• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Confirmation on how deposits of Marriott weeks to II works? And a deed question?

Great3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

I think I know the answers to my questions after lots of reading, but posting here just to get confirmation I am not mistaken on what I think I know about Marriott.

I finally decided to get into the Marriott trading game. I had been considering this for a long while (several years), about buying a Marriott unit for trading, but dropped the idea when II instituted the unit size upgrade fees.

Now a couple of years later after that change, I finally decided this is right for me. I am currently considering Marriott Grand Chateau (MGC) or Marriott Willow Ridge (MWR), for their low MF dues, and from what I been reading, good trading power when booking the right week.

I am familiar with II, as I own Wordmark and been depositing into II and trading very successfully. I get into all the Marriott's fairly easily, except for the Hawaii based Marriott's due the priority preference period. I want this priority MP trading period!!!

I plan on getting 2 a bedrooms lock off unit, and locking it off. So, from my understanding, to do this, I call Marriott up to 12 months ahead of time, and do a lock off (paying the $80 fee) and reserve both 1 bedroom and Studio units for the week I want to deposit? Do I tell Marriott to do the deposit into Interval at that time? Or do I call up II and deposit my reservation after I completed the lock off and reservation of the week with Marriott that I want to deposit? I read somewhere where someone said don't tell Marriott you are going to deposit the prime week units that you booked, but how is that possible if you have to do the deposit thru Marriott?

I assuming this is allowed right, if I buy a platinum week, I can book any week in the Platinum season as a lock off, and deposit both units (1 bedroom and studio) to II, correct?

As far as the deed is concern, I assume you get deeded with a unit number and a week number in the actual deed, but that's just for deeding purposes only, but as long as you purchase platinum season, you can reserve any Platinum week?

Also, can I just lock off and reserve the week ahead of time, and do the II deposit say a month or two later without any extra fees?

As for Marriott fees, there is only the $80 lock off fee right? I understand there's a change fee if you change the reservation dates for your booked units, but does this fee apply if you decide to deposit into II later?

I can travel any day of the year, as my work is currently flexible as far as vacation times. I am not tied to school season or anything like that, and in fact prefer to travel shoulder/off seasons. So, am I just dreaming of booking into Marriotts in Hawaii, any island, anytime, into a 1 bedroom unit or larger using MGC or MWR as a trader or is this realistic and possible? Please don’t be afraid to be bearer of bad news, if what I am seeking to do is unlikely to happen.

Thanks,
Great3

Last edited:

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
I am also interested in knowing more about Marriott II trading. Another question to add: is trading power of a STUDIO at Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Willow Ridge, or Marriott Canyon Villas usually enough to pull a TWO BEDROOM Marriott Hawaii? Is it possible to put an ongoing search for a two bedroom using a studio deposit?

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I plan on getting 2 a bedrooms lock off unit, and locking it off. So, from my understanding, to do this, I call Marriott up to 12 months ahead of time, and do a lock off (paying the $80 fee) and reserve both 1 bedroom and Studio units for the week I want to deposit? Do I tell Marriott to do the deposit into Interval at that time? Or do I call up II and deposit my reservation after I completed the lock off and reservation of the week with Marriott that I want to deposit? I read somewhere where someone said don't tell Marriott you are going to deposit the prime week units that you booked, but how is that possible if you have to do the deposit thru Marriott?
You don't have to call. You can do it online. After logging in to the Marriott owner section, you go to "Use Week" then "Reserve Week" (I check II for the TDI of weeks, then select a week with the highest TDI to reserve). Then choose "II Exchange - Owner Deposit". This may be the option referred to when they said not to tell Marriott since there is also an option for "II Exchange - Marriott Deposit". After selecting the owner deposit, you can elect reserve the entire unit or just the 1BR and/or Studio. I can't remember if Marriott then deposits or if you go to II and select your unit, then "Deposit", enter your reservation number and check in date.

I assuming this is allowed right, if I buy a platinum week, I can book any week in the Platinum season as a lock off, and deposit both units (1 bedroom and studio) to II, correct?
Yes, as long as the week is available. You can even do different weeks if you want. You have 2 years after the check in date to exchange it. I usually just reserve both at the same time with the highest TDI available.

As far as the deed is concern, I assume you get deeded with a unit number and a week number in the actual deed, but that's just for deeding purposes only, but as long as you purchase platinum season, you can reserve any Platinum week?
Correct.

Also, can I just lock off and reserve the week ahead of time, and do the II deposit say a month or two later without any extra fees?
Yes, but it won't change your end date for exchange since it's based on check in date, not the date you deposited the unit. Always deposit more than 60 days prior to check in since doing it with 59 days or less will limit you to flexchange (can search only 59 days out).

As for Marriott fees, there is only the $80 lock off fee right? I understand there's a change fee if you change the reservation dates for your booked units, but does this fee apply if you decide to deposit into II later?
Correct on the $80. No fee for depositing in II.

I debated between Grand Chateau and Grande Vista. I went with Grand Chateau and have been very happy. 51 weeks are Platinum and 1 (week 52) is Platinum Plus. I have the 3BR LO, which gives a 2BR and 1BR. I haven't noticed a difference of trading power between the 2BR and 1BR. I don't have experience with Studios. I've read mixed reviews with the vast majority being positive about getting good trades with the studio. I believe most WLR owners are happy with the exchanges, but will defer to them.

Last edited:

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
I am also interested in knowing more about Marriott II trading. Another question to add: is trading power of a STUDIO at Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Willow Ridge, or Marriott Canyon Villas usually enough to pull a TWO BEDROOM Marriott Hawaii? Is it possible to put an ongoing search for a two bedroom using a studio deposit?
Wish I had seen this before I hit enter...My 1BR sees the 2BR Hawaii inventory. There are some threads regarding the studio and trading power. I've read where owners have booked Hawaii, Newport Coast, and Hilton Head 2BRs with a studios. I'll see if I can find the thread(s). I fairly certain you can put an OGS for 2BRs if the resort's smallest unit is a 2BR, but I'll defer to studio owners.

Here are a few threads that have info on studio trades (may not have been the topic, but there are posts related to studio trades):
https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index...grand-chateau-2-bdrm-or-3-bdrm-trader.286518/

https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index...ing-to-other-marriotts-or-to-rent-out.283963/

https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index...ax-my-value-of-a-3br-gold-grand-vista.283867/

https://www.tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/grande-vista-vs-grande-chateau.275649/

Don't hesitate to ask more questions if these don't satisfy all of your questions.

Last edited:

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Look off is now $90

You can trade up in size but pay a fee.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Look off is now $90

You can trade up in size but pay a fee.
Thanks for the update on the price.
The II unit size upgrade fee is applicable to all timeshares, not just MVC. I was going to say it wasn't an MVC fee, but technically it is since they purchased ILG :)

rthib

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have two lock offs, Shadow Ridge and Canyon Villas. Both are strong and I rarely see any difference between 2bd, 1bd and Studio from what it can pull.
I always reserve myself and the deposit myself.
You can also test the week you are thinking of getting by using a fake reservation number. Just use an old Marriott hotel reservation number (just don't do trade, just use to see what is available.)

One warning is that I can say that inventory is not what it used to be and no telling what will happen if Marriott starts merging the other time share properties.

The reason I own where I own is that if I never get another trade, I am happy with just going to those locations for a long, long time.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
You can also test the week you are thinking of getting by using a fake reservation number. Just use an old Marriott hotel reservation number (just don't do trade, just use to see what is available.)
It doesn't have to be an old one, you can always use "87654321" (unless that was, in fact, an old one). I'm sure there are other "fake" reservation numbers, but that one works. I think the key is that it's 8 numbers long.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
I own a few units at Marriott Desert Springs (Palm Desert). These are about the same trading power as MGC, MWR, MCV.

First, there aren't a lot of 2 BR Marriott Hawaii units showing up. I think that most/many owners who aren't using the 2 BR Hawaii units either rent them or split them and use one and trade or rent the other. The 2 BR units probably have a MF of around $2500 plus. So the owners are paying a premium. The smarter owners won't deposit a $2500 2 BR unit hoping to exchange into a mainland place with a MF of about half.

In general, when I compare what I see with a 2 BR with an efficiency, I don't see very many 2 BR units with an efficiency. I see lots of efficiencies and a fair number of 1 BR, but often don't see the 2 BR that I can see with a bigger unit. But I see some. I recently deposited an efficiency and booked Newport Coast (all 2 BR). I also will deposit my efficiency in Palm Desert and exchange up to a 2 BR in Palm Desert. But IMHO, your odds are poor trying to use a medium-trader efficiency like the ones you mention to trade into a 2 BR in Hawaii. Yes, it can happen. But it isn't very likely.