• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

St. Regis resort planned for Aruba on old Westin land plot

vistana101

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SVV (x2)
Thought this was interesting... https://www.azure-aruba.com/hotel-complex-in-aruba/

It looks like Marriott is planning to build a St. Regis resort on the land that was once proposed for the Westin timeshare in Aruba. The article says "For more than 20 years, the dignitary said, this plot belonged to the Starwood Group, at a certain time, it was purchased and acquired by the Marriott hotel chain. The process of negotiations began years ago to change the destiny of this plot, supposed to be a timeshare four-star hotel at that time, with a number of 380 rooms."

Does anyone remember why the villa project fell through?

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Does anyone remember why the villa project fell through?

It's because of the housing and credit meltdown. Too bad it never regained traction to be built as a timeshare.

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I thought they were never very serious about building it in Aruba.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I think Vistana was serious about building in Aruba. I have a page in the original binder I received in 2007 with the Aruba resort. It has the floor plans etc. The binder has a page for each existing resort(at the time) and one for Aruba.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Wow, a hotel in Aruba. Considering the fact that the Dolphin and Swan at Disney were upgraded from a CAT 4 to a CAT 6 after the Marriott merger, and the points were tripled, it now costs 50,000 points per night to stay there vs. 10,000 points before the merger. I can't imagine what Aruba would cost. Do they have a CAT 10?

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
The Aruban government ended a very good tax program that greatly benefited the developer. So Starwood decided to kill the project.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Wow, a hotel in Aruba. Considering the fact that the Dolphin and Swan at Disney were upgraded from a CAT 4 to a CAT 6 after the Marriott merger, and the points were tripled, it now costs 50,000 points per night to stay there vs. 10,000 points before the merger. I can't imagine what Aruba would cost. Do they have a CAT 10?
To be fair, the 10,000 was Starpoints which equated to 30,000 MR points. So only a 67% increase. They only more than tripled because of how Marriott valued their reward points to Starpoints.

Last edited:

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
To be fair, the 40,000 was Starpoints which equated to 30,000 MR points. So only a 67% increase. They only more than tripled because of how Marriott valued their reward points to Starpoints.

Where do you get the 40,000 Starpoints? I used to stay one night for 10,000 StarPoints, which now cost me 50,000 Rewards Points. That's a 5 times increase vs the 3X points I got from converting from StarPoints to Rewards Points after the merger. Not only did the rewards get watered down, the resort got upgraded from a CAT 4 to a CAT 6. What used to cost me 40,000 points now costs me 200,000. Not 3X the former, but 5X.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Where do you get the 40,000 Starpoints? I used to stay one night for 10,000 StarPoints, which now cost me 50,000 Rewards Points. That's a 5 times increase vs the 3X points I got from converting from StarPoints to Rewards Points after the merger. Not only did the rewards get watered down, the resort got upgraded from a CAT 4 to a CAT 6. What used to cost me 40,000 points now costs me 200,000. Not 3X the former, but 5X.
Sorry, I meant 10,000 StarPoints. So in the past those 10,000 StarPoints were worth 30,000 MR points per Marriott's own conversion. If you had 10,000 StarPoint sitting in your account on the cutover day in the summer of 2018, you ended up with 30,000 Bonvoy Points. Then you only needed 20,000 more to book the property. So only a 67% increase, not 500%.

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
I used to stay one night for 10,000 StarPoints, which now cost me 50,000 Rewards Points. That's a 5 times increase vs the 3X points I got from converting from StarPoints to Rewards Points after the merger. Not only did the rewards get watered down, the resort got upgraded from a CAT 4 to a CAT 6. What used to cost me 40,000 points now costs me 200,000. Not 3X the former, but 5X.

Have you considered a career in timeshare sales? Your fuzzy math skills are exemplary... ;)