• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

RCI - Weeks Exchange on Big Island, Hawaii Fall 2019

Missbunbun

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hi - First time poster here.

I have an on-going search with RCI with dates ranging from mid-Sept through mid-Dec 2019. The resorts in my search are: 1) Bay Club 2) Kohala Suites 3) King's Land and 4) Mauna Lani Hotel.

I created my ongoing search 2 weeks ago and I got a match at Bay Club yesterday:
Unit Type: 1 Bedroom
Check in Date: 28-Sep-2019
Max Occupancy/Privacy:4/4
Trading Power: 52

The deposit I'm using has a TPU of 54.

I have 2 young children and having fun pools are important for us on vacation - so Bay Club was my least preferred option.

Any thoughts on how likely I'll get a match against Kings Land, Kohala or Mauna Lani? Or should I just take the Bay Club week now?

Thank you!

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Welcome to TUG:
Bay Club guests are allowed to use the pool at Kohala.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Bay Club guests are allowed to use the pool at Kohala.
But the pool, and pool area at Kohala are not very big. I think the pool at the Bay Club might be bigger. We've stayed at both the Bay Club and Kohala Suites (not Kingsland) and of the two prefer the Bay Club. The units are bigger. The advantage to Kohala Suites and Kingsland is that you have free access to the pools at the Hilton Waikoloa. But check that out, you never know if it's changed.

I didn't realize Mauna Lani Hotel was part of an exchange program. I went in to see what type of accommodations and it looks like it's pretty much a standard hotel room. No kitchen, no laundry in the unit.

Last edited:

Missbunbun

TUG Member
Reaction score
But the pool, and pool area at Kohala are not very big. I think the pool at the Bay Club might be bigger. We've stayed at both the Bay Club and Kohala Suites (not Kingsland) and of the two prefer the Bay Club. The units are bigger. The advantage to Kohala Suites and Kingsland is that you have free access to the pools at the Hilton Waikoloa. But check that out, you never know if it's changed.

I didn't realize Mauna Lani Hotel was part of an exchange program. I went in to see what type of accommodations and it looks like it's pretty much a standard hotel room. No kitchen, no laundry in the unit.
Thanks for the additional information!

I am leaning towards releasing this week, whereas my husband wants to keep it. We will see who wins out!

I will post an update once we decide.

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Kohala only has one "slide", and it's about 5 feet long. Just a slant in the wall. It's not what one imagines when the term "waterslide" is used.

For waterslides, you either need to stay at KingsLand or Kohala Suites. Both give their guests complimentary passes to the Hilton Waikoloa Village. KingsLand has three waterslides, plus one toddler slide, and basketball/volleyball in the pool.

Since you have a lot of time, I would keep searching. Bay Club will still come up closer to your dates, if the other two have not matched.

Last edited:

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
When my daughters were little they liked the pools better than the beach. So I get the desire for great pools and a slide. However, I'll also tell you that one year we spent one night at the Hilton Waikoloa (it was a gap night between timeshares). After an hour or so both girls were bored with the pools and the slides.

lynne

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pacific Grove Plaza

Mauna Lani Hotel has been purchased by Auberge Resorts and is currently closed for a massive renovation. They are hoping to be open by the end of 2019.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
It is possible (or at least it was last summer) to buy a day pass to the HWV pools. I don't remember how much it was; we were staying at Kohala.
I thought day use for the pools at the Hilton were free for those staying at Kingsland or Kohala. The day pass was available to those staying at the Bay Club. Don't remember the amount. But, as I said, this may have changed. I'm going to see if I can find any updates.

According to the RCI website it looks like use of the pools at the Hilton are free for those staying at Kingsland or Kohala Suites. For the Bay Club it does say there is a fee if you want to use the pools there. "Registered Bay Club guests are currently offered a special $85.00 daily pass or $150.00 3-day pool pass, to use the recreational water facilities at the Hilton Waikoloa Village Hotel next door to the resort." I have no idea if this fee is per person or covers up to a certain number.

Last edited:

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought day use for the pools at the Hilton were free for those staying at Kingsland or Kohala. The day pass was available to those staying at the Bay Club. Don't remember the amount. But, as I said, this may have changed. I'm going to see if I can find any updates.
They are! I did not explain myself clearly. You can buy a day pass if you are NOT otherwise entitled to access. I have no idea what they cost, because we were entitled to access.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
They are! I did not explain myself clearly. You can buy a day pass if you are NOT otherwise entitled to access. I have no idea what they cost, because we were entitled to access.
Registered Bay Club guests are currently offered a special $85.00 daily pass or $150.00 3-day pool pass, to use the recreational water facilities at the Hilton Waikoloa Village Hotel next door to the resort.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

Missbunbun

TUG Member
Reaction score
We decided to take our chances and release the week. I also removed bay club from our ongoing search.

Thanks to everyone for the help!