• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

We Heard a Tap, Tap, Tapping......

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Before looking, I was thinking it might be like a tapping at my chamber door . . . only this and nothing more.

:cool:

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
For city dwelling bird watchers explore.org is fabulous. Many different bird cams. I’ve been watching the Audubon osprey cam from Maine for maybe six years now. It is so amazing how “Rachel” and “Steve” spend the winter separately in South America, and then arrive back at the nest within a few days of each other every April. They have three eggs this year. My first year of watching all three babies fledged. Several years eagles or owls got some or all of the babies. Very easy to get emotionally involved with them. My first year I sat at the computer crying as Steve left once the last of the babies headed south (Rachel leaves earlier each year trusting Steve to get the young ones on their way). Very nice community of birders on the board, too. When the bear cams from Alaska go live in July, that is another excellent way to waste time!

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Another bear in hot tub photo...

e861ccde8ec4e1e4d78ebc468add0a07

geekette

Reaction score
That must be a pretty big bath exhaust vent! We have one, but it is small and it is made with a built in screen. The only thing that gets in there are wasps and we have to spray it every year. You need to put a screen on yours or buy one with the screen already built into it.
small raccoon. never had a problem before discount roofer a few years ago but this is just one of several problems from that bad decision to save money.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Before looking, I was thinking it might be like a tapping at my chamber door . . . only this and nothing more.

:cool:

When I was in 8th Grade, I wrote a parody to the Raven:

Once upon a misty midnight,
When I flew my home-made kid kite,
People came; with me they bid fight,
Just because I flew my kid kite.

and on . . .

My English teacher, Nancy Freed, who was married to the son of one of our neighbors, was simply astonished, probably because it was so out-of-line with my obvious lack of potential.

She had it published. . . . I assume she used the royalties to retire to a condo at DEL BOCA VISTA.
- - - - - -

Unrelated, but interesting to me, I can still go up and down our street from 60 years ago, and name all the neighbors. Nancy Freed married Arnie Freed, son of Sol and Frieda Freed.

I did not know much about worldly things back then, only enough to know that they were our neighborhood Jewish family, amongst a bunch of Catholics, and others. Just searching that yesterday, and saw that Sol and Frieda were born in Russia, Sol in 1899, and it would have been interesting to know more about them.

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
Things are getting even stranger here. I believe it was a pair of turkey vultures having a date by my shed. I don't think they were a match, one left in one direction, and the other went the other direction. I was not close enough to confirm bird gender.

Please nobody post about snakes, I don't want those. No hot tub, so no bears!

I am on a weird run in life, so nothing surprises me any more. Perhaps Pete the Peacock will make a return this summer??

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
At my first home in California, I had an interesting couple who lived next door.

They had rats in their attic and came over and asked if we had rats and chased them into their home. HUH? No sightings of rats on our property, ever. Next, they had termites and asked if we had termites and destroyed them and hence they migrated to their home. HUH? We had termites when we first moved in and brought in pest control swiftly and pest control continued to have the traps to monitor. When they asked if we had caused the termite migration, this was 7 years after the last sighting of termites at our home. Then there were raccoons. We saw the family of raccoons frequently moving between 2 sides of the streets and disappearing into the drains. Our neighbors came over and asked if we had a raccoon nest in our backyard because they were constantly over at their home.

Fortunately, no bears, turkey vultures and snakes.

Last edited:

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Things are getting even stranger here. I believe it was a pair of turkey vultures having a date by my shed. I don't think they were a match, one left in one direction, and the other went the other direction. I was not close enough to confirm bird gender.

Please nobody post about snakes, I don't want those. No hot tub, so no bears!

I am on a weird run in life, so nothing surprises me any more. Perhaps Pete the Peacock will make a return this summer??

LOL!

Speaking of snakes, I wish I had the picture of the ones (yes- many-plural)- ringnecks -we had in our walls and came out into our screened in porch. Yes- we get them inside. I have to look for the one of the big milk snake that was in our dining room!

As for bears, we have had them at our terrace doors and on our ground level deck.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
LOL!

