds all go in her purse.

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I always empty out our bags after each trip, lest we forget what's in there.

To pack, less is more. I use the smallest size bag that I can get away with. After stuffing it with the minimum amount of clothes, I add add a bathing suit (maybe sandals) or a sweater. Lastly, toiletries, meds, and electronics. For flying, I have a small carry-on for my tablet, headphones & reading material.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
If driving we pack two large stackable storage boxes with all of the non-clothing stuff (food, paper/plastic goods, beverages, beach/other stuff). Wife packs too many clothes, but it isn't worth me trying to change that. I pack light.

If flying, we do the same routine, but pack the second box (paper/plastic, other) in a large suit case. Rest goes in another suit case and then two carry on bags.

I pack the day before every time. If driving, I pack the car the night before.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Shampoo & soap supplied by resort/hotel is sufficient.
Where do you stay at timeshares where the shampoo and soap are replenished? Hotels yes, but even there sometimes the soap isn't replaced daily, and sometimes they have a combination shampoo/conditioner. And if you rent a vacation house, many times there is nothing. Luckily I've thought to bring a bar of soap in these instances.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Here is how I packed in my carry on for the few days (3 nights) we will be in NH. It would look pretty much the same for 7 or even 14 days, except maybe I would engage the depth zipper to stick a couple of more shirts in.
IMG_1710.jpg

Notice how the pants fold over the shirts and other articles of clothing keeping everything compact and neat.( I do not roll anything up). Then I will use the buckle once I am ready to close it up.

I have nothing in the outer compartments, but on a plane trip I would have things like paperwork and a few other items in them.

elaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Eagles Nest, DVC-AKV, HHI
If it’s a US destination, esp if timeshare, I also just throw some stuff in the suitcase. If it’s more of a specialty trip, such as hiking, photography, etc. or to Europe then I need to check off my list.
I’m gonna get some cubes. Also tired of rummaging through suitcase to find stuff.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Where do you stay at timeshares where the shampoo and soap are replenished? Hotels yes, but even there sometimes the soap isn't replaced daily, and sometimes they have a combination shampoo/conditioner. And if you rent a vacation house, many times there is nothing. Luckily I've thought to bring a bar of soap in these instances.

You just go ask the maid when she is cleaning another room, or if you are a lousy so and so you can just take it from the cart. Same with laundry detergent. It's nice to tip and then you usually get more than you need.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I understand. But people are saying the toiletries are always in their carryons from the last trip. They must run out I would think after one trip.

Even Worldmark provides shampoo now ( for our first 15 years with them they didn't), and we aren't picky, so we just use what is provided at timeshares or hotels. And I always have an extra tiny conditioner packed for those places that offer shampoo only. It only takes a tiny dab to do our short hair. Our dentist gives us tiny toothpastes, and we go 8 times a year if we aren't dragged back in for cavities, so several of those are always in the toiletries bag.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Even Worldmark provides shampoo now ( for our first 15 years with them they didn't), and we aren't picky, so we just use what is provided at timeshares or hotels. And I always have an extra tiny conditioner packed for those places that offer shampoo only. It only takes a tiny dab to do our short hair. Our dentist gives us tiny toothpastes, and we go 8 times a year if we aren't dragged back in for cavities, so several of those are always in the toiletries bag.

We have a zillion toothbrushes from the dentist. But we use electric toothbrushes and usually take them on vacation.

For a short few days trip I would just use a regular toothbrush (have them in our timeshare box) but hubby refuses and ends up taking his. Since he takes the charger anyway, then I end up taking my electric toothbrush also.

Sometimes our son might forget his toothbrush when he visits us at the timeshare but we always have a brand new spare.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Re: shoes

Best suggestion I ever got from the Rick Steves boards ( well second best after panty liners) is black athletic shoes. No one is looking at the shoes a 63 year old woman has on her feet under her black dress slacks, so they are just fine for fancy meals or nights at the ballet. In the US I don't bring a second pair of shoes besides flip flops. If we are going to Europe I feel I need a second pair of shoes in case first pair gets wet or I have a blister which would appreciate a change of shoes. Then I bring black casual slip ons that also make it easy to take shoes off for sleeping on the plane over and back.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Best suggestion I ever got from the Rick Steves boards ( well second best after panty liners) is black athletic shoes. No one is looking at the shoes a 63 year old woman has on her feet under her black dress slacks, so they are just fine for fancy meals or nights at the ballet. In the US I don't bring a second pair of shoes besides flip flops. If we are going to Europe I feel I need a second pair of shoes in case first pair gets wet or I have a blister which would appreciate a change of shoes. Then I bring black casual slip ons that also make it easy to take shoes off for sleeping on the plane over and back.

