• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Honolulu Grand Islander 0r Hokulani?

topdog

TUG Member
Reaction score
-If we need 3 days in Honolulu, no car, which would you prefer as a just nice place to stay? There's no need for beach or pools, just a few days in the big city.

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
-If we need 3 days in Honolulu, no car, which would you prefer as a just nice place to stay? There's no need for beach or pools, just a few days in the big city.

Sorry, I don’t know enough about the Oahu resorts to recommend one, but this would be the perfect example of the upcoming bHC property.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
Hokulani would fit your needs better. It is in the close walking distance to shopping, dining and beaches. Grand islander is about a 10 minute walk to hokulani.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
38C67BA1-3E3A-4127-8F01-8812A8B88F2D.png

They are both good locations, but which is better depends on what you like to do. The Grand Islander is in a resort and more relaxing. It is also close to the Ala Moana mall that is great for shopping and dining. The Hokulani is closer to the center of Waikiki where there is plenty of shopping and different places to eat. But it is a lot more busy and as soon as you step out your door, you are in the middle of lots of people and activity.

frank808

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Disney Vacation Club (Aulani,SSR,VGC,VGF) Hilton Grand Vacation Club(Bay Club, Kohala Suites, The District) Marriott Vacation Club (Aruba Surf Club, Grand Residence, Grand Chateau, Grand Vista,Harbour Lake, KoOlina,Willow Ridge & DC points)
View attachment 11327
They are both good locations, but which is better depends on what you like to do. The Grand Islander is in a resort and more relaxing. It is also close to the Ala Moana mall that is great for shopping and dining. The Hokulani is closer to the center of Waikiki where there is plenty of shopping and different places to eat. But it is a lot more busy and as soon as you step out your door, you are in the middle of lots of people and activity.
I like the roortop pool and hot tub at Hokulani very relaxing and tranquil compared to the pools at HHV. Also it is relaxing sitting in the hot tub at night looking down Kalakaua Ave.

But the Grand Islander is our favorite resort on Oahu. It edges out Hokulani by just a smidgen. Not much privacy in the 1br at Hokulani and the 1br units are smaller than Grand Islander.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

topdog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that info. Makes a big difference. I think I'd prefer Grand Islander.

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score

Based on your specifications Hokulani would better fit your needs. I only say this because you don’t need a beach or pool and would like to be smack dab in the middle of the action.

The free Cabanas at the Hokulani rooftop made me feel rich and famous.

But truthfully, either will work just fine for you.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
It really depends on what you’re looking for...
The Grand Islander is one of several towers inside a mega beachfront destination resort.
Hokulani is a boutique hotel located just off the main shopping/dining strip of Waikiki.

Videos of both rooms/locations

Grand Islander at the Hilton Hawaiian Village
Hilton Hawaiian Village - https://www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.com/

TripAdvisor reviews and photos
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...d_Vacations-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html#REVIEWS

Hokulani

TripAdvisor reviews and photos

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_R...d_Vacations-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html#REVIEWS

From https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...premiere-good-deal.252385/page-2#post-1981410 (more videos available via this link)

Entrance and Lobby:

Elevator and Rooftop Sky Lounge:

Last edited:

tompalm

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yup, I like Vegas, Manhattan, Tokyo and other big cities where there is lots to do and lots of activity. I can’t go to the beach during the day because it would be too much sun. If I was going to pick which resort, I would go to Hokulani. But, that is just what I like.