• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Retirees Are Flocking to These 3 States - and Fleeing These 3 States in Droves

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
QUOTE: Sugarcubesea: "Five of my colleagues have purchased 2nd homes / condos in FL and or AZ and they picked communities that have a very active social life... That is my goal because all of those folks are starting from ground zero so they all start to make new friends around them."

I so wish we could buy our next home before we sell our home. That would make me feel very secure knowing we have something to go to and we could even start working on moving things into it right now. Most people I know have also done this. Unfortunately, we can't afford it.

I have been contacting real estate people in New England. Homes are snapped up in days. And the 55+ communities have no resales at all!

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Exactly. :) My best friend from high school and I are still great friends. We live on opposite coasts, although we're regularly in touch online. I see him from time to time, and it's just like that - the conversations pick up as if we were never apart. I'll be seeing him and his wife again next month, when they join us on the cruise we're taking to the Yucatan.

Dave

It is like that with our friends also. We have a once per year reunion at our home with like 20 of them and it is so much fun.

My best friend though now has a new best friend because we do not see each other. Understandable. But we still love each other. In fact, she just recently called me and we were on the phone for like 2 hours.

Facebook has been great as well to keep in touch with people. Again- take what I can get!

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Following on to my earlier comment, (which may have seemed rather insensitive, unintentionally), I should probably explain that my entire life has been lived out of a suitcase, more or less. There has never been long-term stability provided by location or close family ties. Stability in my world is self-made, and always has been. I never doubted the abiding love and support of my family, but I was terribly independent at an early age, and things haven't changed.

I see things similarly. The day after I graduated from High School I moved out of my parents house (my choice). Obviously family wasn't all that important to me. I have 2 kids. 3 grand kids and 2 ex-wives none of which I see more than once or twice a year. On the other hand I talk to all but the grand kids a couple of times a week and often trade emails with them all. And this includes my 2 ex-wives! I also have a Brother who is 8 years younger than me. We talk twice a year. I call him on his birthday and he calls me on mine. Each time we talk for about 2 hours and catch up on each other's lives. Basically I am happy being uncoupled...

George

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
I have really been blessed my whole life. My mother and father were the definition of stability. They lived in the same house for all of mine and my siblings lives. No abuse from my parents and no addiction, my siblings either. My father bought their retirement home in 1973 in Wisconsin where we vacationed every year. Now we went more often and they are all great memories.

I moved to go to college at that house before my father retired and my brother did the same before me. Neither of us finished college it went on to stable work with both of us married and live in that same town.

We raised our son and daughter in a house we owned for 20 years and then moved a little out of town in a subdivision 15 years ago. Our daughter bought her house at 20 and moved out and our son did the same at 19. My daughter moved away for her career and we see her once a year or every other year. But we see her and communicate online. Our son still lives in town. He is 20 now and owns his house and only works part time now because he doesn’t need the money. Both our kids are single with nothing on the horizon.

Our kids grew up and got busy with their lives just like we did. With everyone working seeing each other is difficult and it only gets worse as you get older.

It is very nice that we were able to buy our retirement condo while we are still working. We are meeting people and slowly doing things to make it the way we want. It does help that the cost of both of our houses are very reasonable. Both of them are valued less than many peoples main home. We started downsizing with our first move and continued with our condo purchase.

For us, we have not changed our lifestyle. We live the way we want. We raised our kids to be self sufficient and a part of ours lives but not the center our lives. Things may change in the future, they usually do. We don’t know what we’ll do if my wife or I pass but we’ll figure that out as we go along.

Getting old is rough but right now we are looking forward to retirement and what that brings before we start looking past that. Again, I have been blessed.

Last edited:

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Some where, over the rainbow, where I imagine the grass is greener, the days are warmer and the sky is bluer, is a place I thought I would retire to.

Now I realize that I am the rainbow.

Bill

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef
QUOTE: Sugarcubesea: "Five of my colleagues have purchased 2nd homes / condos in FL and or AZ and they picked communities that have a very active social life... That is my goal because all of those folks are starting from ground zero so they all start to make new friends around them."

I so wish we could buy our next home before we sell our home. That would make me feel very secure knowing we have something to go to and we could even start working on moving things into it right now. Most people I know have also done this. Unfortunately, we can't afford it.

I have been contacting real estate people in New England. Homes are snapped up in days. And the 55+ communities have no resales at all!

Each of my colleagues that purchased homes / condo's did so by taking out mortgages, each of them are either 62, 63 or 64 and are closer to retirement than I am at 57. My closest work buddy who is 64, sold his main residence first, used most of those funds for the 2nd home and then him and the wife moved into an apartment that has a 1 year lease and will move to their new condo this December in Daytona Beach.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Some where, over the rainbow, where I imagine the grass is greener, the days are warmer and the sky is bluer, is a place I thought I would retire to.

Now I realize that I am the rainbow.

Bill

Wow.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Each of my colleagues that purchased homes / condo's did so by taking out mortgages, each of them are either 62, 63 or 64 and are closer to retirement than I am at 57. My closest work buddy who is 64, sold his main residence first, used most of those funds for the 2nd home and then him and the wife moved into an apartment that has a 1 year lease and will move to their new condo this December in Daytona Beach.

My husband also says maybe we could take out a mortgage but he will be stopping work so I say no way and so does our Financial Planner, he is adamant about a cash purchase and I agree. Not to mention the other expenses of carrying 2 homes. If ours doesn't sell for some reason or other issues pop up with the sale- it could really hurt us.

We had a realtor come over yesterday but he says he needs time to do the comps and so on and will be in touch on Thursday. Why so long with this info. I have no idea.

Renting really is the best option financially- but not for too long- or it will not be good either. Then there is the cost of the PODS storage.....

If my husband would not need a garage I think we could MAYBE afford to buy a cheapy (I am talking like under $100,000), tiny condo in Waterville Valley, NH, ( a resort town with pools and activities- not 55+- all ages) but long term I am not sure he could handle living in a small place, especially in an area with long winters. I could tolerate it for awhile until our home sold and then we could possibly update the kitchen and a few things later on and I would be ok with it.

Last edited:

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If my husband would not need a garage I think we could MAYBE afford to buy a cheapy (I am talking like under $100,000), tiny condo in Waterville Valley, NH, ( a resort town with pools and activities- not 55+- all ages) but long term I am not sure he could handle living in a small place, especially in an area with long winters. I could tolerate it for awhile until our home sold and then we could possibly update the kitchen and a few things later on and I would be ok with it.

You will be in for a shock when you start looking at cheapy condos. When we were moving out of California and out of our large home, my son had to look for a small place for himself. I tried to steer him towards a small newish house but he was set on buying a cheap condo. He finally picked one, made an offer and got a home inspector in. The list of fixes needed was very long and many of them depended on HOA to fix structurally. He tried to contact the HOA and was ignored. He finally looked at a brand new development that I had put a deposit on months before on his behalf which he went nuclear on me because he did not like the area and of course it was also because I had picked it. I had to cancel and get back my deposit. He then chose a home that was going to be built at the same development and he now loves the home.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have been trying to downsized for over 3.5 years. The family home I took over from my parents (my inheritance) has been my residence for close to 20 years. First realtor (who I had been doing work business for prior 6+ years), took the listing after I took $10,000 OFF her suggested listing price. Never advertised the place other than MLS, put a small metal "For Sale" in the yard and refused to release me after 3 months on NOT working to sell the place. Seems the realtors' in my area, use the marketing theory of "need to lower your price" as the ONLY sale's plan. I had NO SHOWINGS with her cell phone pictures. And I still comment on the 'lack of service'. I did complain to her MULTIPLE times but her boss is her brother and she is the office manager (a C-21 office in business for over 25 years).

Current realtor is another 'winner' ... better pictures (not taken with a cell phone) but he is a listing realtor. Waiting for another Realtor's office to sell it. Sent their photographer to take pictures and bring back the signed listing contract. Did put up a proper big sign. And I HAD to hire a lawyer to deal with my own realtor ... who expects me to FedEx documents back & forth to them. The buyers live less than a mile from me. Yes, I have a $1200 lawyer for settlement next week ... but after buying & selling 25+ properties over the last 30 years in the same area without a lawyer ... it is THAT bad with this realtor and the confusion he kept interjecting. He never called .. ONLY got update emails for showings scheduled. I do NOT have access to a computer during the day and more than 60% of the showings were "No Shows" (the age of computers, I do believe). And I had to 'do the CO' ... with no suggestions from him or his 'staff'. Most real estate listing agents in this area literary 'handhold' the sellers thru the Continued Certificate of Occupancy with the local town or city inspectors ... my realtor just wants to control closing at his office 80+ miles away ... to get his check!

I should have TRUSTED my first vibe with this realtor ... you should NOT be allowed to send a non-licensed person to collect a signature for a real estate contract. And sent the paperwork and photographer back to their (faraway) office. Not notarized!

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You will be in for a shock when you start looking at cheapy condos. When we were moving out of California and out of our large home, my son had to look for a small place for himself. I tried to steer him towards a small newish house but he was set on buying a cheap condo. He finally picked one, [edited for brevity]
When we bought our little 1 BR condo in 'the city', it was after the 2009 recession. It was a short sale, and took some time to convince the bank that it couldn't get more for it than we were offering. My DW had fairly recently inherited some money from her dad's passing and there weren't a lot of options for investing the inheritance

Fast forward to now. Our very nice +-2500 sq ft 4 BR 3BA home w/2 car garage (judging by our own comps) might bring just a bit over $120/sq ft. The 1100 sq ft urban condo with 1 BR 1 BA, $250/mo. association fee, 1 secure parking space in the building's garage, would bring $350 sq/ft. The little condo would sell for nearly $100,000 more than the big house & have ongoing fees. I was flabbergasted to see that.

If either of us (what am I saying 'IF', OK, WHEN one of us) is left alone BOTH of these places will be sold and the remaining spouse will be going to 'The Home'. A CCRC is the best I can hope for in my dotage.

Jim

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I have been trying to downsized for over 3.5 years. The family home I took over from my parents (my inheritance) has been my residence for close to 20 years. First realtor (who I had been doing work business for prior 6+ years), took the listing after I took $10,000 OFF her suggested listing price. Never advertised the place other than MLS, put a small metal "For Sale" in the yard and refused to release me after 3 months on NOT working to sell the place. Seems the realtors' in my area, use the marketing theory of "need to lower your price" as the ONLY sale's plan. I had NO SHOWINGS with her cell phone pictures. And I still comment on the 'lack of service'. I did complain to her MULTIPLE times but her boss is her brother and she is the office manager (a C-21 office in business for over 25 years).

Current realtor is another 'winner' ... better pictures (not taken with a cell phone) but he is a listing realtor. Waiting for another Realtor's office to sell it. Sent their photographer to take pictures and bring back the signed listing contract. Did put up a proper big sign. And I HAD to hire a lawyer to deal with my own realtor ... who expects me to FedEx documents back & forth to them. The buyers live less than a mile from me. Yes, I have a $1200 lawyer for settlement next week ... but after buying & selling 25+ properties over the last 30 years in the same area without a lawyer ... it is THAT bad with this realtor and the confusion he kept interjecting. He never called .. ONLY got update emails for showings scheduled. I do NOT have access to a computer during the day and more than 60% of the showings were "No Shows" (the age of computers, I do believe). And I had to 'do the CO' ... with no suggestions from him or his 'staff'. Most real estate listing agents in this area literary 'handhold' the sellers thru the Continued Certificate of Occupancy with the local town or city inspectors ... my realtor just wants to control closing at his office 80+ miles away ... to get his check!

I should have TRUSTED my first vibe with this realtor ... you should NOT be allowed to send a non-licensed person to collect a signature for a real estate contract. And sent the paperwork and photographer back to their (faraway) office. Not notarized!

I really can't stand realtors.

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Our realtor in Santa Fe has become one of our best friends. We have dinner with her and her husband once a month and they come to the parties we have. Whenever I need a recommendation (doctor, hairdresser, house stuff...whatever) I go to her first.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Our realtor in Santa Fe has become one of our best friends. We have dinner with her and her husband once a month and they come to the parties we have. Whenever I need a recommendation (doctor, hairdresser, house stuff...whatever) I go to her first.

Of course, exceptions. I had a friend once who was a realtor and would not have hesitated to use her.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Of course, exceptions. I had a friend once who was a realtor and would not have hesitated to use her.
We also had a very good relationship with our realtor in California. She both acted as buyer, and seller agent, for us at different times. We didn't use her for our last move as we weren't still sure she was working (she was quite a bit older than dh and I) and she really didn't specialize in our area, where we were selling.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
We had a realtor come over yesterday but he says he needs time to do the comps and so on and will be in touch on Thursday. Why so long with this info. I have no idea.

One of the reasons I selected the Realtor I did to sell my Son's house was because he put together a roughly 20 page book with information on my Son's house. It included what similar houses in the area had sold for, tax appraisals for all the surrounding houses and what was currently on the market in the area. You would be surprised how much information they can put together. Maybe that is why the guy you are talking to needs time...

George

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is a world of difference between someone with a license to sell real estate (think timeshare sales weasel) and a Realtor. A Realtor is a professional who strives to legally and ethically align the needs of the buyer with the wants of the seller. A Realtor is like any other well educated professional. People who choose a do-it-yourself sign to sell their real estate are like those who get a DIY tax prep software or DIY will or bankruptcy package at Legal Zoom. They might think they got all they are due, but will never know. I can hardly wait for the DIY root canal or appendectomy.

Jim

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Getting older is very hard. The thought of seeing our son less than we even do now makes me very sad. Having no friends or family nearby right now, I can tell you it ain't good. Sure- you can make some acquaintances by joining something or maybe living in a senior community, but it is never the same as family and very close friends you grew up with. I am sure there are exceptions. Let's face it- the other seniors are "old" also and have their own issues. Some might have family and are involved with them most of the time. You can have fun with these people - maybe play golf with them or bridge or whatever, and have someone to talk to at the pool- I will grant you that. Better than nothing. Take what you can get. And that goes for tax breaks and lower cost of living also.

But-when it comes down to it- maybe you lose a spouse- who is going to care about you? No one. Just you- and maybe your dog if you have one.

I know I am being cynical. But I am feeling like this lately as we try to decide what we will do in the future. It takes a lot of bravery I can tell you that.

I think you might find that neighbors, friends, and/or church family will come to your aid often before family. Especially when they are experiencing, or have experienced, aging and needs associated with it and if you too are there for them. If you involve yourself in activities that lead to enrichment of mind and body you will meet like-minded people who share your interests; you will make friendships and enjoy life to the point that loss of family involvement doesn't sting quite as much. As sad as I sometimes get over our daughter and granddaughter's lack of desire to spend time with us or help us out with my mother, I have come to realize that we can only control ourselves and life is what we make it.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
I hadn't used a Realtor in some 30-35 years until I sold my Son's house. I didn't know what to expect but was more than pleasantly surprised by the process in place today. First my guy guided me through the things that needed to be done to groom the house for sale. Then when little things needed to be addressed as a result of the Buyer's inspection he had a little black book with guys to do the work like immediately and at a very reasonable cost. The next thing that surprised me was the quality of the photo shoot the Realtor posted on various Internet web sites. And finally I received an email every time they showed the house with potential Buyer feedback. Yes, the fee was 6% but 3% went to the Buyer's Agent who as I mentioned in a prior post was the one who held the ultimate sale together. I never thought I would say this but all in all it was worth the money...

George

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).

I am a former realtor. I'm sorry you had such bad experiences. I'm not in your shoes and wasn't there but I, would have talked to that "boss" regardless of relationship to the realtor, and insisted that I be released from my agreement as they failed to uphold their end. I would also have reported them to the Board of Realtors in your state and as you did, leave bad reviews on every site I could find. There is no excuse for the current realtor to be so absent from the process. And again, I would make a fuss and speak to his broker-in-charge.

On the other hand, I understand why realtors insist on a longer contract. When the realtor has done a market analysis for an area and knows the house is overpriced, or that there are other negative considerations that the seller refuses to do anything about, a seasoned realtor ought to walk away. If the realtor does take the listing for a short contract term, at the price the seller insists on, and the house fails to sell within that short time period, the owner often blames the realtor and lists with another realtor who does get them to reduce the price or make changes within the home and lo and behold it sells quickly, as it might have had the seller listened to the first realtor. The first company's time and marketing dollars were wasted (if they did as they should to try to market the house). It's frustrating to a realtor when people hire you for your knowledge and experience but ignore your suggestions only to have them do as you had suggested a few months down the road and another profits. Happens all the time though.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I am a former realtor. I'm sorry you had such bad experiences. I'm not in your shoes and wasn't there but I, would have talked to that "boss" regardless of relationship to the realtor, and insisted that I be released from my agreement as they failed to uphold their end. I would also have reported them to the Board of Realtors in your state and as you did, leave bad reviews on every site I could find. There is no excuse for the current realtor to be so absent from the process. And again, I would make a fuss and speak to his broker-in-charge.

On the other hand, I understand why realtors insist on a longer contract. When the realtor has done a market analysis for an area and knows the house is overpriced, or that there are other negative considerations that the seller refuses to do anything about, a seasoned realtor ought to walk away. If the realtor does take the listing for a short contract term, at the price the seller insists on, and the house fails to sell within that short time period, the owner often blames the realtor and lists with another realtor who does get them to reduce the price or make changes within the home and lo and behold it sells quickly, as it might have had the seller listened to the first realtor. The first company's time and marketing dollars were wasted (if they did as they should to try to market the house). It's frustrating to a realtor when people hire you for your knowledge and experience but ignore your suggestions only to have them do as you had suggested a few months down the road and another profits. Happens all the time though.
Hope springs eternal. And anything can and will be sold if the price is right. Every time I hear someone say "my house won't sell. My realtor is awful", my mind says, your price is too high for your home.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I hadn't used a Realtor in some 30-35 years until I sold my Son's house. I didn't know what to expect but was more than pleasantly surprised by the process in place today. First my guy guided me through the things that needed to be done to groom the house for sale. Then when little things needed to be addressed as a result of the Buyer's inspection he had a little black book with guys to do the work like immediately and at a very reasonable cost. The next thing that surprised me was the quality of the photo shoot the Realtor posted on various Internet web sites. And finally I received an email every time they showed the house with potential Buyer feedback. Yes, the fee was 6% but 3% went to the Buyer's Agent who as I mentioned in a prior post was the one who held the ultimate sale together. I never thought I would say this but all in all it was worth the money...

George
Well said. Every realtor I had used was very helpful and essential in getting my house ready for sale and got it sold. I have sold 2 homes in California and used a different agent for each home because their knowledge of the local area. They both had their go-to handyman, window washing company, housecleaner etc and all at prices that I could not find if I were to look for the same services. They both hired professional photographers for photoshoot and video. In each case I paid 5% of the sale price. For the first home, the agent informed other agents of the upcoming listing of my home and on the first day of listing, another agent got a buyer to pay at listing price. Without my realtor making the connection before hand, it would not have happened. All the way to closing, there was not another interested buyer so I was fortunate. For my second home, it was a very expensive and gorgeous home, including a $200K indoor pool that we had built. It was beautifully decorated with paintings and furnished. The interior decorator and upgrades were another $200K and much of which we did not want to take with us as we had already furnished our retirement home. We knew we were going to lose money on the house but we had to sell it. We were out $200K from when we bought the place and with adding of the indoor pool. We had 5 offers and we picked the all cash buyer and closed within a week. That house would have been easily sold by any realtor but since we were out of state by then, he took care of alot of stuff that we would have needed to do so before closing.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
Yes, please go to New Mexico. Some who have already gone to Florida, too.

:cool:

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
With all the references to realtors in this thread, it makes me want to go watch American Beauty again......

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
We also had a very good relationship with our realtor in California. She both acted as buyer, and seller agent, for us at different times. We didn't use her for our last move as we weren't still sure she was working (she was quite a bit older than dh and I) and she really didn't specialize in our area, where we were selling.

When we bought this house we used a realtor as a buyer and seller. Worse thing we ever did because of the conflict of interest. Our attorney told us never to do this again. We were young and naive. We ended up getting rid of her as a seller after the contract expired as she did nothing. We actually WANTED to lower the price. SHE was the one that priced it too high. We went along with everything she suggested. We then hired another realtor from another company to sell our home and it sold quickly after finally lowering the price.

Last edited: