• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Retirees Are Flocking to These 3 States - and Fleeing These 3 States in Droves

Conan

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'll redo it by hand:
Federal AGI 147,000
Federal TI 147,000 - 27,000 = 120,000 . [I used 28,000 above which was off by 1,000]
Federal tax 9,086 + (120,000 - 78,950)*.22 = 18,117
18,117/147,000 = 12.3%

California (2018 rates)
Federal AGI 147,000
CA standard deduction 8,472
CA tax after standard deduction and 2 exemptions 7,123
https://www.ftb.ca.gov/forms/2018/18_540_2ez_taxtable_married.pdf
Senior exemptions 236
Tax $6,887
6,887/147,000 = 4.68%

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I filled in this calculator, married filing jointly, with zero W-2, zero self-employment, zero social security, and $28,000 itemized deductions (that's the standard deduction for a married elder couple).
https://www.irscalculators.com/tax-calculator
To get a 5% overall California tax rate, I had to use unearned income of $147,000.
Federal income tax came to $17,897 = 12.17%
California income tax came to $7,359 = 5.01%
Any less than $147,000 and California income tax falls below 5%.

If I also add in say $53,000 of social security for a round number of $200,000 total income the federal income tax goes up by $10,000 while the California income tax stays the same (because California doesn't tax social security). The larger denominator causes the calculator to characterize the same $7,359 tax as = 3.68% overall rate.

Wow, this is very interesting. I keep telling my husband if we reduce our income, we will have more take home pay. I feel like we work to pay taxes now.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Well- here's another link that was just posted today by a member of one of my Facebook Groups.

https://wallethub.com/edu/state-taxpayer-roi-report/3283/

Tax Day can be a painful reminder of how much we have to invest in federal, state and local governments, though many of us are unaware of exactly what they give us in return. As a result, this creates a disconnect in the minds of taxpayers between the amount of money we should fork over every April and how much we deserve in return.

Perhaps that’s why, according to WalletHub’s Taxpayer Survey, 55% of U.S. adults feel they pay too much in taxes and why 90% don’t think that the government uses tax revenue wisely. We do know, however, that taxpayer return on investment, or ROI, varies based where one lives. Federal income-tax rates are uniform across the nation, yet some states receive far more federal funding than others. But federal taxes and support are only part of the story.

Different states have dramatically different tax burdens. This begs the question of whether people in high-tax states receive superior government services. Likewise, are low-tax states more efficient or do they receive low-quality services? In short, where do taxpayers get the most and least bang for their buck?

WalletHub aimed to answer that question by contrasting state and local tax collections with the quality of the services residents receive in each of the 50 states within five categories: Education, Health, Safety, Economy, and Infrastructure & Pollution. Our data set includes a total of 30 key metrics. Read on for our findings, methodology and commentary from a panel of experts.

1 Main Findings 2 Red States vs. Blue States 3 Detailed Breakdown by State
4 Ask the Experts: Taxes as an Investment 5 Methodology

Main Findings
Embed on your website

State and Local Taxes Paid vs. Spending Received by State

‘Taxpayer ROI’ Rank
(1=Best)

State

‘Total Taxes Paid per Capita’ Rank*

‘Overall Government Services’ Rank

1 New Hampshire 2 7
2 South Dakota 10 17
3 Florida 3 33
4 Virginia 17 8
5 Colorado 14 16
6 Missouri 6 37
7 Texas 5 38
8 Georgia 11 34
9 Nebraska 22 13
10 Wyoming 26 10
11 Utah 30 11
12 Wisconsin 36 5
13 Ohio 16 26
14 Alaska 1 49
15 Rhode Island 33 12
16 Indiana 23 20
17 Tennessee 8 40
18 Oklahoma 12 39
19 Iowa 37 9
20 Montana 15 32
21 South Carolina 4 45
22 Maine 35 15
23 Arizona 7 44
24 Idaho 25 23
25 Kentucky 21 30
26 North Carolina 19 35
27 Michigan 27 27
28 Kansas 28 28
29 Illinois 32 25
30 Pennsylvania 29 29
31 Alabama 9 47
32 Washington 39 19
33 New Jersey 40 14
34 Oregon 31 36
35 Massachusetts 43 4
36 Minnesota 48 1
37 West Virginia 20 41
38 Maryland 41 21
39 Delaware 42 24
40 New York 44 18
41 Connecticut 46 6
42 Mississippi 18 46
43 Vermont 49 2
44 North Dakota 47 3
45 Nevada 34 43
46 Louisiana 13 50
47 Arkansas 38 42
48 California 45 31
49 New Mexico 24 48
50 Hawaii 50 22
*“Per Capita” includes the population aged 18 and older.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Deleted

