• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are some things you say that make you feel old?

linsj

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC
When I learned to drive, gas was 25 cents/gallon. A service man pumped it, checked the air in the tires and fluids under the hood, and washed the windows. The receipt was accompanied with trading stamps and often a drinking glass.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Maybe it wasn't slipstick that did me in; maybe it was mechanical drawing. I sure made a mess of the ones I did.
For me, the light bulb clicked on when they taught us how to do multiple projections to generate a true auxiliary view.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
When I learned to drive, gas was 25 cents/gallon. A service man pumped it, checked the air in the tires and fluids under the hood, and washed the windows. The receipt was accompanied with trading stamps and often a drinking glass.
A true Chicagoite: Sperry & Hutchinson (S&H Green Stamps)

We used to drive by the headquarters on the tristate tollway.

There was also the revolving sign for Baby Ruth/Butterfinger at the Curtis candy company by the airport.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
I occasionally use an American Express Hilton card that places us on their email list. A couple of days ago I received an email for pre-sale ZZ Top tickets. Anyway, I bought some good tickets and told my son and daughter in law. They asked me what a ZZ Top is.

My grand daughter and her husband came over and asked if anything interesting was happening. I told them I bought ZZ Top tickets. My grand daughters husband asked when and where and my grand daughter said they get the seats next to ours.

Today at Lowes, a Lowes guy put 300 pounds of floor leveler onto a cart for me and then loaded it into the back of my truck. This kind of makes me feel old.

Bill

Reactions: DrQ

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I remember S&H Green Stamps. We were so happy when we filled enuff books to redeem 'em for something. It was like Christmas.

I also remember on my bike route to & from middle school, there was a coke machine where I could score a 10oz. bottle for 10 cents, and then return the bottle for 5 cents back.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I occasionally use an American Express Hilton card that places us on their email list. A couple of days ago I received an email for pre-sale ZZ Top tickets. Anyway, I bought some good tickets and told my son and daughter in law. They asked me what a ZZ Top is. ...
Bill
:eek:

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I remember S&H Green Stamps. We were so happy when we filled enuff books to redeem 'em for something. It was like Christmas.

I also remember on my bike route to & from middle school, there was a coke machine where I could score a 10oz. bottle for 10 cents, and then return the bottle for 5 cents back.

When I was about five years old, [late 1950s], I remember my Mom licking and sticking S&H Green Stamps into booklets. She had a pile of them, and had been saving for months. When she finally redeemed something like 100 booklets of stamps for her pursued gift item, (a big hammered aluminum kitchen soup pot with lid), she was thrilled. It was solid as can be, and was "built to last." She used that pot for the rest of her life, nearly 40 years, until she passed in 1996. My sister now has that pot, and it looks as good today as when it was new. S&H had some great stuff.

Dave

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Programmers and system analysts are now referred to as coders and developers.

e.g. you don't write programs anymore - you code. Coders are cool.

Last edited:

Free2Roam

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham, Quarter House, a handful of East Coast beach resorts
Programmers and system analysts are now referred to as coders and developers.

e.g. you don't write programs anymore - you code. Programmers are geeks. Coders are cool.

In my world, geeks are cool!!

Proud programmer / systems analyst / software engineer / software developer / technical architect / coder / geek (not a nerd)

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
@Free2Roam my bad. I agree geeks are now cool too. (It's a good thing that kids now aspire to be geeks. That wasn't the case when I attended high school). Will edit prior post.

Last edited:

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Last edited:

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that I have had the pleasure of reading some many outstanding posts from this subject. I feel a little older. But I also, feel very blessed to be still able to remember so many wonderful things from the 50’ and 60’s.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's very exciting news in my town that a Piggly Wiggly is scheduled to go into a shopping center in a low-income food desert neighborhood; it's one that I actually drive by to/from work most days, so I'm pretty excited, too. You gotta Dig the Pig! :)

My daughter is 12 and has been taught cursive.

My first clock radio (who has one of those still?) was purchased with S&H Green Stamps; my mother often got stuff there, as well as Service Merchandise (remember them?)

We have old stadium cushions that we got free many, many moons ago from our minor league baseball team that we still use. Two of them have ads for a beeper company on them. My daughter a few years ago: "What's that?"

I'm only in my mid-40s, people. *sips Ensure*

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You must be younger. When I scouted for bottles to turn in for the deposit, it was 2 cents.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Pono Kai, 20 wks; Maui Schooner, 1.5 wks; 1 week Ke Nani Kai; WaveCrest Condo, Molokai, HI
Chest type soda vending machines:
ideal-55b-slider.jpg

Double entry: Royal Crown Cola:)

There was one of these at the barbershop I went to as a kid. They were big Cub fans and we are White Sox fans. The only time we ever watched the Cubs was when we had to get our hair cuts after school. More great memories.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I still have a plug-in Timex wall-clock that I bought at Woolworth's ~ 45 yrs ago.
It looks quaint on my wall, but it doesn't use batteries, and it runs like a... clock.

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
We had a Falstaff Brewery about a mile from my house on the south side of Chicago. They sponsored the White Sox for a few years and my dad always enjoyed a few until they went under. Good memories.
The OLD Comiskey ballpark.

slip

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The OLD Comiskey ballpark.

Great memories there also. We went often. My dad worked for Commonwealth Edison and he would get free tickets to a few games every year. I loved that old park. On one of my few trips back to Chicago, we went to the new park. It was new but had no history. I guess I’m just old fashioned.

Last edited:

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
They still exist (per Wikipedia). "More than 600 independently owned Piggly Wiggly stores operate in 17 states, primarily in smaller cities and towns." OTOH, A&P does not.

And one can no longer dine at Chi-Chi's or Steak & Ale. <sigh>

And shop at Red Owl
LeRoy.52.jpg

Last edited:

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I have a plug-in Timex wall-clock that I bought at Woolworth's (1879-1997) ~45 yrs ago.
It looks quaint on my wall, but it doesn't use batteries, and it runs like a... clock.

On Ellen the other day they had a challenge between Generations. The younger contestant could not read a clock. The hands said four-twenty, but she only knew digital clocks that say it this way 4:20.

(among other things)

Actually, the old dude knew more of the "new" stuff than the young lady knew of the "old" stuff, but that makes sense because she would not have been around when the old stuff was, but he has been around when the new stuff is.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
Our relatives in Minnesota called soda "pop" (with a Minnesota accent.)