• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Weird phone call yesterday wanting to buy my Vidanta TS

MoPops

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta
Wyndham CWA, VIP Silver
I had a call yesterday from Chicago area. Caller asked if I was Jeff H? I was surprised as I was expecting a call from a new manager with our company from Chicago.
I should have hung up, but answered anyway. Confirming I was Jeff. Caller stated he had a buyer for my Vidanta TS. I said I wasn’t interested and hung up. I still think I maybe shouldn’t have even confirmed my name with the guy. Didn’t Vidanta get hacked I the last year or so? Any recommendations on what the next steps of the scam may be? What to do to avoid problems. Since it’s been almost 24 hrs, I’m assuming if they are doing damage it’s been done.
Thx
Jeff

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I get those types of calls fairly frequently. All of them are scams. I usually just block the numbers.

jssquared

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe
We get these calls all the time as well. I have heard stories of ex-Vidanta employees selling lists as well. Np idea about a hack. If you say no, I presume that is all. However, if you move on to next steps the scammer will usually require you to forward them money (for some reason - closing costs, taxes, etc). and then you will never hear from them again. Just say no and hang up. Please be aware, some of them can be very convincing. In many cases they will have a LOT of information - no what type of unit/contract you have, contact info, etc.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
You did the right thing by hanging up. No worries. Even if they offered up any info on your membership, there is NO buyer and no one wants anything but YOUR money.

Remember this: NO ONE will EVER cold call you to give you money!

Jim

MoPops

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Luxxe Nuevo Vallarta
Wyndham CWA, VIP Silver
Thanks all. I’m almost to the point of not answering my cell phone at all, unless I know the caller. Getting to be just like old times with land lines.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Thanks all. I’m almost to the point of not answering my cell phone at all, unless I know the caller. Getting to be just like old times with land lines.

MoPops / Jeff ,
Once one scammer has your cell number - “ they all do” - you will keep getting scam calls .

Last one - I said : " I am so glad you called " / I said that Canada had legalized a certain substance and I was looking for “investors “. I told him “ it was a guaranteed way to make money and all I was looking for was $ 30, 000 to make people partners .

I asked when I could call him back .

Never heard from him again -
LOL .

Last edited:

dmurray007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Suitelife Vacations Club
Shell Vacations Club (American)
Viida Vacations Club (Grand Luxxe)
MoPops / Jeff ,
Once one scammer has your cell number - “ they all do” - you will keep getting scam calls .

Last one - I said : " I am so glad you called " / I said that Canada had legalized a certain substance and I was looking for “investors “. I told him “ it was a guaranteed way to make money and all I was looking for was $ 30, 000 to make people partners .

I asked when I could call him back .

Never heard from him again -
LOL .

dmurray007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Suitelife Vacations Club
Shell Vacations Club (American)
Viida Vacations Club (Grand Luxxe)
Only 30,000. Cdn. that is a steal I would have asked 300,000 USD.
I just switch to my broken Quebecois and tell them to mnage de la marde.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
When the person calling pauses I simply say one of two things:
1. This call is being recorded for the purpose of Federal Litigation; or,
2. With the assistance of AT&T, Samsung, and Goggle this call is being traced.

With either one I get an immediate click.