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
We have been looking at Boulder City, Nevada. No income tax and low property taxes. Also a lot closer to Grand kids. One day travel vice two. Then my son goes and tells us they might be moving to Charlotte NC. No tax advantages for retirees in NC. But there is in SC. So we are researching homes from Greenville to Spartanburg. We would only be a couple hours from the Grandkids. We could get a house like ours with more property for less than half the money. So we will wait and see what happens to the kids. My son says if they move it will most likely be their last move until the Grandkids are out of High School. It would be their 4th move in 5 years of marriage.

Greenville is my second favorite city in SC, but you would be even closer in the Rock Hill area. Lived there long ago and loved the proximity to Charlotte.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
If I am correct, Charleston, SC, property tax is 4% of assessed value for a primary home, 6% for second homes. We pay around $6,500 property tax on our approximately 3,000 sq.ft. primary home. Almost $10,000 on our 1170 sq ft. second home which we have owned a long time and is not assessed anywhere near what it would be valued. Charleston sales tax is 9%. 13% hospitality tax. State income tax 3-7%. Sales tax on purchase of a vehicle is capped at $300. SC has one of the lowest gas taxes, and thus gas prices, in the US. Unfortunately that results in poor road and bridge maintenance. We do have tons of culture, history, and amenities here. But with it comes tourism, traffic and over-building. And the heat in the summer...:eek:

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We don't have grandchildren. Maybe if we did I'd feel differently. But, question for you, if those families moved farther away would you move to be closer?

Since the 1980's we knew that we would retire here. As it turned out our only child, daughter, stayed in SC to go to college after we relocated elsewhere for hubby's work. She returned to CHS after she graduated, married a local boy and they have our only grandchild. That's when we bought a second house here. Hubby traveled for work extensively so I spent 50% of my time here and had lots of time with our granddaughter, a check in the bank, and a date and a handyman on the weekends/vacations. What could be better? :D Alas, we saw more of our daughter and granddaughter at that time than we have since we retired and brought my mother here to live with us. Our granddaughter started to move on from "Mimi & Granddaddy time" at around 12 years old. She's too busy and wrapped up in her friends, boyfriend, iPhone, sports and school work to spend time with us. Our daughter works, cares for their home, runs around with/for our granddaughter and we rarely see her. Hoping they will come back to us someday but I'm glad that we didn't choose to retire here because they live here.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I do not understand why people chase their grandchildren. My stepmother is finding out the hard way that grandkids do not bond as much to grandparents as grandparents bond to grandkids. It is sad to see since she has always been so close to her kids and I had always assumed she was super close to the grandkids. But now that they are becoming teenagers, the grandkids are busy with their own lives.

Luvtoride

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Cypress Harbor
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Desert Springs Villas II
Marriott Grande Ocean
Since the 1980's we knew that we would retire here. As it turned out our only child, daughter, stayed in SC to go to college after we relocated elsewhere for hubby's work. She returned to CHS after she graduated, married a local boy and they have our only grandchild. That's when we bought a second house here. Hubby traveled for work extensively so I spent 50% of my time here and had lots of time with our granddaughter, a check in the bank, and a date and a handyman on the weekends/vacations. What could be better? :D Alas, we saw more of our daughter and granddaughter at that time than we have since we retired and brought my mother here to live with us. Our granddaughter started to move on from "Mimi & Granddaddy time" at around 12 years old. She's too busy and wrapped up in her friends, boyfriend, iPhone, sports and school work to spend time with us. Our daughter works, cares for their home, runs around with/for our granddaughter and we rarely see her. Hoping they will come back to us someday but I'm glad that we didn't choose to retire here because they live here.

And this is the “heart” of this issue as far as I’m concerned. Does one choose a retirement home based on love or money or some combination of the two?

We just had our 3rd Grandchild this winter. We are fortunate that he and our 2 granddaughters live relatively close by in the NY/ NJ area. The other grandma (to our new grandson) just had her son/ DIL and granddaughter (under a year old) pick up and move to Florida due to a career opportunity for her son (the announcement and the moved all happened within 3 weeks). She is upset and resigning herself to the fact that she won’t get the chance to watch her GD grow up as she will her grandson. Moving to Florida would be a more cost effective way to retire (she is still working) but I doubt she will make that choice.

True, we never know where our kids and grandkids lives could end up taking them but chasing them around the country doesn’t sound like the best decision maker (as doesn’t plugging numbers into a program to determine lowest tax rates/ costs of living).

We are fortunate now to have our family close by and to be able to “afford” the NY/NJ area to live (we’re not retired yet either). We may not always be able to “have our cake and eat it too”. Tough choices!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Patti and and are pretty resigned to the kids and Gkids moving to NC and only seeing them once per year or every other year. Though we are still looking at houses in SC with REDFIN.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Getting older is very hard. The thought of seeing our son less than we even do now makes me very sad. Having no friends or family nearby right now, I can tell you it ain't good. Sure- you can make some acquaintances by joining something or maybe living in a senior community, but it is never the same as family and very close friends you grew up with. I am sure there are exceptions. Let's face it- the other seniors are "old" also and have their own issues. Some might have family and are involved with them most of the time. You can have fun with these people - maybe play golf with them or bridge or whatever, and have someone to talk to at the pool- I will grant you that. Better than nothing. Take what you can get. And that goes for tax breaks and lower cost of living also.

But-when it comes down to it- maybe you lose a spouse- who is going to care about you? No one. Just you- and maybe your dog if you have one.

I know I am being cynical. But I am feeling like this lately as we try to decide what we will do in the future. It takes a lot of bravery I can tell you that.

Last edited:

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Getting older is very hard. The thought of seeing our son less than we even do now makes me very sad. Having no friends or family nearby right now, I can tell you it ain't good. Sure- you can make some acquaintances by joining something or maybe living in a senior community, but it is never the same as family and very close friends you grew up with. I am sure there are exceptions. Let's face it- the other seniors are "old" also and have their own issues. Some might have family and are involved with them most of the time. You can have fun with these people - maybe play golf with them or bridge or whatever, and have someone to talk to at the pool- I will grant you that. Better than nothing. Take what you can get. And that goes for tax breaks and lower cost of living also.

But-when it comes down to it- maybe you lose a spouse- who is going to care about you? No one. Just you- and maybe your dog if you have one.

I know I am being cynical. But I am feeling like this lately as we try to decide what we will do in the future. It takes a lot of bravery I can tell you that.
Very sad commentary you still are young, you have a lot of time left

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

Oh, I know. I have worked around the elderly and sick for way too long in healthcare and in dealing with my own family, I guess. I am a realist and I am alone a lot and have a lot of time to think. But that is not to say I do not have energy and hopes and dreams. I am very future oriented. Just keeping my eyes wide open.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

Agreed. My plan is to do what works for us, not so we can try to be involved in the lives of those we care about. My family and friends are scattered about. We stay in touch by phone and online, getting together as we can. Lifelong friends are fewer than they were, and the list grows smaller quite often. Rather than chasing what used to be, we prefer to live in the "now," and doing what we enjoy. The rest will take care of itself. New friends are out there, waiting to be met. :)

Dave

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.

I see this as factual (not cynical) for many reasons, but let me offer this thought - as we (in general, as a society) have move further away from the traditional nuclear and extended family structures that used to be so common, we've become increasingly geographically spread out and (as a result) more disconnected as families. I know that all of us around here are aware of this fact (some of us more acutely than others). That fact alone has many negative consequences but one very obvious reality is our family time opportunities diminish as we age. I've said this before in other threads but one of the more uncertain times in my life has been the period of time after all the kids have moved out - what to do with the time that is no longer consumed by your kids.

Mary Ann, your point is another excellent observation about that period of time after the kids are no longer around on a regular basis. Interacting with other people (even those near your own age) might be fine for a small bit of satisfaction, but it just doesn't replace family interaction or the friends one made when they were younger. There really are fewer stands of commonality available to us anymore - and those strands are necessary to form meaningful friendships IMO. One can't just plop one's self into a new situation and expect to make friends out of strangers and expect a meaningful relationship to bloom. It just doesn't happen that way. Perhaps what I am laboring to say here is the increased mobility of our society these days is (severely) weakening our family bonds.

I don't mean to be Doug today, but I too am feeling as you described.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

We moved away from my only child for retirement and the flight to see him is a little over an hour. It has been a good thing because he lived with us and living alone now makes him understand things like utility bills, HOA fees and property taxes.

He wants me to move in with him if my husband passes away before me. I would much prefer that he moves in with me but since we are talking about a couple of decades out I am not concerned. I see him a couple of times a year, down from 4 to 5 times in the first year of our move, and it is working out well. If I were to move back to California, I will likely buy another home close to his home instead of living with him. But I am not going to worry about it.

Since our move we have become good friends with 2 couples and they join us about half the time or more on our timeshare vacations.

It will all work out in the end. So don't worry about the future. All the best!

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Following on to my earlier comment, (which may have seemed rather insensitive, unintentionally), I should probably explain that my entire life has been lived out of a suitcase, more or less. There has never been long-term stability provided by location or close family ties. Stability in my world is self-made, and always has been. I never doubted the abiding love and support of my family, but I was terribly independent at an early age, and things haven't changed.

I am the product of a tumultuous childhood as a military brat, complicated by multiple parental divorces, and frequent moves as my (mostly) single Mom tried to improve the quality of her family's lives. I lived in no less than 27 different houses before I was 18. I attended 13 schools in 12 years in five states, and, (to the surprise of everyone but me), I graduated high school with remarkably good grades. Throwing myself into my schoolwork WAS the stability I needed in my life.

Then I joined the military myself, and I spent the next 20 years of my life unintentionally recreating my childhood - frequent moves, (sometimes from one coast to the other), my own divorce, and being the custodial single parent to my own kids. I did my best, but trying to juggle my Navy career with single parenthood was no easy task, and my two kids often found themselves living with my Mom and Step Dad (her husband #6), while I was overseas for months at a time. Nobody every complained, because it was our "normal." Life was never stable, for any of us. I encouraged my kids to become self-sufficient and independent at their own pace, and they've both done well with that.

Now retired from the military for more than 25 years, and as "stable" as I've ever been, (living in the same community for 19 years now, despite moving three times), I find my life is no more emotionally settled now than it was when I was a kid. Family is spread out, and even those who live nearby don't visit often. We're in touch regularly via online options, but face to face visits are rare - in either direction. We all understand that, and nobody thinks it's unusual. It's our lives, as they've worked out. No shortage of love and affection, but not a lot of direct interaction. Everyone is fiercely independent, "doing our own thing," and the bonds we have are based on respect for that degree of independence. As I look at retiring later this year, I don't see any burning reason to stay where we are. We can live anywhere, because it's not about family in person, it's about the level of connection we have already established between us.

I accept that I have a deeply-rooted wanderlust, borne of my life spent on-the-go, and my retirement is an excuse to exercise that urge. My kids and grandkids will be fine, and I know we all care about each other. But for all the years spent trying to make the lives of others work, finally, it's time for me to enjoy it my own way. I'm itching to get on with it.

And that's a very exciting thing for me. I can't wait to see what's around the next corner. :)

Dave

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Following on to my earlier comment, (which may have seemed rather insensitive, unintentionally), I should probably explain that my entire life has been lived out of a suitcase, more or less. There has never been long-term stability provided by location or close family ties. Stability in my world is self-made, and always has been. I never doubted the abiding love and support of my family, but I was terribly independent at an early age, and things haven't changed.

I am the product of a tumultuous childhood as a military brat, complicated by multiple parental divorces, and frequent moves as my (mostly) single Mom tried to improve the quality of her family's lives. I lived in no less than 27 different houses before I was 18. I attended 13 schools in 12 years in five states, and, (to the surprise of everyone but me), I graduated high school with remarkably good grades. Throwing myself into my schoolwork WAS the stability I needed in my life.

Then I joined the military myself, and I spent the next 20 years of my life unintentionally recreating my childhood - frequent moves, (sometimes from one coast to the other), my own divorce, and being the custodial single parent to my own kids. I did my best, but trying to juggle my Navy career with single parenthood was no easy task, and my two kids often found themselves living with my Mom and Step Dad (her husband #6), while I was overseas for months at a time. Nobody every complained, because it was our "normal." Life was never stable, for any of us. I encouraged my kids to become self-sufficient and independent at their own pace, and they've both done well with that.

Now retired from the military for more than 25 years, and as "stable" as I've ever been, (living in the same community for 19 years now, despite moving three times), I find my life is no more emotionally settled now than it was when I was a kid. Family is spread out, and even those who live nearby don't visit often. We're in touch regularly via online options, but face to face visits are rare - in either direction. We all understand that, and nobody thinks it's unusual. It's our lives, as they've worked out. No shortage of love and affection, but not a lot of direct interaction. Everyone is fiercely independent, "doing our own thing," and the bonds we have are based on respect for that degree of independence. As I look at retiring later this year, I don't see any burning reason to stay where we are. We can live anywhere, because it's not about family in person, it's about the level of connection we have already established between us.

I accept that I have a deeply-rooted wanderlust, borne of my life spent on-the-go, and my retirement is an excuse to exercise that urge. My kids and grandkids will be fine, and I know we all care about each other. But for all the years spent trying to make the lives of others work, finally, it's time for me to enjoy it my own way. I'm itching to get on with it.

And that's a very exciting thing for me. I can't wait to see what's around the next corner. :)

Dave

Very well said. I am a wanderlust as well. I have lived in 3 countries, one where I was born, raised and schooled, next 2 where my work relocated me. I would have moved to Europe if my work had posted me there as well. Nothing really holds me back other than now that I am older and retired, I am carrying too much possessions - household stuff, to keep moving. I do not want to move again as I love where we live where beauty and peace surround us. I am willing to make one more move if it comes to that I want to move closer to my son, or maybe not.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
Because of my husband’s health, this may be the last year we can go to Wisconsin for the summer. I will miss my grandsons terribly when we have to stop. Their father died last Memorial Day, and they are still dealing with it. I try to do as much as possible with them when I am there and go to Scouts, swimming classes, and sports lessons with them. Their mother works so much, and can’t get them to after school activities. If they moved out of Wisconsin, I wouldn’t go back there anymore.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I was a military he at until age 16. In my first 6 years I lived 7 places. Then luckily spent 4 years in Oahu and 6 years in Los Angeles - Canoga Park and San Pedro. Dad retired and we moved to Independence, Oregon population 1,800 and we did not live in town but on a 20 acre mini farm. My Dad's dream. Simply put I did not have much in common with my high school classmates for my junior and senior year. I could not wait to get out of there. Now after having lived and traveled all around the countey and world I live in Salem only a few miles from Independence. A characteristic I still carry from my early life is that if I or you move away we have very little contact but when we do meet I am ready to pickup from where we left off.

Sugarcubesea

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
QH, HBC, VBHC, & Pinestead Reef

I agree, "Getting Older is very Hard" I want and need to move somewhere warm. The winters in my state last so long and as I get older, I would not be able to walk outside in the winter without the risk of falling and hurting myself.

My oldest son and his wife have one baby and we live in the same state but only see them on special holidays and events. I remember how busy I was when I was starting my career and I get it..So if I move to a warm state, I would still see them about the same amount of time..

My 2 younger children are just starting their careers and even thou they both live at home still, I rarely see them with their busy lives and work. I now travel a ton for work (got a promotion I really didn't want but hey it gets me to my retirement goals at a quicker time frame) The company I work for trends on having the mature worker vs younger workers so all of us chat a bunch about retirement. Five of my colleagues have purchased 2nd homes / condos in FL and or AZ and they picked communities that have a very active social life... That is my goal because all of those folks are starting from ground zero so they all start to make new friends around them.

In the last 4 years I have lost 5 long term friends and that is very hard.

So I keep working and saving and hope I have enough by 65 or close to it to retire.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I was a military he at until age 16. In my first 6 years I lived 7 places. Then luckily spent 4 years in Oahu and 6 years in Los Angeles - Canoga Park and San Pedro. Dad retired and we moved to Independence, Oregon population 1,800 and we did not live in town but on a 20 acre mini farm. My Dad's dream. Simply put I did not have much in common with my high school classmates for my junior and senior year. I could not wait to get out of there. Now after having lived and traveled all around the countey and world I live in Salem only a few miles from Independence. A characteristic I still carry from my early life is that if I or you move away we have very little contact but when we do meet I am ready to pickup from where we left off.

Exactly. :) My best friend from high school and I are still great friends. We live on opposite coasts, although we're regularly in touch online. I see him from time to time, and it's just like that - the conversations pick up as if we were never apart. I'll be seeing him and his wife again next month, when they join us on the cruise we're taking to the Yucatan.

Dave

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Wow, Dave. Thanks for your perspective. I totally get what you stated.

I happen to be a homebody and kind of an introvert- or at least prefer introversion. You would not know it if you met me as I am very social- maybe a borderline extrovert.

Anyway- I know people poo poo astrology but I am into it. I am a Cancer and you can't get anymore homebody that that! In fact, I am a double Cancer and my husband, although an Aries, has a Cancer ascendant.

I had a stressful, tense childhood because of my dad's alcoholism. We were always on edge in the home. A lot of yelling and screaming and punching walls. In fact, my parents almost lost the house because of my dad's business failures. Had to use our money (the kid's) to help salvage everything.

My parents moved up to the country with us from our Bronx apartment (I was 3) and the house was their American dream. They never moved away from that house. They loved it. There for over 55 years. Even my grandparents moved up from the Bronx when they retired and bought a house on a road behind my parents. I spent my childhood playing in the apple orchard and farms and woods behind our home and visiting my grandparents by walking through these areas and across a florist greenhouse farm. In those days, no one worried about kids walking by themselves through these areas. Even as a child, I loved the country. The sheep and cows were my friends.

I got married at 21 years old- not surprising- and immediately we bought a home in the country (that handyman special I always talk about) and dogs for me to nurture (my parents could never handle owning dogs and one of our dogs ran away and the other they put down- long story). I always loved dogs.

I craved peace in the home and I finally got it. We worked on that home all the time, with some vacations in between and as you know, after 10 years and me pregnant, we moved to this home and have been in it 31 years.

I wanted to move 10-15 years ago to Vermont but hubby did not want to. He did not want to give up the house we worked so hard on or have to look for another job in a state with hardly any employment opportunities at his age. Didn't blame him. I love Vermont and after vacationing there so much I felt like it was more like "home" then NY was. Of course, in NY we were always working. In Vermont we were on vacation! And made great memories with our son.

I might add I only have one brother. He lives on Long Island and also is a snowbird (Fla.). No sister to talk to. My husband's both sisters are deceased- died at young ages. He has no brother. And we have our one and only child, Alex.

Our friends and family all live like 2 hours from here- some 3. Down in Long Island and the NYC Burroughs. One in Connecticut and another also in Connect. on the Massachusetts border. One in PA. Have their kids and grandchildren. In the community here I only know a few people - but not for social. They also have kids and grandchildren keeping them very busy. One I know will be moving south soon. I will attend an occasional town meeting and see a couple of them.

I am also the one who likes to travel, but I am a cautious traveler. But I do not like flying as I have said numerous times, but will do it if I really want to go somewhere. I like to hunker in when I go somewhere, though I have an itinerary for every day, even if one day is relaxing by the pool. I have changed my pace on vacations now. Whereas I used to have to see everything every single hour that we were away, cramming in as much as possible, I have slowed down now a bit (though some (like hubby) would beg to differ). Husband does not plan travel and can take it or leave it, though he enjoys it once we are at our destination.Timeshares have helped in this regard. I guess this is why I like timeshares so much. Feels like a second "home".

I might add, however, that even when we go on vacation, I do not leave our home easily. OCD and worry kick in and I stress a bit and have to check and double check everything before we leave. But once we are on our way, I am elated! I guess I need to feel secure. That's my buzzword- Security.

But back to our house, we are real house/home people, though I do feel I can make a home anywhere. But being here so long we have a lot invested in this place financially and emotionally. Top it off with my OCD/clean freak/neat nut/controlling personality, it won't be that easy to leave. And hubby is not into planning and finances and logistics and reality (sometimes) so I am practically on my own with a most of it.

But we are determined to do it and we really have to. And we will probably have to move twice as we will have to rent something first and we have never been renters.

So you can get the picture of where I am coming from....

Last edited: