• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

What are some things you say that make you feel old?

isisdave

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Waiohai
This is an IBM 010 keypunch, completely manual and a pain to use. But when all the 026 and 029 machines were in use, and we had to make JUST ONE TINY CHANGE, we'd use this. The chance of getting it right was maybe 60%

ibm-type-010-keypunch_1_5a152786bceaba14af447c4271756a22.jpg

And then there is my first love, the PDP-9. DEC didn't sell a lot of these. Really loved the tapes.

the_dish_pdp9_1.jpg

And then,

hqdefault.jpg
and
images

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Do you remember that small B/W Sony Walkman television? We would that Sony Walkman television to the Washington Redskins football games stadium
to watch other NFL games on Sunday’s afternoon. It used between 8 to 10 “D” batteries.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
I call places by their old names all the time.

Revco instead of CVS

Loder's instead of The Shake Shoppe

Fisher's or Rego's instead of Giant Eagle

The peeps I say them to know that I'm talking about but no one outside the family has a clue.

csxjohn

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Tropic Shores Resort, Bluegreen points
Do you remember that small B/W Sony Walkman television? We would that Sony Walkman television to the Washington Redskins football games stadium
to watch other NFL games on Sunday’s afternoon. It used between 8 to 10 “D” batteries.
I've still got mine around here somewhere, I linked two 6 volt railroad lantern batteries. Didn't put it up for sale soon enough.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Calling places by their old names... like long-gone banks.
She: "Can you take this to Barnett" (now a Bank of America).
Me: "Only if I time-travel."

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I found a picture of the first desktop computer I worked on in 1976. It could do word processing, data entry, database, communications, and games. They let me take one home and I wrote diagnostic tests and a service dispatching system for it.

Linolex%20only%201974.jpg

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Calling places by their old names... like long-gone banks.
She: "Can you take this to Barnett" (now a Bank of America).
Me: "Only if I time-travel."

Try this retort next time: The Vulcan Science Directorate has determined that time travel is impossible.

CalGalTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC, MVC Vistana
I can't use a calculator unless it is with reverse polish notation on my HP 12c. I've had the same HP12c since the early 1980s in college. Still works great!

I am so thrown off by regular calculators, that I have now added an HP12c calculator app to my smartphone. My colleagues laugh at me when I use it! (always a techie...)

upload_2019-4-10_9-42-54.png

Last edited:

artringwald

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DRI: The Point at Poipu, 3 deeded weeks, 1 of which is in The Club.
I feel old when I talk about my days on the high school track team and all the events were in yards, not meters. Our school didn't have a girls track team, because back then, women were too delicate. The girls basketball teams didn't play full court, it was a convoluted half court game, and they wore pinafores instead of basketball shorts.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I can't use a calculator unless it is with reverse polish notation on my HP 12c. I've had the same HP12c since the early 1980s in college. Still works great!

I am so thrown off by regular calculators, that I have now added an HP12c calculator app to my smartphone. My colleagues laugh at me when I use it! (always an engineer...)

View attachment 11270

I have a Bachelor of Mathematics, nearly everyone in my class had one of these HP calculators.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is an IBM 010 keypunch, completely manual and a pain to use. But when all the 026 and 029 machines were in use, and we had to make JUST ONE TINY CHANGE, we'd use this. The chance of getting it right was maybe 60%

ibm-type-010-keypunch_1_5a152786bceaba14af447c4271756a22.jpg

And then there is my first love, the PDP-9. DEC didn't sell a lot of these. Really loved the tapes.

the_dish_pdp9_1.jpg

And then,

hqdefault.jpg
and
images

I love that tape machine. When I was in High School we had a computer course that used those. We also had a weird machine that you actually had to program in binary. It was the size of a piano. After using that we went to the tape machine that I believe was a terminal for the local college computer. When in college we lerned fortran with the card deck. All fo this talk makes me feel old.

OldGuy

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
some
I feel old when I talk about my days on the high school track team and all the events were in yards, not meters.

For the brief time I was on the Track team, my event was in hours.

But I lettered in golf three years.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)

I am so thrown off by regular calculators, that I have now added an HP12c calculator app to my smartphone. My colleagues laugh at me when I use it! (always a techie...)

View attachment 11270
HP-45 and an HP-41c during my college days. I have the HP41 emulator on my phone.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Piggly Wiggly

They still exist (per Wikipedia). "More than 600 independently owned Piggly Wiggly stores operate in 17 states, primarily in smaller cities and towns." OTOH, A&P does not.

And one can no longer dine at Chi-Chi's or Steak & Ale. <sigh>

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
They still exist (per Wikipedia). "More than 600 independently owned Piggly Wiggly stores operate in 17 states, primarily in smaller cities and towns."
Yep, we shopped at one on Hilton Head last July. Hadn't seen one since growing up in Minnesota.

Kurt

talkamotta

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was and my number was Crestwood 7 5894. I can remember numbers from years ago but not the current ones. I 've started memorizing certain numbers because my cell phone is getting old and the battery runs down faster. I should get a new one but I don't want to buy another one until this is dead dead. I finally know how to use this one.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House
Anybody know what a drafting machine was? I used them to make drawings for machine tool designs.

Cheers

x3 skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Steamboat Grand, The West,
Raintree and, formerly, The Allen House

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
Anybody know what a drafting machine was? I used them to make drawings for machine tool designs.

Cheers
K&E? I used one before I got into CAD.