Speaking of snakes, I wish I had the picture of the ones (yes- many-plural)- ringnecks -we had in our walls and came out into our screened in porch. Yes- we get them inside. I have to look for the one of the big milk snake that was in our dining room!

As for bears, we have had them at our terrace doors and on our ground level deck.
I was going to buy your home but the snakes that get inside your home is a deal breaker! EEEEEK :p

Another sign for you... time to move!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I was going to buy your home but the snakes that get inside your home is a deal breaker! EEEEEK :p

Another sign for you... time to move!

Ha! Ha! I know crazy! Once there was a snake wrapped around the fireplace utensils! I had to do a double take!. Once in a long while we find snake skin that was shed coming out of the molding.

My husband has plugged up some areas near the baseboards and elsewhere where we suspect they came in. So we have not had this issue in a long while- except the screened porch- we know they still get in the walls from there.

What happens is if mice come into a home, the snakes will follow (food) into the walls. We now have a better handle on how mice have gotten in (mainly through the garage and into the attic) so that helps a lot.

It's been a work in progress, but we have a good handle on it.

Most people probably don't realize they have had snakes. We are on a slab so there's no hiding in a crawl space or basement.

This is how it is out in the woods. We have rock walls all over the property and snakes love those - and the wood pile.

Did I mention the bats that have flown in an open window or door? We've had it all.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Speaking of beaky, pecky birds, we have had birds that sit looking into our rear-view mirrors, pecking what they see.

Even worse, Sandhill cranes, which migrate to Florida in huge numbers, and are huge themselves, see their reflections in the side of cars, and do extensive pecking damage.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
mpumilia, according to the Commander In Chief, this is mating season for snakes.
We now have deers, wild turkeys and geese in the morning & evening. City dwellers are moving to the country. Trees are being cut down and shopping centers and residential homes are coming.

We have been using a snake powder repellent and moth balls for years to kept snakes away from our home.

geekette

Reaction score
critter update: raccoon was in trap when I looked out this morning. Trap was empty when I went out to start yard work.

Great, I had to score Houdini Raccoon.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
critter update: raccoon was in trap when I looked out this morning. Trap was empty when I went out to start yard work.

Great, I had to score Houdini Raccoon.

Wow. How did he get out? These animals are smart.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
mpumilia, according to the Commander In Chief, this is mating season for snakes.
We now have deers, wild turkeys and geese in the morning & evening. City dwellers are moving to the country. Trees are being cut down and shopping centers and residential homes are coming.

We have been using a snake powder repellent and moth balls for years to kept snakes away from our home.

Yeah. We have also used snake repellent. Also, boric acid.

Once my husband blocked what we assumed was thier entrance way in the porch and then he sprayed some snake repellent

Well- bad move on his part. The snakes were already in the wall and they all tried to get out and couldn't!- tons of them on top of each other on the porch! Small ring necks! I wish I could find that photo.

I called my friend's husband who actually likes reptiles and he came over and actually scooped them up by hand (I kid you not) and put them all in a bucket and took them far away.

I was scared, but my husband freaked out. He was white as a ghost when he saw them all!

geekette

Reaction score
Yeah. We have also used snake repellent. Also, boric acid.

Once my husband blocked what we assumed was thier entrance way in the porch and then he sprayed some snake repellent

Well- bad move on his part. The snakes were already in the wall and they all tried to get out and couldn't!- tons of them on top of each other on the porch! Small ring necks! I wish I could find that photo.

I called my friend's husband who actually likes reptiles and he came over and actually scooped them up by hand (I kid you not) and put them all in a bucket and took them far away.

I was scared, but my husband freaked out. He was white as a ghost when he saw them all!
ugh!

I don't think I could have watched.

geekette

Reaction score
Wow. How did he get out? These animals are smart.
No idea. I only hope it wasn't a buddy!

Late today I am cleaning up in the yard and happen to look up at that roof vent and I see him looking at me from inside it! Aw, darnit, he is So Cute!!! I didn't really know what to do so pretended I didn't know a thing.

I thought it might be bad to scare him while he is IN MY HOUSE looking out.

I did get to see trapped babies yesterday, they were adorable! Even tiny, they have massive claws! The tail rings are really not pronounced yet.

