• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Retirees Are Flocking to These 3 States - and Fleeing These 3 States in Droves

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
However I have intense arthritis and I know FL will be bad for me .

Based on the Medical Services map in Conan's post last Friday, International Falls, would be a good place.

:cool:

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
If he didn't have time to do his homework before your interview, then he's most likely not organized or motivated enough for you to hire him.

I'm confused though. Is the home you mention above where 3 realtors from different companies presented a Comparative Market Analysis the home you felt the suggested listing price was overpriced?
That sounds like a great relationship and a balance of helping and allowing freedom. I have gained numerous friends and found a place to just breathe, learn and exercise at one of our city owned and managed Senior Centers. It allows me to get away for half a day twice a week from the stress of having my 97 year old mother living with us. Even though Mother has provided much help to us, having a parent living in one's home requires some time to oneself (as does having a retired husband :)).

I can so relate to this. My mother lives with us also. She will be 90 this year. I still work full-time but someday when I no longer work full-time, and if she is still with us, I will have to spend some scheduled time away from the house.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
This is my quandary with FL, I love the water and it's literally my happy place. However I have intense arthritis and I know FL will be bad for me and I'm also looking at AZ and Nevada but the fact that I will not be on water and can not have my boat is just a killer for me...ugh...
Disagree, I have severe arthritis and do fine in Florida and had same problems in Arizona with arthritis.

bbodb1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Based on the Medical Services map in Conan's post last Friday, International Falls, would be a good place.

:cool:

Frostbite falls?

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Yeah, with Boris and Natasha.

chalee94

TUG Member
Reaction score
A man actually moving back to NY from Florida. (How often do you ever hear of that?! Florida to NY instead of visa versa. LOL!)

A friend who works as a doctor at a retirement community in NC says that it's not uncommon for northerners who retire to FL to have issues with the move, but many wind up settling in NC. They call them "half-backs." :)

Quiet Pine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis
I'm also looking at AZ and Nevada but the fact that I will not be on water and can not have my boat is just a killer for me
AZ and waterfront aren't mutually exclusive. I live in Scottsdale Ranch that includes Lake Serena with about 5 miles of coastline. Homes on the lake all have docks. At Christmas, there's a boat parade and residents vote for the best decorations. However, boats are limited to 21' and may be powered only by a conventional battery-operated motor.

Scottsdale Ranch Waterfront Homes

Scottsdale Ranch is home to over 250 waterfront homes that surround Lake Serena. Scottsdale Ranch, a 1,100 acre residential development, has townhouses, condominiums, single family and patio homes.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I can so relate to this. My mother lives with us also. She will be 90 this year. I still work full-time but someday when I no longer work full-time, and if she is still with us, I will have to spend some scheduled time away from the house.

Yes, it's important that you do. I feel guilty as she would like to go somewhere every day if I'd take her. I try to alternate, or combine, things I need/want to do with things she needs/wants to do. But there are times I just need out of the house alone or I feel I will go crazy! Having classes at the Senior Center gives me that scheduled out.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
So just back on the real estate guy that came to our home on Saturday, he never sent us the appraisal as I suspected he wouldn't. So he is out! Just as I said- I do not like real estate people. Even the one in NH referred by the same company never called me back. Goodbye.

Previous to him coming to our home, he had sent me a link to his website with a supposed "account" set up. There is a tool on there where you can put in your address and it will give you an estimate of market value, so I decided to use it.

Our home came up at $276,000-$286,000. (again, a lot of info. about our home is not recorded).

Then, per my brother's advice I went on Zillow and then deducted 10%. Zillow had it at $322,000. Taking 10% off would be $290,000.

The town assessor has it at $266,000.

Another tool I used from another real estate guy that sends me emails said $229,000 - $358,000. LOL!

Again, not all improvements over the 31 years are recorded.

