• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What was your DriversED car?

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Remember your instructor?

Mine was our girls basketball and boys baseball coach, Mr. Brown.

At the end, Highway Patrol came out and we had our driving tests, and got our license. I made a point of emphasizing stuff during the test, like using the turn signal when I pulled out of the parking space to start the test. At the end, he told me I scored 99%, because I did not signal when I pulled out of the parking space.

:confused:

Then, when you see how people drive today, stuff like not turning from the inside lane to the inside lane (remember "wide turn"), or tailgating, not to mention just plain driving 90 mph, what difference does it make?

:D

sdbrier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Technically it was a ‘79 Chevy Caprice Classic, but my training started around age ten in our 2 1/2 ton grain trucks. Put on many miles in the fields and country roads looking through the steering wheel.

Timeshare Von

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
1973 Ford Galaxy 500 I believe . . . talk about a lead sled! It was Fairfax County . . . summer of 1974.

Reactions: DrQ

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I just found out that at the schools nearby in Wisconsin, students have to pay for drivers ed, and it is about $800.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I just found out that at the schools nearby in Wisconsin, students have to pay for drivers ed, and it is about $800.
That has been the case for us for the last 15 years. When I was growing up, the coaches also taught Drivers Ed and the vehicles were donated by local dealerships for a year or two.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I took drivers ed in summer school, never missed a class because I enjoyed the air conditioned trailer the driving simulator was in. As I recall the console, steering wheel and pedals were Dodge. I enjoyed the simulator movies, having to watch every parked car for a door to open or a kid to pop out chasing a ball. They also made us watch the scare movies, Signal 30, Red Asphalt, Mechanized Death.

When we finally got to drive a car it was a big Ford 4 door sedan. I think we were all terrified of merging on to the highway.

My first car was a 59 Chevy ragtop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
Driver's ED is not part of any school around here. I'm surprised that it is included in any school these days. It is all private companies, and they charge anywhere from $400-$700 when our daughter took her training a couple of years ago.

Kurt

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
1973 Ford Galaxy 500 I believe . . . talk about a lead sled! It was Fairfax County . . . summer of 1974.

Actually now thinking about . . . it was probably a Grand Torino, not a Galaxie 500.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Remember your instructor?

:D
Our was the Cross-Country coach. We lived on the edge of farming country and he would tell us to be especially careful around farm machinery on the road. He would accuse them of being seriously lacking of intellect. He told us of his uncle "stumpy" who lost several fingers on one hand by clearing a jam on a running corn picker. :eek: I didn't think much of it until I met a fishing guide who was a farmer with a prosthetic leg. He did the fishing guide job for extra money. I found out that he had lost his leg clearing a jam from a hay baler :rolleyes:.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
You don't have to tell this Iowa boy about missing appendages from farm equipment!!!!

I hated track, and I can imagine how much more I would have hated cross country. I guess I needed a ball, any sort of ball, to hold my interest. Hitting, kicking, throwing, catching, shooting, or dribbling had to be involved.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
I learned to drive on a gray Ford Tractor...while getting paid 35 cents an hour by the farmer who employed me (circa 1949). Moving up to my mother's 1938 Hudson Terraplane (3-on-the-floor) in 1951 for the 12-mile drive to High School was then a cinch.