• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Jeopardy! (The James Holzhauer Show)

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
This young man has fundamentally changed the way the game is played. Ken Jennings mused that starting with the big money questions would be a winning strategy by amassing money and collecting Daily Double questions and denying them from other players.

Holzhauer has such quick responses and is so knowledgeable on a variety of subjects that he will be difficult to unseat. I think the only way will be if he goes 'all in' and misses the clue late in a game.

I have even considered the end of Jeopardy! if he scares off other players, and Alex Trebec's pancreatic cancer doesn't go well.

Jim

Last edited:

Lydlady

TUG Member
Reaction score
The end of Jeopardy?! Wow, I never thought of that possibility. But this guy is incredible. I am amazed that one person has that much knowledge. I keep thinking there must be some category that he doesn't know all that well but so far he seems to know it all.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I'm a fan. And you can't help but love the hang-dog expressions on the faces of the contestants he beats. Some have done decently well, and with any other champ they might have a chance of winning, but James is just continually kicking serious butt. Even if he loses at this point, he holds all five of the top five one-day winning amounts, so he'll be on the charts for a long time - maybe forever.

Ken Jennings won 74 games in a row. If James does that, the sponsors may have to take out a loan to pay him. At 14 days(?) he's already won over $1 Million. If he wins these kind of amounts for another 60 days? Holey cow! :)

Go James!

Dave

dsmrp

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Vistana, Waikoloa Bay Club, Hyatt Pinon Pt
I don't think Jeopardy has any rules limiting daily winners to a maximum amount of shows. A long long time ago the max was 5 shows.

I watch Jeopardy now to see if Holzhauer wins. He's a professional gambler, so
he doesn't flinch at those big dbl &final Jeopardy wagers.

Yeah I'm not sure if another contestant can beat him. Maybe he'll get tired of playing Jeopardy, or the producers say enuf is enough?? :shrug:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I don't think Jeopardy has any rules limiting daily winners to a maximum amount of shows. A long long time ago the max was 5 shows.

I watch Jeopardy now to see if Holzhauer wins. He's a professional gambler, so
he doesn't flinch at those big dbl &final Jeopardy wagers.

Yeah I'm not sure if another contestant can beat him. Maybe he'll get tired of playing Jeopardy, or the producers say enuf is enough?? :shrug:

They used to have the five game limit on wins, but then decided to let a champ win as many times as they can. That's how Ken Jennings won so many times. At this rate, I expect (hope?) James wins a lot. He's making the show very interesting, and I can tell Alex is enjoying things. Given Alex's health issues, it's a good way to spend what may be his last season on the show.

Dave

Timeshare Von

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham (77k points at Myrtle Beach/Westwinds)
He's been pretty amazing to watch. Last night I was shocked when he missed one of the $1,600 questions.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
There was an article about James in our newspaper today- after his $131,XXX winnings on yesterday's show. It hinted that we may not know until September the final outcome for him. He said that at home in Las Vegas he's recognized, so my takeaway is that he's returned to his 'regular' life. I've often wondered, and do any of you know how many shows they tape at a time? Ken Jennings said that one thing that kept him from making huge 'Final Jeopardy' bets- like James' $60,000 one was that he (Ken) didn't want to lose a years' pay on one trivia wager and have to come back in 5 minutes and play again against new contestants.

Jim

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe they do five shows in a day. What I am wondering is when they will go to reruns. In that case, he may have to come back in the fall to finish his run.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I believe they do five shows in a day. What I am wondering is when they will go to reruns. In that case, he may have to come back in the fall to finish his run.

I think they tape five at a time, four days in a row, every month. So they never really go to reruns. Jeopardy does a lot of special tournaments and such, and then they go back to the regular shows. My local network shows rerun episodes on weekends. But Monday to Friday it’s “live” stuff.

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think they tape five at a time, four days in a row, every month. So they never really go to reruns. Jeopardy does a lot of special tournaments and such, and then they go back to the regular shows. My local network shows rerun episodes on weekends. But Monday to Friday it’s “live” stuff.
Hmmm. We get an hour of Jeopardy! every weeknight. The first half hour is from one year ago (handy for those of us without short-term memory) and the second half hour is 'today's fresh show. At the Boise digs, they show recycled shows on the weekend but just the fresh one on weeknights.

So apparently they have the shows out to September 'in the can' and we'll have to wait until after that to find out if James is still king of the hill. He mentioned that his goal is to beat out Ken Jenning's $2.5 million. Wouldn't it be something if he resigns undefeated?

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score

Dave
They rerun the tournaments for sure on our networks.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Hmmm. We get an hour of Jeopardy! every weeknight. The first half hour is from one year ago (handy for those of us without short-term memory) and the second half hour is 'today's fresh show. At the Boise digs, they show recycled shows on the weekend but just the fresh one on weeknights.

So apparently they have the shows out to September 'in the can' and we'll have to wait until after that to find out if James is still king of the hill. He mentioned that his goal is to beat out Ken Jenning's $2.5 million. Wouldn't it be something if he resigns undefeated?

My local Seattle channel has a half hour of Jeopardy after a half hour of Wheel of Fortune on weeknights. It must be a syndication thing?

If James can beat Ken Jennings' numbers, that'd be excellent. And no matter how he finishes, you know he'll be back for the Tournament of Champions. He's definitely the best I've ever seen on the show.

Dave

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
It's interesting that the Game Show Gary Progressive Insurance TV commercial is running, about a "Jeopardy" contestant that knows everything.

I don't normally watch, but you sorta have to right now, and he kills with his Daily Doubles.

#1 Cowboys Fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's no real way to do this, but------------------
I wish when they had the Tournament of Champions, and best of the best, etc., that they could find a way
to eliminate (or at least 'lessen') the first to 'ring in'.

On every show, you see the contestants simultaneously trying to buzz in FIRST---but of course only ONE gets in.

During the CHAMPIONS, I think often 2 or even 3 of the players know the answer----but are at the mercy of the 'buzzer'.

Too bad there wasn't a way to see that Ken knew 51 of the 60 questions, James knew 53 of the 60, etc.

Pat

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
A local girl won the teen tournament, she said they all knew most of the answers.
Incidentally, she endured a lot of hateful Facebook and media comments, and harassment at school.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
There's no real way to do this, but------------------
I wish when they had the Tournament of Champions, and best of the best, etc., that they could find a way
to eliminate (or at least 'lessen') the first to 'ring in'.

On every show, you see the contestants simultaneously trying to buzz in FIRST---but of course only ONE gets in.

During the CHAMPIONS, I think often 2 or even 3 of the players know the answer----but are at the mercy of the 'buzzer'.

Too bad there wasn't a way to see that Ken knew 51 of the 60 questions, James knew 53 of the 60, etc.
Pat, Your thought was echoed by Austin Rodgers who was a high winning champion last year. He said that the race to the buzzer is very real, as virtually all the contestants know the majority of the questions. I have thought for a long time that the producers could put on a tournament of #2 winners. Give the runners-up a chance at some more money, or perhaps to compete for another shot at being a contestant. I'd also like to see #2 & #3 get more than $1,000 and $2,000 respectively, (maybe the amount they've amassed?) but that's another thing.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I have thought for a long time that the producers could put on a tournament of #2 winners. Give the runners-up a chance at some more money, or perhaps to compete for another shot at being a contestant. I'd also like to see #2 & #3 get more than $1,000 and $2,000 respectively, (maybe the amount they've amassed?) but that's another thing.

There is no shortage of losing contestants, nor of new contestant-wannabes. I suspect a lot of the choices are made on who they think would make good TV.

I think it used to be that losing contestants got to keep their total winning amounts. It changed st some point, but I don’t know why.

Dave

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t believe they ever got the amount they earned if they did not win. It is a game of rank, only number one wins.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I think it used to be that losing contestants got to keep their total winning amounts. It changed st some point, but I don’t know why.

Dave

Got that confused with Wheel of Fortune?

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Got that confused with Wheel of Fortune?

No, I'm sure it was on Jeopardy. So off to Google I went. And here's what it says on https://thejeopardyfan.com/2016/11/why-does-only-the-winner-keep-the-cash.html page, quoting from "The Jeopardy Book" :

"When the show was in preparation to return to air in 1984, there was much discussion about this issue, and here are the reasons this change to the game was made. The sums of money a contestant can win on Jeopardy! are much greater now than in the original version of the show. For example, Burns Cameron, the Tournament of Champions winner in 1966, took home just over $11,000. Compare that to the $172,000 won by Chuck Forrest in 1984 [sic], and it becomes clear that we are dealing with a different sort of game. So we realized that in the new version of the show, three players could very easily reach Final Jeopardy! with five or six thousand dollars each. One or two of the contestants could look at the category, which might be Nuclear Physics, realize they have little knowledge in this area, and conclude that it will be nice to go home with $5,000 in their pockets. They would wager nothing. In the older version of the show, with just a few hundred dollars involved, most contestants would take a whirl at it and risk it all with the hope of winning.

Even then, some were content to leave with small sums. “Some of the contestants were there just to pick up cash,” recalls the show’s first producer, Bob Rubin. “Once they built up a little money, they would protect it, wouldn’t risk much, and didn’t care if they came back on the show the next day. Others were only interested in winning, risked everything, and that made for the excitement. Women contestants were more apt to be protective of the money than men.” There was one male contestant, however, who appeared on the show in 1967 with the express purpose of winning enough money to buy an engagement ring. He won a sufficient amount for the ring midway through the game and kept his mouth shut from there on. He did, by the way, purchase the ring, marry the girl, and remains married to her twenty-three years later.

But when the show returned in 1984, we knew that it was going to be sold largely for early evening time-slots, competing with reruns of sitcoms, and later, those tabloid shows; our product had to be exciting, and the key was a horse-race to the finish of Final Jeopardy! the other problem we anticipated was that if a contestant was running away with the show—$14,000 to, say, $5,000—the contestants with less money, knowing they cannot possibly win unless the leader made a historic blunder, would not even participate. So by changing the rule to allowing only the winner to keep the cash (although there are occasions when someone is so far ahead Final Jeopardy! has no suspense) more often than not the outcome of the game remains undecided until the final seconds.

We feel this rule change put even more jeopardy in Jeopardy!"

All the above makes good sense. So I guess what I remember was "old" Jeopardy contestants keeping the money. "New" Jeopardy contestants only keep the money if they win. :thumbup:

Dave

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
My friend was on Jeopardy. She added an s or left it off on final jeopardy, she was the winner and then they decided against her. $18000

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
No, I'm sure it was on Jeopardy. So off to Google I went. And here's what it says on https://thejeopardyfan.com/2016/11/why-does-only-the-winner-keep-the-cash.html page, quoting from "The Jeopardy Book" :

<SNIP>

We feel this rule change put even more jeopardy in Jeopardy!"

All the above makes good sense. So I guess what I remember was "old" Jeopardy contestants keeping the money. "New" Jeopardy contestants only keep the money if they win. :thumbup:
Thanks for the research. It seems they thought it through.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I have known several people that have been on Jeopardy. One did the New York Times Crossword in Ink and with a 15 minute timer. He said the real Jeopardy is so different from the tryouts. He had brain freeze and finished last.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I have known several people that have been on Jeopardy. One did the New York Times Crossword in Ink and with a 15 minute timer. He said the real Jeopardy is so different from the tryouts. He had brain freeze and finished last.

I'm reminded of Weird Al Yankovic's "I Lost On Jeopardy" song. I like to think I'm pretty smart, but some of these Jeopardy contestants make me feel like a drooling idiot. :)

Dave