So, we are thinking if everything is the same next year we would possibly list it ourselves for $279,000. Or maybe we will hire a professional appraiser. Really, with the internet today and a real estate person not even having to do an estimate for a sale price, why do we need one? We have to pay then 5 or 6% for what? I will keep reading my "How to Sell Your Home Yourself" book. I will put the house on Craigslist, Trulia, Zillow, Redfin. Have a nice big professional sign made up. And get an atty. Maybe pay for an inspection, or just wait and have the buyers pay for one and see what happens.

Heck- at such a low price for our home, as it is we will be looking for a tent to live in. Having to pay closing costs and then a commission and the attorney fees and any "fixes" an inspection might demand on top of that? What will be left? Then moving costs? SMH.....

What a shame. The house is so much nicer than it's market value and I am not just saying that because it is my house. Heck- the land alone should be worth $100,000. But- that is reality. That is the way it is here.

We might have to move to a state like Alabama! Holy cow!

Last edited:

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
My experience with Zillow is that they drastically under value homes. When we sold our last House we sold it for way more than Zillow said it was worth. Our real estate agent recommended filing an action against Zillow. My computer son has met with both firms. He feels REDFIN is more accurate.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
My experience with Zillow is that they drastically under value homes. When we sold our last House we sold it for way more than Zillow said it was worth. Our real estate agent recommended filing an action against Zillow. My computer son has met with both firms. He feels REDFIN is more accurate.

I just tried Redfin and it said an estimate is not available for my home.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You could find a nice place in Idaho for that kind of money- not in a city or resort area, but, say within an hour or so, surrounded with mountains, water nearby. Not that there is anything wrong with Alabama, but. . . .

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
You could find a nice place in Idaho for that kind of money- not in a city or resort area, but, say within an hour or so, surrounded with mountains, water nearby. Not that there is anything wrong with Alabama, but. . . .

Really? Well then- that is good news!

I get a bit depressed when I think about this whole scenario. As I have mentioned in the past, Idaho is a state we would definitely consider moving to. Phew! There is hope!

Alabama I am sure is nice, but then- humidity and tornadoes......no.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Funny, my feeling is that Zillow drastically overvalues homes.

The truth is that they are only as accurate as the laws/policies in your state/area. For instance, Florida is a public information state, and every real property sale is public information, so Zillow uses the actual sale prices. In states that are not public information states, Zillow looks at listing prices, not sale prices.

When I apply it to our houses, I figure they are worth what the house next door sells for, if it's like our house.

I look at Zillow almost every day, and in Florida it's right on the button, except if a property has been purchased as a foreclosure or tax deed, or something outside mainstream real estate. Also in Florida, you can go to the County Assessor's sites, click on a map, click on a parcel, and get all the actual true figures.

Having said all that, I just looked at Zillow, which I have in my Favorites Bar, and our two houses are valued just the opposite of what I said.

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why do we need one? We have to pay then 5 or 6% for what?

I can go both ways on this. When I sold our house after I retired I did it myself. When I sold my Son's house I used a RE Agent. The difference was demand. Our house was newer and in a growing area where prices were going up. My Son's house was 40 years old, in a declining neighborhood, not occupied and with little curb appeal. In the latter case I went with the RE Agent. I compared 4 or 5 months of expenses (mortgage payment, utilities, etc.) to the RE Agent's commission. With our house I figured there would be people bidding against each other for it. In the case of my Son's house I was worried no one would even want to look at it. The RE Agent convinced me to list it for about $10,000 more than I thought it was worth. He ginned up 25 lookers and one bought paying the asking price. I don't think I could have done this myself and consider his commission money well spent...

George

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@mpumilia If you don't use an agent to list, are you willing to pay for buyers' agent to widen the market? I agree in this age of internet, almost all buyers look for listing information on their own. However, if there is no commission for buyers' agent, then agents will not promote your home and also steer buyers away from your home.

Personally I am ambivalent as to whether one should use an agent. I have always used an agent because it is the easier route but I absolutely believe one can sell their own home and save a pretty buck.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
@mpumilia If you don't use an agent to list, are you willing to pay for buyers' agent to widen the market? I agree in this age of internet, almost all buyers look for listing information on their own. However, if there is no commission for buyers' agent, then agents will not promote your home and also steer buyers away from your home.

Personally I am ambivalent as to whether one should use an agent. I have always used an agent because it is the easier route but I absolutely believe one can sell their own home and save a pretty buck.

I suppose so. Good point you make. At this point we might try anything. We lose before we even start no matter what.

Meanwhile, I had shut my cell phone off at 4:30 pm yesterday. Wouldn't you know the real estate agent called and left a message if he could call me at 10 am today.

So I called back at 9am (waited 'till then since I figured it was business hours.) I got his voice mail and left a message that 10am would be fine. Have not heard from him.

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
A neighbor who recently sold said that only two showed up to look at his house through multiple listing through other agents. Apparently agents in this area don’t want to share the commission with another agency.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
AZ and waterfront aren't mutually exclusive. I live in Scottsdale Ranch that includes Lake Serena with about 5 miles of coastline. Homes on the lake all have docks. At Christmas, there's a boat parade and residents vote for the best decorations. However, boats are limited to 21' and may be powered only by a conventional battery-operated motor.

Scottsdale Ranch Waterfront Homes

Scottsdale Ranch is home to over 250 waterfront homes that surround Lake Serena. Scottsdale Ranch, a 1,100 acre residential development, has townhouses, condominiums, single family and patio homes.

Wow, Thank you, I had no idea that this place existed.

Quiet Pine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Desert Oasis

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
So just back on the real estate guy that came to our home on Saturday, he never sent us the appraisal as I suspected he wouldn't. So he is out! Just as I said- I do not like real estate people. Even the one in NH referred by the same company never called me back. Goodbye.

Previous to him coming to our home, he had sent me a link to his website with a supposed "account" set up. There is a tool on there where you can put in your address and it will give you an estimate of market value, so I decided to use it.

Our home came up at $276,000-$286,000. (again, a lot of info. about our home is not recorded).

Then, per my brother's advice I went on Zillow and then deducted 10%. Zillow had it at $322,000. Taking 10% off would be $290,000.

The town assessor has it at $266,000.

Another tool I used from another real estate guy that sends me emails said $229,000 - $358,000. LOL!

Again, not all improvements over the 31 years are recorded.

So, we are thinking if everything is the same next year we would possibly list it ourselves for $279,000. Or maybe we will hire a professional appraiser. Really, with the internet today and a real estate person not even having to do an estimate for a sale price, why do we need one? We have to pay then 5 or 6% for what? I will keep reading my "How to Sell Your Home Yourself" book. I will put the house on Craigslist, Trulia, Zillow, Redfin. Have a nice big professional sign made up. And get an atty. Maybe pay for an inspection, or just wait and have the buyers pay for one and see what happens.

Heck- at such a low price for our home, as it is we will be looking for a tent to live in. Having to pay closing costs and then a commission and the attorney fees and any "fixes" an inspection might demand on top of that? What will be left? Then moving costs? SMH.....

What a shame. The house is so much nicer than it's market value and I am not just saying that because it is my house. Heck- the land alone should be worth $100,000. But- that is reality. That is the way it is here.

That realtor does not want to sell your house and I would agree, I would just sell it yourself

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark

It must depend on the area, or the market in general. We watched Zillow as friends had their home listed and kept quoting Zillow at us. Way too high. Ultimately decided to stay put because they couldn't get an offer for the inflated Zillow number, which was good because their friend who had moved down to that area three years previously turned around and came back to this area, and that was the main reason they were moving. What they didn't do, no matter how many times we told them they needed to, is go into any Open House they could find in our area to find out how they stacked up. Familiarizing yourself with what is selling and for how much is invaluable. On the down side, the last 4 houses we bought, all within a 10-12 minute drive from each other, were because we were regularly going to Open Houses and/or reading the weekend real estate section to see what was available.

On the other hand, the house next to us sold about 18 months ago, and Zillow was pretty much right on with the estimate. The friends in the above scenario were trying to sell 6-7 years ago. I think the difference in Zillow accuracy had to do with a stable market vs one recovering from the recession.