• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Anyone prepay their MFs well in advance?

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like to prepay some of my 2020 MFs now to meet the new Amex Bonvoy spend requirement of $5k to get 100k for each of my kids.

Has anyone prepaid so from in advance?

On a side note I'm so happy that with this 100k my daughter will now have more than 450k MR points, a perfect amount for her eventual honeymoon. The vast majority of them from sign up promos with the Starwood, Marriott and then the upgrades.

Now my son is ready to use and manage CCs so i'm going to do the same for him but he won't have the first round of promo points from the initial merger so won't be able to get as much for him but still will be a good start towards the same goal we accomplished for my daughter

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
I would like to prepay some of my 2020 MFs now to meet the new Amex Bonvoy spend requirement of $5k to get 100k for each of my kids.

Has anyone prepaid so from in advance?

On a side note I'm so happy that with this 100k my daughter will now have more than 450k MR points, a perfect amount for her eventual honeymoon. The vast majority of them from sign up promos with the Starwood, Marriott and then the upgrades.

Now my son is ready to use and manage CCs so i'm going to do the same for him but he won't have the first round of promo points from the initial merger so won't be able to get as much for him but still will be a good start towards the same goal we accomplished for my daughter
Yup, just paid $6k to cover the min spend on the upgrade to the Bonvoy Brilliant. Have done it in past years too for MS on other cards. Travel credit and 100k bonus post promptly. The 6x on spend posts on the next statement. Cheers.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
ok thank you good to know. I know alot of value has been lost in these MR points but if you have the spend and good credit it is still well worth it to grab these promo points.

brianfox

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai x3
I presume one has to call in to prepay 2020, and it's really just a prepayment of dues - not knowing what the actual 2020 dues will be, correct?

Will they let me pre-donate my ARDA as well? (That was a joke.)

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I presume one has to call in to prepay 2020, and it's really just a prepayment of dues - not knowing what the actual 2020 dues will be, correct?

Will they let me pre-donate my ARDA as well? (That was a joke.)
You can do it online and any amount that you want to prepay.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
When I have prepaid the MF's that I do NOT have set up on auto payment (such as my Wyndham),, I send in the same amount as I did the previous year.
No resort has ever turned down early MF payments and if (for some reason) the amount the next year is slightly more they will send a bill. (At least that has been my experience with my non Wyndham / Worldmark properties).

Also, as more resorts now have some sort of online bill payment, more of them are accepting CC payments without the additional charges.
But do verify your resort does NOT add a fee for using a credit card!

tomvc

TUG Member
Reaction score
I paid MF online at the end of March to meet CC spending bonus, but was refunded a few days later. There was not an option to apply payment to 2020.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Oh - I should mention it is only my RCI locations in my current portfolio I can prepay...... VV at Parkway, Oakmont and La Costa.

Of course, YEWV.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I pay last year's amount so when the balance is due i know the remaining balance is the annual increase. I've done it before as well, maybe a month early but never this early. I made a payment today so I'll let everyone know how i made out.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I paid MF online at the end of March to meet CC spending bonus, but was refunded a few days later. There was not an option to apply payment to 2020.
Was this Marriott?

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
In he past I’ve made payments well in advance with companies that required pre-payment in order to deposit/exchange my week. Then, at the end of the year, they required reminding that they had already received their MF except for the increase. More than once it was a fight with me having to send copies of my payment to them.
So no, I don’t pre-pay unless it’s required. To much room for error and creates more stress at the end of the year than I need.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In he past I’ve made payments well in advance with companies that required pre-payment in order to deposit/exchange my week. Then, at the end of the year, they required reminding that they had already received their MF except for the increase. More than once it was a fight with me having to send copies of my payment to them.
So no, I don’t pre-pay unless it’s required. To much room for error and creates more stress at the end of the year than I need.

Sorry to hear you've had this experience, Doug - out of curiosity, doesn't your resort send you some sort of confirmation of a payment received?

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
Sorry to hear you've had this experience, Doug - out of curiosity, doesn't your resort send you some sort of confirmation of a payment received?

Those resorts with DRI and Spinnaker did send confirmations, which I saved and had to send them to prove payment. Still, it took time and, they attempted to charge late payment fees. It was more of a problem than it should have been.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ll prepaid last year when I sold a week. Used the proceeds to get ahead. This year I’m trying to prepay $1000 per month so it’s not as big of a shock when I receive an invoice. Having $12k in MF’s shown up in one month is tough sometimes.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I’ll prepaid last year when I sold a week. Used the proceeds to get ahead. This year I’m trying to prepay $1000 per month so it’s not as big of a shock when I receive an invoice. Having $12k in MF’s shown up in one month is tough sometimes.
I'm definitely going to start to do this with my MFs.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I prefer to keep my maintenance fees in the bank so that I get the interest and not Marriott. That extra money if best in my pocketbook. Marriott is doing quite well, without the little bit extra that could be used for my benefit.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Those resorts with DRI and Spinnaker did send confirmations, which I saved and had to send them to prove payment. Still, it took time and, they attempted to charge late payment fees. It was more of a problem than it should have been.

I own DRI as well. This year they allowed you to pay your maintenance fees over the course of the year. I pay them 2019 maintenance fees monthly. I keep money in my account until is absolutely necessary to pay them.

Last edited:

jimwu921

TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the HGVC the only one doesn't allow MF pre-payment?:bawl:

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I prefer to keep my maintenance fees in the bank so that I get the interest and not Marriott. That extra money if best in my pocketbook. Marriott is doing quite well, without the little bit extra that could be used for my benefit.
I agree.
I can perhaps understand pre-paying if it triggers some more worthwhile credit card spend benefit, otherwise I would far rather earn interest from investing the money put aside myself and pay the MFs at the very last minute.

ann824

TUG Member
Reaction score
The same thing happened to me and I had already gotten the 300 credit.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I agree.
I can perhaps understand pre-paying if it triggers some more worthwhile credit card spend benefit, otherwise I would far rather earn interest from investing the money put aside myself and pay the MFs at the very last minute.
I should have noticed this thread is for Marriott - my observations come experience with RCI where earlier depositing of weeks allows for more trading power.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I should have noticed this thread is for Marriott - my observations come experience with RCI where earlier depositing of weeks allows for more trading power.
Similarly, I am not familiar with RCI.
Earlier depositing of MVC weeks (with Interval) allows for more trading power, but there is no dependency on having paid your MFs before you can make that deposit.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Similarly, I am not familiar with RCI.
Earlier depositing of MVC weeks (with Interval) allows for more trading power, but there is no dependency on having paid your MFs before you can make that deposit.
It's resort by resort or system by system. Some resorts (both RCI & II) require fees to be paid before they'd certify the deposit.