• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First Hawaii trip $$$ Better be worth it!

daventrina

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HVC (Diamond) Platinum HI/US HGV Max
Anyone, HI veterans, care to share their typical expenses to Hawaii?
For us .... the biggest significant cost is the rental car.
Our room is timeshare so its paid in advance.
We generally eat in. Especially for breakfast. Many Times we'll make a picnic for lunch.
If we eat out we don't eat at the fancy places that everyone's raving about.
We do pick Maui Tacos or L&L (or one of the other island style eateries)
If we plan to eat out many times we'll make it a lunch then have snacks on the lanai for dinner.
When we shop for food, we shop for what's on sale. We have a Safeway/Von's card as well as a Makai card from Foodland.
We did go to Mama's a LONG time ago for lunch way back when the prices were reasonable. We'd never dump $300 for dinner there.
Don't care how great everyone says the food is.o_O
So we don't tend to spend significantly more on food that we do at home (but that is currently in central California).

If we buy activities, we usually package them with a timeshare presentation to significantly reduce the cost.

Usually the biggest bill that we have is for air from the dive shop.
YMMV

richardrose

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Royal hawaiin
I might mention that the pacific is the largest , by far, ocean in the world, taking up 1/3 of the earth, and hawaii in in the middle of it, so you fly very far. About 7 hours from la or san francisco. Do like i do, say im going to europe, i fly to nyc and stay for a day or to then onward. First of all it breaks up a overly long trip, 2nd i get cheaper prices to europe. Works the same if you buy your flight on west coast.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I might mention that the pacific is the largest , by far, ocean in the world, taking up 1/3 of the earth, and hawaii in in the middle of it, so you fly very far. About 7 hours from la or san francisco. Do like i do, say im going to europe, i fly to nyc and stay for a day or to then onward. First of all it breaks up a overly long trip, 2nd i get cheaper prices to europe. Works the same if you buy your flight on west coast.
Terminal to Terminal direct flights are usually around 5.5 & 5.75 hrs from either going and a little quicker returning.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
It's worth it if you do it right in terms of sightseeing/ activities. We live in NY and he biggest expenses for us were the airfare and rental car and the condo rental we did in between our timeshare exchanges. We ate in almost the whole time, but food is still expensive. Most things you can do for free or minimal cost. We did attend a Luau, Not our kind of food/entertainment, but you have to do it once they say.

What we did splurge on was a tour up top Mauna Kea on the Big Island. Best experience ever! Worth every penny!

Oh- and a tour boat out on the Napali Coast on Kauai.

Checked out Pearl Harbor while awaiting our red eye flight back to NY.

Oh, and my husband went on an ATV excursion in the mud. (To each his own. LOL!)

We went to The Big Island and Kauai for 21 days. Our son was with us also. I think he was around 12.

Did I mention the $800 prescription snorkel masks we brought with us? We loved snorkeling but now they sit in the closet collecting dust and our eye prescriptions have long since changed. I heard we could have rented prescription masks at some of the beaches that would have been good enough. Live and learn for our next life.

Including everything I could think of I think that trip cost us $8000 if I recall. And this was like 20 years ago.

Last edited:

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't know how you can complain about costs with those great timeshare exchanges. I am in the midst of planning my 12th in 20 years trip to Maui. (12 is to all islands.)The springboard of which started with a $79 one way ticket on Southwest.

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
Don't know how you can complain about costs with those great timeshare exchanges. I am in the midst of planning my 12th in 20 years trip to Maui. (12 is to all islands.)The springboard of which started with a $79 one way ticket on Southwest.
I’m not complaining about costs, simply stating that it’s been the most time consuming and costly trip I’ve put together. As a matter of fact, I think I did pretty good for my first Hawaii trip. I am super stoked about my exchanges. Im not a complainer in anything I do. I was just asking for tips since we’ve never been there.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I’m not complaining about costs, simply stating that it’s been the most time consuming and costly trip I’ve put together. As a matter of fact, I think I did pretty good for my first Hawaii trip. I am super stoked about my exchanges. Im not a complainer in anything I do. I was just asking for tips since we’ve never been there.
Back in 2015 we did a big family trip that turned into my most complicated trip from a planning perspective. My husband and I paid for everything - including everyone's flights. I went early and met my daughter (#3) who was flying from New Zealand to Kauai (she had gone to Europe for 2 months, then to Australia, then to New Zealand), that was two legs for her, and one for me. Then DD#3 and I flew from Kauai to the Big Island - 2 more legs, and met my DD#1 who was flying in from DC - 2 legs, and my husband - 1 leg. Next the four of us flew to Maui (4 more legs) and met my daughter (#2) and her husband - two more legs. Then of course everyone flew home - 7 legs. So a total of 6 people, 21 legs. In addition to keeping everything straight from a scheduling standpoint, some tickets were on Alaska and some were on Hawaiian, and a couple were on American. No one was on a linked PNR. Some were cash and some were miles. It was a crazy, stressful mess, but an excellent trip. After that I decided that all future family trips should be driving distance. :D

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, SHERATON BROADWAY PLANTATION, GRAND PACIFIC PALISADES, SHERATON DESERT OASIS, HYATT COCONUT PLANTATION, RIVERVIEW RESORT
Back in 2015 we did a big family trip that turned into my most complicated trip from a planning perspective. My husband and I paid for everything - including everyone's flights. I went early and met my daughter (#3) who was flying from New Zealand to Kauai (she had gone to Europe for 2 months, then to Australia, then to New Zealand), that was two legs for her, and one for me. Then DD#3 and I flew from Kauai to the Big Island - 2 more legs, and met my DD#1 who was flying in from DC - 2 legs, and my husband - 1 leg. Next the four of us flew to Maui (4 more legs) and met my daughter (#2) and her husband - two more legs. Then of course everyone flew home - 7 legs. So a total of 6 people, 21 legs. In addition to keeping everything straight from a scheduling standpoint, some tickets were on Alaska and some were on Hawaiian, and a couple were on American. No one was on a linked PNR. Some were cash and some were miles. It was a crazy, stressful mess, but an excellent trip. After that I decided that all future family trips should be driving distance. :D
:):thumbup:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Sounds like you'd need to come home to get some rest after all that! Was it a great trip?

I'm starting planning our next trip to Hawaii, for Summer 2020. (Can't remember how many there have been in my lifetime - probably over forty at this point, not counting the years I lived there.) So far I have two timeshare weeks back to back on two islands. Thinking of adding a third stop for a few days on Oahu just to "check in" with my old stomping grounds. I'm hoping the repairs are completed at the Arizona Memorial by then, so we can see it again. Hawaii never gets old, and I figure I'll save money when I get home. :)

Dave

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m trying to bring the cost of the car rental down in Oahu. We’re there from July 9-19 but will be @Hilton in Honolulu for the first 5 days. Thinking I possibly can get away with no car for those days? We do want to visit the historical war monuments and things like that. My kids LOVE history, we all do. Then after that, I’m thinking for the rest of the Ko Olina stay, we can get a car. Wondering if that’s logical?:ponder:

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I’m trying to bring the cost of the car rental down in Oahu. We’re there from July 9-19 but will be @Hilton in Honolulu for the first 5 days. Thinking I possibly can get away with no car for those days? We do want to visit the historical war monuments and things like that. My kids LOVE history, we all do. Then after that, I’m thinking for the rest of the Ko Olina stay, we can get a car. Wondering if that’s logical?:ponder:
How much will it save you? I love the convenience of being able to pick up and go places. For me, it would have to save $300 before I'd give up the convenience of a car, but ymmv.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

If you're staying at the Hilton in Waikiki, you'll have lots of transportation nearby. There are tour buses that go to Pearl Harbor. I'd suggest calling the concierge at the Hilton and asking about how to get to PH from there. As to the rental car itself, you may find renting a car for the day isn't that expensive - check out pickup locations in Waikiki, (not from the airport), and see if rates are lower. I've used the location at "Waikiki Discovery Bay" on Ala Moana Blvd a few times, and it worked great. You can walk there from the HHV. I'd also suggest double-checking Discount Hawaii Car Rental for Waikiki pickup locations, and see how rates are.

Dave

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sounds like you'd need to come home to get some rest after all that! Was it a great trip?

I'm starting planning our next trip to Hawaii, for Summer 2020. (Can't remember how many there have been in my lifetime - probably over forty at this point, not counting the years I lived there.) So far I have two timeshare weeks back to back on two islands. Thinking of adding a third stop for a few days on Oahu just to "check in" with my old stomping grounds. I'm hoping the repairs are completed at the Arizona Memorial by then, so we can see it again. Hawaii never gets old, and I figure I'll save money when I get home. :)

Dave
It was one of our best trips ever - highly recommend three islands over three weeks! You should go for it!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
It was one of our best trips ever - highly recommend three islands over three weeks! You should go for it!

We definitely will. It'll be a four-night hotel stay at the Hale Koa in Waikiki (great place for those with military benefits, on the beach right next to the Hilton Hawaiian Village.) Still too soon to book nights there, but it's on the calendar. That will mean leaving Kauai on Saturday, hopping over to Oahu, and flying home from there on Wednesday. Since this will be my first real trip after I retire, I plan to milk it for all its worth. :)

Dave

taffy19

Reaction score
If the OP wants to do a tour with a particular tour operator or go to a certain Luau or make reservations at a particular restaurant, check online or with a concierge before you leave how far in advance you need to make reservations so you will not be disappointed if it books up days or even weeks in advance and you are no longer there.

This even happened to us on Molokai with few tourists visiting there and in Oahu and Maui too but they had more choices that were doing similar excursions and we still could go.

I always like to go when it is a clear and sunny day but that isn’t always the case. They will not go if it isn’t safe to go.

Your trip to Hawaii will be great and thank you for your service.

itchyfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've found that Costco car rentals are the least expensive for Hawaii. Just keep checking right up until the time you leave. The prices usually drop a lot two or three weeks before date of booking. With Costco you can book, cancel, and rebook when rates drop. Very convenient. Dropping rate may not hold true for around 4th of July but it is worth a try. You could also try AutoSlash. We've used them also. The only problem with them is you have to pay up front, but if you cancel you get a full refund if it is at least one week before the scheduled rental.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We've found that Costco car rentals are the least expensive for Hawaii. Just keep checking right up until the time you leave. The prices usually drop a lot two or three weeks before date of booking. With Costco you can book, cancel, and rebook when rates drop. Very convenient. Dropping rate may not hold true for around 4th of July but it is worth a try. You could also try AutoSlash. We've used them also. The only problem with them is you have to pay up front, but if you cancel you get a full refund if it is at least one week before the scheduled rental.
I'm surprised there hasn't been mention of parking rates in Honolulu. Don't know about fees for Ko-Olina exchanger.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I'm surprised there hasn't been mention of parking rates in Honolulu. Don't know about fees for Ko-Olina exchanger.
Exchangers don't pay parking fees (on the 1st vehicle).

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

We were at the Hilton in Waikiki in late February and just rented a car for one day. National Car Rental has a facility right in the Hilton Hawaiian Village and they keep their cars in the Hilton parking garage. We just reserved a mid-size or something like that, but got a Range Rover convertible for only $65 all taxes included. Be sure to reserve the car in advance and use the Hilton Hawaiian Village as the pick-up/drop-off point. In that one day rental, we went to Pearl Harbor, drove over to se KoOlina, and then drove all the way around the island to the north shore and back down by Koko Head. Still got back to Waikiki in time for dinner. By doing the one day rental, we avoided an overnight and paying the Hilton parking charge. When we went over to Duke's in central Waikiki for dinner one night, we took Uber there and back.

Caligirlfrtx

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We were at the Hilton in Waikiki in late February and just rented a car for one day. National Car Rental has a facility right in the Hilton Hawaiian Village and they keep their cars in the Hilton parking garage. We just reserved a mid-size or something like that, but got a Range Rover convertible for only $65 all taxes included. Be sure to reserve the car in advance and use the Hilton Hawaiian Village as the pick-up/drop-off point. In that one day rental, we went to Pearl Harbor, drove over to se KoOlina, and then drove all the way around the island to the north shore and back down by Koko Head. Still got back to Waikiki in time for dinner. By doing the one day rental, we avoided an overnight and paying the Hilton parking charge. When we went over to Duke's in central Waikiki for dinner one night, we took Uber there and back.
Thank you so much! You answer the question forgot to ask, I was wondering if Hilton had a rental onsite

Last edited:

cerralee

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Recently returned from a four week visit to Honolulu. Some of the timeshares we stayed at offered free parking or a reasonable weekly rate. We had to fill in a few days at resorts around the Hilton Hawaii village and found parking was expensive and inconvenient. We signed up with Lyft and made several trips for under $10 each way to local places. That included a decent tip.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
Consider getting an Alaska Airlines credit card. You pay $75 when approved, but you then get a companion ticket, so your 2nd ticket to Hawaii will only cost $125. They fly out of several east coast cities and all 4 of the main islands.

https://secure.bankofamerica.com/applynow/welcome.go

Don't book the inter island flight with you mainland flight. If you have any American miles, you can book an inter island flight for 7,500 miles. Otherwise book it through Hawaiian Airlines.

Book the rental car through Costco or Discount Hawaii Car Rental: https://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Keep checking prices and cancel and rebook if they go down. You probably don't need a car if you're staying in Waikiki, but certainly will on the Big Island.

Have you, or anyone else ever had an issue with discount car rental?

Just looked for prices and for 2 weeks in November 2020 for a mid size car they are about $800 total
Costco is about $200 more

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Have you, or anyone else ever had an issue with discount car rental?

Just looked for prices and for 2 weeks in November 2020 for a mid size car they are about $800 total
Costco is about $200 more
I've always heard good things about Discount Car Rental, but whenever I tried to book with them they could never beat the price I got through Costco. Currently though I've been getting the best rates with AutoSlash. I'll book a reservation through Costco, then register it with AutoSlash so that they monitor and notify me when a lower price is found.

Gypsy65

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HIVC
I just booked a Jeep with the discount company

Can’t yet register with auto slash, dates don’t go far enough yet for our travel time

Will check that as well as Costco in the next few months

Thanks for the info