• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Full Face Snorkel Mask

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Thank you all for your help. I think based on all I have read, I t hink I will try one. I am doing the night Manta Ray Snorkel on my trip to Hawaii. Its been on my bucket list for years. Due to dentures, a regular snorkel is jusy uncomfortable for me. I really want to enjoy it and not worry about losing my dentures.
Suzanne
Hi Suzanne,

Try it out in a pool (lake, ocean) before your trip to enhance your comfort with your new mask.

Have a good trip

Richard

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
A couple of things about full face masks:

You can’t equalize pressure in your ears if you go underwater. So if all you want to do is float on the surface looking down, you’re fine. But if you want to go under to get closer to things, you can’t pinch your nose and blow to equalize pressure in your ears.

If you have a beard and want a better seal, a little smear of Vaseline along the skin where the edge of the mask touches will give you a better fit. Same with a regular mask and mustaches.

Dave

Xan

TUG Member
Reaction score
I see a lot of these masks lately on FB and Amazon. Has anyone on TUG used one? If so how well do they work? I am looking to get one for the Night Manta Snorkel Trip in Hawaii next month. I like the idea of the full face as I wear dentures and these don't require the usual mouth piece that traditional snorkel tubes have.

TIA,

Suzanne

In Hawaii, there has been several deaths that they can’t say exactly what the cause was, but they all were wearing the full face “snorkeling” mask.
Hawaii and possibly other locations do NOT keep a record of snorkeling deaths or method of death in their waters.

Love the idea, but I wouldn’t trust my life with one. Please use your best judgment and what your heart is telling you is right at the time! (We all have that “vibe or extra sense” that sometimes we just ignore. Listen to those feelings.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I see a lot of these masks lately on FB and Amazon. Has anyone on TUG used one? If so how well do they work? I am looking to get one for the Night Manta Snorkel Trip in Hawaii next month. I like the idea of the full face as I wear dentures and these don't require the usual mouth piece that traditional snorkel tubes have.

TIA,

Suzanne

They work fine for top water snorkeling for short adventures. My wife likes hers. I like to dive a bit so it doesn't work for me. Many of our friends use the full face mask and really like them. Some of these masks have go pro holders that can hold a light. For night snorkeling you might want a head light.

https://www.tropicalsnorkeling.com/night-snorkeling-light.html

Most of the time the tour company supplies all of the gear. Probably ask them whats happening.

Bill

Reactions: Xan

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
The full face mask I tried was too heavy and confining.

Modern conventional snorkels work well, especially if you wear contact lenses or have optical correction built in. A prescription mask doesn't have to be an exact match, just a plus or minus diopter or two or three, because the water density provides its own correction. But don't put sunscreen on your forehead or brow, to avoid it dripping into your eyes.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
The full face mask I tried was too heavy and confining.

Modern conventional snorkels work well, especially if you wear contact lenses or have optical correction built in. A prescription mask doesn't have to be an exact match, just a plus or minus diopter or two or three, because the water density provides its own correction. But don't put sunscreen on your forehead or brow, to avoid it dripping into your eyes.

I have a very complex prescription, so bought a corrective lens insert that attaches to the inside of the regular facemask glass with suction cups. It works great. I did try it once with a full face mask, and even though it did attach, the curvature of the mask shield made seeing through the lenses difficult, and it did not work so well. I ended up sticking with the conventional facemask instead.

A note about the comment upthread about GoPro mounts on masks: I'm seeing snorkels with GoPro mounts on the bottom end of them, so a camera or whatever can be attached below your chin. Would make it work upside down, but any images or videos could be flipped. Kind of a slick idea, although I haven't tried it yet. Costco currently sells a mask and fins set with a snorkel mount like that.

I like the idea of a GoPro, but can't get around the high cost, for how I'd use it. Then I found a GoPro knockoff camera at Home Depot, of all places, selling for about $25. It has its own waterproof housing and several attachment pieces. Seems to work well, for what it is. I got a kit with a variety of mount attachments at Amazon, which includes a floating handheld mount for underwater use. Will be interesting to try it out when we're in Cozumel at the end of May. :)

Dave

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
I bought one. Didn't like it. My regular mask and snorkel suited me better. But a guest of ours, a novice snorkeler, rather liked it. It may depend on your level of experience.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
A note about the comment upthread about GoPro mounts on masks: I'm seeing snorkels with GoPro mounts on the bottom end of them, so a camera or whatever can be attached below your chin. Would make it work upside down, but any images or videos could be flipped. Kind of a slick idea, although I haven't tried it yet. Costco currently sells a mask and fins set with a snorkel mount like that.
In my experience, any kind of GoPro mounted to your head for snorkeling produces very poor results. You don't realize how much you turn your head around and move. It makes the video pretty much useless. I prefer a GoPole where you can more easily control where you are pointing it and it also extends the reach. I have also noticed that GoPro mounts on top of the head mostly stick out of the water or partially out of the water while snorkeling, making for poor footage of lapping water.

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
In my experience, any kind of GoPro mounted to your head for snorkeling produces very poor results. You don't realize how much you turn your head around and move. It makes the video pretty much useless. I prefer a GoPole where you can more easily control where you are pointing it and it also extends the reach. I have also noticed that GoPro mounts on top of the head mostly stick out of the water or partially out of the water while snorkeling, making for poor footage of lapping water.

Yup DH reached same conclusion with his GoPro while snorkeling. He had a head mount, and then later bought a pole/stick with wrist strap for hand-held mount. On the stick he can more easily turn camera on/off to save disk space and battery.
I think he has used the head mount while biking, and maybe skiing.