I've been doing that for years at work!

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
You just go ask the maid when she is cleaning another room, or if you are a lousy so and so you can just take it from the cart. Same with laundry detergent. It's nice to tip and then you usually get more than you need.
Well, that assumes you see the maid, and/or the cart. I think I'll just continue to bring my own. I like it much better than what they usually provide at hotels anyway.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
How do you guys keep toiletries in your carryons at all times when you can only take small sizes to begin with? Don't you run out of them after a week or so?

Do you re purchase more when you get home and just restock them in the carry on?

I know that we end up buying bigger sizes of one or two things when we get to our destination and then have to throw the rest out when we leave because they do not meet the airline criteria for carry on.

I take out any that need using before I might travel again. Some of the ones I keep ready to go can be refilled from my larger bottles at home. Others I re-purchase. Some I just have to do without. With skin care, I throw in whatever little sample packs or bottles I get. It doesn't seem as if the airline security is being as stringent on taking them out of my bag when going through security but then I have been getting TSA Pre-check lately on my flights.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I have been traveling with these Ecco shoes for years: https://us.ecco.com/ecco-felicia-stretch-21704351052.html?dwvar_21704351052_color=51052#start=1 I have them in black and navy. They are so comfortable that I can wear them all day and night, every day. They are soft and have no seams to rub blisters and they wipe clean with a damp cloth. They are somewhat water proof too. They have great support for my feet. Under long pants, they look like I'm wearing boots. I do take a pair of ballet flats for dressier wear and a pair of flip flops for pool or slippers.

Last edited:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We fly to PV 3 weeks each year with carry-on bags only, We do laundry around day 11-12. I have laundry pods for that.

Swimsuits & undies do not take a lot of space as they can compress tightly in zip-loc bags. (I do the panty liner thing too). I hang my shirts on top of one another on a hanger before folding to go into the carry-on and they do not wrinkle. I wear my "heaviest" shoes and pack beach flip-flops and some lightweight sandals. I roll hubbies t-shirts. We also take taco seasoning packets & disposable salt & pepper shakers in Yeti 30oz tumblers.

We do not go out to "dress-up" places. I generally have one nicer shirt to wear with capri pants and will wear it as much as needed. BUT, my husband says that even if we go to the same place and tip the waiter, he does not care if he has seen me in the same outfit every day! Generally we will never see people again and have already warned family that we are on vacation and not there for a fashion show! Also there are stores!

Our electronics seem to take more space than anything! We have a plastic shoe-box in the bottom of a small duffle-bag with all the chargers, HDMI cables, portable router, 2 phones, 2 laptops and 2 Kindles, plus binoculars & camera. This is hubbies under seat carry-on. I have a Vera Bradley tote that has the toiletries, hair stuff and a change of clothes for each of us.

November 2018 was the first time that I wore everything that I took! That was my goal and I still have the list that I made for that trip. I only make a list so that I can check off that everything is in the bags.

Last edited:

Ralph Sir Edward

TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was a college student, I used to travel a weekend in a briefcase.

Now I'm old and affluent, I keep a "go bag". A wheeled carry on, with various pockets. I've also gotten very soft, I don't camp any more. . . .:D

I keep the go bag packed, that's why it's called a go bag - grab and go a drop of a hat.

Contents.

High quality music player. (Ibasso)
Ebook reader (with 2000+ book library - who knows what I may want to read)
data pack (can hold up to 36 Gigabytes if fully loaded - it isn't of course, but it can also hold a passport. it's the size of a ladies clutch purse.)
2 set of clothes. One long pants, one short pants. (I only travel to warm places voluntarily).
A small video player.
A Sony Bloggie 720P camcorder.
Charger for cell phone (non-smart), charger with several cords for charging the other electronics.
Noise cancelling headphones. 15 year old Sonys.
2 HDMI cables, one headphone to RCA cable.
1 T-shirt, 1 swimsuit.
Quart Ziplock bag with air travel size shaving cream, toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant, disposable razor. (expirables refreshed every year)
vitamins, in 2 week snap cases (x2), refreshed every year.
current rescue inhaler, just in case. (Had an asthma attack in Waikoloa - Had to get hauled to the ER, $1000 for the nebulizer. Now I pack a rescue inhaler, buy a new one every year. It hasn't been needed since. :shrug:)
Electric toothbrush/charger.
Hairbrush. (The need keeps getting less and less :D)
Oops, a pair of 8x20 compact binoculars.

Grab the bag, stuff my meds (currently one prescription) in, and boogie.

Of course, I go to timeshares that have Washer/Dryers, and buy more clothes if I need them.

When I go to Hawaii, I have everything else I might need in a 4x4x8 storage room.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have been traveling with these Ecco shoes for years: https://us.ecco.com/ecco-felicia-stretch-21704351052.html?dwvar_21704351052_color=51052#start=1 I have them in black and navy. They are so comfortable that I can wear them all day and night, every day. There are soft and have no seams to rub blisters and they wipe clean with a damp cloth. They are somewhat water proof too. They have great support for my feet. Under long pants, they look like I'm wearing boots. I do take a pair of ballet flats for dressier wear and a pair of flip flops for pool or slippers.

Those look really comfortable. I actually have a pair of shoes that is very similar to those that I got 2 years ago for under $30 at Payless and they are so darn comfortable- like wearing cushion y slippers. I should have bought 2 pairs. But so far, they have held out very well and I continue to wear them. They are not water proof though. They are light weight and for warmer weather.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
I have been traveling with these Ecco shoes for years: https://us.ecco.com/ecco-felicia-stretch-21704351052.html?dwvar_21704351052_color=51052#start=1 I have them in black and navy. They are so comfortable that I can wear them all day and night, every day. There are soft and have no seams to rub blisters and they wipe clean with a damp cloth. They are somewhat water proof too. They have great support for my feet. Under long pants, they look like I'm wearing boots. I do take a pair of ballet flats for dressier wear and a pair of flip flops for pool or slippers.
Those look good. For walking I usually do wear athletic shoes because I need a comfortable shoe with a lot of support. I'm not sure if those would be enough for me. Right now I'm trying to find another pair of shoes I can take for our trip to Chicago and NYC that I can use for dressier things, that would still be comfortable to walk in.

rboesl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Divi Village Beach & Golf Resort
Vidanta Grand Mayan
Villa del Arco Cobo
Grandview Las Vegas
Vacation Village at Bonaventure

They don't have to be replenished daily. It's only my wife & I traveling and she packs everything she uses to wash body & hair. So, having the soap & shampoo replenished mid-week is fine. But, even if we do run short a stop by the front desk usually results in fresh supplies.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Those look really comfortable. I actually have a pair of shoes that is very similar to those that I got 2 years ago for under $30 at Payless and they are so darn comfortable- like wearing cushion y slippers. I should have bought 2 pairs. But so far, they have held out very well and I continue to wear them. They are not water proof though. They are light weight and for warmer weather.

I wear the Ecco pair year round. With socks in colder weather. If anything, they are probably not for hot weather.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Those look good. For walking I usually do wear athletic shoes because I need a comfortable shoe with a lot of support. I'm not sure if those would be enough for me. Right now I'm trying to find another pair of shoes I can take for our trip to Chicago and NYC that I can use for dressier things, that would still be comfortable to walk in.

You might be surprised by the support in the Ecco. They are a walking shoe company.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
You might be surprised by the support in the Ecco. They are a walking shoe company.
I'll have to try them in my search for shoes. Thanks.

Kel

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have checklists in Excel for different types of trips (International fly trips, US fly trips, condo drive trips, RV camping trips). I don’t want to forget anything so I always use my checklists. The lists are always changing (adding items and deleting items). They are comprehensive lists and include everything from sporting equipment, beach chairs, beach towels, food to take, food to buy when we get there, sunscreen, ziplock bags, vitamins, clothes, backup glasses, travel documents, cold tablets, phone chargers, etc.

I have a checklist for toiletries and items that I carry in my backpack/overnight bag and it is always stocked/restocked and ready to go. We are traveling 5 to 6 months a year to as many as 12 different locations. I rarely forget anything anymore. My husband packs his clothes and the sporting equipment we are using on the trip (dive gear, kite surfing gear, disc golf, mountain bike, ski equipment, etc.). I pack my clothes, toiletries, food, etc.

I even have an Excel checklist for exiting the house (turn off AC, close blinds, hold mail, lock doors, turn off lights, etc.).

Once the checklists were input it made everything easy. I print a checklist before we leave and we are good to go.