• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thinking of Buying an Electric Vehicle? Here's What You Need to Know About Charging

Brett

Reaction score
New full electrics are kind of expensive as second cars, but Prius hybrids are good, economical, and dependable buys, and used Nissan Leaf EVs can be found with low miles for under $10,000.
I'm hoping some builder will come out with a small/midsize electric pickup. I'd like that to be my next ride. One would think they'd notice that pickups are big sellers and most are never used as 'heavy haulers' or need to go long distances.

Jim

"They" have noticed!
unfortunately there are large tariffs on small pickups

https://www.aei.org/publication/the...-big-3-from-foreign-competition-for-50-years/

Brett

Reaction score
Bring a sandwich and some entertainment. Charging takes a long time and the free charging spots are frequently taken.

that, the price and the range of electric vehicles keeps me on hooked on gasoline
But if the price of gas goes above $5 gal then I'll consider electric

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
I find all the above comments very interesting.
We have had our Prius Prime, (which is a PHEV) for 9 months now. When first starting to drive it the vehicle is always in electric mode. When that part of the battery runs down the vehicle kicks into hybrid mode, which then uses gas and battery. We don’t have an EV charger in our condo garage as yet (working on it), but there is a gasoline station about a 5 min. walk away where we can charge the vehicle. For a full charge it takes about 1 ¼ hours. No cost to us. Our city has many EV chargers, and there are numerous malls that have chargers, so we use them.
The good thing with our vehicle, is when we are on the highway, we can charge the battery while driving, so that when we arrive at our destination we can then use electric only.
The vehicle calculates our L/100 km, so using electric and some gas occasionally we get 2.3 L/100 km, which is about 118 miles per gallon. We are happy with that.

Chrispee

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, new plot twist on me electric car saga. Tesla creatively got slid dye Model 3 in at the eleventh hour for eligibility for the Canadian federal EV rebate. So, it looks like the Leaf is out and I’ll be rolling the dice beta testing a Tesla. Wish me luck, I may need it. o_O

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, new plot twist on me electric car saga. Tesla creatively got slid dye Model 3 in at the eleventh hour for eligibility for the Canadian federal EV rebate. So, it looks like the Leaf is out and I’ll be rolling the dice beta testing a Tesla. Wish me luck, I may need it. o_O
Forgive me, and maybe it's just too early for me, but the above just isn't clear. Is there some code I'm missing? I have looked back through the thread, but it's like coming in on the middle of a conversation.

but WTF, I wish you luck as requested.

Chrispee

TUG Member
Reaction score
I resurrected this thread from 2018 to see how other TUG members were doing with their electric cars since I was in the market.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
I just took the plunge and bought a new BEV. It has enough range to get around short trips. I can top it off at work.

Stop and go driving does not bother me now as the regenerative braking recaptures most of the energy. My whole style of driving has changed to avoid using the brake but not minding stops.

I bought a Bolt EV. What is truly amazing is the science behind the car:

60 KWh = 1.8 gallons of gasoline in energy. Using the EPA estimates, the Bolt can get 238 miles on that amount of energy! Could you imagine a gasoline car with a 2 gallon tank?

Yes, at highway speeds (75+ mph) the aerodynamic drag goes up with the velocity squared, so going 55 or 60 adds about 15%-20% to your efficiency.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If you want to travel, the Tesla is the better choice because of the charging network. That was not my consideration.

For me, I had great reservations ponying up that amount of cheese on a company:
  • With questionable financial footing (SpaceX may be bailed out, but Tesla could become the next DeLorean)
  • No dealership network (All service work is owned by Tesla or contracted out)
GM makes cars. Elon is making cars, rockets, solar panels, hyper-loops ... [SQUIRREL!!!!!] Don't get me wrong, Elon has advanced the BEV to where it is today with his vision, but I think that Tesla will need to be totally restructured to survive.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't own and have no interest in owning an electric car but believe the day will come when they will dominate the market. My guess is when that happens there will be charging stations galore and one will have to swipe their credit (or debit) card to use them...

George

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ok ... after 400 miles of electric driving I have become an EV-angilist!

I love my new Bolt EV.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
My guess is when that happens there will be charging stations galore and one will have to swipe their credit (or debit) card to use them...

George
George,

That already exists in metropolitan areas. In TX, there are 3 main players:
  • EVgo
  • ChargePoint
  • ElectrifyAmerica
Also in a pinch, you can also find 50 amp 240 vac available in RV parks.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
We just took the plunge and leased a VW eGolf for my DH to commute. Wow...I have gone from skeptic to becoming a solar evangelist.

We will realize $2,400 savings a year ($200/month) on gas alone because we have free charging. My DH has free charging at work and we also installed solar on our home 3 years ago so charging is free.

VW has a killer deal on this car right now in Northern California and parts of Southern California (YMMV) which nets to about $15,000 including sales tax. When is the last time you have seen a new car for $15k?

https://slickdeals.net/f/13163326-2...-125-mile-epa-range-final-price-10-000-13-500

VW is offering up to $10,500 off the MSRP and with California incentives of $10,800 rebates plus free gas this car will cost very little. (We decided to lease for 36 months because the range is limited and we want the latest EV technology in 3 years. The marketfactor for the lease was 0%). IMO the reason VW is selling eGolfs so cheaply is partly because of diesel-gate and partly because they are launching a new line of longer range EVs in 2020.

The best part? We get the sticker to use the carpool lanes and bypass traffic.

Still keeping the gas guzzlers for hauling and long distance trips. I don't think we will ever go back to gas for town cars.

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wow...I have gone from skeptic to becoming a solar evangelist.
Still keeping the gas guzzlers for hauling and long distance trips. I don't think we will ever go back to gas for town cars.
Hallelujah
! Praise the electron! :whooopie:

Last edited:

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I'm waiting on a quote from an electrician about installing a 240 volt charging port in my garage.
Unfortunately, it means upgrading my 40-year old service panel... but that'll have other benefits.