• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Postage Stamps

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
The bad news is that the price keeps going up.

The good news is that you don't need them much any more.

I always get forever stamps, then try to find them when I need one.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Buy Forever Stamps at Costco, and the current price won’t matter.

Dave

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Could be just keeping up with the costs of inflation or a simple case of supply and demand.

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
Supply and demand would be raising the price to cool demand. In this case they raise the price to offset people using stamps less. Which causes even less people to use stamps.

Touche. :thumbup:

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it's because Congress decided in 2006 to make the USPS pre-fund their retiree benefits (unlike any other public or private entity in the US.) Some may say that this change was specifically designed to make the USPS less competitive than their for-profit counterparts. Some say it was designed to undercut the USPS's employees, the vast number of which are unionized. What everyone can agree on is that it was devastating to the USPS financial model, for no particular gain/positive impact on retirees.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The amount of USPS employee labor provided to Amazon is staggering. A good friend works for post office.

Brett

Reaction score
Yes, it's because Congress decided in 2006 to make the USPS pre-fund their retiree benefits (unlike any other public or private entity in the US.) Some may say that this change was specifically designed to make the USPS less competitive than their for-profit counterparts. Some say it was designed to undercut the USPS's employees, the vast number of which are unionized. What everyone can agree on is that it was devastating to the USPS financial model, for no particular gain/positive impact on retirees.

actually the Postal Service USPS has to "fund" their retiree benefits like all other private entity for-profit US businesses that have a defined benefit pension plan, it's a legal requirement -- unlike the military and social security which is a "pay as you go" plan. For comparison the United Parcel Service (UPS) fully funds retiree benefit plans but now has a 401k which is different, 401k plans are always "fully funded' and 'pre-funded'. And UPS grants stock options to management and discounted corporate stock to employees.
Amazon (like most companies) doesn't offer retirement pensions, only 401k plans and stock options but if they had a retirement pension then it too would have to fully funded or 'pre-funded" like the Post Office.

Last edited:

Brett

Reaction score
The USPS doesn’t have a pension fund. It’s TSP ( Thrift Savings Plan) is just a basic 401k. No employee hired after 1983 is a pensioner.

then the USPS Post Office is now exactly like UPS and Amazon (without the stock options)
( but with certain statutory mandates !)

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been going to my local post office daily to get my mail for decades now. I recently have seen the reduction in people mailing packages or even having PO Boxes. I also have seen a poorer attitide service level by the post office staff, too. And the parking lot have fewer cars every time I come to the Post Office.

I have been attibuting this to our new postmaster. Most of the regular counter staff transfered to other post offices after her arrival. The replacement staff is marginally skilled ... to where the postmaster has to work the counter with her chosen and younger staff.

But the real harm ... fewer businesses are coming in to this post office. I guess I will have to drive down the road and look up a clerk who used to work at my post office. She transfer out due to the new postmaster management and attitude.

Is it my local postmaster or the overall reduction in usage of the US Postal Service?

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
I have been going to my local post office daily to get my mail for decades now. I recently have seen the reduction in people mailing packages or even having PO Boxes. I also have seen a poorer attitide service level by the post office staff, too. And the parking lot have fewer cars every time I come to the Post Office.

I have been attibuting this to our new postmaster. Most of the regular counter staff transfered to other post offices after her arrival. The replacement staff is marginally skilled ... to where the postmaster has to work the counter with her chosen and younger staff.

But the real harm ... fewer businesses are coming in to this post office. I guess I will have to drive down the road and look up a clerk who used to work at my post office. She transfer out due to the new postmaster management and attitude.

Is it my local postmaster or the overall reduction in usage of the US Postal Service?
At my local post office there are still long lines many times during the day.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
My post office has the same staff they've had for years. Pleasant enough folks, and there is always a line. I find I don't use them as much to mail things larger than envelopes, because the price to send something is off the charts. I had to pay return shipping on an item I was returning to the manufacturer for a refund last year, and it cost me more in postage than the item itself cost. That was a wakeup call!

Dave

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
At my local post office there are still long lines many times during the day.
That is because they have closed branches. The problem is that most people are just going in to ship packages and it takes forever. Did you know you can actually ship a package using PayPal, without someone actually having to buy something from you through PayPal? No lines and you get a discount on the shipping cost. You just need a printer to print the label. You can also do the same thing on USPS.com, just no discount.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Buy Forever Stamps at Costco, and the current price won’t matter.

Dave
To be fair, you can buy the same forever stamps at the post office for the same price...

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
To be fair, you can buy the same forever stamps at the post office for the same price...

I think they're a couple dollars cheaper at Costco. (I haven't checked lately, but I think they're a shade cheaper than the face value.)

Dave

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
That is because they have closed branches. The problem is that most people are just going in to ship packages and it takes forever. Did you know you can actually ship a package using PayPal, without someone actually having to buy something from you through PayPal? No lines and you get a discount on the shipping cost. You just need a printer to print the label. You can also do the same thing on USPS.com, just no discount.
Nope, no branches closed in our city.

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
USPS stays busy delivering catalogs that we no longer want. Every so often I try https://www.catalogchoice.org/ to get rid of them, but they keep on coming. Viking Cruise Lines is the worst. We get junk mail from them every week.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
USPS stays busy delivering catalogs that we no longer want. Every so often I try https://www.catalogchoice.org/ to get rid of them, but they keep on coming. Viking Cruise Lines is the worst. We get junk mail from them every week.

The junk mail that comes addressed to me is bad enough, but I get junk mail that is addressed to my deceased parents at my address. They never lived in my house, and in fact, didn't even live in my state! How does that work?

Dave

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
artringwald
We received junk mail from Viking Cruise Lines and AARP weekly. Any suggestions how to stop this ?

We have never sail on Viking and do not plan on sail on Viking.

chriskre

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC- SSR, Poly,
Wyndham Las Cascadas
HGVC Tuscany Village
Bluegreen CMV UDI
RCI pts at VVParkway
Enchanted Isle resort.
I had to pay return shipping on an item I was returning to the manufacturer for a refund last year, and it cost me more in postage than the item itself cost. That was a wakeup call!

Dave

Use www.paypal.com/shipnow for discounted shipping rates with tracking included.
Much cheaper than going to the counter.

Just print out the label and tape it on the package and drop it in the post office
in the box for packages, schedule a pickup with your carrier or just hand it to
any mail truck you see.

kwelty

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club II
Samoset Rockport, ME
Harbor Ridge MDI ME
Tree Tops Gatlinburg
The USPS doesn’t have a pension fund. It’s TSP ( Thrift Savings Plan) is just a basic 401k. No employee hired after 1983 is a pensioner.

There is a pension plan, just not as much. Now, the Federal Employees Retirement System (FERS), pays just 1 percent for each year worked but the pensioner gets Social Security and a 401K plan (TSP) that is partially funded by the Postal Service as well.