I have been busy planting flowers and veggies, including Marigolds (hope my memory is correct, that they will keep deer out of my veggies) , plus catnip and lavendar, which are supposed to deter mice. I have an acre and a half, woods behind, I will plant ANYTHING that will help keep invaders out of my house!!! If the raccoon lived in a tree, no problem, just stay out of my trash can. If the mice lived in the woods, no problem!

The hawks were very active today, but I did not see any mice, snakes or raccoons in their talons.

guess I will be on the lookout for snakes tomorrow....

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Late today I am cleaning up in the yard and happen to look up at that roof vent and I see him looking at me from inside it! Aw, darnit, he is So Cute!!! I didn't really know what to do so pretended I didn't know a thing.

I did get to see trapped babies yesterday, they were adorable! Even tiny, they have massive claws! The tail rings are really not pronounced yet.

I have been busy planting flowers and veggies, including Marigolds (hope my memory is correct, that they will keep deer out of my veggies) , plus catnip and lavendar, which are supposed to deter mice. I have an acre and a half, woods behind, I will plant ANYTHING that will help keep invaders out of my house!!! If the raccoon lived in a tree, no problem, just stay out of my trash can. If the mice lived in the woods, no problem!

The hawks were very active today, but I did not see any mice, snakes or raccoons in their talons.

You are mighty brave. If I were to live alone, it will be a home without yard maintenance, let alone having to deal with creatures.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

I hear ya! We used to have a mother raccoon who had an injured paw with her babies visit us every day. They were so adorable. They would hang in the tree near our deck and just watch us. After a while they did stop coming and we missed seeing them.

One thing I do not do is planting and landscaping. No digging dirt for me.

We used to fight the elements and nature but we surrendered and now leave mostly everything natural- but neat and tidy. Less expensive and certainly a lot less work.

This time of year we always have ants starting to get into the house and wasps, and all other kinds of insects. so we have to deal with that every year. I leave ant traps around. Any wasp nests we see outside, we spray.I really hate insects.

We put caps on our gutter leaders because chipmunks used to go inside them. The caps have holes to let the water go through.

For mice (besides the snakes eating them) we have finally after 31 years realized the mouse traps should be in the garage. We must have killed an entire mouse community last year (even saw a mouse in my kitchen a couple of times for the first time ever last year) and now there are no noises up in the attic.We haven't caught a single mouse this year so we have it under control. (We used to put the mouse traps and poison up in the attic since that is where we heard them. We also heard them scratching a wall in one particular closet).

But with the poison then we sometimes had to deal with the smell of death when one would not make it outside and die inside a wall. We lived with this for so long not realizing where they were getting in.

Ahhh....such is the country life

Last edited:

geekette

Reaction score
You are mighty brave. If I were to live alone, it will be a home without yard maintenance, let alone having to deal with creatures.
Oh, but so many of the creatures are wonderful! The hawks have been sailing all day, the deer stop by before I get up and pass back through at dusk. Been a while since I've had cows in the driveway, but the calves were so cute! Chickens rarely make it up this far and I am fine with that. I really would like the peacock to return, he was beautiful!!! I am waiting for the llamas to bust out and come see me.

I like nature, this is the right spot for me. No gym membership needed, plenty to do. Quiet and private, too. I am working on a massive veggie garden, flowers, too, and hatching a plot to perhaps sell excess. I want all this as far along as possible before shoulder surgery so I can mostly laze out back afterwards. I am creating a haven for myself in a spot that is shady most of the day and breezy when there is wind.

I am not sure if I am brave or nuts. A little of both, maybe? Maintenance can be a headache, I am only so handy, and can only recognize problems that I've run across before or happen to know of. There are 3 ladies living alone just on my part of the street, they are older than I am, so certainly braver. I do sometimes think about running towards further simplicity, but most any problem can be solved. It's mostly a matter of finding it in time to not be $$$$$, and the challenge of finding quality workers. I have terrible luck with plumbers, have yet to find one that helps more than hurts. I may have finally found a good electrician.

For now, I remain on the plan of staying here so long as I am able. I don't think I could handle not having a yard. It turns out that I am someone that really digs nature. I am thrilled with my E Go mower. Lightweight, quiet, no fumes, no having to fetch gas. I can push that baby around for decades. I oddly do not mind mowing the lawn now.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Oh, but so many of the creatures are wonderful! The hawks have been sailing all day, the deer stop by before I get up and pass back through at dusk. Been a while since I've had cows in the driveway, but the calves were so cute! Chickens rarely make it up this far and I am fine with that. I really would like the peacock to return, he was beautiful!!! I am waiting for the llamas to bust out and come see me.

I like nature, this is the right spot for me. No gym membership needed, plenty to do. Quiet and private, too. I am working on a massive veggie garden, flowers, too, and hatching a plot to perhaps sell excess. I want all this as far along as possible before shoulder surgery so I can mostly laze out back afterwards. I am creating a haven for myself in a spot that is shady most of the day and breezy when there is wind.

I am not sure if I am brave or nuts. A little of both, maybe? Maintenance can be a headache, I am only so handy, and can only recognize problems that I've run across before or happen to know of. There are 3 ladies living alone just on my part of the street, they are older than I am, so certainly braver. I do sometimes think about running towards further simplicity, but most any problem can be solved. It's mostly a matter of finding it in time to not be $$$$$, and the challenge of finding quality workers. I have terrible luck with plumbers, have yet to find one that helps more than hurts. I may have finally found a good electrician.

For now, I remain on the plan of staying here so long as I am able. I don't think I could handle not having a yard. It turns out that I am someone that really digs nature. I am thrilled with my E Go mower. Lightweight, quiet, no fumes, no having to fetch gas. I can push that baby around for decades. I oddly do not mind mowing the lawn now.

Wow. You live like I do, except I have my husband. I totally get it. But I could not handle living here myself. I need Mr. Fix It around always. There is just too much that always needs to be taken care of- inside and out. I need his male physical strength for lots of tasks and I am not mechanically inclined either.

When I got up this morning, a deer was out by the tree on his hind legs nipping at some leaves on a branch and the birds are singing and the woodpecker is pecking. I am home alone all day and it is dead quiet except for those birds.

The other day I did a double take. Thought I saw a baby deer but it was actually a fox just hanging out scratching himself.

Soon the chipmunks and squirrels will be messing about. This time of year it is glorious. Got my windows cleaned (I hired for the outside windows because of my shoulder issue) and screens up so I can "bring the outside in". It is like a retreat.

Now if I just had a small pool outside to float around in....

My first avatar on TUG was of Snow White. When I was young I always wanted to be Snow White because of her little cottage in the woods and all her little woodland friends that would visit her. Remember the scene with her singing and sweeping the dust out of the cottage, with the dwarfs standing outside? That is how I envisioned my life.

I grew up in a small development in Rockland County, NY when it was rural and spent my childhood playing on a farm, apple orchard and in the woods. Mostly alone or with a few friends and my brother. I was introverted and sensitive, but gregarious. (I think I am the same now. LOL!)

As I became a teen, Rockland County became suburbia and away went that farm and apple orchard and woods and this upset me. So much so that I went away to college in a rural area- an Agricultural and Technical college; and when I married we immediately moved to the country to a small handyman bungalow on a hill in the woods that we purchased.

As much as it is lonely here and we have to move as we age, as I stand inside my home looking out the windows with nothing but nature showing through them, or outside on our property, I always say I will really miss this.

Where do you live geekette? I don't recall if you mentioned it at one time or not.....

geekette

Reaction score
Wow. You live like I do, except I have my husband. I totally get it. But I could not handle living here myself. I need Mr. Fix It around always. There is just too much that always needs to be taken care of- inside and out. I need his male physical strength for lots of tasks and I am not mechanically inclined either.

When I got up this morning, a deer was out by the tree on his hind legs nipping at some leaves on a branch and the birds are singing and the woodpecker is pecking. I am home alone all day and it is dead quiet except for those birds.

The other day I did a double take. Thought I saw a baby deer but it was actually a fox just hanging out scratching himself.

Soon the chipmunks and squirrels will be messing about. This time of year it is glorious. Got my windows cleaned (I hired for the outside windows because of my shoulder issue) and screens up so I can "bring the outside in". It is like a retreat.

Now if I just had a small pool outside to float around in....

My first avatar on TUG was of Snow White. When I was young I always wanted to be Snow White because of her little cottage in the woods and all her little woodland friends that would visit her. Remember the scene with her singing and sweeping the dust out of the cottage, with the dwarfs standing outside? That is how I envisioned my life.

I grew up in a small development in Rockland County, NY when it was rural and spent my childhood playing on a farm, apple orchard and in the woods. Mostly alone or with a few friends and my brother. I was introverted and sensitive, but gregarious. (I think I am the same now. LOL!)

As I became a teen, Rockland County became suburbia and away went that farm and apple orchard and woods and this upset me. So much so that I went away to college in a rural area- an Agricultural and Technical college; and when I married we immediately moved to the country to a small handyman bungalow on a hill in the woods that we purchased.

As much as it is lonely here and we have to move as we age, as I stand inside my home looking out the windows with nothing but nature showing through them, or outside on our property, I always say I will really miss this.

Where do you live geekette? I don't recall if you mentioned it at one time or not.....
I grew up in suburbia, walking to school. We lived on a culdesac so plenty of room to play (and much to mow). Mom is a nature girl, planted many gardens, always bird feeders, etc.

I am in Indiana, near Eagle Creek, a massive nature preserve. I have country living with city convenience.

I was married when we bought this house, he was not very handy at all, but enjoyed the riding mower. I did learn via marriage that the best way to get a guy to want to do a chore is to involve a power tool. We also "had a guy" that would come help him with things so we could learn. Now I am likely selling the rider, it is old and rattly and basically a roll risk for me, I am not heavy enough to use it on hills, too creepy. I would like to replace it with a little one that has attachments, like tiller, cultivator, etc. so it's easier to get garden bed ready. The "garden" hasn't been worked in some years, is about 20' by 30', plenty for anything I may grow. I have fond memories of Pumpkin Year, all those vines that had to bust out of that garden bed and into the grass. Cute little orange balls everywhere. Used to be, you could tell how stressed my job made me by size of garden. THe worse life on the job was, the more I had planted back there. It is now part physical therapy and part cutting food cost. I find it therapeutic to grow things, see (and eat!) results of my toils. Being a data girl, the job never provided tangible results.

I have to hire out a lot, that is the downside. Some things are too hard, too creepy or too risky to DIY.

Critter update - a trapped coon. I think maybe the wildlife folks showed up while i wasn't looking yesterday because how else could the trap be set again? I can see a raccoon getting out, they are clever, but I can't see it resetting trap. So maybe this is Critter #2? Honestly, I was glad the trap became empty yesterday as it became very hot and I couldn't think of a way to provide water. Probably the coons will get re-homed to Eagle Creek and have more nature and less humans. I keep picturing that cutie peering out at me from that stupid exhaust fan. I never saw raccoons on my property until seeing that tail disappear into the vent. I am guessing that the hawks are not interested, as they fly right over that exact spot of my roof. I think these are teenage raccoons, they are not big and it seems they grow into the classic coloring, but this guy is not yet wearing the black mask.

A friend is going to come live with me and help post surgery, and 2 doggies are part of the package. Could be I haven't had raccoons because I had a dog. Once these guys are out, could be end of problem. I do worry about how much $ to repair attic after this but it's just part of the price paid to live here. This is first year of mouse problem, what a hassle to find every possible nook and cranny... I am not dissuading the cat that comes around trying to adopt me. Absolutely, sit right there on my deck!!! Few baby chipmunks this year and I'm guessing "Spot" has something to do with that. YAY

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We live right near the Shawangunk State Forest. In winter, we can see the ridge line through the bare trees.Nature wise, it is a beautiful area- the foothills to the Catskills.

Yes- when our dogs passed we noticed the wildlife came closer to our home. Even the ground hog took up residence under our deck. We caught one and relocated it. but never caught the other and haven't seen it.

We, too, always seem to have a cat that keeps hanging around. But I have not filled our bird feeder in months so as not to attract bears.

Be careful with the coons, though. I would be worried. They can do a lot of damage. You might want to hire one of those guys who gets rid of nuisance wildlife.

Last edited: