• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are some things you say that make you feel old?

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Lately I find I’m wondering which remote control to pick up. I think we have three or four in every room. And they’re all a little different.
Some years ago, I got a Harmony remote at Costco (where else?). It really saves the day. I haven't got it working with every connected device, but it sure integrates the TV/Audio?DVD/Cable box/DVR easily. I use the original 'smart' remote and Amazon Fire remote when I watch Amazon Prime videos because I never set up the Harmony for the Fire thingy (or if it's possible). But for the main 95% of our TV watching, the Harmony works well.

Jim

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Some years ago, I got a Harmony remote at Costco (where else?). It really saves the day. I haven't got it working with every connected device, but it sure integrates the TV/Audio?DVD/Cable box/DVR easily. I use the original 'smart' remote and Amazon Fire remote when I watch Amazon Prime videos because I never set up the Harmony for the Fire thingy (or if it's possible). But for the main 95% of our TV watching, the Harmony works well.

Jim

I like those. I had one of those several years ago, but then equipment changed, and I never got around to updating things. Then the batteries leaked, it became useless. Haven’t gotten around to buying a new one. It worked great for awhile, though.

Dave

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
How about "30 years sure has been a long time to be paying for these timeshares"?

:cool:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
"I don't remember."

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I have too many senior moments to remember.

Last edited:

CanuckTravlr

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Ocean 22
I love this thread. I can relate to almost all of it!! :oops::cool:

For me, it is when I make reference to something to make a point in a conversation and get a blank stare back. I then have to backtrack and explain what it refers to, realizing that it is something from a time before they were even born!!! :rolleyes::bawl::shrug:

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
When I was fifty, a young man was hired in my department. He thought it was just so sweet that my husband could still play golf. He made a lot of comments as if I had one foot in the grave. He’s been there 25 years now, and I just saw his retirement picture. He didn’t look like a nursing home candidate

fer829

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham points (Limited Edition expires 2023)
I love this thread. I can relate to almost all of it!! :oops::cool:

For me, it is when I make reference to something to make a point in a conversation and get a blank stare back. I then have to backtrack and explain what it refers to, realizing that it is something from a time before they were even born!!! :rolleyes::bawl::shrug:

Well "cowabunga", who woulda thought that ever happens!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Remembering when my Mom would tell me to go "turn the channel" on the TV. The only way to "turn" a channel is when the TV has a dial. Nowadays, my TV doesn't even have an On/Off switch - it's a button. :)

Dave

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Remembering when my Mom would tell me to go "turn the channel" on the TV. The only way to "turn" a channel is when the TV has a dial. Nowadays, my TV doesn't even have an On/Off switch - it's a button. :)

Dave

And since I was the youngest I was the one that had to hold the rabbit ears if it was a bad reception night.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
And since I was the youngest I was the one that had to hold the rabbit ears if it was a bad reception night.

We had tinfoil for that. :)

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
And that dial would break so you would have to keep a pair of pliers handy so you could change the channel.

So you visited our house? :D

Dave

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
What makes me feel old is not something I say, but what I don't say. Like when I don't remember someone's name or how I know them (when I should know that information well).

It happened to me last night at a charity auction. There was a person there who served on an usher team with me for more than five years, and while I recognized him I couldn't place him or remember his name. Then about five minutes later, I remembered.

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some

We had tinfoil for that. :)

Dave

And that dial would break so you would have to keep a pair of pliers handy so you could change the channel.

So, rather than that, now you pay $100/month to get 200 channels, 198 of which you never watch.

FWIW, our first "remote" was about 1963, and it was mechanical, a "clicker" that made the channels rotate . . . click, click, click, click, click, click, click

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
So, rather than that, now you pay $100/month to get 200 channels, 198 of which you never watch.

FWIW, our first "remote" was about 1963, and it was mechanical, a "clicker" that made the channels rotate . . . click, click, click, click, click, click, click

I know, right? :) I have things on the TV remote set to "Favorite" channels, which removes all those lame ones from the listings. I cycle through them a few times, decide "There's nothing to watch" and put it on some home improvement show I've seen ten times. Some things haven't changed. ;)

I know about the mechanical clicker thing from the early days of remote. The one we had carried a fancy name, like "RCA SPACE COMMAND" or something. It sounds even better saying it really slowly, and if you make your voice echo, like in the old Sci-Fi movies: "SSSS-PP-A-C-E C-O-M-M-AA-NNN-DDDDD!!!!!!!!!" Ah yes, life's little pleasures. ;)

Dave

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Yep, we had the mechanical clicker too.